Wester Hailes at 50

EH11_2NL

13 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

That’s where I lived. The square right next to the terminus. (Calder View) 25 years from 74-99 👍🏻

I knew a really pretty lassie from there who unfortunately got involved with a bad crowd and ended wasting away on heroin. She sadly destroyed her relationship with my pal who'd known her for years. Not heard anything since and wouldn't be surprised if she is dead.

Edited by Marvin

...a bit disco

My parents moved to Hailesland Gardens in 1970 from Dalgety Street. "High amenity housing" as it was then known.

Only vacated the flat when my dad died a coup.e of years ago. I'm still in Wester Hailes though. Morvenside these days.

Dumbryden Primary and WHEC for me. Good schools both.

Living here never done me any harm. Avoided the local drugs culture quite easily. 

A decent enough place to stay and some very fond memories of my youth.

Edited by ...a bit disco

12 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Does anyone one know where you can get info on the history of the area and how it became populated?

Obviously Edinburgh was growing and folk moved out from town to the new housing, but I’m sure I read a snippet years ago there was an influx from Glasgow? 

My Dad’s side were from Gorgie, middle of town but my Mum’s family were originally Whitburn. 

My Grandad was a miner and moved through in the 40s to Newcraighall then all the way back to the Calders.  

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but there's a bit of info here on when building started etc.

https://sites.google.com/a/whhealthagency.org.uk/home/physical-activities/walking-group2/social-history-walk-details-and-further-information/additional-information-pages/1-wester-hailes-time-line

5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Cheers mate👍🏻

19 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

What was there before Wester Hailes? Wasteland? Fields? 

Farm land in the main, but also allotments and small holdings. The old Wester Hailes Road wound up through the fields to the Lanark Road. It was called Theives Road at one time. The Murray Burn was not piped in at that time and was open backing on to Sighthill Drive. A very rural place in the fifties.

Edited by Deevers

been here before
19 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

What was there before Wester Hailes? Wasteland? Fields? 

50 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Farm land in the main, but also allotments and small holdings. The old Wester Hailes Road wound up through the fields to the Lanark Road. It was called Theives Road at one time. The Murray Burn was not piped in at that time and was open backing on to Sighthill Drive. A very rural place in the fifties.

Right lets see if Ive got this right...

Before-

20190920_213503.jpg.319b407821301f16cc5aedf2f3d1685c.jpg

Current-

20190920_214343.jpg.b6e44563ef6623beccf3c2d334e22d46.jpg

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Before-

Current-

Thought that map was reversed but it's not.   It's just viewed with south at the top.    

been here before
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Thought that map was reversed but it's not.   It's just viewed with south at the top.    

Aye. The top pic I found online. Im presuming the dark oblong bottom left of it is the old Hailes Quarry with Kingsknowe golf course above it and the dark line about 2/3rds of the way down the canal.

The bottom one is Google maps turned upside down.

Edited by been here before

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Aye. The top pic I found online. Im presuming the dark oblong bottom left of it is the old Hailes Quarry with Kingsknowe golf course above it and the dark line about 2/3rds of the way down the canal.

The bottom one is Google maps turned upside down.

Correct.    You can see the supermarket and high flats near the old quarry.

been here before
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Correct.    You can see the supermarket and high flats near the old quarry.

I think the woods at Westburn are in the top picture too, right hand side about a 1/4 of the way in. They're about the only natural feature temaining in the new picture.

Edited by been here before

1 minute ago, been here before said:

I think the woods at Westburn are in the top picture too, right hand side about a 1/4 of the way in. They're about the only natural feature temaining in the new picture.

Yes the Westburn woods are in both.   Different shape.    Directly below the word 'of' in City of Edinburgh Bypass.

Great pic.

I was born and brought up in Parkhead Crescent at bottom of pic 54 years ago.

I have seen pics of me as a nipper and it was just fields behind the back dyke which is now Murrayburn Road.

The Murray burn used to run in front the houses and was piped in probably around when they cut the canal.

Every summer you could see the run of the pipe under the park in front of the crescent as the grass always seemed to die off over it.

The Quarry was always dry when i was old enough to venture up there but can anyone remember the methane gas that would leak up and people would light it?

Talking of fires i remember there being a tyre dump up by where the canal began again at Dumbryden that caught fire and burnt for days.

44 minutes ago, been here before said:

Before-

Current-

Yep, certainly as I remember it as a youngster.  The Calders were prefabs at that time a wee community on their own. I remember the farm manager for Barberton Farm was quite character who had served in the Black and Tans. 

Diadora Van Basten

I used to stay at my grandparents house on Calder Road that looked out to the high rise flats when I was young and really wanted to live in those flats when I grew up.