• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Maroon Sailor

• A Shoreditch Heart

• maggieb

I used to sit on the wall in the South Enclosure and loved it when Bobby got the ball. His end product was erratic and sometimes held on to the ball too long but you knew there was always a feeling of expectation when he got the ball at his feet and started running at defenders.

The Goalscoring Knee

Just wish there was more footage in existence of him flying up the park. Rab Prentice with the wind in his sails was a sight to behold.

John mcCartney
24 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Can’t help but feel we should make a gesture here to let his family know the regard he’s still held in by the Hearts support.

Flowers or donation to charity or something. 

Maybe I’m just being sentimental but I’ll happily chip in. 

me too

39 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Can’t help but feel we should make a gesture here to let his family know the regard he’s still held in by the Hearts support.

Yep, I’ll do that, Barney.

Terrible news this. RIP Bobby. Honest to god they don't make wingers like Rab Prentice any more. Great memories from the otherwise dismal 1970's.

Prentice run - Prentice dribble - Prentice cross - Busby header - GOAL!

53 minutes ago, maggieb said:

Thanks for the memories sir , you are joining some team up there, god bless you ....RIP

Cool. mags.

Lovely wee message.

39 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I’m in 

1 minute ago, Danny Wilde said:

Terrible news this. RIP Bobby. Honest to god they don't make wingers like Rab Prentice any more. Great memories from the otherwise dismal 1970's.

Prentice run - Prentice dribble - Prentice cross - Busby header - GOAL!

:yas:

Let’s do the Hibs at the weekend in memory of Mr Prentice.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Almost cried myself, Mart. Not ashamed to admit that.

These runs of his, nose in the air, beat his defender (or three!) then went back and beat them again just for the Hell of it.  Magic stuff.

And often again and maybe again. I am sure he was once quoted as saying he liked beating players more than scoring. He was brilliant but frustrating. Oh for a player like him now though. 

And like you Morgan, there was a tear in my eye when I heard this news. 

RIP Bobby. And thanks for the memories. 

3 minutes ago, grumpy rebus said:

And often again and maybe again. I am sure he was once quoted as saying he liked beating players more than scoring. He was brilliant but frustrating. Oh for a player like him now though. 

A sad day, grumpy, that’s for sure.

5 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Could the mods do something through JKB to organise a collection?

Memorial garden plaque, ask a family friend or member if any favourite causes or charities. 

Don’t really know any mods to ask. 

@Maple Leaf will get this going, I’d think?

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Cool. mags.

Lovely wee message.

Thanks Captain, I don’t want to bring back bad memories at this time but this lad used to get dogs abuse on the park, the team just now could do with watching ,instead of sulking or disappearing he would get the socks down and try like f

a hell of a lot of good memories,what a guy

5 minutes ago, grumpy rebus said:

Agree with you there grumpy, football is entertainment based, and wee Bobby Prentice was brilliant, you felt your heart beating faster as he surged forward.

He was one of my favourites when me and my pals used to stand under the tv gantry in the 70s. RIP wee man.

2 minutes ago, maggieb said:

Thanks Captain, I don’t want to bring back bad memories at this time but this lad used to get dogs abuse on the park, the team just now could do with watching ,instead of sulking or disappearing he would get the socks down and try like f

a hell of a lot of good memories,what a guy

Good to hear from you for the second time in a week or so.

Sorry it has to be under this circumstance though.

As you say, what a guy.

1 minute ago, jamboozy said:

Agree with you there grumpy, football is entertainment based, and wee Bobby Prentice was brilliant, you felt your heart beating faster as he surged forward.

He was one of my favourites when me and my pals used to stand under the tv gantry in the 70s. RIP wee man.

Why didn’t you just say ‘Refreshments sign’?  :lol:

Excellent post JB, right from the heart. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Why didn’t you just say ‘Refreshments sign’?  :lol:

Excellent post JB, right from the heart. :thumbsup:

there was refreshments:laugh2: probably didn't notice as I was barging to the shanty for my 5/6 piss of the day Morg.

Indeed, it is from the heart mate, I'm sitting at my desk on a small refit job at Straiton feeling a bit sad for Bobby's family and close friends, you know? it never gets any easier does it buddy?

1 minute ago, jamboozy said:

there was refreshments:laugh2: probably didn't notice as I was barging to the shanty for my 5/6 piss of the day Morg.

Indeed, it is from the heart mate, I'm sitting at my desk on a small refit job at Straiton feeling a bit sad for Bobby's family and close friends, you know? it never gets any easier does it buddy?

It doesnae, mate. It really doesnae.

The Shed was the place, like.  :thumbsup:

Francis Albert

Just caught up with this. Bobby Prentice dead!

One of the greatest players of the last 50 years. Alas not consistently so but then very few of even the greatest are.

Great memories of the "New Messiah" as an Evening News headline once described him when he first appeared.

R.I.P

One that excited us growing up. I remember Rab, Drew Busby and Malky Robertson, coming to the Drylaw and District Player of the Year. We didn't like Malky, he hadn't long arrived at the club, and we thought he was going to take his place in the team.  Rab came over to us junior supporters, introduced Malky and said he was his mate and he was sure we would give him a big cheer at Tynie. We loved Malky after that.

As others have said, he was a shining light in the dark days.

We all called him Rab because Drew Busby called him Rab.

2 hours ago, Jambob said:

He could light up a game on his day. The goal at Tynecastle for the Scotland under 23s is one of my lasting memories of him.

I was there that night because of him. What a performance. 

5 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

That's horrible news.

'WE'VE GOT BOBBY BOBBY BOBBY BOBBY PRENTICE ON THE WING, ON THE WING.

Bobby oh Bobby Prentice .....

great memories, very sad news. 

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I used to sit on the wall in the South Enclosure and loved it when Bobby got the ball. His end product was erratic and sometimes held on to the ball too long but you knew there was always a feeling of expectation when he got the ball at his feet and started running at defenders.

A dying art. Gotta love that kind of player. Before my time as a Jambo but RIP sir

1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

A dying art. Gotta love that kind of player. Before my time as a Jambo but RIP sir

I was in the enclosure as a boy....under the T for travel. Memories are hazy but I remember my grandad saying he was a proper winger. Most of my recollections are probably from youtube.

One of proudest was  Rab making me a cup of tea.   I used to get the same bus to the game as him.  I'd be going into the city centre to have a look at the record shops and he would be going to the game I was paying into to.  RIP Rab.  

Sad news indeed - RIP Bobby and condolences to his family and friends.  Another of my Hearts idols from the 70’s passed too soon. Along with many others I was in the crowd for the U23 game vs Denmark - crowd numbers were swelled by many Hearts supporters attending just because he was in the squad, and we were rewarded with a stunning goal. Also have another recollection of Bobby changing his stride pattern as he chased down a ball towards the school end before pinging over a cross that resulted in one of the goals in a 2-2 draw with Aberdeen, with all four goals coming in the first ten minutes or so of the game. Could be frustratingly inconsistent as a player but it’s the positive memories that stand out. One of my favourite players when I was a kid.

Craig Herbertson

Condolences to Rab's family and friends. He was a mesmerising player, magnificent on his day. Alan Anderson once told me that Rab would beat a couple of players, the whole team would advance and then Rab would turn round and do it all again for fun.

Another boyhood hero  sadly gone.

7 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

One of proudest was  Rab making me a cup of tea.   I used to get the same bus to the game as him.  I'd be going into the city centre to have a look at the record shops and he would be going to the game I was paying into to.  RIP Rab.  

Can you imagine a kid today getting the bus to the game with big Uche?

Not happening is it. 

Mickey Thomas used to get on my school bus sometimes when he was at Wrexham. 

Fond memories of him, none more so than when turning up at Firhill to watch us play Thistle and Rab was out warming up with his newly styled perm. Great banter given from both him and the fans. RIP Bobby Prentice

Yeah great memories we all had perms back then thought we were the dogs bollocks, as rod said our dads thought we looked ridiculous, it’s a sobering thought didn’t realise he was younger than me.

37 minutes ago, ozjambo said:

Yeah great memories we all had perms back then thought we were the dogs bollocks, as rod said our dads thought we looked ridiculous, it’s a sobering thought didn’t realise he was younger than me.

Other way round for me. It was my dad who looked ridiculous. He got the perm around 1978 when he was in his early 30's. My mum did it.