• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

All roads lead to Gorgie

England should be out of sight but there is still scope for New Zealand to come back but I can't see it as the English look so strong.

Try New Zealand so still a chance this game could go either way!

Malinga the Swinga

Horrendous decision making from Barrett. Clear your lines and get some territory instead of attempting stupid offload. Lucky to avoid conceding try.

Maybe a lesson in expending too much energy in a silly pre-match dance for the New Zealanders.

😡

England have been very comfortable in all honesty.

Seymour M Hersh
47 minutes ago, AW1 said:

Every time England play at any sport I hear the exact same rhetoric. It gets rather boring. I'd never moan if a Scot was bigging up Scotland 

Suit yourself but when it comes to football and rugby I want the English beaten every time. And it's the English media who annoy me much more than the players themselves (although Farrell is a sherman tank). 

They been the better team today and will deserve their win but the media will now be unbearable. As good as the kiwis were against Ireland they've been poor against England. 

1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

Maybe a lesson in expending too much energy in a silly pre-match dance for the New Zealanders.

😡

England have been very comfortable in all honesty.

Could have been a lot more. Thanks to whoever shouted the England odds at half-time. Stuck a tenner on it as I thought they were overpriced.

Malinga the Swinga

And so onto tomorrow where the power of South Africa meets the mind numbing dourness of Wales. Will be a hard game for whoever wins as England looking good.

New Zealand very disappointing and reverted to the team who lost to SA and Australia earlier this year.

All roads lead to Gorgie

A Vern Cotter managed Scotland might even have beaten the All Blacks today :)

annushorribilis III
Just now, 132goals1958 said:

Never expected to witness the All Blacks to be so totally outplayed. England were simply immense and should have won by more.

Totally agree. England were better all over the pitch and could have destroyed NZ today with a bit of luck. Two tries disallowed and so close on 2 or 3 occasions in the 1st half. 

Brighton Jambo
8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Suit yourself but when it comes to football and rugby I want the English beaten every time. And it's the English media who annoy me much more than the players themselves (although Farrell is a sherman tank). 

They been the better team today and will deserve their win but the media will now be unbearable. As good as the kiwis were against Ireland they've been poor against England. 

As an Englishman living in Scotland I recognise the media view but I don’t know what you expect to be honest.  Do you think any other country would be different, in fact many countries would be far more partisan.

Also if Scotland reached a World Cup final do you think the Scottish media would be doing any different? 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

As an Englishman living in Scotland I recognise the media view but I don’t know what you expect to be honest.  Do you think any other country would be different, in fact many countries would be far more partisan.

Also if Scotland reached a World Cup final do you think the Scottish media would be doing any different? 

You missed an opportunity to get 1966 there. 

6 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Your regular reminder that Seymour, who doesn't support Scotland in any serious sense - he just supports ABE at every single tournament in anything at all - is a Liverpool fan, who forever gives it large about them. That's Liverpool, who have plenty of English players and play in England.

But Seymour doesn't do logic. Only bitterness. 

Well Done England. By far the better team. Dominated from start to finish.. 

I don't mind the England rugby team cause they back up there confidence by winning.. 

Never liked there football team as their confidence is bullshit because they are actually sh*t... 

The most amazing thing about that game is we could - arguably, should - have won it by about 30 points. We gave them their only score; we had two tries correctly disallowed, and we left other chances begging too. As a result, there was a brief period in the second half when I was in a blind panic, along with millions of other English people too I'd imagine. 

I loved the mutual respect between both sides at the end. And I especially loved that England didn't over-celebrate at all. Cheeks puffed out, job done, and on to an even tougher task next weekend. A game I still think we'll lose provided the Boks get through tomorrow. 

An absolute shedload of dosh has been spent on this England setup. But I can scarcely get over how well coached it is, how disciplined it is and how versatile it is. We walloped Australia by counter-attacking last week. We walloped New Zealand with great attacking play, then excellent game management, this week. That's Eddie's work. Two World Cup semi-finals as clear underdogs against the All Blacks... and he's won both by 12 points! 

And yet... I still doubt we can play that well twice on the bounce. And the thing is, South Africa are better than New Zealand. After their pool game, I felt "they won't get caught napping like that again" - and if we're building round by round, so are they. They're still my favourites as things stand... but it's such a pleasure to have finally seen England beat the All Blacks in this tournament. There was a long, long, long time when I thought it'd never happen.

3 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Never liked there football team as their confidence is bullshit because they are actually sh*t... 

4th in the world is shit? 4th out of about 200 nations is shit? Right you are.

Matt Dawson

England World Cup winner on BBC Radio 5 Live

England fans - get on the internet, book your flights, get your hotel rooms and get yourself to Tokyo! England have the most incredible chance at winning this trophy. Can we honestly see anyone taking these boys on next week?

Right, that's me rooting for the other team whoever that may be. 😄

17 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I've always said The Year Which Must Not Be Named is obsessed over far, far less by us than by certain small-minded beyond belief Scots.

Exhibit A above.

21 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Do you think any other country would be different, in fact many countries would be far more partisan.

Which indeed they are. You should hear Kiwi, Aussie or Saffa commentators! And strangely, when an English commentator got incredibly excited about an English team winning the Champions League, I can't recall our correspondent complaining about it at all.

Funny, that.

didn't watch the match but it sounded like NZ played like they did at the beginning of their opening game v south africa. just this time they never turned it around

12 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Matt Dawson

England World Cup winner on BBC Radio 5 Live

England fans - get on the internet, book your flights, get your hotel rooms and get yourself to Tokyo! England have the most incredible chance at winning this trophy. Can we honestly see anyone taking these boys on next week?

Absolute arsehole.

Why do former England rugby and football players turn into complete and utter pricks whenever they move into the media? Jermaine Jenas: "Sweden are quite like Burnley". Rio Ferdinand: "I think England will beat Croatia 3-0". Jeremy Guscott every ****ing week ever since he retired. And now this. FFS.

Edited by shaun.lawson

willie wallace
33 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The difference is there is no Scottish media in England where as it the exact opposite here.

Anyway it will knock Brexit off the front pages for a few days😄

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

England were excellent, made New Zealand look like mugs.

England being good, New Zealand being shite or a combination of the two?

I have no clue about rugby so can't really comment...

Just now, Stokesy said:

England being good, New Zealand being shite or a combination of the two?

I have no clue about rugby so can't really comment...

Hard to tell. New Zealand played dreadfully but I think a lot of that was down to the line speed England brought to the game. 

Is this the first ever northern hemisphere final then?

No.  Because SA play Wales.  Was thinking it was France 

Edited by Victorian

Just now, Victorian said:

Is this the first ever northern hemisphere final then?

The Brexit final? Please God no. I've loved watching good or great Wales sides over the years. This one just pisses me off.

I'm confident SA will win tomorrow, but I also very much want them to - and if we lose the final to them, so be it. Their transformation over the last couple of years has been sensational, and this is the first Springbok team I can ever recall which looks completely, 100% comfortable with itself in all aspects. No politics, no quotas, no racial issues... blacks and whites as equals under a fantastic coach.

Just now, shaun.lawson said:

The Brexit final? Please God no. I've loved watching good or great Wales sides over the years. This one just pisses me off.

I'm confident SA will win tomorrow, but I also very much want them to - and if we lose the final to them, so be it. Their transformation over the last couple of years has been sensational, and this is the first Springbok team I can ever recall which looks completely, 100% comfortable with itself in all aspects. No politics, no quotas, no racial issues... blacks and whites as equals under a fantastic coach.

I don't want Wales in the final. They have proved time and time again they know how to beat whatever England team that is put in front of them and imo they are the best team to never win a world Cup. They are overdue. 

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Hard to tell. New Zealand played dreadfully but I think a lot of that was down to the line speed England brought to the game. 

Rugby's a funny game. It takes so, so much out of the players physically and emotionally. Last week, plenty of knowledgeable New Zealanders thought it was their best performance in many years - while Irish fans were horrified at the poverty of their display. This was England's best performance since I don't know when. NZ couldn't get up twice on the bounce; maybe we can't either?

Just now, AW1 said:

imo they are the best team to never win a world Cup. 

Nah, that's France. 

Tough call between the best WC era Welsh or French sides.    Too close to call.    This is not Wales best side.    This England team is the best since they won it,  despite not having had their mitts on the Calcutta Cup for some time.

15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Tough call between the best WC era Welsh or French sides.    Too close to call.    This is not Wales best side.    This England team is the best since they won it,  despite not having had their mitts on the Calcutta Cup for some time.

France have reached three finals, Wales none. France's displays v Australia in 1987 and especially New Zealand in 1999 were light years ahead of anything Wales have done since the 70s. And of course, France were only a bent ref from winning the thing in 2011, despite being the away side in the final. 

34 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Rugby's a funny game. It takes so, so much out of the players physically and emotionally. Last week, plenty of knowledgeable New Zealanders thought it was their best performance in many years - while Irish fans were horrified at the poverty of their display. This was England's best performance since I don't know when. NZ couldn't get up twice on the bounce; maybe we can't either?

On the other hand today must be a huge confidence booster for next week. If England get near that standard it doesn,t matter who they meet in the final

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I would prefer England to win it if they played these Welsh turds. 

However I think that the Springboks will be too big and strong for the daffodil clad erses. 

My dislike for them stems back to many years ago when they were up here for the 5 nations. Words were exchanged. 

similar to me, at the start of the tournament i predicted SA to win it. i am sticking by that but i would prefer england to win it over the leeks

2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

4th in the world is shit? 4th out of about 200 nations is shit? Right you are.

Really? 

Do we actually have to go through this...

They got the easiest draw imaginable.

And the two teams that were any decent that they came up against,  pumped thum...