ri Alban

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Seeing England lose at anything gives me great pleasure. Strangely enough, seeing them win doesn’t really bother me though so it’s pretty much a win-win situation for me 👍🏻english-fans-at-england-algeria-game.jpg

I'm the same (with football), don't mind them winning at all really but it's brilliant when they cock it up. That's mainly as I don't mind their current crop of players or manager.

With Rugby I hate to even see them win. Eddie Jones is a prick and so many of their players come across the same.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

9 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

So then, what do we have here? After having years in which to contingency plan, it turns out that World Rugby's idea of that involves moving games a massive... 14 miles down the road. For a typhoon. Unbelievable.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/11/world-rugby-contingency-plan-typhoon-hagibis-england-france-scotland-japan-cup

We also have the Chief Executive of Scottish Rugby keeping his head while all around him are losing theirs... and saying he won't accept Scotland being "collateral damage" from a storm which could kill people and cause total chaos. Shops, factories, rail networks closed down. Supermarkets running low on supplies as people panic buy. Evacuation advisories ahead of what could be Japan's biggest storm in 60 years... and the Scottish Rugby CEO thinks it's all about him. Tremendous.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/11/scotland-japan-pressure-rescheduled-rugby-world-cup

World Rugby, meanwhile, have boxed themselves into a corner. Imagine they moved Japan-Scotland to Monday. If they do that, they're open to a writ from the Italians, which the latter would be bound to win. That really would wreck any sense of sporting integrity left in the event. It's either the same treatment for everyone affected, or bust. 

You've inadvertently landed on what is a convenience for the organisers.    The benchmark has been set with the cancellation of the Italy match and their resultant elimination.     This makes it 'harder' for the Scotland match to be rescued via contingency measures.   Easier to cancel and justify it by insisting that instances have to be treated equally,  etc.

Convenient.    

The overall extent of the cancelled matches thus far has presented very little of a headache for the organisers.    Fortunate.    In other circumstances,   there could have been a very big call to make which could have caused a serious problem.     

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

You've inadvertently landed on what is a convenience for the organisers.    The benchmark has been set with the cancellation of the Italy match and their resultant elimination.     This makes it 'harder' for the Scotland match to be rescued via contingency measures.   Easier to cancel and justify it by insisting that instances have to be treated equally,  etc.

Convenient.    

The overall extent of the cancelled matches thus far has presented very little of a headache for the organisers.    Fortunate.    In other circumstances,   there could have been a very big call to make which could have caused a serious problem.     

Pissing off the big teams would be a problem.

Italy and Scotland less so. 

I P Knightley

10 years to prepare and they have had to re-lay a pitch which has only had 2 matches on it. There's a video clip of the Irish Farrell lifting a section of turf and putting a ball under it. A rugby ball; not some high jinks akin to soggy biscuit. 

Makes you wonder what will go Laurel and Hardy next. Have they remembered to pack the trophy for the final?

24 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

10 years to prepare and they have had to re-lay a pitch which has only had 2 matches on it. There's a video clip of the Irish Farrell lifting a section of turf and putting a ball under it. A rugby ball; not some high jinks akin to soggy biscuit. 

Makes you wonder what will go Laurel and Hardy next. Have they remembered to pack the trophy for the final?

Saw that yesterday. I found it quite astonishing as always think of Japan as a country that makes great products and has a good attention to detail. A bit like the Germans. Feel sorry for the fish though! 

Current image from outside the stadium for the Rugby World Cup match between Japan and Scotland tomorrow. All the area covered by water is usually dry land...

72426257_1144130622445738_6525944511233785856_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

So Scotland cannot win the Group so it's New Zealand or out.

If game is cancelled Japan win group and Ireland play New Zealand. 

Game cancelled then😀

It is not the sign of a well organised tournament if there is no Plan B or ideas from those in charge on how to resolve problems

The weather is just so far way from what we have experienced it is difficult to imagine but recent pictures clearly show the impact

Safety and well being must come first for those in the area and no unnecessary risks taken.

However there has been more than enough time to re schedule or indeed move the match and I'm not buying any of this impossible to organise rubbish....it doesn't take much to play in an empty stadium for example though of course no crowd would be a sad sight but better its played for the sake of sporting integrity...and the Italy match against New Zealand should have been treated in a similar manner

That is a failure of organisation and for that the organisers will deserve all the bad press and ridicule...oh and just imagine the uproar if it was New Zealand, England or even Japan in our shoes....remember that Eddie Jones

Maroon Sailor

If England or France missed out because of their cancellation there would be an uproar at the lack of foresight for contingency plans for the game to be re-scheduled.

Simple as

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If England or France missed out because of their cancellation there would be an uproar at the lack of foresight for contingency plans for the game to be re-scheduled.

Simple as

Neither making much noise either, as it's an extra week off for both of them.

And in my opinion, France are happy to finish second in that group as I think they are happier playing Wales.

Similarly, I think England are happier playing the Aussies rather than the Welsh, especially with that extra week off.

Rumours (unconfirmed) that New Zealand were asked to play the Italy game on Monday, but declined, which then set the precedent that the Scotland game could not be moved, played at original time and venue, or cancelled.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Adam Murray said:

And in my opinion, France are happy to finish second in that group as I think they are happier playing Wales.

Similarly, I think England are happier playing the Aussies rather than the Welsh, especially with that extra week off.

Rumours (unconfirmed) that New Zealand were asked to play the Italy game on Monday, but declined, which then set the precedent that the Scotland game could not be moved, played at original time and venue, or cancelled.

Can see England horsing the Aussies but Wales should beat France.

If those rumours are true then the tournament has become a sham.

12 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

I said already that the complaint is partly that they said a year ago at an event to advertise the tournament 'One Year to Go" when asked that they would move  games including that they had the whole week before the Quarter Finals to move games if there was any problems with the weather.

Now they say "the rules say we don't move games".

Edited by Mikey1874

30 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

Rumours (unconfirmed) that New Zealand were asked to play the Italy game on Monday, but declined

Rumours which stemmed from Brian Moore's twitter and have been categorically denied by New Zealand and World Rugby. Meanwhile, a week ago, when asked about his thoughts on the typhoon maybe scuppering Ireland's game, Gregor Townsend had this to say:

“The Ireland game cannot be postponed, it has to be played that day. If it cannot be played that day then it’s two points for each team".

Awk. Ward.

I just think it's the way of the world now. If something happens in our team's favour, we say nothing. If something happens against our team, it's the biggest disgrace ever. I mean, if it was England in this situation, the idea that anyone anywhere would have any sympathy with us is risible. Just as when Henry's handball knocked out Ireland, their reaction was rightly laughed at by pretty much the entire world. 

We're all hypocrites, whether to a greater or lesser extent. Sport, like life, seems to be "take what you can get, regardless of how it comes - and if those on the wrong side of it cry about it, it's their fault".

30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can see England horsing the Aussies

It's Australia. In a World Cup. Where we've beaten them by 3 points (in injury time), 3 points (at the end of extra time) and 2 points (after they missed a very kickable penalty late on). It'll very likely be tight, tense, and we'll have to be right on our mettle to come through.

Maroon Sailor
24 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Rumours which stemmed from Brian Moore's twitter and have been categorically denied by New Zealand and World Rugby. Meanwhile, a week ago, when asked about his thoughts on the typhoon maybe scuppering Ireland's game, Gregor Townsend had this to say:

“The Ireland game cannot be postponed, it has to be played that day. If it cannot be played that day then it’s two points for each team".

Awk. Ward.

I just think it's the way of the world now. If something happens in our team's favour, we say nothing. If something happens against our team, it's the biggest disgrace ever. I mean, if it was England in this situation, the idea that anyone anywhere would have any sympathy with us is risible. Just as when Henry's handball knocked out Ireland, their reaction was rightly laughed at by pretty much the entire world. 

We're all hypocrites, whether to a greater or lesser extent. Sport, like life, seems to be "take what you can get, regardless of how it comes - and if those on the wrong side of it cry about it, it's their fault".

Not many laughed at Henry's handball but the whole world laughed at Maradona's ..... and still do

18 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not many laughed at Henry's handball but the whole world laughed at Maradona's ..... and still do

I like how you say that as though you think it'll hurt me in some way. All part of his genius if you ask me.

True story. In Summer 1988, I was at football camp. Had a great time. One afternoon, it completely chucked it down, so they showed us a video of the 1986 World Cup instead. Hero: probably the best film about football ever made.

Its central character, of course, was Maradona. Whenever he appeared, everyone around me was yelling "cheat! Cheat! Cheat!" I was already in awe of the guy, and found their behaviour pathetic and embarrassing.

International sporting events are never, ever just about sport. They're about much, much more than that. Politics, culture clashes, controversy, intrigue. Maradona did what he did for his people. Fair play to him for that. And whenever he says "hello to my friends in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland", I laugh. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Around 12 hours ago this was completely under water

Yes, that does look much better. I’m wondering what kind of state the pitch will be in, though.

12 minutes ago, leginten said:

Yes, that does look much better. I’m wondering what kind of state the pitch will be in, though.

Surely the pitch will have been covered. Mind you there would have been a hell of a lot of water on the covers.

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Surely the pitch will have been covered. Mind you there would have been a hell of a lot of water on the covers.

From the very end of the video clip SL posted, it looks absolutely saturated. 

Edited by leginten

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think we all know how this is going to go. Wish they'd hurry up & put Japan through. Save fannying about.

Um... probably, but Nambia-Canada is off because of an evacuation order. The question around Japan-Scotland is logistics and transport arrangements as much as anything else. The safety inspection as I understand it is for the pitch, the stadium, and the surrounding area too.

16 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'm the same (with football), don't mind them winning at all really but it's brilliant when they cock it up. That's mainly as I don't mind their current crop of players or manager.

With Rugby I hate to even see them win. Eddie Jones is a prick and so many of their players come across the same.

We all have different opinions... that's a good thing... 

English football team can't stand them, overrated shite, always have been.

Rugby team on the other hand. England team that won the world cup deserved to, truly had some world class players in their team... I wasn't cheering for them but didn't mind that they won it...

I want a northern hemisphere team to win the world cup, at the moment England have the best chance...

Without wanting to tempt fate things sounding a bit more promising.

The inspection is still being carried out at Yokohama Stadium and the logistics are being worked out.

There is a positive feeling on the ground but nothing definitive yet. Latest suggestions are we will have a decision by around 2.30am UK time, which is 10.30am in Japan.

The weather is gloriously sunny at the moment and there are plenty of people milling around the stadium. It’s all a question of whether the pitch and stadium are safe to allow the game to happen.

Could the game be played behind closed doors?

It seems likely the match will go ahead as thing stand but the debating point could well be around whether fans are allowed into the stadium.

That means we could see a Rugby World Cup match played behind closed doors for the first time. It all depends whether every part of the stadium is safe for supporters.

World Rugby are desperate to get this game on but cannot afford to take any risks.

That's a relief! Very pleased to see it not being played behind closed doors either, which would've been bizarre and a slap in the face to the hosts.

So... may the best team win! 

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

That's a relief! Very pleased to see it not being played behind closed doors either, which would've been bizarre and a slap in the face to the hosts.

So... may the best team win! 

As long as it's not Scotland being the best team eh Shaun ?

Looking forward to your hindsight report on all things wrong with Scottish rugby quoting facts from yesteryear on Google to back up your report.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Barack said:

Team to get beaten the old-fashioned way. Good. Just how we like it.

Rest of The World v Scotland...let's go.

Aye, I think a large % of world rugby will be wanting us beaten today. Having the audacity to infer that NZ were unduly influencing things has sealed our fate. Of course they (Scottish Officials) are probably correct. I think the Kiwis are like the OF with the covert influence of the rugby authorities. And like the OF everyone knows it but there is never a smoking gun of proof. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Be interesting to see how we screw this up, glorious failure is the usual. 

So, we go 25 points behind and come back to scrape a most wonderful draw.

37-37 then back on the plane 😀😀

1 hour ago, Noah Claypole said:

Be interesting to see how we screw this up, glorious failure is the usual. 

So, we go 25 points behind and come back to scrape a most wonderful draw.

37-37 then back on the plane 😀😀

Behave, 

We will be 8pts ahead with The clock in red and give away a stupid penalty. Japan get a bonus point.