• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Maroon Sailor

• A Shoreditch Heart

• maggieb

52 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

According to London Hearts. His final appearance was in a 4-0 defeat at Ibrox on 28/4/79.

Do you remember the details of your first game. Opposition,result etc?

EDIT: it looks like he was an unused sub in that game. His last appearance seems to be a 3-0 defeat by Celtic at Tynecastle on 18/4/79.

Thanks. Was a 2-1 win over Dunfermline.  Possibly around October as a birthday treat! 

Whenever Bobby received the ball it lifted the crowd in anticipation that he might go on one his mazy runs. He was a one off. Thanks Bobby for those special memories R.I.P.

Alex MacDonald
4 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

Is that the one in the under 23 international at Tynecastle when he waltzed round players on the bye line coming in from the left wing.

What an incredible piece of skill it was and I still remember it to this day.

Yes Corry, against Denmark, last goal in a 4-1 win in front of 18,000 at Tynecastle. A stunning goal.

30 minutes ago, martoon said:

"Oh no" was my first thought when I opened the thread, Morg. Bobby signed for Hearts when I was five and was my idol as a wee boy in the '70's. Never cried for a departed player but feeling this more than any before.

God bless, Rab.

RIP

Almost cried myself, Mart. Not ashamed to admit that.

These runs of his, nose in the air, beat his defender (or three!) then went back and beat them again just for the Hell of it.  Magic stuff.

All roads lead to Gorgie

As a kid Rab Prentice along with Drew Busby were the two players I knew about first even before I had been taken to a game. I did see them play later and they were head and shoulders above the rest of the late 70s team. 

Prentice was my favourite as he played on the wing close to where I would stand in the enclosure. 

RIP Bobby. 

Alex MacDonald

My first Hearts first team game was a 3-1 over Partick Thistle in 73/74. Drew Busby scored a second half hat-trick, all from Bobby Prentice crosses. A special memory of a special player.

A Shoreditch Heart
11 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

Is that the one in the under 23 international at Tynecastle when he waltzed round players on the bye line coming in from the left wing.

it was a Wednesday night in 1975 I think and possibly one of the the greatest goals I've ever seen at Tynecastle - What a great player - I loved the guy.

Hackney Hearts
1 minute ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Yes Corry, against Denmark, last goal in a 4-1 win in front of 18,000 at Tynecastle. A stunning goal.

I was there - it was so exciting to have a Hearts player involved in any kind of Scotland team in the mid-Seventies! So for him to come on as a sub, and then score a fantastic goal - it brought the house down.

In his last couple of seasons, when he was often restricted to the Hearts bench, there was an old guy who used to stand behind me and my mate shouting "Bring Oan Prentice!!" for most of the match - it became a catchphrase that we use to this day.

RIP Rab

2 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

That's horrible news.

'WE'VE GOT BOBBY BOBBY BOBBY BOBBY PRENTICE ON THE WING, ON THE WING.

Mate just messaged me the news with the song at the end of the message... last time I heard it sung was down at Tottenham!

RIP Bobby!

For what it's worth I want to say this.

For all the stuff that we're going through now, and have done through all the years I have followed Hearts,  it's the memory of players like Rab Prentice that I will cherish most.

He's not alone, there have been a lot of players who I will remember  until I have no memories. but he's right up there.

Terrible News. My condolences to his family. Cracking Hearts man when, as others have said, our dark days. Thank You Bobby P 

Absolutely tragic news. My first ever hero. Playing in the back field as kid, we all wanted to be Bobby Prentice. A true winger. Sadly missed, fondly remembered.

Rest in peace Bobby HHGH 🇱🇻

Just now, BelgeJambo said:

Did he ever get called Rab?

seem to remember he did back in the day

Drew Busby always calls him Rab. 

18 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

And so do I. If I remember correctly it was against Denmark and when he came on as a sub and the crowd lit up with excitement.  For those of us of a certain vintage it feels the same as when Cruickie passed away. Some never age in our minds and their image is frozen in the prime of their time and this is how I'll remember Bobby. It was a pleasure.

When I was a youngster wearing my Hearts strip I always wanted to be Rab Prentice. The excitement he would create when he drifted past players was amazing. It’s almost a lost art now, going past players with outrageous skill.  

Will be sadly missed by thousands of Hearts fans.

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

one of the few bright spots in the dark years 

Imagine if he'd scored with that second run, would have been arguably the greatest goal seen at Tynecastle.

😥

30 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

For what it's worth I want to say this.

For all the stuff that we're going through now, and have done through all the years I have followed Hearts,  it's the memory of players like Rab Prentice that I will cherish most.

He's not alone, there have been a lot of players who I will remember  until I have no memories. but he's right up there.

Lovely post, mate.

Seconded by myself.

In terms of players we signed from Celtic there are only two who stand out: John Colquhoun and Rab Prentice. I will never forget the start of the 73/74 season when we had signed Prentice, Busby and Aird and also had John Stevenson and Jimmy Cant come through. Not far off being an amazing team and Prentice in the thick of things. What an entertainer! RIP

alwaysthereinspirit
36 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Mate just messaged me the news with the song at the end of the message... last time I heard it sung was down at Tottenham!

RIP Bobby!

So sad to hear this news today. Sucks getting old. My first heroes were Cruickshank, Ford and Anderson.

Then came the new guys Busby, Prentice and Ralph C. So many memories. Not all great but fun times.

Bus fares, money to get in, money for a snack at the game, money for chips after and bus fares home.

Grab a Pink News and Saturday was complete. Simpler times.

Remember being mesmerized watching Rab playing  for Newtongrange star. Was over the moon when he ended up at Tynecastle .

A bright light in a dark era for us , as so many supporters of a certain age will remember. 

Condolences to his family and friends. 

In later years Rab had his problems but what a popular player he was. I’m not sure he ever realised it himself. Thanks for the memories Bobby Prentice on the wing 🙂 

So sorry to read this news. 

As a kid, wanted to be him or Drew Busby when playing football. 

Probaly saw him play, but honestly can't remember for sure, as I was pretty young. (My first game was about 1978). 

Thanks for the fond memories. 

Condolonces to family amd friends. 

RIP. 

Have sung his song so many times despite not being born for almost a decade after he finished playing. Love the videos, looked some player on his day.

a question of genuine interest - I just googled his career, is there a reason he only played for 6/7 years? Seems a very short career. 

Terrible news, puts the last few days in to perspective.  Liked a laugh. Nicked my trumpet on the train back from Brockville after one midweek game. Amazing talent.

1 hour ago, corryjambo said:

Great goal. I guess there’s not footage of it. Andy Gray scored the other three.