Ann Budge Statement today ( edited )

mitch41

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Great deal for her and the company,lots. Of small companies are bought out by large companies,fact.

Well, thank feck it was otherwise we might just have had a few funding issues come administration.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Spellczech

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

pettigrewsstylist
15 minutes ago, JamboNation said:

What I get from both the statements is she is doing the best she can for this club, you can  agree with her or not but it's hard to argue her actions are not  coming from the right place with the best intentions it's clear  that she wants Hearts to succeed whether you agree with her choice of manager or not. So do you want a CEO that has the courage of their convictions or one that will roll over if you abuse them enough ? Levien doesn't have long left but  I feel the vitriol and abuse will not make the exit  any quicker 

There is no need nor excuse for some of the rubbish being spouted. She has been and continues to be a fantastic influence on the club. Bryan Jackson in last chance saloon lives long in the memory!!!

The infrastructure work is first class and an enduring legacy.

We do seem to have got ourselves into a situation where well declared, first team plans, are failing year on year, to the point the customers patience has worn thin. The response should and could have been more imaginative.

Not convinced who wrote that statement tbh!!

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Well, thank feck it was otherwise we might just have had a few funding issues come administration.

There you go.

11 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I don't know. Ann kept referring to “the plan” but nobody seems to know what the plan is.

My reading of her explanation of the plan was that it was pretty one dimensional:

Each season after failing to meet their target in terms of results, players were deemed responsible. So we move some on and bring in others.

1.There was no reference for any responsibility for this recruitment failure, in particular the failure to find a competent goal scorer

2. The performance of the coaching staff

3. Tactics and the style of play.

4. Constant tinkering with the team.

I was particularly concerned that it appears we take each season in isolation, rather than looking to build on a core base squad with a small number of better quality players added each season.

In my view the statement is out of sync with how other aspects of the club are managed, and this heightens the view that the manager/DOF has complete autocracy where the football department is concerned.

It is unfortunate that much of the reaction to the statement centres around her ill considered use of the term "genuine Hearts fans" 

It has had the effect of distracting from what is in the football plan or rather what is not in it

Finally personal abuse of the type aimed at her is horrific and those responsible should hang their heads in shame. Ann Budge has done some wonderful things for the club, I hope she doesn't distract from her achievements by failing to properly address the football issues.

49 minutes ago, true-jambo said:

My reading of her explanation of the plan was that it was pretty one dimensional:

Each season after failing to meet their target in terms of results, players were deemed responsible. So we move some on and bring in others.

1.There was no reference for any responsibility for this recruitment failure, in particular the failure to find a competent goal scorer

2. The performance of the coaching staff

3. Tactics and the style of play.

4. Constant tinkering with the team.

I was particularly concerned that it appears we take each season in isolation, rather than looking to build on a core base squad with a small number of better quality players added each season.

In my view the statement is out of sync with how other aspects of the club are managed, and this heightens the view that the manager/DOF has complete autocracy where the football department is concerned.

It is unfortunate that much of the reaction to the statement centres around her ill considered use of the term "genuine Hearts fans" 

It has had the effect of distracting from what is in the football plan or rather what is not in it

Finally personal abuse of the type aimed at her is horrific and those responsible should hang their heads in shame. Ann Budge has done some wonderful things for the club, I hope she doesn't distract from her achievements by failing to properly address the football issues.

To be fair, she mentioned INJUREEES a lot. 

You’re right though, the “genuine”* comment has taken attention to the fact the statement was largely bollox. 

*her “money spinna” moment. 

Edited by Nookie Bear

Big Slim Stylee
16 hours ago, 7628mm said:

I am not altogether sure that someone with your position on JKB should be posting this sort of thing.

Why? What do you want him to do? Give himself a warning?

23 hours ago, ford donald said:

As far as I am aware she only ran one business,which was relatively small.Correct me if I am misinformed.

What do you think Hearts is?  What do we have, around 13,000 ST holders.  A stadium with a capacity of approximately 20k.  We’re a small business.

2 hours ago, Haken said:

What do you think Hearts is?  What do we have, around 13,000 ST holders.  A stadium with a capacity of approximately 20k.  We’re a small business.

Big difference of running a IT company to a football club.

6 hours ago, ford donald said:

Big difference of running a IT company to a football club.

True. Thankfully she’s made a good job of both. Doubled our turnover.

I have come to the conclusion that, her, "we have a plan in action agreed"is that he wins the next two games or he gets his coat, I have 

not been giving her enough credit as far as the football side of things are going, I hope, so it's "don't worry Craig, but remember where your coat is".

I think AB needs to hire a decent communications person.  Whilst Hearts are a small business our profile is higher than many large companies. Both statements made are ill advised. A decent spokesperson could have helped get the we are backing CL message out using language that wouldn’t have escalated matters.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, sandylejambo said:

I have come to the conclusion that, her, "we have a plan in action agreed"is that he wins the next two games or he gets his coat, I have 

not been giving her enough credit as far as the football side of things are going, I hope, so it's "don't worry Craig, but remember where your coat is".

The next two games should be immaterial. If she had anything about her she would know that this Levein project is a joke, regardless of whether we beat Hibs.

He needs to go. Any results now are papering over cracks as wide as my erse.

27 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The next two games should be immaterial. If she had anything about her she would know that this Levein project is a joke, regardless of whether we beat Hibs.

I'm all for him getting the bullet, but I'm giving Ann Budge the benefit of the doubt as to how things are with her and Levein.

47 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:thumbs_up:

On 20/09/2019 at 21:35, Silvery_Moon said:

There's nothing I can really add to this that hasn't already been said. 

Ann Budge has done an amazing job for us. Saved us in the beginning, got us on a sound financial footing and delivered an amazing new stand which we could have only dreamed of a few years ago. We stormed the Championship leaving Hibs and Rangers in our wake. 

The major problem is her loyalty to Craig Levein. He should have done the decent thing and walked by now, thus not putting her in such a difficult position. The fact he hasn't speaks volumes that he hasn't the same loyalty to her that she has for him. Two wins in the next two games could improve things but who really believes we are capable of that under him? The football department needs an overhaul and he needs to go ASAP. 

That’s where I am mate 

So it would appear he is going nowhere and if he does it looks like he will go back to his role as DOF based on this from the Daily Record yesterday.

Craig Levein admits he might walk away from the Hearts manager’s job – IF he makes them a top four Premiership club.

The Tynecastle boss has come under fire from supporters and pundits for taking the Jambos to the bottom of the table.

He faces a critical Edinburgh derby against Hibs at Easter Road on Sunday, knowing a defeat will pile on more pressure.

Levein is also the club’s director of football and revealed he could relinquish the gaffer’s gig once he consolidates the team in the Europa League positions.

He said: “My reason for coming back into the job was to try and get everything calm and move us forward again.

“I wanted to get us into the top four in the table on a regular basis. And I would have considered what to do after that.

“But the thing is, we’ve not managed it yet. So I’ve still got some work to do.

“I know why I came back as manager. I felt at the time Hearts were under a bit of pressure and I just wanted to get the club back on a solid footing.

“I still believe that’s perfectly possible.

“Will I walk away if we’re successful in those aims? It’s a possibility but not one I’d like to talk too much about right now.”

Levein is feeling the heat as his side haven’t won a Premiership game so far this season.

He’s been slated by former Hearts players including the likes of Michael Stewart and Gary Mackay.

But after coming through tough spells as Leicester and Scotland manager – he’s convinced that he’ll get it right.

As he prepared for the derby, he said: “Getting criticism is part of the job so there’s no point complaining about it.

“If you do, you’re probably in the wrong job. So I don’t mind it.

“But there’s valid criticism and then there’s criticism where people get a bit over-excited and start firing bullets for their own reasons.

“We’re under a bit of pressure and I understand that.

“Does it go too far at times? That’s up to the individuals who want to put their points across.

“We haven’t started the season well but we’ve got a good squad and I’m confident we’ll climb the table.

“In this job you’re under constant pressure. Every weekend you’re standing in front of people.

“It’s a simple equation. If you win the game, everyone goes home smiling. If you lose people are disgruntled. It’s an appraisal every week.

“But I’ve been through some tough moments in my career which have been difficult and I put this down as another.

“My job is to come out the other end with the team in a good condition and winning matches. That’s what I plan to do.”

Which manager will be s

Yeah, going nowhere, if he achieves top 4, which seems highly unlikely. 

He should see that hes not steadied the ship. It's the same guff football, with no tempo, no passion, no cohesive style if play. 

I thought that he might have brought back Peter Houston at some point, as maybe he was more important to Levein than even he knew..

Two victories in the next two games would really get us going again, but regardless, change is needed 

9 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

So it would appear he is going nowhere and if he does it looks like he will go back to his role as DOF based on this from the Daily Record yesterday.

Craig Levein admits he might walk away from the Hearts manager’s job – IF he makes them a top four Premiership club.

The Tynecastle boss has come under fire from supporters and pundits for taking the Jambos to the bottom of the table.

He faces a critical Edinburgh derby against Hibs at Easter Road on Sunday, knowing a defeat will pile on more pressure.

Levein is also the club’s director of football and revealed he could relinquish the gaffer’s gig once he consolidates the team in the Europa League positions.

He said: “My reason for coming back into the job was to try and get everything calm and move us forward again.

“I wanted to get us into the top four in the table on a regular basis. And I would have considered what to do after that.

“But the thing is, we’ve not managed it yet. So I’ve still got some work to do.

“I know why I came back as manager. I felt at the time Hearts were under a bit of pressure and I just wanted to get the club back on a solid footing.

“I still believe that’s perfectly possible.

“Will I walk away if we’re successful in those aims? It’s a possibility but not one I’d like to talk too much about right now.”

Levein is feeling the heat as his side haven’t won a Premiership game so far this season.

He’s been slated by former Hearts players including the likes of Michael Stewart and Gary Mackay.

But after coming through tough spells as Leicester and Scotland manager – he’s convinced that he’ll get it right.

As he prepared for the derby, he said: “Getting criticism is part of the job so there’s no point complaining about it.

“If you do, you’re probably in the wrong job. So I don’t mind it.

“But there’s valid criticism and then there’s criticism where people get a bit over-excited and start firing bullets for their own reasons.

“We’re under a bit of pressure and I understand that.

“Does it go too far at times? That’s up to the individuals who want to put their points across.

“We haven’t started the season well but we’ve got a good squad and I’m confident we’ll climb the table.

“In this job you’re under constant pressure. Every weekend you’re standing in front of people.

“It’s a simple equation. If you win the game, everyone goes home smiling. If you lose people are disgruntled. It’s an appraisal every week.

“But I’ve been through some tough moments in my career which have been difficult and I put this down as another.

“My job is to come out the other end with the team in a good condition and winning matches. That’s what I plan to do.”

Which manager will be s

Hopefully, the walking away part is taken out of his hands. The way he talks, you'd think he was the only feasible option. The language he uses about criticism suggests it is all black and white when in reality people ARE seeing flaws way beyond just the loss of points.

Edited by Riccarton3

18 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Hopefully, the walking away part is taken out of his hands. The way he talks, you'd think he was the only feasible option. The language he uses about criticism suggests it is all black and white when in reality people ARE seeing flaws way beyond just the loss of points.

He just talks utter crap most of the time.

He really doesn't get it. 

Yes, we have a good squad capable of being up the right end of the table, but that's what makes it worse! 

We see managers have teams punching way above their weight, 

He has all the tools to do the job and still can't do it! 

3 hours ago, McCrae said:

I think AB needs to hire a decent communications person.  Whilst Hearts are a small business our profile is higher than many large companies. Both statements made are ill advised. A decent spokesperson could have helped get the we are backing CL message out using language that wouldn’t have escalated matters.

Matters only escalated by wilful misinterpretation of a very measured , reasonable statement

22 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Matters only escalated by wilful misinterpretation of a very measured , reasonable statement

A carefully crafted statement would have prevented this. 

I have a lot of respect for Budge but both that statement and the follow up have been ill-advised. The fans are clearly done with Levein and if she isn't going to sack him then she needed to back him publicly without driving a further wedge in between the fans and the management.

Every club goes through bad periods - although ours has been epic in its duration - so she needs to learn how to handle the PR side much better. 

No excuse for the fans saying she should be hung though, that's disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated.

Psychedelicropcircle
34 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

doubt you’ll have the time or inclination to to break this down for the masses...

anyhoo when the time comes for AB to choke on her rather large slice of humble pie good advice would be to do so publicly 

Edited by Psychedelicropcircle

On 20/09/2019 at 13:30, i8hibsh said:

She already has our commentary team on Hearts TV on the fence neutral*, it will not be long before Scott Wilson is banging out Sunshine on Leigh, 500 miles and Fish at half time.

This is not a dig at Laurie and Jimmy btw, I think they are actually very good and I personally like Laurie but it is clear something has been said to them.

Mate, come on now - this is nonsense. During my 6 years on Hearts TV I've never once been told to be more neutral, or more biased for that matter. You are correct that most of the other club TV channels are overly biased with their coverage, but that's not what it's all about in my opinion. Yes, we will always be more focused on Hearts - good or bad - in terms of build up, looking at form and discussing the ins and outs of the match. Yes, I will always go a bit mad when Hearts score - especially a big goal - because I'm a fan and I think the subscribers like that passion to come through. But when it comes to the game itself I'm going to be as objective as I can. If Hearts are playing terrible, I'll convey that. If opposition players are playing particularly well, I'll highlight it. Some of our subscribers are only listening to the game, so I'm providing them with the narrative of the match entirely. Why would they want to be given an unbalanced story of the game? Surely they'd want to know if certain players were poor, or if the opposition were better than us? Surely they'd want an honest opinion on refereeing calls, not a maroon-tinted biased view that every decision is going against us? 

Like any commentator I'm only human, so I won't always get things right and people won't always agree with my opinion, or Jimmy's. But the way I approach my duties is to give as clear a picture of the game for the listeners and viewers, regardless of whether it's good or bad for Hearts, but let the passion spill over when we get a goal - just like we used to back in the good ol' days in the Wheatfield Stand eh! 

43 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Mate, come on now - this is nonsense. During my 6 years on Hearts TV I've never once been told to be more neutral, or more biased for that matter. You are correct that most of the other club TV channels are overly biased with their coverage, but that's not what it's all about in my opinion. Yes, we will always be more focused on Hearts - good or bad - in terms of build up, looking at form and discussing the ins and outs of the match. Yes, I will always go a bit mad when Hearts score - especially a big goal - because I'm a fan and I think the subscribers like that passion to come through. But when it comes to the game itself I'm going to be as objective as I can. If Hearts are playing terrible, I'll convey that. If opposition players are playing particularly well, I'll highlight it. Some of our subscribers are only listening to the game, so I'm providing them with the narrative of the match entirely. Why would they want to be given an unbalanced story of the game? Surely they'd want to know if certain players were poor, or if the opposition were better than us? Surely they'd want an honest opinion on refereeing calls, not a maroon-tinted biased view that every decision is going against us? 

Like any commentator I'm only human, so I won't always get things right and people won't always agree with my opinion, or Jimmy's. But the way I approach my duties is to give as clear a picture of the game for the listeners and viewers, regardless of whether it's good or bad for Hearts, but let the passion spill over when we get a goal - just like we used to back in the good ol' days in the Wheatfield Stand eh! 

Should read - you are nonsense....😉

Need to get a wee collage of audio clips of Mark and yourselves best going nuts at a goal commentaries for the podcast mate.

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Should read - you are nonsense....😉

Need to get a wee collage of audio clips of Mark and yourselves best going nuts at a goal commentaries for the podcast mate.

alwaysthereinspirit
5 hours ago, Laurie said:

I watch overseas. You guys are definitely not "home town" biased. I've turned off game commentary being broadcast through the other teams feed with their commentary. It's been horrendous at times. I'd say Motherwell has been the closest to Hearts World with regards to fair commentary.  They comment on the obvious. Same as you guys. Keep up the good work.

On 20/09/2019 at 21:35, Silvery_Moon said:

There's nothing I can really add to this that hasn't already been said. 

Ann Budge has done an amazing job for us. Saved us in the beginning, got us on a sound financial footing and delivered an amazing new stand which we could have only dreamed of a few years ago. We stormed the Championship leaving Hibs and Rangers in our wake. 

The major problem is her loyalty to Craig Levein. He should have done the decent thing and walked by now, thus not putting her in such a difficult position. The fact he hasn't speaks volumes that he hasn't the same loyalty to her that she has for him. Two wins in the next two games could improve things but who really believes we are capable of that under him? The football department needs an overhaul and he needs to go ASAP. 

Happy to eat my words to a certain extent. 

Two massive wins delivered so all credit due.