The Players

OmiyaHearts

Just wondering peoples thoughts about how the players will respond to the recent statement.

Will it act as a rallying cry? If the players are as fond as the manager as they say in the press, can we expect a more battling performance and and increase in tempo on the pitch?

Or is the ball burst anyway and we'll continue to struggle over the next few weeks? The statement maybe putting even more pressure on the players, which they are already clearly struggling with?

Hopefully some of the older heads in the team can take the game by the scruff of the neck. Also, got a feeling Meshino could be a match winner.

Clare, whatever you think of him, should be dropped as he needs to be taken out the firing line. 

If Smith and Naismith come back then that's a huge boost

The players seem to be behind the manager and the club. Naismith, Damour , Mulraney and some others have recently backed us to get things right.

I suppose the players aren't going to come out and slate the manager but then again they don't have to come out and back him either but they are

the players are low on confidence, that's for sure. most are not necessarily hiding, but very few want / look for the ball at throw-ins or open play. why would you want to try take a man on or attempt something different when you know if you get it wrong, you'll get dog's abuse?

yes they're all professionals, but in these circs, only the mentally rock solid can block this out from fans - e.g. Naismith.

Meshino being the current exception - but to be expected as he's new. Be interesting to see if he maintains his appetite, if he has a few bad games and fans starting booing any of his failed fancy trickery.

not saying fans should applaud every single failure either as that's wrong. 

we either need some flukey wins to get the confidence back or a new manager. New manager doesn't (and often isn't) any better than the predecessor - it's just a different voice and any improvement is 99.99% of the time shortish term. e.g. even Jose Mourhinho appears to have run his course as a manager.

Hopefully this week galvanises them into a high tempo, high quality performance which they should be capable of.   We managed to lift our game for the Cup Final after months of being poor 

I don't care about statements etc.  Its the lead up to a derby and the only thing I want to happen this week is beating that lot on Sunday.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Said on a couple of threads, old adage is definitely true, its players who get you the sack.

Over the next week, it will be easy to see where they are at on this. Personally I don't think they have lacked for effort, I believe we are caught between 2 stools at the moment, and there are yawning chasms resultantly in behind us. Balance just not right, these 2 games we need to be able to attack whilst protecting the back 4.

We just haven't done that in any game I have seen this season bar the last 16 match with Motherwell

I’ve stuck up for Clare more than most on here, but just as we did with Bobby, we need to take him out of the firing line.  Cost us two goals last week from utter lack of basic defending.

I suspect the players are feeling the pressure, but it’s what they do for 90 mins each weekend that essentially defines them so I hope they’re spending as much time on mental fitness as they are physical fitness this week.  

Whelan told us when he signed that he’s a born winner and absolutely hates losing.  Time for us to see a reaction then, put your money where your mouth is.

The ones playing just now will probably be Pee'd off as she basically rubbished them. The injured players will be loving it.

I would ask the players on Sunday to play for themselves and for the fans.

38 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

the players are low on confidence, that's for sure. most are not necessarily hiding, but very few want / look for the ball at throw-ins or open play. why would you want to try take a man on or attempt something different when you know if you get it wrong, you'll get dog's abuse?

yes they're all professionals, but in these circs, only the mentally rock solid can block this out from fans - e.g. Naismith.

Meshino being the current exception - but to be expected as he's new. Be interesting to see if he maintains his appetite, if he has a few bad games and fans starting booing any of his failed fancy trickery.

not saying fans should applaud every single failure either as that's wrong. 

we either need some flukey wins to get the confidence back or a new manager. New manager doesn't (and often isn't) any better than the predecessor - it's just a different voice and any improvement is 99.99% of the time shortish term. e.g. even Jose Mourhinho appears to have run his course as a manager.

Watched the spurs game last night. The hissing and booing from the home fans was amazing every time spurs touched the ball. Every tackle was a cheer. Every completed pass was a cheer. Yes it's European football and Tynecastle also rocks on those nights but we need to reintroduce the passion from the fans. Yes we are awful to watch. Yes we defend crap but the adrenaline rush that can accompany every roar can only help confidence. 

I for one agree levein is a lost cause but until we can change the atmosphere in the ground we aren't going to help the team. I am a total hypocrite as I won't be back to Tynecastle for a while when he is gaffer. But when I do return regardless of the gaffer I will be trying to create something to help the team 

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Did she not say that the new players need time to settle in and gel? Hardly throwing them under the bus is it.

That was another odd part of the statement. Every club has new players so why are we accepting that ours need longer to gel than at every other club in the league? It’s just another excuse that no doubt has been fed to the board by Levein.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Just wondering peoples thoughts about how the players will respond to the recent statement.

Will it act as a rallying cry? If the players are as fond as the manager as they say in the press, can we expect a more battling performance and and increase in tempo on the pitch?

Or is the ball burst anyway and we'll continue to struggle over the next few weeks? The statement maybe putting even more pressure on the players, which they are already clearly struggling with?

1. Not their fault, people keep shouting at them. Berra needs strong performances to recover from that little line. Who signed these weak minded individuals, who are clearly now looking to peddle this line as an excuse for their failure.

2. Hibs smell blood and our lot don't want it enough to give a flying **** when it gets tough.

If we get the 1st goal then anything is possible as Hibs crowd will turn inwards. Could be a cracker, but i suspect little real football on show.

TBF I think the players are putting effort. Certainly haven’t noticed a lack of effort in games. 

I think it is just a case that some aren’t good enough (Doyle, Brandon, Berra Clare, Uche, MacLean). And others maybe don’t have the fight in them. 

Who are the seasoned characters in our team that will drag us through a game when we go a goal down? 

4 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

That was another odd part of the statement. Every club has new players so why are we accepting that ours need longer to gel than at every other club in the league? It’s just another excuse that no doubt has been fed to the board by Levein.

Exactly. Every Non-OF team in the league tends to have a turn over of several first 11 players every season, it’s just the nature of the game up here. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

TBF I think the players are putting effort. Certainly haven’t noticed a lack of effort in games. 

I think it is just a case that some aren’t good enough (Doyle, Brandon, Berra Clare, Uche, MacLean). And others maybe don’t have the fight in them. 

Who are the seasoned characters in our team that will drag us through a game when we go a goal down? 

We haven't signed them yet. Hopefully in another 6 windows or so, we will release Clare and free up some wages for one.

We need balls in times like this. Sadly other than Naismith and maybe Whelan none of our current bunch have balls. We’re far too soft.

I really hope they prove me wrong on Sunday.

32 minutes ago, Gambo said:

The ones playing just now will probably be Pee'd off as she basically rubbished them. The injured players will be loving it.

I would ask the players on Sunday to play for themselves and for the fans.

Correct m8🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🤞👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Captain Canada

The players can't be happy with the lack of clear tactics, but they're not robots either. Is it too much to ask for a bit of off-the-cuff creativity once in a while? Nobody ever seems to try anything different and we just end up with the same result.

MarkDevriesScores4
3 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

The players can't be happy with the lack of clear tactics, but they're not robots either. Is it too much to ask for a bit of off-the-cuff creativity once in a while? Nobody ever seems to try anything different and we just end up with the same result.

I think the problem is that they’re instructed not to do anything off the cuff or anything creative. According to our manager, there’s nothing wrong with the creativity, it’s the defence lol

This is not an excuse for Levein but I don't think any other teams could post this injury list.... 

Pereira 

Smith

Soapy

A Another 

Garrucio

Haring 

Walker

Morrison 

Naisy

Washington 

Wighton

Maybe pushing my luck a bit here with Wighton but that is almost a full team that you wouldn't be disappointed to see taking to the field on Sunday. In fact we would be confident of a win. 

You could probably chuck Christoph on that list too as most people don't think he is 100% fit. 

Dogs in the street know Hibs are poor at the back and if, and it’s a huge if we go after them we can get a result there.

If, as expected we go there with our passive, non aggressive containment “tactic” we’ll get nothing. 

The players ken it, we ken it even Patsy ...

However I fully expect the usual approach of everyone back for corners, ball going backwards and sideways, a flooded centre midfield and very few chances.

Go on Craig, surprise me and Feckingbottom! I dare ya

Forget about all the background noise for a moment.  Sunday is a derby against Hibs.  Traditionally when Hearts back is to the wall, Hearts win this fixture.  Think the 'Relegation Party'.  I don't think we need another measure, but this Sunday is another measure of where things are.

The biggest plus for the players is it's away from home and it's against Hibs. 

If Hearts fans can't / don't get behind the team for this one then I'm quite happy to say it :-

THEY'RE NOT GENUINE FANS

1 hour ago, bigdrew1969 said:

This is not an excuse for Levein but I don't think any other teams could post this injury list.... 

Pereira 

Smith

Soapy

A Another 

Garrucio

Haring 

Walker

Morrison 

Naisy

Washington 

Wighton

Maybe pushing my luck a bit here with Wighton but that is almost a full team that you wouldn't be disappointed to see taking to the field on Sunday. In fact we would be confident of a win. 

You could probably chuck Christoph on that list too as most people don't think he is 100% fit. 

Maybe not quite as bad but Aberdeen have also been decimated with injuries this season, mcinnes said that the other day they only had 13 players train.

2 hours ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

I think the problem is that they’re instructed not to do anything off the cuff or anything creative. According to our manager, there’s nothing wrong with the creativity, it’s the defence lol

Brandon last Saturday. Receives the ball while running at pace into the Motherwell box. Not a defender near him, his side of the box deserted. Just needs to take a touch to be one-on-one with the keeper. Or shoot.

Squares the ball to no-one.

queensferryjambo

The players need to get a grip on themselves. Player for player they should at least compete in the majority of games in domestic football.

Levein might deserve a lot of criticism at the moment but our players have hardly bathed themselves in glory.

Too many of them drifting out of games and hiding when the chips are down.

The fans would really appreciate a battling performance at Easter Road not a performance of finger pointing and bickering on the pitch.

2 hours ago, bigdrew1969 said:

Pereira 

Smith

Soapy

A Another 

Garrucio

Haring 

Walker

Morrison 

Naisy

Washington 

Wighton

I'm not convinced the keeper is actually injured.  I reckon he's been sussed out and the injury is just a story to cover it up.   

34 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

The players need to get a grip on themselves. Player for player they should at least compete in the majority of games in domestic football.

Levein might deserve a lot of criticism at the moment but our players have hardly bathed themselves in glory.

Too many of them drifting out of games and hiding when the chips are down.

The fans would really appreciate a battling performance at Easter Road not a performance of finger pointing and bickering on the pitch.

100% this. 

One of the best defences on paper in the league and we ship goals so bloody easily. 

Nobody willing to step up. Playing like Cowards. 

3 hours ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

I think it's all stat based. With the man bra giving the mileage. Run the yardage and play unproductive spells of possession . Thats how we never play aggressive risky attack minded football (encouraged creativity, expression and individuality) and for once in a right good while I think we do have the players to do that.

If he's staying, as the official line states, then surely he has to change from this predictable mundane tactical offering we're being treated to every single game.

MarkDevriesScores4
1 hour ago, leginten said:

Brandon last Saturday. Receives the ball while running at pace into the Motherwell box. Not a defender near him, his side of the box deserted. Just needs to take a touch to be one-on-one with the keeper. Or shoot.

Squares the ball to no-one.

Yeah, he’s a league 2 level player. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team squad. Not his fault though. Levein should not be fielding players that are out of their depth