ri Alban

5 hours ago, Taffin said:

barring an absolute con from a referee like the last world cup

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B, from 38:40 here.

That's as clear a red card as it's possible to imagine. But as it was against Samoa, who don't count apparently, the ref unbelievably only gave a yellow. For a deliberate stamp on a prone player.

Scotland won the match by 3 points. The refereeing was why. Strangely, for some obviously unfathomable reason, no-one in the Scottish media mentioned this... before all hell broke loose the following week, after Scotland lost because of a clodhoppingly stupid call at their own lineout.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

24 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Exhibit A:

That's as clear a red card as it's possible to imagine. But as it was against Samoa, who don't count apparently, the ref unbelievably only gave a yellow. For a deliberate stamp on a prone player.

Scotland won the match by 3 points. The refereeing was why. Strangely, for some obviously unfathomable reason, no-one in the Scottish media mentioned this... before all hell broke loose the following week, after Scotland lost because of a clodhoppingly stupid call at their own lineout.

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

You've lost me, sorry.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

You've lost me, sorry.

The "refereeing con" you referred to favoured Scotland against Samoa. No con = no quarter-final place. Just about every Scot out there - including you too, it would seem - didn't even notice. 

4 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

The "refereeing con" you referred to favoured Scotland against Samoa. No con = no quarter-final place. Just about every Scot out there - including you too, it would seem - didn't even notice. 

What's that got to do with my post or the discussion it was a part of though?

I was just saying that bar us being dealt a bad one by a referee like in 2015 )for reference) then we'd have nobody but ourselves to blame for going out. 

Were Samoa hard done by too? Yes. But it's not really remotely relevant to anything in this instance.

Edited by Taffin

Captain Sausage
4 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

What a comical comparison. 

That ‘knock on’ came during a Scotland penalty advantage on the Samoan 5m line after 73 minutes with Scotland leading. If it’s disallowed, Scotland have another scrum/line out 5m out, still in the lead. 

The Joubert penalty is just plainly the wrong call, which gave Australia a shot at goal in added time when it should’ve been a Scotland ball which would’ve given us the win. 

Straw clutching of a magnitude almost unrivalled, even for you. 

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What's that got to do with my post or the discussion it was a part of though?

I was just saying that bar us being dealt a bad one by a referee like in 2015 )for reference) then we'd have nobody but ourselves to blame for going out. 

Were Samoa hard done by too? Yes. But it's not really remotely relevant to anything in this instance.

Of course it's relevant! Because if Samoa hadn't been very hard done to, Scotland wouldn't have even played Australia in the first place. And the entire "we wuz robbed" narrative would never have happened. 

In the quarter-final, Scotland played very well... yet fed entirely off Australian mistakes. Scotland produced their best performance in a game of such magnitude in many years, Australia their worst. Yet still, in the pouring rain at the end, the lineout call to go long was astonishing: essentially borne out of Scotland having no experience of being in that position.  

More broadly: if a team has good luck at one stage in a tournament, it often has bad luck later. England were extremely fortunate to beat Australia in the 2007 quarter-finals, because they missed a very kickable penalty late on. Then France completely choked against us: we didn't do anything really, just let them beat themselves. Then our good luck turned to bad luck as Mark Cueto's try was maybe rightly, maybe wrongly (the TMO was never given a camera angle parallel to the ground, so no-one will ever know for sure) ruled out. 

Then there was the good luck against Belgium and Cameroon in 1990 turning to bad luck against Germany; or the good luck against Scotland and especially Spain in 1996 turning to bad luck against Germany. It's sport. So often decided on a fraction of an inch. But equally often, we only notice bad decisions against our team; and turn a blind eye when they're in favour. 

On your original point: I have a very hard time imagining Scotland beating Japan at all now. Their tails are up, the crowd are incredibly into it, Ireland are a clearly better side than Scotland... and unlike 4 years ago, Japan get proper rest between games. A Scotland win in that game would, in my view, be a tremendous achievement.

Edited by shaun.lawson

11 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

What a comical comparison. 

That ‘knock on’ came during a Scotland penalty advantage on the Samoan 5m line after 73 minutes with Scotland leading. If it’s disallowed, Scotland have another scrum/line out 5m out, still in the lead. 

Excuse me? An illegal try being wrongly awarded is a 'comical comparison'?! Tell me that one next time Hearts are screwed in Glasgow yet again. And besides: the lack of a red card earlier was a disgusting disgrace which kept Scotland in it.

Scotland won the game by 3 points. 7 points for the wrongly awarded try and the failure to punish a disgusting stamp with a red card was why.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Great result for Japan, I was cheering them on despite knowing Scotland are going to really struggle to qualify.  

Even though Ireland beat us, questions regarding Ireland's changing of winning the world cup considering that's two poor games they've had. 

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

Of course it's relevant! Because if Samoa hadn't been very hard done to, Scotland wouldn't have even played Australia in the first place. And the entire "we wuz robbed" narrative would never have happened. 

In the quarter-final, Scotland played very well... yet fed entirely off Australian mistakes. Scotland produced their best performance in a game of such magnitude in many years, Australia their worst. Yet still, in the pouring rain at the end, the lineout call to go long was astonishing: essentially borne out of Scotland having no experience of being in that position.  

More broadly: if a team has good luck at one stage in a tournament, it often has bad luck later. England were extremely fortunate to beat Australia in the 2007 quarter-finals, because they missed a very kickable penalty late on. Then France completely choked against us: we didn't do anything really, just let them beat themselves. Then our good luck turned to bad luck as Mark Cueto's try was maybe rightly, maybe wrongly (the TMO was never given a camera angle parallel to the ground, so no-one will ever know for sure) ruled out. 

Then there was the good luck against Belgium and Cameroon in 1990 turning to bad luck against Germany; or the good luck against Scotland and especially Spain in 1996 turning to bad luck against Germany. It's sport. So often decided on a fraction of an inch. But equally often, we only notice bad decisions against our team; and turn a blind eye when it's in favour of it. 

On your original point: I have a very hard time imagining Scotland beating Japan at all now. Their tails are up, the crowd are incredibly into it, Ireland are a clearly better side than Scotland... and unlike 4 years ago, Japan get proper rest between games. A Scotland win in that game would, in my view, be a tremendous achievement.

Weird post but feel free to go off on a tangent 

The Japan win over Ireland now gives Scotland a chance to top the group (3 wins with bonus points), something that certainly didn't look possible in the aftermath of our game against the Irish, but strangely, on the flipside, the Japanese victory also makes our qualification less likely.

Captain Sausage
40 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Excuse me? An illegal try being wrongly awarded is a 'comical comparison'?! Tell me that one next time Hearts are screwed in Glasgow yet again. And besides: the lack of a red card earlier was a disgusting disgrace which kept Scotland in it.

Scotland won the game by 3 points. 7 points for the wrongly awarded try and the failure to punish a disgusting stamp with a red card was why.

Conveniently ignore all the context. It’s the football equivalent of scoring a borderline offside goal when you’re already playing an advantage for a penalty.

Samoa were 10 points down after the try. That changes al the dynamics. There’s no way of saying they’d come back and score a try like they did. Total strawman argument. 

You’ve had an absolute nightmare here. Give it up. 

3 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Exhibit A:

It might've been given as a knock-on if the scrum-half touched the ball with his hand.

Since that didn't happen - my evidence being that the referee is standing only a few metres away - the try was the correct award.

4 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit A, the ball goes forward off the number 8's foot; therefore no knock on. Perhaps the TMO could have brought it back for a review but that's what he would have seen. 

What Wilson did deserved the yellow he got. It was no Farrell shoulder barge to the head, though. The call was right. The subtle difference between reckless and dangerous. 

Still making lenient decisions backing the offending players. 

2 yellow card offences given only as penalties. Shocked that Australia are benefitting. 

Edited by Mikey1874

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Still making lenient decisions backing the offending players. 

2 yellow card offences given only as penalties. Shocked that Australia are benefitting. 

Neither were yellows. Then the penalty against Kerevi was absurd. He was tackled high; penalty to the high tackler! The TMO clearly talked Poite into it too. Ridiculous. 

Wales have certainly been the better side - but not 15 points better.

Leading with forearm into a tackle is a penalty as agreed by the experts in the studio.

You are allowed to hand off not forearm off.

Edited by DETTY29

8 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Neither were yellows. Then the penalty against Kerevi was absurd. He was tackled high; penalty to the high tackler! The TMO clearly talked Poite into it too. Ridiculous. 

Wales have certainly been the better side - but not 15 points better.

They were yellows based on what rugby authorities have been saying. 

Good, tense game. Dreadful officiating team (including touch judges calling non-existent forward passes, TMOs calling non-existent penalties and Poite making completely random calls). And the better team lost. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

Bit early but I'll go for the semi finals as

Wales v South Africa 

Australia v New Zealand 

(Sorry Barack)

Edited by Mikey1874

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wales v South Africa 

Australia v New Zealand 

(Sorry Barack)

Wales just need to manage bodies for last 2 games and France or Argentina shouldn't be a problem.

England will beat first half Aussies, 2nd half tough call.

44 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Is it? With half a team of kiwis? 
Farcical imo. 

Didn't know that.

I know Scotland has a fair number of Englishmen, South Africans and New Zealanders now and in teams of the last 30 years. 

Maybe an issue across the world. 

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Didn't know that.

I know Scotland has a fair number of Englishmen, South Africans and New Zealanders now and in teams of the last 30 years. 

Changing eligibility rules from 3 years to 5 from 2020 re residency.

Big teams e.g Australia, are picking off the talent, lining them up even before they are eligible. This means a drop off in competitiveness from for example Samoa and Fiji.  

Edited by Riccarton3

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Didn't know that.

Yeah it’s became a bit of a nonsense tbh. 

In the past we had people with Scottish roots now you only have to play in the country for a few years and you’re eligible. 

The japan team is a farce though. 

I think in the Australia v Fiji game, something like 60% of the starting 30 players were Fijian born, and something like 90% were South Sea Islanders of some sort

10 hours ago, Barack said:

Think I might move home if Wales get to another Semi-Final. Between the Welsh Media & certain supporters, they're as unbearable as the English. Sometimes more so.

You have my sympathies. For English football hype, read Welsh rugby hype. And if fans on websites/forums are anything to go by, unbearable is exactly the word. The following rules apply with them when it comes to Wales at the Rugby World Cup:

1. Wales must always be hyped up before any big game, and their opponents disregarded

2. Any other team being hyped up - including their opponent - is a sign of anti-Welsh bias

3. If Wales win said big game, the beaten opponent must then be hyped up too

4. If anyone questions Wales' performance in any way, it's all a sign of anti-Welsh bias and their 'jealousy'

5. When Wales lose, regardless of the circumstances, they were robbed

6. If, God forbid, England go further than Wales, any win of theirs was achieved by cheating, being 'boring', and was completely undeserved

7. Anyone talking England's chances up is guilty of 'arrogance': including if it's before a meeting with the likes of Namibia, Canada or Scotland

8. If England go further than Wales but do not win the World Cup, they must be laughed at, ridiculed and told how bad they are when they lose: including if defeat comes in the final

9. If England go further than Wales but do win the World Cup, they were outrageously lucky. And the MBEs and open top bus tour are a disgrace

10. As soon as the World Cup is over, it never actually happened, and the only thing that matters is beating England in the Six Nations. Of which there is every chance, cos Wales are amazing and England are terrible.

Rinse and repeat. Forever.

Edited by shaun.lawson

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wales v South Africa 

Australia v New Zealand 

(Sorry Barack)

Too early. Especially as I don't think Wales will respond well to being clear favourites in their quarter-final.

23 hours ago, Boof said:

my evidence being that the referee is standing only a few metres away 

:rofl::rofl: :rofl: 

Well... my 'evidence' is therefore that Craig Joubert was standing only a couple of metres from where the knock-on happened. Penalty correctly awarded, well done Australia. 

That is the logic of your argument.

Edited by shaun.lawson

2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

:rofl::rofl: :rofl: 

Well... my 'evidence' is therefore that Craig Joubert was standing only a couple of metres from where the knock-on happened. Penalty correctly awarded, well done Australia. 

That is the logic of your argument.

What the **** has that got to do with the Samoa game?

Are you unable to admit that you've made a horse's ass of yourself of Wales-Belgium DVD proportions so that you have to try and pick a fault in my argument that was being generous to you?

Fair enough how about this for evidence - what you think you saw didn't ****ing happen. 

Edited by Boof

Jambo in Japan

A typhoon has been forecast over Kobe/Hyogo for the latter half of this week. Likelihood is that it will either die down or change direction away from here, but it's been mentioned before that if any of the pool games are unable to be played for a typhoon then they automatically go down as a 0-0 draw.

Ireland play Russia here in Kobe on Thursday night... Again, unlikely it'll happen but imagine being knocked out because of weather.

1 hour ago, Jambo in Japan said:

A typhoon has been forecast over Kobe/Hyogo for the latter half of this week. Likelihood is that it will either die down or change direction away from here, but it's been mentioned before that if any of the pool games are unable to be played for a typhoon then they automatically go down as a 0-0 draw.

Ireland play Russia here in Kobe on Thursday night... Again, unlikely it'll happen but imagine being knocked out because of weather.

It must be American rain. Thought Ireland were Scotland. Giruy rain!!!

Captain Sausage
7 hours ago, Boof said:

What the **** has that got to do with the Samoa game?

Are you unable to admit that you've made a horse's ass of yourself of Wales-Belgium DVD proportions so that you have to try and pick a fault in my argument that was being generous to you?

Fair enough how about this for evidence - what you think you saw didn't ****ing happen. 

:lol: He’s had a nightmare (not for the first time). 

No doubt he’ll scuttle off for a few months before returning to bless us with his awe inspiring insight into sports psychology, politics, and comparable refereeing decisions. 

Edited by Captain Sausage

Crunch game for Scotland.  Lose against Samoa, and the spectre of WC qualifiers against the likes of Romania, Spain and Germany looms.