ri Alban

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

We've gone backwards big time since the last world cup.

After a few years of really encouraging progress we chucked it all away a couple of years ago

That is known as the Gregor Townsend effect.

what a shock, Barnes misses clear penalty against Ireland in scrum  scrum but spots later offence to allow them a missed penalty. Guys  a prick.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• shaun.lawson

• Maroon Sailor

• ri Alban

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, neilnunb said:

Another dubious call from Willie Collum

I was going to add he's the (insert name of cheating Scottish football ref) but couldn't decide which cheat to name. Another official in sport who thinks it's all about them. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

what a shock, Barnes misses clear penalty against Ireland in scrum  scrum but spots later offence to allow them a missed penalty. Guys  a prick.

Clutching at straws here man. We are wank!

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Clutching at straws here man. We are wank!

We are, that isn't in question. Impartiality of ref however doesn't help. Neither does incompetence of coach. One win in club competition but a record of chucking big matches, especially in European cup. Cotter was improving us big time but we have regressed into a team who now and again are fantastic but have zero consistency.

11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Of all the Tier 1 nations, with the sole exception of Italy (who are Tier 1 in name only), Scotland is the hardest job. By far. Scotland have far and away the smallest player pool - and have been right up against it ever since professionalism came in.

Vern Cotter's one of the best coaches in the world. I don't think there's anyone out there demonstrably better than him - and that includes Hansen, Gatland and Schmidt. He's brilliant. Townsend's merely a good coach... but the chances of any of the world's great coaches ever wanting to coach Scotland again are between slim and none.

So today, Scotland have done what they could. While Ireland have been superb and shown why they're ranked number one in the world. It's much more a question of their excellence than any incompetence on Scotland's part. Barnes, meanwhile, has been fine. He talks a lot to maintain a rapport with both sides, and especially to ensure there's no problems at scrums and lineouts. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

Just now, shaun.lawson said:

Scotland have done what they could. While Ireland have been superb and shown why they're ranked number one in the world. It's much more a question of their excellence than any incompetence on Scotland's part. 

Scotland have handed the game to Ireland with a series of errors. 

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

Of all the Tier 1 nations, with the sole exception of Italy (who are Tier 1 in name only), Scotland is the hardest job. By far. Scotland have far and away the smallest player pool - and have been right up against it ever since professionalism came in.

Vern Cotter's one of the best coaches in the world. I don't think there's anyone out there demonstrably better than him - and that includes Hansen, Gatland and Schmidt. He's brilliant. But he also didn't want to stay in the job. Townsend's merely a good coach... but the chances of any of the world's great coaches ever wanting to coach Scotland again are between slim and none.

So today, Scotland have done what they could. While Ireland have been superb and shown why they're ranked number one in the world. It's much more a question of their excellence than any incompetence on Scotland's part. Barnes, meanwhile, has been fine. He talks a lot to maintain a rapport with both sides, and especially to ensure there's no problems at scrums and lineouts. 

Yes, he did.

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

This with bells and whistles. 

Townsends cluesless.

We really need a Jim Telfer type to come in and try to toughen up the pack. We just don't have that ruthlessness at the breakdown needed at this level.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yes, he did.

You're right! My bad. I cannot get my head round that decision.

Just now, Tazio said:

Geech sums up Ireland's defensive plan in 2 sentences. If only we had a rugby brain like him in charge.

Also failed in the professional era with Scotland. Miserably.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Absolutely but the Watson injury and that bounce back of the post has not helped. It seems we are the architect of our own downfall. This could be end up a confidence shattering result. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

OK, let's test this out. How much discussion is there of rugby in general on this forum outside of World Cups and the Six Nations? In fact, even during World Cups and the Six Nations, how much discussion is there on those threads of anything except Scotland?

You know why that is? Because there's limited interest in the sport in Scotland, and this forum's only a reflection of that. You reckon that's true in either Ireland or Wales? They care much more, so are much more successful. And round and round it goes. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

Time the imposter did something. Mr Russell get your finger oot. Ya shitebag!

The two wingers are the two biggest shitebags in RU, Seymour and bloody Maitland. Soft as shite.

2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

OK, let's test this out. How much discussion is there of rugby in general on this forum outside of World Cups and the Six Nations? In fact, even during World Cups and the Six Nations, how much discussion is there on those threads of anything except Scotland?

You know why that is? Because there's limited interest in the sport in Scotland, and this forum's only a reflection of that. You reckon that's true in either Ireland or Wales? They care much more, so are much more successful. And round and round it goes. 

What's the excuse for our shite fitbaw? We talk plenty about that. :D

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

The two wingers are the two biggest shitebags in RU, Seymour and bloody Maitland. Soft as shite.

Hogg apart, the backs are a bunch of posers.

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Time the imposter did something. Mr Russell get your finger oot. Ya shitebag!

Would help if he got ball when we were going forward instead of Laidlaw being slow to get him the ball. Russell can't do anything until forwards go forward instead of backwards/sideways.

Seymour M Hersh
4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

The whole team is soft as putty. Cheers Gregor. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We are, that isn't in question. Impartiality of ref however doesn't help. Neither does incompetence of coach. One win in club competition but a record of chucking big matches, especially in European cup. Cotter was improving us big time but we have regressed into a team who now and again are fantastic but have zero consistency.

Scotland always show patches of promise and then regress. It’s been going on for literally decades

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Would help if he got ball when we were going forward instead of Laidlaw being slow to get him the ball. Russell can't do anything until forwards go forward instead of backwards/sideways.

He just kicks, what happened to the flair he had. Maybe he'll turn up against the lesser teams as usual.

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He just kicks, what happened to the flair he had. Maybe he'll turn up against the lesser teams as usual.

If Laidlaw would just make a break and not just feed Russel with half of Ireland all over him then we might see more from him.

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Because the forwards aren't going forward against big teams. You can't create when you have someone in your face at the same time as you get the ball. He has more flair than any number 10 in world rugby but without go forward pack, his talents are negated.

honest, it isn't rocket science.

Barnes continuing to allow Ireland to infringe constantly in scrums. What do you do to change things when ref only sees one side offending and ignored clear penalty offences by other. It is clear bias but nothing changes.

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Because the forwards aren't going forward against big teams. You can't create when you have someone in your face at the same time as you get the ball. He has more flair than any number 10 in world rugby but without go forward pack, his talents are negated.

honest, it isn't rocket science.

Barnes continuing to allow Ireland to infringe constantly in scrums. What do you do to change things when ref only sees one side offending and ignored clear penalty offences by other. It is clear bias but nothing changes.

Fair does, I do agree about the Ref. 👍

Where's Huw Jones, did GT not pick him?

Game over!

I'd say , sack GT now, but he's the safest man in World Rugby.

Edited by ri Alban

Captain Sausage

I think it’s safe to say the SRU messed it up by dumping Cotter for Townsend.

All the progress we had made is gone. Sad times. 

16 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Laidlaw is so slow and hesitant. You don't get time at this level.

He's there for his kicking, but that's been pointless (almost literally) in this game. It is not really a match for the long throw but I always think Russell could do with that extra second that a quicker and longer throwing scrum half might afford him at international level. Too often Russell makes the wrong decision.

It is looking like a big mistake by the SRU in not renewing Cotter's contract because they were worried that they'd lose Townsend...Cannot help but suspect that the tartan rug part of the board wanted a Scottish passport in charge...

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

He's there for his kicking, but that's been pointless (almost literally) in this game. It is not really a match for the long throw but I always think Russell could do with that extra second that a quicker and longer throwing scrum half might afford him at international level. Too often Russell makes the wrong decision.

It is looking like a big mistake by the SRU in not renewing Cotter's contract because they were worried that they'd lose Townsend...Cannot help but suspect that the tartan rug part of the board wanted a Scottish passport in charge...

Cotter should have been retained and Townsend allowed to leave Glasgow and further prove himself in England and, or France first.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I might have to turn this off.(A first) Had enough of Scotland being pish at everything.

Many said the same at Twickenham earlier this year. 

manaliveits105

Scotland kick the ball and no Scotland player gets within 2 yards of it

Ireland kick the ball and an Irish player challenges where it lands

Cry at your national anthem then fail to turn up

embarassing

No restbite here.  I was hoping to go into the derby on a high.

Scotland do not have the pack to protect Russell.  Laidlaw is Scotland's best No 9 but his game is well known and can be negated.  In NFL parlance the QB is being sack too often.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

I would start with Price and keep Laidlaw to slow a game down near the end if we are leading. Laidlaw would be OK if our forwards could actually go through the fazes and not cough up cheap possession after a couple of weak drives.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, DETTY29 said:

Cotter should have been retained and Townsend allowed to leave Glasgow and further prove himself in England and, or France first.

Everyone thought the same apart from the Glasgow obsessed SRU contingent who think Townsend is some sort of rugby messiah, instead of the one trick pony he appears to rest of us.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I might have to turn this off.(A first) Had enough of Scotland being pish at everything.

Interesting comment. I always wonder about the emotions that losing at sport causes in others. For me it is disappointment. I sometimes think of turning off or leaving early but always manage to make myself stay - don't know if it is hope or masochism TBH...Seems that other people are ruled by anger, but I never get angry about other people's poor performance, only my own. 

I often wonder at how people can hold onto anger at a bad result or performance for days on end. You can see it over on the Terrace re Hearts. Have to admit, I just don't get it...

Edited by Spellczech

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

We are top of the league of being pish, my friend.

And we'd still find a way to feck that up.  If they decide on a second league at the six Nations, we'd better watch, as we could end up relegated.

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Scotland kick the ball and no Scotland player gets within 2 yards of it

Ireland kick the ball and an Irish player challenges where it lands

Cry at your national anthem then fail to turn up

embarassing

Half the team crying was pathetic, they should be focused and ready to go, not emotional mess