• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Maroon Sailor

• A Shoreditch Heart

• maggieb

Him, Gibson and Busby are among the first players I remember seeing as a wee boy. What's the point of beating your man once if you can do it twice, the classic example of the maverick winger. RIP, my condolences to his family. 

12 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Had a few pints with Bobby in Woodburn club,tales of playing against Pele and Beckenbauer.Sad news.

Had a few with him in the Coach and Horses over the years with him, RIP Rab.  :( 

Pasquale for King

Sad news, loved him as a player as I was left winger too. One of extremely few great players we had in the 70s, those curling crosses. 

RIP Bobby.

46 minutes ago, EH22-Jambo said:

Heard earlier today, waited until got confirmation all his family and closest friends have now been informed, unfortunately he has passed. RIP Bobby Prentice. 

Very sad to hear that,wonderful ball player great attacking ability.Rip Bobby.

Not sure if I saw him play or not as first game was in 1979. His name got chanted in many a pub over the years such was the high esteem he was held in. RIP Bobby. 

I used to go to.matches with Rabs brother when we were at high school, it was great seeing a local guy from Mayfield make it at the team I supported and even better knowing him, obviously he was a hero of mine growing up and it was sad news hearing this earlier today.

RIP Rab, another Hearts man taken too early.

14 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Not sure if I saw him play or not as first game was in 1979. His name got chanted in many a pub over the years such was the high esteem he was held in. RIP Bobby. 

According to London Hearts. His final appearance was in a 4-0 defeat at Ibrox on 28/4/79.

Do you remember the details of your first game. Opposition,result etc?

EDIT: it looks like he was an unused sub in that game. His last appearance seems to be a 3-0 defeat by Celtic at Tynecastle on 18/4/79.

Edited by iantjambo

One of my favourites in the 70’s, when we were quite often dire, he could light up Tyne with one of his mazy runs. Privileged to say I seen him play. R.I.P. Bobby.

Sad news, will never forget the run he had against Dundee deserved a goal at the end of it.

6 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

He was a smashin entertaining player.Lit up many a Saturday .Sad news.

RIP Bobby

avhudtheteeshirt

RIP Bobby. Oh to have his likes today at Hearts, in the faces of the opposition, direct and not needing 20 passes to get to the other teams penalty box!

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Oh no!

One of my very favourites as a wee boy.

This is terribly sad news.

RIP Wing wizard.

"Oh no" was my first thought when I opened the thread, Morg. Bobby signed for Hearts when I was five and was my idol as a wee boy in the '70's. Never cried for a departed player but feeling this more than any before.

God bless, Rab.

RIP

Edited by martoon

Remember my dad coming back from the derby at ER in 1976 in which Bobby equalized late on. His delight says much for our derby record in those days but it prevented another defeat when they were commonplace at the time. 

Very sad news indeed.

RIP Bobby .

Was one of the few bright sparks in a pretty poor Hearts Team in the 70's.

Great to watch. Could be frustrating but hugely talented.

That run against Dundee will be in my memory till my dying day.

Alex MacDonald

Terrible news, an incredible talent who scored so many stunning solo goals for Hearts, and one gem for Scotland U23’s. We’ll never see his like again. Rest in peace Bobby, and thanks for so many priceless memories.

So sorry to hear this, One of the most exciting players I ever saw at Tynecastle. I have never seen anyone with such quick feet and skill on the ball. As I recall he joined us in the following close season after Andy Lynch left for Celtic around Christmas. Word was that he was part of the deal.

To be honest he didn't quite fulfil his potential because players who liked the ball at their feet and to beat a man were quickly targets by the Neanderthal tendency.

To his family: thanks to him for the memory. 

6 minutes ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Terrible news, an incredible talent who scored so many stunning solo goals for Hearts, and one gem for Scotland U23’s. We’ll never see his like again. Rest in peace Bobby, and thanks for so many priceless memories.

Is that the one in the under 23 international at Tynecastle when he waltzed round players on the bye line coming in from the left wing.

What an incredible piece of skill it was and I still remember it to this day.