Dunkirk migrant camp cleared ?

Jambothump

Many are said to be Iraqi, I know someone,born and raised in Edinburgh, for past 8 years, lives and works in Erbil, Iraq. Back regularly and moves freely in Europe, he's mid 40's. Life there is wonderful, a lawyer, so everything taken with a pinch of salt ! His family are ethnic Kudistans, if that makes a difference ? Iraq is not Iran !

Thing is, how do all these migrants, get into France so easily, but not the UK ?

1 minute ago, Jambothump said:

Many are said to be Iraqi, I know someone,born and raised in Edinburgh, for past 8 years, lives and works in Erbil, Iraq. Back regularly and moves freely in Europe, he's mid 40's. Life there is wonderful, a lawyer, so everything taken with a pinch of salt ! His family are ethnic Kudistans, if that makes a difference ? Iraq is not Iran !

Thing is, how do all these migrants, get into France so easily, but not the UK ?

Maybe because the UK is an island!!!

57 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Maybe because the UK is an island!!!

Not anymore, there's a tunnel connecting us to mainland europe 😧

3 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Not anymore, there's a tunnel connecting us to mainland europe 😧

One you can freely access and walk through? Or is it one you’d need to present a passport at to use the transport?

its far easier to cross borders freely over land than it is over sea. 

AlphonseCapone
14 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

I think I'd rather be Iranian. 

56 minutes ago, gjcc said:

One you can freely access and walk through? Or is it one you’d need to present a passport at to use the transport?

its far easier to cross borders freely over land than it is over sea. 

Granted, but these folk are nothing if not inventive and determined.

56 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I think I'd rather be Iranian. 

That is one bad place, I just thank everyday, I am Scottish, even though we are subjugated by ersehole neighbours 😬

AlphonseCapone

That is one bad place, I just thank everyday, I am Scottish, even though we are subjugated by ersehole neighbours 😬

We are ridiculously fortunate. 

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Subjugated? 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Subjugated? 

By financial means, not for the well being of the populance, but to prevent the ruin of the hoi poloi after the Darien project.

Led later to sheep farming and highland clearances to the detriment of the ordinary people.

Go on, tell me I am wrong ?

This thread isn't about that, my initial question, was how or why France ended up with the migrant camps they have ?

IIRC the english gave us £396,000 in silver to give up our parliament, Darien chest, can be seen in Museum of Scotland.

Not sure if Scottish or english £'s, Scottish at that time was worth 1/12th of sterling £'s.

This country was sold out by land owners, because of their failed Darien investment.

Ok then, the trade links, they got through this "partnership" , bought their Georgian town houses in Edinburgh and Glasgow, through money made in the slave trade. Then the railways came,so they all fecked off to London, where they have stayed ever since, laughing up their sleeves at us arseholes.

26 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

By financial means, not for the well being of the populance, but to prevent the ruin of the hoi poloi after the Darien project.

Led later to sheep farming and highland clearances to the detriment of the ordinary people.

Go on, tell me I am wrong ?

This thread isn't about that, my initial question, was how or why France ended up with the migrant camps they have ?

Because a lot of the migrants have been sold the lie that the UK is the land of milk & honey and the streets are paved with gold.

Of course I don't mean that literally but they have been told that there are plenty of jobs, houses, schools etc etc etc, and when you have nothing and get nothing from the French state, then you're gonna look across the channel with envious eyes, add on that many already have family here already.

But once they pay the people smugglers their last dollars/euros and get to Britain the reality more than often doesn't match the lie they've been sold, but by then it's too late, if they are unlucky and don't reach family they are often exploited by the gangs of people smugglers whom sometimes they owe money to.

58 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Not for long.

Better off going to the Netherlands/Sweden ? and getting a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast !

57 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Because a lot of the migrants have been sold the lie that the UK is the land of milk & honey and the streets are paved with gold.

Of course I don't mean that literally but they have been told that there are plenty of jobs, houses, schools etc etc etc, and when you have nothing and get nothing from the French state, then you're gonna look across the channel with envious eyes, add on that many already have family here already.

But once they pay the people smugglers their last dollars/euros and get to Britain the reality more than often doesn't match the lie they've been sold, but by then it's too late, if they are unlucky and don't reach family they are often exploited by the gangs of people smugglers whom sometimes they owe money to.

Why, or how did France let them in ? It must be giving them a bigger headache now, than patrolling their own borders ?

Francis Albert
41 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Confused by your ? Wish to explain ?

Obviously I am questioning whether "subjugation", given what the word actually means, is appropriate.

It is an odd sort of subjugation when a country is given the option of independence in a free election and chooses not to take it. A sort of subjugation that every truly subjugated people in history would have (and would today) certainly envy.

But then I know a certain strand of Scottish Nationalism has already unilaterally declared independence from the English language.

26 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Why, or how did France let them in ? It must be giving them a bigger headache now, than patrolling their own borders ?

Open borders, gone are the days of border checks, once you are on mainland Europe people can travel by road pretty much where they want with little or no checks, which is all their christmas wishes come true for the people smugglers, besides France must have thousands of miles of border, they can't police every road, every border crossing.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Open borders, gone are the days of border checks, once you are on mainland Europe people can travel by road pretty much where they want with little or no checks, which is all their christmas wishes come true for the people smugglers, besides France must have thousands of miles of border, they can't police every road, every border crossing.

And the camps in and around the Channel ports and Eurotunnel reflect the fact that the UK is a popular target destination. 

25 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

And the camps in and around the Channel ports and Eurotunnel reflect the fact that the UK is a popular target destination. 

Exactly, it's no coincidence the camps are where they are.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Obviously I am questioning whether "subjugation", given what the word actually means, is appropriate.

It is an odd sort of subjugation when a country is given the option of independence in a free election and chooses not to take it. A sort of subjugation that every truly subjugated people in history would have (and would today) certainly envy.

But then I know a certain strand of Scottish Nationalism has already unilaterally declared independence from the English language.

Our beliefs are certainly different, which saddens me, so lets just leave it there. Been enough bickering about this on this site already.

Still cant get my head around, how France ended up with all these migrants, stopped at border, "its ok, we're just going to engerlund"

No,  that's to Ireland, keep up ☺

But... 

The main route to Britain previously for 'illegals' was through Ireland. Due to no passport checks. 

Illegals like Americans and South Africans mostly. 

Edited by Mikey1874

France is massive, its surrounded by mountains, sea and roads. 

There are a shit load of ways in, if you think that they can protect their borders then you're off your head. 

They're not here because they want to be, most of them are desperate for a better life without being bombed. 

52 minutes ago, The Brow said:

France is massive, its surrounded by mountains, sea and roads. 

There are a shit load of ways in, if you think that they can protect their borders then you're off your head. 

They're not here because they want to be, most of them are desperate for a better life without being bombed. 

If that is the case then they are safe in France are they not

Just now, The Brow said:

Safe from military bombardment 

What is the difference between France and the UK then ?

How are they safer in the UK than France and why should they be allowed to enter the UK if there is no material difference 

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

What is the difference between France and the UK then ?

How are they safer in the UK than France and why should they be allowed to enter the UK if there is no material difference 

Why are you asking me? Im fairly sure you know the differences between France & the UK. I also didnt say they should all be allowed in as I also dont think thats just our issue. Ideally you'd spread them out over Europe. 

53 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Meant to claim asylum in first safe country. So not France. 

Exactly but as Italy, Germany, France, Hungary, Poland, etc etc etc etc know the desired destination is UK, they are/have been ushered through with an "oh we never saw them"... 

This is exactly the type of thing that got Brexit the go-ahead. (and Boris' magic bus), These are the border controls those down south desire. 

For the record, I voted remain.

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Jambothump said:

Our beliefs are certainly different, which saddens me, so lets just leave it there. Been enough bickering about this on this site already.

Still cant get my head around, how France ended up with all these migrants, stopped at border, "its ok, we're just going to engerlund"

As has been explained there are no border controls between France and most of its neighbours (I think Switzerland is the  only exception and the border there is pretty permeable too) so there is no need to answer the question you suggest. From Belgium, Germany, France, Italy  and Spain there are open borders with no controls. And between those countries and other members of the Shengen area there are no controls.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, The Brow said:

Why are you asking me? Im fairly sure you know the differences between France & the UK. I also didnt say they should all be allowed in as I also dont think thats just our issue. Ideally you'd spread them out over Europe. 

The free movement of people/labour is one of the fundamental principles of the EU, so how do you "spread them out"?

Edited by Francis Albert

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The free movement of people/labour is one of the fundamental principles of the EU, so how do you "spread them out"?

Note the use of the word 'ideally'. 

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Note the use of the word 'ideally'. 

In other words, you can't.Without breaching a fundamental principle of the EU which has been clung to during the Brexit "negotiations".

15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

In other words, you can't.Without breaching a fundamental principle of the EU which has been clung to during the Brexit "negotiations".

I'm no politician thankfully. Its all a mess that is a lot of our own making ('our' being UK and collectively Europe). 

Not been on mainland Europe since Praque in 2006, went by JKB bus !

Previous to that, building Eurodisney in 1998 travelled by road, fairly stringent border checks then.

8 hours ago, Jambothump said:

Not been on mainland Europe since Praque in 2006, went by JKB bus !

Previous to that, building Eurodisney in 1998 travelled by road, fairly stringent border checks then.

That's 20 years ago mate, a hell of a lot has changed on mainland Europe since 1998, even since 2006 a lot has changed.

I was on a coach tour last year, we were based in Belgium and crossed over to France a few times and vice versa, we were never stopped, indeed there were no border controls whatsoever, that I seen, in fact can't even recall seeing a sign saying 'Welcome to France' or 'Welcome to Belgium', your on the motorway & one minute you are in Belgium the next your in France.

The only checks we got were at Folkstone before we entered the tunnel, no checks on the French side just drove straight off the train into France, then on the way back, it was pretty much the same, the French just waved us through the border post, it was the British who carried out the passport checks, searching the bus etc etc at the French end before we entered the tunnel on the way home.