ri Alban

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Interesting comment. I always wonder about the emotions that losing at sport causes in others. For me it is disappointment. I sometimes think of turning off or leaving early but always manage to make myself stay - don't know if it is hope or masochism TBH...Seems that other people are ruled by anger, but I never get anger about other people's poor performance, only my own. 

I often wonder at how people can hold onto anger at a bad result or performance for days on end. You can see it over on the Terrace re Hearts. Have to admit, I just don't get it...

I was at the Nation league and Euro qualifiers. If that helps. :D

Still watching. Must be too hungover to work the remote.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Interesting comment. I always wonder about the emotions that losing at sport causes in others. For me it is disappointment. I sometimes think of turning off or leaving early but always manage to make myself stay - don't know if it is hope or masochism TBH...Seems that other people are ruled by anger, but I never get anger about other people's poor performance, only my own. 

I often wonder at how people can hold onto anger at a bad result or performance for days on end. You can see it over on the Terrace re Hearts. Have to admit, I just don't get it...

Expect to read in next couple of days how much players and coaches are hurting and how we will turn it round. Actions unfortunately speak louder than words and they cannot back the hollow words up.

Ref continues to see Scots offside while ignoring every offside from Ireland.

2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I would start with Price and keep Laidlaw to slow a game down near the end if we are leading. Laidlaw would be OK if our forwards could actually go through the fazes and not cough up cheap possession after a couple of weak drives.

Yeah. You are right, the problems with Scotland are in the weakness of the forwards in being incapable of recycling the ball reliably. The number of times our backs have to quickly go from attacking line to chasing back is incredible... Without the basics in place all the style and pinache in the World can only give you between 10 mins and a half of good rugby.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Gray coming off, didn't notice he was playing.

He hasn't played for years. Looks bored and disinterested every time he is on pitch but GT picks him anyway.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

He hasn't played for years. Looks bored and disinterested every time he is on pitch but GT picks him anyway.

I forgot it is his brother that was playing recently. Just shows how little impact either of them have on the pitch!

All roads lead to Gorgie

We can't even get momentum in the forward drive with Ireland one man down 🙄

Usual tale.   Too many handling errors.   Too much going to speculative kicking.    Totally schooled in the arts of ferocious line speed and counter rucking.     Ireland got the odd break but were always winning.    

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

For me Vern Cotter should still be the head coach. SRU panicked when Townsend threatened to go elsewhere.

Spot on.

4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Have the rules changed with scrums - the Irish guy just through it backwards to his players and not straight in the middle 

Been doing that for 20 years 

Line outs don't need to be straight either 

Who is the ref for Scotland v Japan? Has it been decided? If not, 100% it'll be Barnes. No ****ing danger are they not letting the hosts qualify for the quarters.

5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Who is the ref for Scotland v Japan? Has it been decided? If not, 100% it'll be Barnes. No ****ing danger are they not letting the hosts qualify for the quarters.

I think Scotland have more than enough to win a game like that.

Ref today didn't win Ireland the game. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think Scotland have more than enough to win a game like that.

Ref today didn't win Ireland the game. 

No, Scotland were awful but they still got nothing and he's generally crap!

All roads lead to Gorgie

I remember speaking to someone I know who coaches rugby at a fairly high level, I said to him you will be pleased Townsend has been appointed. He said no. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I remember speaking to someone I know who coaches rugby at a fairly high level, I said to him you will be pleased Townsend has been appointed. He said no. 

I think he needs to go after the we've been on a downward spiral since he took over. Isolated decent performances but the general competitiveness has dropped. We are easy beat nowadays. Poor discipline and poor basics. Perhaps we have too many mercenaries (not financial but they'd never play international rugby for their place of birth) in the team. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
20 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I think he needs to go after the we've been on a downward spiral since he took over. Isolated decent performances but the general competitiveness has dropped. We are easy beat nowadays. Poor discipline and poor basics. Perhaps we have too many mercenaries (not financial but they'd never play international rugby for their place of birth) in the team. 

Sometimes you feel the passion isn't quite the same as other teams but every nation seems to have players not born locally either. We just don't have the numbers playing maybe so are basically weaker to start with perhaps. 

One thing for sure we defended our line better under Cotter. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

Bunch of soft as shite hair doo posers lead by a complete and utter egotistical overly complicating coach.

getting rid of Vern cotter was the worst thing SRU have done. We are in total regression.

Scotland will get beat of Samoa and Japan, we might beat Russia.

Edited by JamboSpur

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Have the rules changed with scrums - the Irish guy just through it backwards to his players and not straight in the middle 

Health & Safety got involved a few years back when they changed the scrummage laws.  Hookers do not hook any longer as lifting a leg is dangerous with so much testosterone pushing against you.  Instead ball is put in "squint" behind the front row.  You never see a ball coning directly out the other side these days.

When I played representative rugby the front row were averaging 5' 10" and 2nd row were tall if 6' 4".  I was a prop at 6' 1" and considered too tall.  For many years Peter Stagg was considered a freak playing 2nd row for Scotland at 6' 7".  He was only good for line outs.

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Same consensus at my club.  Cotter should have remained until after the WC.  Knee jerk reaction by SRU when Townsend threatened to quit Warriors.  The team has deteriorated under Gregor.

Nothing old, nothing new, nothing ventured, nothing gained, nothing still-born or lost..

27 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Health & Safety got involved a few years back when they changed the scrummage laws.  Hookers do not hook any longer as lifting a leg is dangerous with so much testosterone pushing against you.  Instead ball is put in "squint" behind the front row. 

When I played representative rugby the front row were averaging 5' 10" and 2nd row were tall if 6' 4".  I was a prop at 6' 1" and considered too tall.  For many years Peter Stagg was considered a freak playing 2nd row for Scotland at 6' 7".  He was only good for line outs.

You never see one against the head either. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Same consensus at my club.  Cotter should have remained until after the WC.  Knee jerk reaction by SRU when Townsend threatened to quit Warriors.  The team has deteriorated under Gregor.

Nothing old, nothing new, nothing ventured, nothing gained, nothing still-born or lost..

Vern Cotter was building a strong and resolute pack and on the back of that we were starting to see the backs have the confidence to score after periods of patient build up from the forwards. Now it is rush rush rush from us with easy turnovers given away. Russell right now is erratic with his kicking and Hogg just seems to run fast into people, Cotter would have got more out of these two talented players especially by getting the pack to supply better ball further up the pitch.

25 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Score flattering England. Not been a great game. 

Sort of. Tonga have a population of 110,000 and New Zealand put 90 on them in their previous game - so that wasn't remotely impressive. But half the challenge when facing Pacific Island teams is to escape with no injuries. We did that and were defensively excellent, if frequently embarrassing when going forwards. We should be sponsored by Butterfinger on that evidence.

But it was solid enough. Satisfactory for the opening game, with the proper tests coming later.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I might have to turn this off.(A first) Had enough of Scotland being pish at everything.

There's a really serious question about just what the hell is going on with Scottish team sport. Scotland used to punch way above its weight in football and rugby. Now it punches way, well below it in football - and the rugby team so often flatters to deceive. Is it just the awful administrators in both sports - or more than that?

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Interesting comment. I always wonder about the emotions that losing at sport causes in others. For me it is disappointment. I sometimes think of turning off or leaving early but always manage to make myself stay - don't know if it is hope or masochism TBH...Seems that other people are ruled by anger, but I never get angry about other people's poor performance, only my own. 

I feel likewise. But then, there's always been something kinda *wrong* with me emotionally, in that I rarely get that excited or gutted either way. I'm just weirdly phlegmatic about it all: what happens on the pitch isn't in my control, after all.

This attitude extends towards me laughing my head off at inept English rugby performances and at the Iceland game at Euro 2016... though not, please note, at that mercenary arsehole Capello in South Africa. So I do have a line which I can be pushed over on occasion. And I'm not so miserable that I didn't go ballistic with excitement at the end of the Cricket World Cup Final or at Headingley. But I've also been known to applaud opposing teams' goals: England 0-2 France at Wembley in 1999, which might've been 8-0 given how good they were, a case in point.

16 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Sort of. Tonga have a population of 110,000 and New Zealand put 90 on them in their previous game - so that wasn't remotely impressive. But half the challenge when facing Pacific Island teams is to escape with no injuries. We did that and were defensively excellent, if frequently embarrassing when going forwards. We should be sponsored by Butterfinger on that evidence.

But it was solid enough. Satisfactory for the opening game, with the proper tests coming later.

England will step it up in harder games but they're still not great to watch, a bit like Wales. Wish Scotland could do it. I purposely didn't watch the game this morning as knew how it would turn out. Ireland are a bruising, well drilled team and we are the opposite. 

11 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Half the team crying was pathetic, they should be focused and ready to go, not emotional mess

Would you not be crying if you played for Scotland.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😥

The White Cockade
19 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

ECrwNbhXsAAHNs8.jpg

Big Peter would have been kicking their arses if he had been on the park

and God knows what brother Gordon would have done to them

The foreign born players are some of our best but personally I think rugby is

being devalued with all the "country swapping" going on in just about every team

If the South Sea Islands countries had all their players playing for them they would be right up there

with the top teams

I wasn't optimistic before the Ireland game but it was far worse than I thought it would be

Japan on on soil especially and Samoa will be very tough games to in now

On 22/09/2019 at 09:21, Boof said:

FFS did nae ***** see Best standing on Taylor's knee there?

I thought I must've been imagining things so checked the footage. Clear as you like - not a thing said by anyone...that I've heard.

RWC 2019.jpg

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Early opinions on the favourites?

New Zealand and South Africa 

But Wales, England and Ireland have an outside chance. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Boof said:

I thought I must've been imagining things so checked the footage. Clear as you like - not a thing said by anyone...that I've heard.

RWC 2019.jpg

I wonder if he'll be cited? I think we know the answer however.