ri Alban

4 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Just feel we had to translate the early dominance  into more points

Every good position there is a mistake losing the ball.  

3-0 is a fair score.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

Lot better and against a team we don't generally roll-over.

Loss of footing at key times has costs us, as other countries.

Let's get these next two tries and nothing silly at other end.

2 yellows - red.

Now any chance of some of these psycho Samoan radges getting more bouncer jobs in Edinburgh.

Edited by DETTY29

Captain Sausage

Job done. Much better today but Samoan indiscipline gifted us those two second half tries. 

Should be relatively straightforward against Russia but, with the crunch game against Japan only 4 days later, I wonder if the pack will be rested next weekend. 

Just now, Captain Sausage said:

Job done. Much better today but Samoan indiscipline gifted us those two second half tries. 

Should be relatively straightforward against Russia but, with the crunch game against Japan only 4 days later, I wonder if the pack will be rested next weekend. 

Yeah, can see a lot of changes for the Russia game. Might see Russell rested and Hastings given the start too.

Okay, watched the game and as with most opinions, thought Scotland did really well under pressure and testing conditions. Not really up to speed with the qualifying requirements so if we were to obtain a bonus point against Russia, is it then winner takes all against Japan?

20 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Tbf a penalty try is equivalent to the last man tackle. You could argue that we might have got lucky with the first one but that second one was going over the line 100%.

Even with a rested pack, we should be turning the Russians over without issue 

29 minutes ago, JWL said:

Okay, watched the game and as with most opinions, thought Scotland did really well under pressure and testing conditions. Not really up to speed with the qualifying requirements so if we were to obtain a bonus point against Russia, is it then winner takes all against Japan?

Yes.   BP win vs Russia needed.   They don't need to get a BP vs Japan but have to deny them the losing BP.   8 points margin.

45 minutes ago, JWL said:

Sort of.

Ireland should get to 5 point victories against Russia and Samoa so would go to 16 points.

Best Scotland can do is 15 points if we get 2 5 point victories against Russia and Japan.  We will go to 10 after Russia but I'd be more inclined to say a 4 point victory is best we can hope for so at best 14 points.

Japan are currently on 9 points, 5 point victory over Samoa takes them to 14.

Japan would only need a 1 point defeat to Scotland to get to 15 points and would beat us on head to head.

So we really need to win with a 4 try bonus point win and not allow Japan one by getting 4 themselves, or staying within 7 points.  If Japan do both they go to 16, ahead of Ireland on head to head.

I think.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, Barack said:

:lol:

Thought it was a good professional & well game-managed performance all round.

Not many teams get nilled at a WC.

😂 At the point I posted that, we were pretty shite, but once we got the first, they couldn’t cope. 

16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

How can Japan beat us on head to head if we beat them?

Did he mean, if we beat Japan and they get a bonus point? 

21 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Japan would only need a 1 point defeat to Scotland to get to 15 points and would beat us on head to head.

If teams are equal on points

1. Winner of game

2. Points difference 

Scotland beat Japan. Scotland qualify. (Lots of different permutations including Samoa beating Japan or Japan nor getting bonus point) 

Unless (subject to all the other permutations) Japan get 2 bonus points by scoring 4 tries and losing by 7 points or less. Which could mean Japan 16 points Scotland 15. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

If teams are equal on points

1. Winner of game

2. Points difference 

Scotland beat Japan. Scotland qualify. (Lots of different permutations including Samoa beating Japan or Japan nor getting bonus point) 

Unless (subject to all the other permutations) Japan get 2 bonus points by scoring 4 tries and losing by 7 points or less. Which could mean Japan 16 points Scotland 15. 

Thanks.

We need to stop Jaan getting 2 bonus points unless they don't get full 5 points against Samoa and assuming we don't do anything daft with our second string against Russia.

Captain Sausage

Talking of Japan getting 2 losing bonus points is a bit extreme. It’s pretty unlikely that both Scotland and Japan will score 4+ tries and the game remain within 7. 

I’d also expect Samoa to put on one hell of a show when they play Japan. They’re very much still in the group, a win over Japan would see them one match away from a quarter final spot. We absolutely dominated Samoa and scraped the bonus point so I don’t think it’s a given that Japan will earn one. 

If Japan fail to gain a BP vs Samoa, and we pick up 5pts vs Russia, it’ll mean any win will do.

If Japan do pick up a BP and we match that, we will be 4pts down so will need to win by 8+ points which is not out with our capability but definitely puts the pressure on. 

If Japan get 5pts and we don’t, we are effectively out. We’d need to smash Japan by 8+ points with 4+ tries, which I don’t think is viable. 

Seymour M Hersh

We should have had a 3rd penalty try when Gordon Reid was prevented from touching down at the base of the post by a Samoan leg coming out the ruck. Still a very good win under some amount of pressure. I'd still like to see Kinghorn in the team on the wing (pointless to replace Hogg unless he's injured) as I think he is a better option than Maitland or Seymour. 

jack D and coke

Credit where it’s due we we’re under pressure today and delivered against a very tough opponent. 

Theres good players in that Scotland team but it seems to go to sleep sometimes, a real slackness about them. Not today though. 

8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Credit where it’s due we we’re under pressure today and delivered against a very tough opponent. 

Theres good players in that Scotland team but it seems to go to sleep sometimes, a real slackness about them. Not today though. 

I didn't manage to see the game, and seeing as we won, Well...!. I'll not manage the next game, anaw.

Edited by ri Alban

USA Eagles apparently hung in with France awhile, closing to within 3 points at 12-9 in the 64th minute, before falling apart late with a final of 33-9.

Canada against New Zealand . . . not quite so close 😶

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

USA Eagles apparently hung in with France awhile, closing to within 3 points at 12-9 in the 64th minute, before falling apart late with a final of 33-9.

Canada against New Zealand . . . not quite so close 😶

USA definitely had the French rattled for a while. 

Ireland not very impressive in a 35.0 win against Russia.

Any Ireland win against Samoa means Scotland cannot finish above Ireland in the group.

What a fecking stitch up. That cheating fecking ******* of a ref should be investigated. 

Unbelievable!

Just now, Taffin said:

Cheers Samoa. Arseholes 😂

Somoa played on for chance of losing bonus point to keep them in with chance of qualifying. 

Can anyone recall the last time a squint feed was penalised in international rugby?

Prior to 5 minutes ago, obviously...