Can Keena get the goals.

grumpyespana

Its time for young Keena to step up to the plate and get us goals but knowing Leveins mind set he will play McLean & Ikpeazu against Hibs.

I'd rather we kept playing McLean and didn't ruin another youngster until a new manager is in place.

I like Keena, think he has a future so let's protect him.

I think we need uche against hibs as it will be a battle. I’d take my granny playing over Maclean though. 

I can see us going uche with moshino playing just off him. 

Edited by Russ1977

2 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

I think we need uche against hibs as it will be a battle. I’d take my granny playing over Maclean though. 

I can see this as well. Uche for the battle and meshino to hopefully provide something different and special. He’s the kind of player that seems like he could do something out of nothing. The one thing we do need to do is play three centre mids!

2 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

I can see this as well. Uche for the battle and meshino to hopefully provide something different and special. He’s the kind of player that seems like he could do something out of nothing. The one thing we do need to do is play three centre mids!

I agree 100% with you but we all know what Levein is like. 

6 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Yeah, the hibs manager was talking about abandoning his teams 'passing style' for players that are ready for a battle, to slog out some results.

This game is gonna be tense,  and grim. Hopefully we have a new manager 'bounce' and actually win a game for a change..

And Keena ahead of MacLean every day of the wk, the kid shoots on sight every chance he gets 

1 minute ago, grumpyespana said:

I agree 100% with you but we all know what Levein is like. 

Hopefully levein isn’t the one making the decisions by the time Sunday comes around. 

19 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

Its time for young Keena to step up to the plate and get us goals but knowing Leveins mind set he will play McLean & Ikpeazu against Hibs.

He would certainly be worth a try however it is a shame that he should be thrown in for such an important game which puts added pressure on him.

Who knows what permutation Levein will come up with. He just makes it up as he goes along. Maybe he should start Berra  alongside Uche then he could have two battering rams up front to lump the ball to.

2 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Hopefully levein isn’t the one making the decisions by the time Sunday comes around. 

He will be unfortuantely. This is his final get out of jail card and knowing his luck it will probably work for him.

A win will get both him and Budge off the hook until the next inept performance and defeat.

been here before
20 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

If Naismith is missing next week, then Keena needs to start.  MacLean would be a good option for the last 20.

If?

Surely you mean when?

Or I suppose when Naismith goes off injured

Edited by been here before

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I wouldn't have thought so. Been enough straw clutching to be honest. Smith and Naismith back on Sunday, undoubtedly 2 huge players for us, but you wonder how much damage has been done around them, to provide the necessary lift.

Meshino, has to be playing, you cant leave that quality kicking its heels, whilst MacLean, Keena or Ikpeazu lump around

Mclean works well when he has naismith supporting him. Without him hes toilet. Levein thinks he some sort of master tactition with his constant tinkering pick a strike pair and stick with them. He infuriates me. 

Is this how poor we have become, talking up Keena!!! Jeez.

And does anyone really think Naismith will play and last a full 90 minutes on Sunday? A 4 year contract and we'll be lucky to get 20 games out of him this season.

I think we can probably be sure that Souttar, Smith and Naismith will all play a part in the game on Sunday as this is hopefully Levein's last throw of the dice.

He will be pulling out all the stops to try and get the win not so much for the club but more to save himself and his super sized ego.

I wonder if he will be coming out with any smart comments this week such as Natural Order? Somehow I think not.

1 minute ago, gnasher75 said:

Keena with Meshino behind and Mulraney and Morrison on the wings.

I think Morrison could be a good shout for sunday as Mulraney seems to have a hamstring injury.

Just now, Archie White said:

Is this how poor we have become, talking up Keena!!! Jeez.

And does anyone really think Naismith will play and last a full 90 minutes on Sunday? A 4 year contract and we'll be lucky to get 20 games out of him this season.

He wont last 90 minutes but Levein is desperate so will want him on the park for some of the game.

Uche scored against Motherwell in his first start for a while. Looked like he needed games but he created chances for Clare etc as well.

People seem to be using him as a scapegoat these days but it wasn't long ago he was being touted for a bigger move elsewhere. 

I still see the same powerhouse as before and I am still seeing his name on the scoresheet. So as far as I'm concerned he has to start against hibs.

2 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Uche scored against Motherwell in his first start for a while. Looked like he needed games but he created chances for Clare etc as well.

People seem to be using him as a scapegoat these days but it wasn't long ago he was being touted for a bigger move elsewhere. 

I still see the same powerhouse as before and I am still seeing his name on the scoresheet. So as far as I'm concerned he has to start against hibs.

Agreed. With The Crock beside him till he goes off injured.

What will probably happen is that Keena will get one game, play reasonably well, and then not feature until January when he will be loaned out to some other team.

He was remember given a starting place in the cup semi final but didn't even make the squad for the final.

I give you Connor Smith and Anthony  McDonald as two examples of the strange way our younger players are being used just now.

We pitch Smith into a derby game where he acquits himself pretty well plays in 3 more games and then he disappears and is eventually loaned to Cowdenbeath.  Anthony McDonald goes on loan to Inverness, comes back at the start of the season and appears in the League Cup and is far from our worst player. He then disappears and is loaned out again this time to Dunfermline along with Harry Cochrane.

Now, I do not know what the long term goals are for all these youngsters  or how the club views them but I do find their treatment to be a bit baffling.

Strange times.

34 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

If Naismith is missing next week, then Keena needs to start.  MacLean would be a good option for the last 20.

Levein says he will be fit for next week. 

That feeling of Deja Vu is there once again. 😏

1 minute ago, corryjambo said:

What will probably happen is that Keena will get one game, play reasonably well, and then not feature until January when he will be loaned out to some other team.

He was remember given a starting place in the cup semi final but didn't even make the squad for the final.

I give you Connor Smith and Anthony  McDonald as two examples of the strange way our younger players are being used just now.

We pitch Smith into a derby game where he acquits himself pretty well plays in 3 more games and then he disappears and is eventually loaned to Cowdenbeath.  Anthony McDonald goes on loan to Inverness, comes back at the start of the season and appears in the League Cup and is far from our worst player. He then disappears and is loaned out again this time to Dunfermline along with Harry Cochrane.

Now, I do not know what the long term goals are for all these youngsters  or how the club views them but I do find their treatment to be a bit baffling.

Strange times.

The kids are talented but I still think they need a couple of years more. They aren't hardened enough to handle a full campaign at the level we expect of them and they lack the experience to deal with the pressure put on them at such a young age. 

It's easy pointing to Celtic and saying they use kids at around 17-18 at times but they have grown up around those older players who have won trophies and titles their who careers. They are pretty much born into it. 

We don't have that culture at our club because we aren't that successful.

I think it’s hilarious that Maclean is kept around to help “bring the young guys on”, yet whenever a first choose forward is out, Maclean comes in. He’s a roadblock and hindrance to the young guys. 

26 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

No point throwing him into a team that doesn't create chances.

The folks that watch him at reserve level will have more of any idea but I didn't think the ball 'sticks' with him too well on the odd occassion I've seen him.  Does seem more of chance taker or shoot on sight.

(Edit - although he id pretty well in the semi final)

Unfortunately the way we are playing just now, it would be so unfair to put him into the environment.

Comes on against East Fife, takes a shot from 30 yards that goes well oner the bar and he was boo-ed.

Edited by DETTY29

3 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

Strange times.

Absolutely spot on. 

To shove Smith right into a Derby at Easter Road where he done really well to sending him to Cowdenbeath on loan makes no sense. 

Still think Levein makes team selections to try and shock and surprise people. 

Really starting to worry about his mental health tbh. 

He seems so deluded at times especially his interviews. 

2 minutes ago, BlingCrosby said:

I think it’s hilarious that Maclean is kept around to help “bring the young guys on”, yet whenever a first choose forward is out, Maclean comes in. He’s a roadblock and hindrance to the young guys. 

Plus to me he looks disinterested when he is on the park. 

I actually don't think goals will be a problem. That's not why we are losing in my opinion. Only 4 teams in the league have scored more than us, and that's with naismith out and Meshino only just joining the side. 

The reason we are so awful is our defence. Only 2 teams have conceded more than us. So if we're the 5th top scorers but the 10th best defence, it would seem that's where the problem is. Scoring 2 goals against Motherwell, Hamilton, Aberdeen should be enough to get results but it hasn't been due to our awful defending. 

42 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I wouldn't have thought so. Been enough straw clutching to be honest. Smith and Naismith back on Sunday, undoubtedly 2 huge players for us, but you wonder how much damage has been done around them, to provide the necessary lift.

Meshino, has to be playing, you cant leave that quality kicking its heels, whilst MacLean, Keena or Ikpeazu lump around

You would think so. Our manager clearly doesn’t. 

40 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Keena has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he’s good enough to play for Hearts, nevermind start a derby match.

Difficult to judge the guy given the number of chances he has been given compared to some of the others.

48 minutes ago, Bauld said:

The kids are talented but I still think they need a couple of years more. They aren't hardened enough to handle a full campaign at the level we expect of them and they lack the experience to deal with the pressure put on them at such a young age. 

It's easy pointing to Celtic and saying they use kids at around 17-18 at times but they have grown up around those older players who have won trophies and titles their who careers. They are pretty much born into it. 

We don't have that culture at our club because we aren't that successful.

I agree with a lot that you are saying Bauld, however it is strange that the youngest of them all in Hickey is playing week in week out when I believe he could do with a break. The fact we don't have another fit left back might have something to do with that.

I agree that they are all probably not hardened enough for a full campaign but to play and then ignore and send on loan seems a bit strange to me.

Surely Keena had to be an option on Saturday to start in front of McLean who offers next to nothing in his current role. Apart from one lay off to Clare he did virtually nothing in the time he was on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Difficult to judge the guy given the number of chances he has been given compared to some of the others.

He’s had chances and done sweet f-all. Looks good in lower leagues and reserves, nothing in the first team, barely manages to get a kick. I’d happily see him get chances off the bench but I certainly wouldn’t start him in a Derby match.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

He will be unfortuantely. This is his final get out of jail card and knowing his luck it will probably work for him.

A win will get both him and Budge off the hook until the next inept performance and defeat.

Till the following Wednesday then!

49 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Keena has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he’s good enough to play for Hearts, nevermind start a derby match.

Neither have at least three of the starting eleven on Saturday who have had several more chances that Keena.

29 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Agreed, guy written off at 20 years old after about 3 or 4 starts for the first team. Unbelievable.

been here before
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Levein says he will be fit for next week. 

That feeling of Deja Vu is there once again. 😏

Fit until training on Thursday or Friday or getting out the coach at ER. Or until he feels a wee twinge putting his socks on or he feels a tightening during the warm up or he takes a knock after 10 minutes he cant run off then subbed after 20 mins.

Then its another 4 weeks before we go through the same routine again.

4 years!!

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

So, would you prefer Hibs to win?

We'll beat hibs.

Doyle

Smith

Halkett

Berra

Hickey

Damour

Whelan

Meshino

Naismith

Mulraney

Uche

Or maybe

Same back 5

Damour

Whelan

Irving

Meshino

Naismith (as striker)

Mulrany

If Naismith isnt fit, we should phone in a bomb threat, organise a mass rain dance, or lobby the SFA to install summer football immediate effect, with a break from now until next March.

And on topic, Keena needs chances, he's first reserve to the above. He has to be ahead of MacLean. I like him.

Edited by TheBigO

It's not scoring goals we have a problem with. 

It's a Centre half and Captain who is finished. Gone, knackers yard. 

When he's replaced the difference will be quite startling.

1 minute ago, MTS1874 said:

He's a confident lad and looks like a natural goalscorer which probably rules him out of Levein's starting line up.

I like what I have seen of him, it's strange that Henderson appears to have leap-frogged him recently and I'm guessing that if Henderson had been fit on Saturday he would have been on the bench or even a starter.

It kind of looks as if CL always has an agenda for or against certain players and I think that's been a problem for a long time now.

No disrespect to Henderson by the way, he looks as if he's got a chance too. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Keena has the potential to score goals but he won't get many chances in a side that plays it slowly side to side and then punts it forward. Any decent manager would give him more chances by pressing higher and linking the play better around the box not just hoping a big striker can bring the ball down and lay it off properly to a second striker like Keena.