When it comes to the club choosing a new manager.

Gambo

When the club come to choose a new manager  

366 members have voted

1. 1. When the club come to choose a new manager, would you prefer

• An appointment from within with Levein as D.o.F.?
    • An appointment with a Hearts connection with Levein as D.o.F. ie Robbo, McCann, Pressley, Hartley, Sergio etc?
    • An appointment with Hearts connection (as above) but no Levein as D.o.F.?
    • Get rid of Levein completely and advertise the job?

12 minutes ago, Flogel14 said:

No need for any interim arrangements IMO.  Start the recruitment process now and then appoint as soon as the dismissal is announced.  If Ann needs some advice she could try calling the Watford Chairman

Will cost a fortune to relieve 4 people form their job with contracts.  What a cluster **** Budge has got us into.

46 minutes ago, Flogel14 said:

No need for any interim arrangements IMO.  Start the recruitment process now and then appoint as soon as the dismissal is announced.  If Ann needs some advice she could try calling the Watford Chairman

Do you mean the guy who hired the same manager he let go 3 years earlier and who presided over a loss of over £30m in one season?

I don't think that's the kind of advice we need.

4 hours ago, Bauld said:

It's been covered above 😅

Always worth repeating in case you forget! 😉

20 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Locke, Johnston, Naysmith, Pressley, Jefferies all the same.

Assume you mean Alan Johnston. He's just signed a new contract with Bristol City.

Levein should be shown the door, he’s had his chance and failed.

Advertise the job and pick the best applicant, somebody with 21st century ideas that can get our club back where we belong. 

Budge and Levein were ruthless when they took over the club and Budge has to be ruthless again. 

If Levein stays on then he will only appoint a manager that is willing to work within his structure so it would be same old, same old boring football. Even Billy Davies said as much after he was interviewed last time. So for me he makes a clean break. If money is a bit tight for paying out compensation packages for the coaching team then we need to look within on a temporary basis. For me it's Gary Locke with Gary Naysmith as assistant. Steven Naismith can get involved in the coaching also. After that, we advertise, once we've got some extra funds available, and see what names pop up. No point in getting second best in right now when there is the possibility of new names looking for work over the next few months through to the end of the season. We may find a real good one.

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

If Levein stays on then he will only appoint a manager that is willing to work within his structure so it would be same old, same old boring football. Even Billy Davies said as much after he was interviewed last time. So for me he makes a clean break. If money is a bit tight for paying out compensation packages for the coaching team then we need to look within on a temporary basis. For me it's Gary Locke with Gary Naysmith as assistant. Steven Naismith can get involved in the coaching also. After that, we advertise, once we've got some extra funds available, and see what names pop up. No point in getting second best in right now when there is the possibility of new names looking for work over the next few months through to the end of the season. We may find a real good one.

Why would a good manager be looking for work?

Maybe because he is not really all that good or his demands are not acceptable eg Billy Davies is still unemployed.

I hear all the above but i fear most are missing a major point here. Ann is in the position of picking the potential long list and short list candidates but she is not capable of this given her lack of football knowledge (even after 5 years). She can't possibly select this person and Levein as we know will try and influence the selection process to have a manager that suits his position. 

As someone above said we are in a hell of a mess caused by Ann's trust in Levein so I'd recommend she appoints a proper professional football recruitment agent or independent football expert on a short term contract (not another employee) to do the work on this and present the appropriate candidates to her (not Craig) with the advisor working to a tight brief. Then it should be a case of shortlist of three and this increases out chances of not f++king up yet another managerial appointment. She needs a close professional advisor with wide-ranging football industry knowledge who is a million miles from the standard Scottish "football men". 

Hampden Demolition
3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Assume you mean Alan Johnston. He's just signed a new contract with Bristol City.

That would be Lee Johnson, who incidentally is good enough but isn’t realistic.

38 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

That would be Lee Johnson, who incidentally is good enough but isn’t realistic.

Sorry you're right. It was Lee I was getting confused with. 

1 hour ago, Johnny D said:

Why not?

Still waiting on JiH to tell me why he thinks David Robertson is the right choice then I can say why I do or don’t agree 💁🏻‍♂️

On 16/09/2019 at 18:22, Lovecraft said:

Ranieri is available.

Linked with us a long time ago!  Almost 15 years now!

I would be over the ****ing moon if we could get someone with the calibre of Ranieri in.

Pasquale for King

A complete clear out of all the coaching staff apart from

Andy Kirk downwards. A new DoF from abroad who will pick a coaching staff. No connection with Scotland or the OF, like Sergio wax for example.

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, eyesandears said:

I hear all the above but i fear most are missing a major point here. Ann is in the position of picking the potential long list and short list candidates but she is not capable of this given her lack of football knowledge (even after 5 years). She can't possibly select this person and Levein as we know will try and influence the selection process to have a manager that suits his position. 

As someone above said we are in a hell of a mess caused by Ann's trust in Levein so I'd recommend she appoints a proper professional football recruitment agent or independent football expert on a short term contract (not another employee) to do the work on this and present the appropriate candidates to her (not Craig) with the advisor working to a tight brief. Then it should be a case of shortlist of three and this increases out chances of not f++king up yet another managerial appointment. She needs a close professional advisor with wide-ranging football industry knowledge who is a million miles from the standard Scottish "football men". 

Mark Allen has left Rangers, he might be a good short term appointment to pick a new DoF and get some inside info on them to help us challenge.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Great post. Strange to find on here. Just mountains of shite trying to downplay Levein's disastrous 2nd spell as manager. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Did you say the same when Mercer, Robinson, Romanov etc were hiring and firing managers? Or any other chairman/owner for that matter as they tend to have the square root of **** all football knowledge, Hibs last two

owners being great examples. Tom Farmer didn’t even seem

to like football. 

It’s not because Budge is a woman

is it!?

Given how closely she’s worked with Levein, who - no matter what anyone thinks of him or how hes done this spell as manager - has a lot if football knowledge and experience. Very few owners get to work so closely with someone of that stature and experience.

She’ll know fine well what we need - both as a fan and owner. I suspect we’ll go somewhere in between Neilson and Levein - a still young but experienced manager willing to work with youngsters and within a sustainable budget.

annushorribilis III
35 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Did you say the same when Mercer, Robinson, Romanov etc were hiring and firing managers? Or any other chairman/owner for that matter as they tend to have the square root of **** all football knowledge, Hibs last two

owners being great examples. Tom Farmer didn’t even seem

to like football. 

It’s not because Budge is a woman

is it!?

Given how closely she’s worked with Levein, who - no matter what anyone thinks of him or how hes done this spell as manager - has a lot if football knowledge and experience. Very few owners get to work so closely with someone of that stature and experience.

She’ll know fine well what we need - both as a fan and owner. I suspect we’ll go somewhere in between Neilson and Levein - a still young but experienced manager willing to work with youngsters and within a sustainable budget.

She doesn't- he's still in charge. 

As for his "stature & experience" - so what ? The football is atrocious : he's being judged on the here & now and in ABs own words ie the league performances,  fell (and still fall) short of what is required/expected. He.Is.Failing. 

Budge is failing too because she is failing to act, not because of her sex. 

I really wanted Cathro to work, I saw it as innovative.

Levein has done good work with the academy, I wish his ego would let him step back and just handle that. Surely the board, whatever it is ? Can vote CL off his position as DoF, whole coaching staff needs emptied, they are all culpable, if for nothing more than being CL's "yes men".

18 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Would not surprise me if she starts looking for the exit too, if Levein has to go...

This. Next year was my thinking, but the train has sped up a tad.

9 hours ago, tian447 said:

Linked with us a long time ago!  Almost 15 years now!

I would be over the ****ing moon if we could get someone with the calibre of Ranieri in.

He was linked to the Guinea job, so he is looking for work.

I can't imagine Guinea will be offering a pile of cash.

I was 100% being serious too.   

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/ranieri-experienced-italian-the-top-candidate-for-guinea-job/ct6pfqqaz2n61fum9ibig3mfs

Edited by Lovecraft

What about Peter Houston?

Took over Leveins Dundee Utd team and won the Scottish cup. Managed them for about 3 years.

Finished 3rd in 09/10, 4th in 10/11, 4th in 11/12.

He was replaced by Jackie McNamara half way through 12/13 where they finished 6th. He had already stated he would leave at the end of the season anyway. Dundee United and Houston started contract negotiations during the 2012–13 season, but United chairman Stephen Thompson insisted that Houston would have to accept a cut in salary. They made the QF of the league cup(losing to us) and Scottish cup semi(losing to Celtic)

After working for Celtic as a scout, Houston was appointed manager of Falkirk in June 2014. He guided Falkirk to the promotion playoffs twice and Scottish cup final in 2015 but was unable to win promotion. We all know why he didn't win promotion though, he was getting that Falkirk team to push Hibs and Rangers all the way, even putting Hibs out of the promotion play offs. In my opinion after getting to the play off final they were just too goosed to beat Kilmarnock and secure promotion.

Seems like the 2 clubs he managed found some success with him in charge. Both getting to cup finals and winning a trophy. Both finishing high up the league table.

7 minutes ago, Bauld said:

What about Peter Houston?

Took over Leveins Dundee Utd team and won the Scottish cup. Managed them for about 3 years.

Finished 3rd in 09/10, 4th in 10/11, 4th in 11/12.

He was replaced by Jackie McNamara half way through 12/13 where they finished 6th. He had already stated he would leave at the end of the season anyway. Dundee United and Houston started contract negotiations during the 2012–13 season, but United chairman Stephen Thompson insisted that Houston would have to accept a cut in salary. They made the QF of the league cup(losing to us) and Scottish cup semi(losing to Celtic)

After working for Celtic as a scout, Houston was appointed manager of Falkirk in June 2014. He guided Falkirk to the promotion playoffs twice and Scottish cup final in 2015 but was unable to win promotion. We all know why he didn't win promotion though, he was getting that Falkirk team to push Hibs and Rangers all the way, even putting Hibs out of the promotion play offs. In my opinion after getting to the play off final they were just too goosed to beat Kilmarnock and secure promotion.

Seems like the 2 clubs he managed found some success with him in charge. Both getting to cup finals and winning a trophy. Both finishing high up the league table.

I would be happy with that. Always thought he was a good manager. Did pretty well at Falkirk and after he hot sacked they have gone down hill. 

Just now, Superunknown said:

I would be happy with that. Always thought he was a good manager. Did pretty well at Falkirk and after he hot sacked they have gone down hill. 

Dundee utd didn't last much long either though that was mainly down to McNamara and the board selling all their best players. That happened to Houston in 2010 when they sold all their talent such as Goodwillie but he managed to keep them going.

I should have mentioned he is currently coaching with the Scotland U21s I believe. So he will know a few of our boys already.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Clean slate needed. There should be loads of excellent applicants who see the potential of the club and who would love to manage us. 

Clean break exit with Levein and the boot room leaving the club.

CL cannot credibly supervise any head coach having failed in the role himself.

21 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Is no-one else concerned that if she does release Levein the 3 stoogies on the dugout will remain and take reigns?

There is no point letting Levein go is Mcfluff heid et al replace him.

How much to get rid of the lot though?

22 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Do you mean the guy who hired the same manager he let go 3 years earlier and who presided over a loss of over £30m in one season?

I don't think that's the kind of advice we need.

I think you've taken the second part of what I've said a bit too literally there 

1 hour ago, Flogel14 said:

I think you've taken the second part of what I've said a bit too literally there 

I considered the whole lot and you'll find he is not all that good, either with Watford or West Ham.

Presumably you mean because he fired and hired (or rehired) a new man immediately.

Just imagine if we fire CL today at 3pm and announce the rehiring of Cathro at 3.15.

I don't think Ann Budge needs to get any advice from Duxbury.

I believe there a hundreds of managers and their assistants out there that Hearts could employ that are miles better than Levein and his Boot Room. I named about 10 in about 10 minutes just over a week ago and one, Gary Monk, has been snapped up already. 

Many things must happen first like Ann Budges report, Levein & co sacked, McPhee, Daly & Fox sacked, fitness and medical staff sacked, 2 ex players appointed to the board  as non executive directors like Alan McLaren and Walter Kidd. 

Now all this could be done in days while temporary positions could be filled while advertising and interviewing was arranged.

Nothing I have laid out is impossible all we need is the will to get the job done by our board.

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

I believe there a hundreds of managers and their assistants out there that Hearts could employ that are miles better than Levein and his Boot Room. I named about 10 in about 10 minutes just over a week ago and one, Gary Monk, has been snapped up already. 

Many things must happen first like Ann Budges report, Levein & co sacked, McPhee, Daly & Fox sacked, fitness and medical staff sacked, 2 ex players appointed to the board  as non executive directors like Alan McLaren and Walter Kidd. 

Now all this could be done in days while temporary positions could be filled while advertising and interviewing was arranged.

Nothing I have laid out is impossible all we need is the will to get the job done by our board.

How much do you reckon it would cost to sack them?

As AB will be handing over shortly to FoH would this be money well spent?

Would any manager worth his salt come here on a temporary basis?

If they got a longer contract FoH would be saddled with them and their cost if they failed too.  Is that a good idea?

What business or football managerial experience do AM and WK have that make them suitable for the Board?

22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

How much do you reckon it would cost to sack them?

As AB will be handing over shortly to FoH would this be money well spent?

Would any manager worth his salt come here on a temporary basis?

If they got a longer contract FoH would be saddled with them and their cost if they failed too.  Is that a good idea?

What business or football managerial experience do AM and WK have that make them suitable for the Board?

You are so negative thank god you are not in charge of Hearts as nothing would get done.

You really need to give yourself a shake and stop sleep walking onto a treadmill that gets you 

know where.

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You are so negative thank god you are not in charge of Hearts as nothing would get done.

You really need to give yourself a shake and stop sleep walking onto a treadmill that gets you 

know where.

I thought for a second you were going to give a constructive reply ie one with some forethought.

I have already said (elsewhere) that if we make a hash of the next 2 results, I'd hope CL would do the honourable thing but to dismiss the lot would be a hugely costly exercise and would use up money a new manager would find more than useful in the January window - if it ever comes to that.

Now could you answer the questions I asked  and don't forget the one re Kidd and McLaren.

On 16/09/2019 at 13:53, Hampden Demolition said:

There isn’t a single person good enough to manage this club that has a connection to Hearts.

Correct, of course.

My much bigger concern is: there isn't a single person at Hearts who is qualified to make this decision. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

On 17/09/2019 at 12:52, eyesandears said:

Precisely this. :clap: 

Genuine customers know that there is no need for a new manager.  The current one is doing a great job with the plan.

That was the one about continuity of squad with no need for a hundred signings, bootroom management candidates succeeding seamlessly, selling players for profits, getting at least 4th place in the league, playing the same style through the club.  That plan.

Or was it the one where performance was so bad that managers had to be sacked, the squad ripped up and replaced - and then replaced again, league performance was dreadful, hardly any players were sold, the Academy didn't produce a first team first choice player in 5 and a bit seasons, spending on all other infrastructure had to stop because so much cash had to go into the first team squad.  That plan?

Nevermind, so long as Budge is at Hearts, Craig will be picking the team!

On 16/09/2019 at 18:07, Hampden Demolition said:

I am getting sick of people saying the same names.

McCann - not good enough

Robbo - not good enough

Paulo - not good enough 

Hartley - not good enough

Locke, Johnston, Naysmith, Pressley, Jefferies all the same.

This is correct.