• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

People are saying rules of tournament prevent games being changed to another day. 

Decision Sunday. Maybe realise the controversy. 

Man that would be utter nonsense... crazy idea...

All the official stuff. Saying all the teams support it. Maybe that's why Sunday decision is deferred. 

Edited by Mikey1874

17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Decision on Scotland game deferred.

But they have cancelled Italy v New Zealand (knocking Italy out) and England v France.

So they are prepared to put Japan in Quarters. No games moved. Just cancelled. 

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Good for England getting a rest.

Australia still tough. 

If Wales game on Sunday is cancelled Wales will still win group so will play France in Quarters. 

The Scotland game should be played, even if it's in an empty stadium on the other side of Japan. Or Japan should withdraw, as as hosts, it's their problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49995604

So, a full refund for your match ticket.  And the  £thousands you’ll have spent on flights, transport and accommodation?  Pretty sure insurance won’t cover that.

The Japanese might very well be embarrassed if that’s how they progress but I bet World Rugby would rather Japan through. 

If anyone should be committing harakari here, it’s those who signed off holding a tournament in a country during peak typhoon season with no adequate contingency plans in place. 

So just to look where we are. Thanks to people helpfully pointing out that Japan win our group if no result.

These are how the Quarters are looking

(Semi Final 1)

19 Oct

8.15am England v Australia 

11.15am New Zealand v Ireland 

(Semi Final 2) 

20 Oct 

8.15am Wales v France

11.15am Japan v South Africa 

Of course Samoa beating Ireland and no losing / try bonus point puts Scotland through to play New Zealand. 

Or that and us beating Japan makes us Group winners playing South Africa. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Has a sporting nation ever had so much bad luck at tournaments as Scotland?

74 Football World Cup - eliminated despite not losing a game.

17 Women’s Football World Cup - first victim of the new penalty kick rule re keeper staying on the line and then ref blows for FT with 4-5 mins of stoppage time still to play.

this year’s rugby World Cup - would be eliminated by bad weather, despite only losing one game (against the world no 1) and then having two consecutive clean sheets for the first time in Rugby World Cup history.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So just to look where we are. Thanks to people helpfully pointing out that Japan win our group if no result.

These are how the Quarters are looking

(Semi Final 1)

19 Oct

8.15am England v Australia 

11.15am New Zealand v Ireland 

(Semi Final 2) 

20 Oct 

8.15am Wales v France

11.15am Japan v South Africa 

I would have fancied us to beat South Africa.

If the Scotland game goes ahead and if we manage to secure a QF spot it'll be against New Zealand? Assuming the Ireland-Samoa match goes as predicted.

If they have a 2-week lay-off...what's the chances the ABs might just be a little less match-sharp than if they'd been in action this weekend?  He asked, straw-clutchingly... :lol:

6 minutes ago, Boof said:

If the Scotland game goes ahead and if we manage to secure a QF spot it'll be against New Zealand? Assuming the Ireland-Samoa match goes as predicted.

If they have a 2-week lay-off...what's the chances the ABs might just be a little less match-sharp than if they'd been in action this weekend?  He asked, straw-clutchingly... :lol:

Missing the Qf will feck up our world ranking, big time. I'd rather lose heavily against the Islanders select, than go home by Hurricane Bawsuck 

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

All the official stuff. Saying all the teams support it. Maybe that's why Sunday decision is deferred. 

Slightly different stance from Scotland according to Rob Robertson of Daily Mail.

Scotland believe game will go ahead one way ot t'other.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7556243/amp/Scots-furious-die-World-Cup-clash-Japan-cancelled-Typhoon-Hagibis.html?__twitter_impression=true

What a classic Scotland style exit that would be :gok:

What a pathetic situation. Reflects badly on rugby.

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Slightly different stance from Scotland according to Rob Robertson of Daily Mail.

Scotland believe game will go ahead one way ot t'other.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7556243/amp/Scots-furious-die-World-Cup-clash-Japan-cancelled-Typhoon-Hagibis.html?__twitter_impression=true

Thanks

I think that is Scotland making their point that it is possible to play game elsewhere or delay game.

But it isn't looking like World Rugby (nothing it seems to do with Japan) are considering any other options. Game goes ahead Sunday 11.45am in Yokohama or its given as a 0-0 draw. 

At least that extends our World Cup record of not conceding. 

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

People are saying rules of tournament prevent games being changed to another day. 

Decision Sunday. Maybe realise the controversy. 

Shaun has already been told that but continues to ignore it for some reason.

Maroon Sailor

A tournament held every 4 years and you end up with this farcical situation where the weather can knock you out.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

A tournament held every 4 years and you end up with this farcical situation where the weather can knock you out.

It's just not cricket 🙂

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I just find it strange the organisers would arrange such a prestigious event during the typhoon season. Surely it should have been a consideration. 

Now if SA had beaten All Blacks first up and the ABs were going to miss out?

From an organisation that has it in its rules the Haka has to be respected.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Barack said:

Game's getting cancelled...never...!? :rolleyes:

Not even getting worked up about ours potentially getting binned too.

As I said yesterday, and Gashy has alluded to above, it'll be a Pub Quiz question in years to come. 

Japan go through...$$$$. That's all that matters to World Rugby.

So rugby becomes another sport that will sacrifice so much just to chase the big bucks. As others have said, it's farcical. 

It's not as if the RWC is always held in the same month. If they wanted Japan as hosts, there was nothing to stop them scheduling the tournament for any of the other months of the year when typhoons aren't commonplace. The clubs would have had to juggle their schedules to fit. 

However, they always love it when a team from outside the top 8 makes it into the QFs. Japan doing so will have a greater financial benefit for the blazers than it being Canada,  Fiji, Argentina or  (Western) Samoa. I wouldn't be surprised if the call was to cancel Sunday's match as well. 

I feel sorry for the supporters who have shelled out significant sums to get to Japan and would have loved to have seen England v France or NZ v Italy. It's all well and good Eddie Jones saying he's not bothered but he's only focused on his squad - doesn't give a shiny one about the supporters or the wider audience. 

It's pretty obvious what's gone on here.   They've set out rules regarding the playing of matches but have also left wiggle room to bend the rules by making so-called contingency arrangements.    Let's put it this way... the contingency plans are there to be used selectively and to **** with anyone who doesn't matter as much as one of the big unions.      

Bent as a 9 bob note.     I hope Scotland refuse to compete in another WC if they're ****ed over and don't get a full apology.

Edited by Victorian

If Scotland do lose out strangely it's kind of been okay. Very good performances last 2 games. Newer players doing well. 

Something to build on. Obviously limitations against better, more physical teams remains the challenge. 

And of course the quiz questions and competition for the worst way to get eliminated. 

I’m quite philosophical about the possible cancellation. This is a tournament which, like the 2002 football WC in Japan and S. Korea, is passing me by. I can’t keep more than half an eye on it or combine it with my normal working hours. In any case, any short-term feel-good factor after possibly beating Japan by a sufficient margin would dissipate rapidly when we hit the buffers painfully against NZ in the quarter-finals.

We should enjoy the unfolding drama. Going out of major sports tournaments after being the only undefeated side or on goal difference or because of an otherwise meaningless late goal elsewhere or because of a crap referee or by blowing a three-goal lead in the last 20 minutes is just so passé for Scotland. Been there, done that. A typhoon is something special. New ground. Just the hint of collusion and favouring the host team about it too. Instead of instantly forgetting this WC and drubbings by the Irish and NZ, we’ll be able to talk about it for decades to come. If only…

It’s our sporting destiny. It’s glorious. Embrace it.

Edited by leginten

10 hours ago, Peebo said:

If anyone should be committing harakari here, it’s those who signed off holding a tournament in a country during peak typhoon season with no adequate contingency plans in place. 

Correct. This isn't Japan's fault. It's the organisers' fault. The contingency plans appear to amount to "cross our fingers and hope for the best". 

9 hours ago, Boof said:

Not only that - but the once mighty All Blacks' confidence will have been devastated by the sheer humiliation of drawing 0-0 with Italy.

9 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I would have fancied us to beat South Africa.

Well then you're silly.

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

It's all well and good Eddie Jones saying he's not bothered but he's only focused on his squad - doesn't give a shiny one about the supporters or the wider audience. 

“I have just been walking around the streets and there are a lot of people with disappointed faces,” reported Eddie Jones, England’s head coach. “It is difficult for them because it was going to be a special occasion. We feel for them.”

4 hours ago, leginten said:

I’m quite philosophical about the possible cancellation. This is a tournament which, like the 2002 football WC in Japan and S. Korea, is passing me by.

Same. It's even worse for me, because I'm 4 hours further behind. Some of the games are at about the worst possible time imaginable. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

6 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

What if the weather is shan for the remainder of the tourney? 

Who wins? 

Well - maybe this is something we might have to get used to in future, what with climate catastrophe and all.

5 hours ago, Victorian said:

I hope Scotland refuse to compete in another WC if they're ****ed over and don't get a full apology.

:rofl:

Here's an idea. How about: don't get thrashed to within an inch of your lives by a not that good Ireland team, and then your destiny's in your own hands? 

This happened in the Cricket World Cup too. Can't remember the same level of complaints then. And, in the usual spirit of this place - no other teams exist apparently - I also note nobody at all sympathising with Italy. At this point, they're the one team who've truly been screwed. Scotland may go on to be the second, or they may not. 

As for your boycott idea - well, the Scotland football team's been boycotting major tournaments since 1998. Rugby team might as well join in? 

Edited by shaun.lawson

6 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

I just find it strange the organisers would arrange such a prestigious event during the typhoon season. Surely it should have been a consideration. 

I also find it strange that holding the tournament during the typhoon season that the organisers didn't make contingency plans to cover such an event like disruption due to a typhoon.

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

Here's an idea. How about: don't get thrashed to within an inch of your lives by a not that good Ireland team, and then your destiny's in your own hands? 

This happened in the Cricket World Cup too. Can't remember the same level of complaints then. And, in the usual spirit of this place - no other teams exist apparently - I also note nobody at all sympathising with Italy. At this point, they're the one team who've truly been screwed. Scotland may go on to be the second, or they may not. 

You think Italy were going to beat New Zealand?

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

The whole point of sport is that it's supposed to be decided on the pitch.

Someone above thinks Scotland would've beaten South Africa, which is almost as unlikely.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Don't rise to it. Shaun knows a lot about many things...this thread has shown up that rugby isn't one of them.

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Don't rise to it. Shaun knows a lot about many things...this thread has shown up that rugby isn't one of them.

Nowt wrong with my understanding of rugby my good man.

Plenty wrong with my understanding of these useless good for nothing organisers though.

With regard to which, an apology is certainly due to Barack. And even Jonno.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Maroon Sailor

Mr hindsight at it again.

His predictions are always gash. Always writes about events that have passed and makes himself out to be some kind of guru

21 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

As for your boycott idea - well, the Scotland football team's been boycotting major tournaments since 1998. Rugby team might as well join in? 

Sorry to break it to you Shaun, but our destiny is in our own hands should the game go ahead. If the game doesn't go ahead then our destiny will have been determined by a weather phenomenon. 

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

His predictions are always gash. 

*cough cough cough*

Last four correct, last two correct, winners correct. :o 

2. https://medium.com/@shaunjlawson/be-in-no-doubt-vote-leave-are-going-to-win-this-referendum-84997776e82d

3. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/25/miliband-foreign-policy-pm-labour-leader-iraq#comment-41411281

Over 7 months out before a 2015 election result which was supposedly a major shock to everyone predicting a hung Parliament, or even Miliband as PM:

"I think we'll start the general election campaign, ie. a month before polling day, with everyone anticipating a hung Parliament. We'll finish it, as a minimum, with the Tories as the largest party - and probably with a majority. Share of the vote looking something like this:

Con 37 or 38

Lab 31 or 32

LD 12

Ukip 10 or 11".

Sometimes I'm spectacularly wrong, sometimes I'm spectacularly right. Like, y'know, pretty much anyone else basically.

46 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

What if the weather is shan for the remainder of the tourney? 

Who wins? 

Japan, silly. ;)

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Shut yer pus.     It's the devious detail of the organisers' rules + nebulous contingencies that I take issue with.    If Scotland suffered via a weather cancellation that was clearly enshrined within the rules and contingency powers then I would simply accept it.     Not the case here.    It's crystal clear that the flexible nature of these 'rules' is there to avoid the wrath of the big fish.     **** anyone else.

Oh aye... yes I do recognise that Italy have also been mugged off.

Away and lick yer Will Carling calendar.

Francis Albert

World chamionsip athletics in Doha. World cup in Qatar. Rugby world cup in Japanese typhoon season. Sport is all about money. Stiff the athletes/players and particularly the fans.

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

the same ireland who are number 1 in the world