Champions League 2019/20

kila

Malinga the Swinga

Would be fantastic for football if Salzburg and Napoli went through. Two teams who play terrific football and deserve to qualify. Would be a terrible shame if Liverpool lost players through injury wouldn't it?

Chelsea will stroll through which means Valencia or Ajax will go out. The ludicrous refereeing that Chelsea benefitted from against Ajax may come back and bite them, but you never know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• CJGJ

• The Internet

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jurgen-klopp-refusing-accept-excuses-21060969

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/12/09/jurgen-klopp-insists-liverpool-ready-proper-fight-against-sazlburg/

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says his players will ‘run for their lives’ to defend their European title as he prepared for a lucrative group decider against a confident Salzburg.

Klopp arrived for the press conference at the Red Bull Arena in what he called ‘competition mode’, stressing Liverpool’s European ambitions have not been diluted by last year’s victory, nor compromised by a demanding fixture list

“We are a group which is in the most intense period of our lives and we will try to enjoy it. It is difficult, no doubt about that, but that is nothing that can stop us,” said Klopp.

“We know our schedule. We know where we have to go. We played three days ago a tough game, six days ago a very tough game. We play in another in four days a very tough game. Then we fly to Qatar. We don’t expect drops. We don’t accept drops - not just me the boys as well. We ask ourselves for the highest concentration. Then we will see what we get for it.

There could be anywhere between £40-£60 million at stake if Liverpool make the latter stages again. They face a bullish opponent, teenage striker Erling Haaland vowing to score a hat-trick in a 3-1 win.

“We are ready for a proper fight,” said Klopp.

“Two weeks ago Napoli were celebrating the point at Liverpool thinking they ‘only’ play Genk in the next game. Salzburg won against Genk and were celebrating they have the chance to play against Liverpool. Two weeks later, Napoli knows they must play against Genk - a football team - and Salzburg must play against Liverpool. We have to make Salzburg realise after all the positive things... bang…it’s difficult. It’s Liverpool. It should not be easy and we have to make sure it is not easy.”

Klopp was in feisty mood as he underlined his respect for the Austrian opponent. He took exception to a reference to the last meeting with Tuesday’s opponents  - a 4-3 win at Anfield - being treated like ‘a friendly’ by Salzburg players, especially when asked how he would ensure his player did not demonstrate complacency. 

Video of his rival manager, Jesse Marsch, chastising his players for treating the first half of the last game as such was circulated on social media. Klopp said at the time he would resign if a club he managed ever released such private material.

“You've seen the first game and that wasn't a friendly,” said Klopp.

“I don't have to explain this to my players, this is not a problem for me. We know that we are playing against a very strong opponent. We are highly motivated, so please don't ask these questions again.

“It is not that I expect us to go through. I just expect us to play the best game we can.

“We are not a typical Champions League winner. We are still ambitious like crazy and we will go for everything. We will run for our lives, plus play football. It is not that we come here and think we have to dominate Salzburg. We will fight for each challenge, 100 per cent, like Salzburg did at Anfield. Against us, it must be different to all other football games.” 

Liverpool’s players know pride is also at stake as they crave another series of knockout games in the final stages of the elite competition, thus avoiding the indignity of dropping into the Europa League.

“We want to go until the end again. We have nothing better to do at the end of May or whenever the final is played,” said Klopp.

Edited by CJGJ

Tuesday 10th December 2019

FC Red Bull Salzburg v Liverpool

Napoli v KRC Genk

Borussia Dortmund v Slavia Prague

Inter Milan v Barcelona

Benfica v Zenit St. Petersburg

Lyon v RB Leipzig

Ajax v Valencia

Chelsea v Lille

Looking for wins for Liverpool, Napoli, Inter, Valencia and Lille. Couldn’t care about the others.

Edited by Morgan

Crucially we find out the Europa League teams. 

I'll go for Valencia, Zenit St Petersburg, Inter Milan, Liverpool. 

Tomorrow - Bruges, Red Star Belgrade, Dinamo Zagreb, Bayer Leverkuson 

Edited by Mikey1874

Bridge of Djoum

Watching Henderson and Salah standing over a free kick 30 yards out, whispering behind their hands like they're Secret Service agents. Then punt it straight over the bar.

FFS, just get on with it you utter bell ends.

32 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

How did Salah score from that angle? Great finish. 

Missed sitters. He was bloody infuriating tonight

1 hour ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Watching Henderson and Salah standing over a free kick 30 yards out, whispering behind their hands like they're Secret Service agents. Then punt it straight over the bar.

FFS, just get on with it you utter bell ends.

Yes the European champions consist of bell ends....very good ones though and the best you have seen this season

Chelsea go 2-0 up from a corner

Looking good to qualify

English teams cannot be drawn together in the last 16..should say sides from the same country not just England

Valancia v Ajax brawl breaks out and cheating players cause mayhem again..player dives then is hauled up then amazingly given his injury the player who dived gets up and rubs his head into an Ajax player who then hits the deck...just a bunch of cheats

Ajax out as it stands

Inter on their way out as well

Edited by CJGJ

Wednesday 11th December 2019

Club Bruges v Real Madrid

PSG v Galatasaray

Bayern Munich v Tottenham Hotspur

Olympiakos v Red Star Belgrade

Dinamo Zagreb v Manchester City

Shakhtar Donetsk v Atalanta

Atletico Madrid v Locomotiv Moscow

Bayer 04 Leverkusen v Juventus

I want wins for Madrid, Galatasaray, Spurs, Zagreb, Atletico and Juve. 

Don’t care about the other two games though.

Just now, Morgan said:

Wednesday 11th December 2019

Club Bruges v Real Madrid

PSG v Galatasaray

Bayern Munich v Tottenham Hotspur

Olympiakos v Red Star Belgrade

Dinamo Zagreb v Manchester City

Shakhtar Donetsk v Atalanta

Atletico Madrid v Locomotiv Moscow

Bayer 04 Leverkusen v Juventus

I want wins for Madrid, Galatasaray, Spurs, Zagreb, Atletico and Juve. 

Don’t care about the other two games though.

A win for Atalanta and Red Star and Zagreb being defeated would remove two teams whose countries are close to us in the country coefficients.

Always the coefficient, mate !

😎

1 minute ago, Boab said:

A win for Atalanta and Red Star and Zagreb being defeated would remove two teams whose countries are close to us in the country coefficients.

Always the coefficient, mate !

😎

Ach, you look too deep into this, Boab!

:biggrin:

Just now, Morgan said:

Ach, you look too deep into this, Boab!

:biggrin:

I have a deep dislike of the League Cup Group stage, mate !

I’d rather have an opportunity to go on a jolly, even if I can’t say their name drunk or sober !

The Old Tolbooth
20 minutes ago, Boab said:

I have a deep dislike of the League Cup Group stage, mate !

I’d rather have an opportunity to go on a jolly, even if I can’t say their name drunk or sober !

Aww come on, what's wrong with Cove Rangers away on a balmy night in June with the shorts on? :lol: 

As an aside, I hope Liverpool get Real Madrid in the next round, I want revenge on that mob! 

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

Aww come on, what's wrong with Cove Rangers away on a balmy night in June with the shorts on? :lol: 

As an aside, I hope Liverpool get Real Madrid in the next round, I want revenge on that mob! 

😁

Rather dip my toes in the Med than the North Sea, mate.

Balmy in Aberdeen is about 10 degrees !

The Old Tolbooth
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

😁

Rather dip my toes in the Med than the North Sea, mate.

Balmy in Aberdeen is about 10 degrees !

It's a fair point, we'd end up in the Faroes though! :D 

16 minutes ago, Boab said:

Ok, mon ami, that’s Zagreb oot !

Coming up, The Greeks to beat the Serbs !

Some result for the wee Man. City, Boab!

I’m starting to get into this co-efficient lark!

I’m also, right now, starting to get into this beer lark.  :cheers:

Just now, Morgan said:

Some result for the wee Man. City, Boab!

I’m starting to get into this co-efficient lark!

I’m also, right now, starting to get into this beer lark.  :cheers:

On the Chianti !

Apologies in advance if I don’t post later. Fingers like pig’s tits when I get on the wine !

1 minute ago, Boab said:

On the Chianti !

Apologies in advance if I don’t post later. Fingers like pig’s tits when I get on the wine !

Enjoy, Boab!

Pig’s tits.  :rofl:

Icardi puts PSG ahead and he has been an excellent signing

Excellent forward line with Neymar Mbappe and Icardi to call on with Cavani in reserve as well as Di Maria

edit 2-0

Edited by CJGJ

All the usual clubs back in the last 16.  Wonder if Chinese trillionaires will start investing heavily in other European clubs like Birmingham City for example.

Will the current Saudi and russian/American backed  giants be displaced.

Personally, I couldn't care less.  I have no interest in the PSGs of this world and I never will.  Hope we are never part of it.

Give me a full blooded Fife derby any day of the week.

Some of the crowds at the last round of SC fixtures were fantastic.

Real football.

Expect I'll need the tin hat now.

• 2 months later...

Tuesday 18th February 2020

Atletico Madrid v Liverpool

Borussia Dortmund v PSG

Wednesday 19th February 2020

Atalanta v Valencia

Tottenham Hotspur v RB Leipzig

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Tuesday 18th February 2020

Atletico Madrid v Liverpool

Borussia Dortmund v PSG

Wednesday 19th February 2020

Atalanta v Valencia

Tottenham Hotspur v RB Leipzig

Predictions? 

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Predictions? 

Draw in Madrid.

Draw in Dortmund.

Away win for Valencia.

Home win for Spurs.

12 minutes ago, kila said:

Liverpool and BVB

BTTS in both

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Draw in Madrid.

Draw in Dortmund.

Away win for Valencia.

Home win for Spurs.

I think Atletico Madrid might beat Liverpool but get knocked out at Anfield. Liverpool haven’t got the best away record in the Champions League but if the tie is live you always fancy them to finish the job at home. Dortmund v PSG could be a great game.

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I used to enjoy Champions league matches but lost interest many years ago. 

Sort of post someone who lacks a BT Sports subscription would write

The knock out stages have still been good entertainment the last couple of years I think, the Liverpool come back against Barcelona etc.

27 minutes ago, kila said:

Sort of post someone who lacks a BT Sports subscription would write

The knock out stages have still been good entertainment the last couple of years I think, the Liverpool come back against Barcelona etc.

I did have a BT sports subscription but cancelled it as I wasn’t really watching Champions League matches. 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I did have a BT sports subscription but cancelled it as I wasn’t really watching Champions League matches. 

Once SPFL goes fully Sky next season I'll likely ditch BT Sport

Shame the Champions League is no longer on free channels (other than the final)

4 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think Atletico Madrid might beat Liverpool but get knocked out at Anfield. Liverpool haven’t got the best away record in the Champions League but if the tie is live you always fancy them to finish the job at home. Dortmund v PSG could be a great game.

I’ve got bts and draws on both games Double 17/1.