• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

yep, i didn't read the article by martin johnson on bbc website yesterday but the headline was england needed to avoid complacency. he was right such a difference to the little englander dawson 

Laurence and Martin are class acts.

Malinga the Swinga

Before I forget, special mention to the ref. Jerome Garces was 100% fair to both teams and reffed the game exactly as the occasion demanded without providing a running commentary. This is something that other refs could perhaps learn from.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, ri Alban said:

Kickback calling Lawson, come in, Lawson!!!

Now now, he doesn't deserve that.

Nah, **** it, he does.

43 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

British Lions v South Africa in 2021 will be good. 

was away to say na it’ll just be a repeat because Dawson says a combined XV between England and SA would be solely English players. Then someone posted his article.....

vvvvvWank

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Real thing

^^^^^wank

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

:lol: he’s a bellend. Just ruins his credibility as a pundit when he says things like that. 

Third worst pundit around, behind Guscott and Davies. 

They are truly awful.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

What we need is a 10,000 word breakdown of the final and Japanese culture

Noooooooooo, please no! 

47 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Real thing

giphy.gif

46 minutes ago, Barack said:

Hope there are a few tweets headed his way. Arrogant, clueless bawbag.

Screenshot_20191102-113936_Twitter.jpg

giphy.gif

40 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

FB_IMG_1572692846677.jpg.d0709e30e4fb32d03d1caa15a4eff728.jpg

giphy.gif

Maroon Sailor

Still no salty tears Shaun ?

That'll be him off here until his beloved Enguuuuurrrrrrlunnnn roll up for the Euros.

Then he'll try to convince us playing the likes of Finland as opposed to avoiding the likes of Holland will be a difficult game and that Finland worry him more than the Dutch would !

4 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Everyone is waiting

Image result for countdown clock gif

Be patient , I’m sure the Lord High Protector of hindsight and irony will be along soon to explain how SA deserved it , England never had a chance and reaching the final is the true measure of success for this England team. 

Edited by sadj

Did Lawson not say SA before the tournament on here?

If I made that up, I am in need of some serious help!!

Great result today!!!!!🇿🇦🇿🇦🇿🇦

On 19/09/2019 at 03:44, shaun.lawson said:

I've been to-ing and fro-ing constantly over the last few months. Not in who I think will win it - I'm confident about that - but in all the rest of it. Absolutely anything could happen in Groups A and C; the NZ-SA game this weekend is way too close to call; who wins Group D is too close to call as well. It's far and away the hardest RWC to predict that I've ever known - but me being me, here goes. Lawson jinx be damned!

Group A

1. Ireland

2. Japan

3. Scotland

4. Samoa

5. Russia

Group B

1. New Zealand

2. South Africa

3. Italy

4. Canada

5. Namibia

Group C

1. England

2. Argentina

3. France

4. Tonga 

5. USA

Group D

1. Australia

2. Wales

3. Fiji

4. Georgia

5. Uruguay

Quarter-Finals

England v Wales

New Zealand v Japan

Australia v Argentina

Ireland v South Africa

Semi-Finals

England v New Zealand

Australia v South Africa

Third Place Final

New Zealand v Australia

Final

England v South Africa

World Champions

South Africa

image.jpeg.5027707a74859866949757a92c4477eb.jpeg

A few quick sidelights:

1. Am I confident Scotland will be knocked out in the first round? Am I bollocks. I even think Ireland are in danger in that group. I expect an inspired host nation and pure chaos, in which Samoa could play their part too. This is Scotland's best World Cup side since 1995; I just suspect it's gonna end up very unlucky.

2. As you can see, I have the Boks winning it despite losing their first match. The first time that'll have ever happened if so. But even if the final ends up being a rematch with the All Blacks, I still think they'll do it. Which brings me to...

3. For me, England are third favourites, about half a level below the sport's historic superpowers. If we end up facing Australia in the last eight, even reaching the final will almost certainly be too much - because a knockout draw of AUS/NZ/RSA is impossible. If we avoid the Wallabies and get past a very tough, very dangerous, everything to lose and nothing to gain Welsh test, the pressure would be off and maybe, just maybe, Eddie Jones could mastermind a major upset. He's done it before against New Zealand in the semis, after all.

Trouble is, if that happens, the media will go berserk, react as though we're World Champions already, and we'll collapse in a heap against the Springboks: for whom the 12-year rule says they're due. 1995. 2007. 2019? 

Not bad

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

He did as it goes. Got the teams in the knock-outs wrong, but he went for SA v ENG in the final.

Yeah but he's frightened to tip England to win anything - win win for him

My 8 year old nephew loves Formula 1 and always wants Lewis Hamilton to win. Before every race he sits and tells us about how great all the other racers are and how Hamilton doesn’t actually have much chance of winning.

Me and his dad know it’s just his own wee way of trying not to get too upset if Hamilton doesn’t win as he can say “I told you so” to us. It’s quite cute actually and of course we humour him every time. After all, he’s only 8 years old.

👍🏻

Edited by To Be Frank

The White Cockade

Great performance by the Boks

Were always in control 

Also Shuts the English media up as we would have heard about nothing else for next 4 years if they had won 

They can go back to talking about Johnny Wilkinson’s drop goal again now

Slept in and missed the match, big congrats to  Sth. Africa and heartfelt condolences (cough) to  Matt Dawson and the English...

Edited by corkie64

I met a few of the Springboks just after they won in 1995 really nice guys but imposing in size .

The black players now get a really good chance to play rugby , something they rarely had when I was there .

I really didn't care who won the match...………….UNTIL I had to listen to the radio and tv presenters going on and on about Eddie Jones, kissing his backside as they did so and refusing to believe that England could be beaten

It was so good to see and where's your 'funny quips' now Eddie 

On 27/10/2019 at 15:20, Boof said:

England by 20 or more.

SA defence won't be able to cope with England's attack.

And with that level of prediction skill may I predict a 3-0 win for The Rangers tomorrow 🤣

3 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I really didn't care who won the match...………….UNTIL I had to listen to the radio and tv presenters going on and on about Eddie Jones, kissing his backside as they did so and refusing to believe that England could be beaten

It was so good to see and where's your 'funny quips' now Eddie 

The papers on Friday and today particularly have some brilliant pieces basically saying England will win.

Outstanding level of getting South Africa all wrong.

A good example of how sport and particularly winning can make fools of all of us. Over egging success equal to over criticising failure. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The papers on Friday and today particularly have some brilliant pieces basically saying England will win.

Outstanding level of getting South Africa all wrong.

A good example of how sport and particularly winning can make fools of all of us. Over egging success equal to over criticising failure. 

Some interesting pre-match predictions.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/2019-rugby-world-cup/103204/rugby-world-cup-japan-winner-predictions-webb-ellis-cup

I thought England’s forwards were the biggest, toughest bunch of animals on the planet but South Africa absolutely smashed them. It was a sight to behold. They broke England today. Eddie Jones must be gutted losing two World Cup finals. 

:pleasing:

Captain Sausage
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

How did Harry get to Japan? Glider!

He’s more of a ‘do as I say, not as I do’ kind of guy...

Seymour M Hersh
21 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not bad

I predicted SA (well my dark horses for it) but without all the cutting and pasting palaver. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 18/01/2020 at 19:52, milky_26 said:

saracens are to be relegated at the end of the season for still not sticking to the salary cap

It's an amazing story.

Could affect England if the players become more divided. 

Basically been cheating for years. It seems Saracens are accepting a second 35 point deduction to avoid opening their accounts for scrutiny. The story has more to run. 

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's an amazing story.

Could affect England if the players become more divided. 

Basically been cheating for years. It seems Saracens are accepting a second 35 point deduction to avoid opening their accounts for scrutiny. The story has more to run. 

The 35 point deduction (plus £5.4m fine) had been accepted based on previous years of EBTs, sorry, I mean cheating on hidden payments to players. They could have played on with lots of 5-point wins to avoid relegation.

The unavoidable relegation is a result of them failing to prove to the authorities that they aren't still breaching the salary cap. They had two options: take relegation on the chin or undergo some rigorous scrutiny (I can't remember from whom). 

The risk to England is that Saffercens highest paid England players (Farrell, Itoje, Vunipola and that winger fella) scarper off to France, where they could keep up their earnings. If they did that, they wouldn't play for England. There aren't enough England players at the club in my view, and England have sufficient strength in depth that all those players are replaceable with similar quality. 

Some of the chat down here is that they hope to retain a significant bunch of their players next season. Lose a few of the older, higher paid bunch; concentrate on the younger academy players (they have some really good ones), stroll the championship and come back lean and mean after one season's penance. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2020 at 19:52, milky_26 said:

saracens are to be relegated at the end of the season for still not sticking to the salary cap

They're now being investigated for possibly playing an ineligible player in the Champions Cup, an American player whose work permit expired a day before he played against Racing 92.

Could lose their quarter final place and, if they do, it would be Glasgow that would replace them in the last eight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51415778

Edited by PortyJambo

2 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

They're now being investigated for possibly playing an ineligible player in the Champions Cup, an American player whose work permit expired a day before he played against Racing 92.

Could lose their quarter final place and, if they do, it would be Glasgow that would replace them in the last eight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51415778

And Racing 92 now saying that seeding is all wrong - they would go up to 2 so home quarter (and semi) instead of an away quarter and potentially seeking quarter final redraw.

15 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

And Racing 92 now saying that seeding is all wrong - they would go up to 2 so home quarter (and semi) instead of an away quarter and potentially seeking quarter final redraw.

A lot of travel plans messed up.

Saracens really feckkmg everyone up. 

31 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

A lot of travel plans messed up.

Saracens really feckkmg everyone up. 

they get a 50k euros fine and not kicked out of tournament