Scottish football commentators

William H. Bonney

William H. Bonney

Listening to Kheredine Idessane commentating on sportscene made me realise how bereft we are of quality commentators. 

I grew up listening to Archie McPherson, Alastair Alexander, jock brown and David begg. 

David begg for me was the best. He had a voice made for commentary. 

16 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Listening to Kheredine Idessane commentating on sportscene made me realise how bereft we are of quality commentators. 

I grew up listening to Archie McPherson, Alastair Alexander, jock brown and David begg. 

You had to google Kheredine Idessane on how to spell his name didn’t you? No danger you knew how to spell it!!😂

Crampsey , Begg , Montford and McPherson were all real characters and the art of being able to suck you in to the game was easy for them. Of the commentators nowadays i like Derek Rae but very few others.

Alex MacDonald

Derek Rae, David Begg and Alistair Alexander are the best we’ve had.

Archie McPherson’s legendary status is a joke. Knew nothing about sides outwith the OF, and Aberdeen in the 80’s, and when foreign players began to arrive in the 90’s, couldn’t pronounce any of their names, which for a teacher was amateurish. 

Paul “suddenly it is a rout” Mitchell is my favourite. No sure my quote is completely accurate but that 2012 commentary is legendary. 🇱🇻 

Unreal that the BBC promoted that squeaky voiced Celtic loving sheep shagger Liam McLeod to the top job on Sportsound. Never listened to a full match commentary for years. Him and Pat Bonner...🤮

Edited by Shaggy2

5 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Paul “suddenly it is a rout” Mitchell is my favourite.

Unreal that the BBC promoted that squeaky voiced Celtic loving sheep shagger Liam McLeod to the top job on Sportsound. Never listened to a full match commentary for years. Him and Pat Bonner...🤮

Begg and Alexander were the best for me, I thought it was Liam McLeod that said “suddenly it’s a rout” 🤔

Edited by gordiegords
Spelling

William H. Bonney
8 hours ago, goldie83 said:

You had to google Kheredine Idessane on how to spell his name didn’t you? No danger you knew how to spell it!!😂

Copy and paste mate. 😉

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I loved the guy who did our radio commentary against Cowdenbeath, old school but so much better than the modern style

9 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Were they not all Huns? Archie certainly was although like most he tried to pretend he wasn't.

William H. Bonney
25 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Were they not all Huns? Archie certainly was although like most he tried to pretend he wasn't.

David begg had a soft spot for Aberdeen, but was more of a golfer than a football fan. 

41 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

David begg had a soft spot for Aberdeen, but was more of a golfer than a football fan. 

I think the others were all closet Huns though although like Chic Dung claim to support other teams like St Mirren and Airdrie.