Does anyone still want Levein in charge?

TurboT

I wasn’t at the game today as I had another engagement, however, from reading KickBack I can’t see anyone supporting Levein anymore.

Is there anyone left that thinks he should be given more time?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1874robbo

• sadj

• Prof

• Cruyff Turn

Top Posters In This Topic

Kickback is not a great gauge of rational and logical Hearts fans.

But the answer is No.

Online or Offline, Nobody does.

(although I did listen to 5Live tonight where a Man City fan wanted ‘Pep Out’ so I may be wrong........)

alwaysthereinspirit

I’ve backed him 100%. Today was tough to watch. Is Brandon really better than Dikamona? Was Washington injured?

I’m now in the time for change camp.

I hoped his half time ripping of @$$holes would have changed things. It continued the same.

Berra is not the player he was. He looked lost today. 

Not sure who we’ll go for and that scares me.

I don’t think anyone wants him at the club anymore. Even his staunchest defenders on here have either gone quiet or have turned on him. 

I've backed him for a very long time, and fully supported his running of the team. 

I'm 100% done now. 

The results are a joke.  The tactics are a joke.  We are nowhere near as bad as we are being made out to be.  We have a very good team, and something is going horrendously wrong. That is entirely on the management. 

We need a fresh start. 

7 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I’ve backed him 100%. Today was tough to watch. Is Brandon really better than Dikamona? Was Washington injured?

I hoped his half time ripping of @$$holes would have changed things. It continued the same.

I agree with all of that,but Berra has looked lost all season.

7 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I've backed him for a very long time, and fully supported his running of the team. 

I'm 100% done now. 

The results are a joke.  The tactics are a joke.  We are nowhere near as bad as we are being made out to be.  We have a very good team, and something is going horrendously wrong. That is entirely on the management. 

We need a fresh start. 

Almost exactly my thoughts. He has to go and go quickly.

35 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

That for me is one of the key things. No doubt the players are publicly supporting Craig and I realise some folk think that the injury has set Berra back a bit 

but to say he has lost it ? Doesn’t make any sense. Would Berra get back to what he was before under someone else (all be it with a loss of pace) I genuinely think so 

its not just him. I keep looking at that squad and it’s good, it’s very good. Getting someone new in won’t just improve the playing side but build confidence back in the team. There is no reason to start again with player recruitment barring maybe a few additions in key areas 

the players are good for it, it’s the manager and date I say it, coaches who are the problem. Absolutely no question in my mind 

I really applaud those who have been consistent from day dot in either their defence or condemnation of Craig. It’s not about being right or wrong. It’s about looking at the big picture and either changing things or staying status quo. I haven’t been consistent through leveins time and there have been times I have thought yes, he will come good and other times where I have thought no he won’t. I just don’t see it anymore, don’t feel it and as much as I fully respect all of the players for publicly backing Craig any right minded individual would do the same. I sense that although they are publicly backing him they are bewildered when it comes to playing and there is a real fear amongst the team when they take to the field 

that’s Craig and coaches job to make sure that doesn’t happen and regardless of the next few weeks, even if we win, I still want him gone as long term we won’t realise our club potential with him leading the club. Don’t like being negative but how much more time do you give before you say enough is enough 

2 x 6th place successive finishes, now bottom of the league and winless in god knows how many . Not good enough for a club of our stature and our size of fan base. CL got rid of GL when he arrived, was that to make us a better side .. I don’t know but something is deeply wrong from the medical side right through to the coaching 

AB is the only one who can get us off the slippery slope now and she needs to do it quickly as she has procrastinated long enough with not doing anything 

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Ann Budge 

And Heckingbottom, I bet they sit together in the Lioness of Leith and laugh about it..

I think we all need change now, I had hoped that Levein could takes us somewhere but it has lost steam completely and panic is high while confidence is low.

I am still very happy with the work Anne has done on the business side but there needs to be a shake up on the pitch.

Jambof3tornado
6 hours ago, obua said:

I agree with all of that,but Berra has looked lost all season.

Berra has been lost since his injury.

I did notice yesterday that Berra had a simple clearance but positioned himself awkwardly to get his wrong leg to the ball. 

Never seen him get caught out of position as much as we have in recent times.

7 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

Want him gone, but if our options are Hartley, McCann, Daly and all those types, then I’d rather he stayed. 

Interesting to hear how any of those guys could do worse_

Edited by GinRummy

As someone who loved him as a player, watched him transform the attitude of the team as manager first time around and admired the role he played in helping to rebuild our club from near death, it is very sad to watch some of the vitriol aimed at him. However he appears to have completely run out of ideas and the team simply don't look like winning or playing consistently good football. He needs to step down as manager immediately and let someone with fresh ideas take over. Over the past 30+ years he has been great for Hearts but his time surely has to be up. 

I am assuming he will be gone by the start of the week. To not assume that is madness considering the run of form and the state we are in.

Not one hearts fan would be disappointed by that decision. Do the right thing Levein/Budge.

Another who has given him more time than most but have seen enough. We're actually getting worse with better players. Team selection and substitutions all wrong and he just doesn't look or sound right anymore. Seems to have lost his passion for it. It's a results game and the results and performances have been dreadfull for months. Should have stood down after a rare spirited performance in the cup final. Would have at least taken some goodwill with him. Think that has gone now. Fans arguing amongst themselves on the terracing, protests outside, bottom of the league on merit. 2 points from 5 games. No wins in 3 home games v Ross County, Hamilton and Motherwell. Not scoring and can't defend.

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck. There's no avoiding the fact that the team has no motivation or organisation. How long ago does the Livingstone débacle seem now and the writing was on the wall then, we've never recovered from that imo.

21 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Another who has given him more time than most but have seen enough. We're actually getting worse with better players. Team selection and substitutions all wrong and he just doesn't look or sound right anymore. Seems to have lost his passion for it. It's a results game and the results and performances have been dreadfull for months. Should have stood down after a rare spirited performance in the cup final. Would have at least taken some goodwill with him. Think that has gone now. Fans arguing amongst themselves on the terracing, protests outside, bottom of the league on merit. 2 points from 5 games. No wins in 3 home games v Ross County, Hamilton and Motherwell. Not scoring and can't defend.

This.

The main thing that worries me is that I just can't see AB doing anything in the near future. Only a couple of weeks ago she issued a statement saying CL was doing a "great job" - how does she come to that conclusion? Does she mean off the park business things like the Academy etc because it is clearly not on the park. Every week now BBC are publishing our performance in the last 10 league games - and it isn't a pretty sight!

I hate to say it, because I want wholesale management changes and have done since the Cup Final, he isn't going anywhere for a while. He will probably be given until the winter break and because his managers contract ends in the summer (I think) he will probably just see his time out. Then Macphee will be our new number one with JD as his Assistant and the whole process will repeat itself and so on and so forth.

This is my biggest worry and I pray to God I am wrong. 

Liked him as a player and very good times first spell.

But now he's done. I've said earlier in posts genuinely his health as much as the good of the club. With a history of heart problems this situation can't be good for his ticker. As much as I want Craig Levein the manager gone I've no wish for him to end up laid up in a hospital bed again. 

That's why the decision needs to be taken by the powers that be to remove him. Failing at his job, wants to stay but sorry it's not an option. For everyone involved sake Craig must go 

I don’t think there can be anyone that thinks he should stay on as mgr.

But it I think the board and he also know that, I suspect the reason for a delay in him leaving as manager is his dual role.

I have heard that he offered to step down a few weeks ago but his resignation was turned down as the board wanted time to consider the mgr role and DoF role and any role for CL going forward. 

His performance as DoF, has on the whole been very good (Cathro aside), his work on the youth set up and academy in general,

scouting etc. But the problem Hearts created for ourselves was giving him the manager job. We could have had him failing as DoF but performing as mgr and that would have also been an issue, albeit one that would not have been so immediately noticeable from the outside.

We now face losing him as both the manager and DoF, because of his performances as manager. And it is that issue that means he is still in the mgr role for now.

1. Loses both jobs. Okay, who is on the mgr short list and who is on the DoF short list?  Do we need to identify and appoint the DoF first before the first team mgr? What happens if you do it the other way round and the mgr doesn’t get on with the new DoF?

2. Move CL back to just DoF? Okay, who is on the mgr shortlist? And who on that list would work with CL as DoF? Is there a preferred candidate that wouldn’t work with him as DoF and if so do you move to the next candidate or get rid of CL from the DoF role. But do you now need to appt a new DoF before you hire that mgr etc.

As much as many hearts fans think it is straight forward, the only straight forward bit is CL no longer being manager. But that decision has already been made, it’s what happens next that is holding back the announcement and action of him stepping down as mgr. 

Me, i’d keep him as DoF and approach Robbo. His record has Hearts mgr and as a mgr in general has never been given the credit it deserves. 

I have no real problem with those that chose to protest yesterday. (Other than the idiots that tried to get into the building. I’d have let them all in and then banned them all.)

But will i protest about CL absolutely not, I think the decision has been made by him  anyway, he is a club legend, one of the best players to ever wear the shirt and unfortunately rather than being allowed to step down weeks ago he is having to take the protests on the chin while the club works out what happens next in terms of the bigger picture. Ultimately taking one for the club in the short term.

Sorry but this stuff about CL being a club legend is nonsense. So was Robbo but he was quickly binned. Hearts have a bad history of sticking with managers who clearly can’t cut it.

yesterdays interviews by CL, show he is uttered detached from reality.

Edited by Prof

3 minutes ago, Prof said:

Sorry but this stuff about CL being a club legend is nonsense. So was Robbo but he was quickly binned. Hearts have a bad history of sticking with managers who clearly can’t cut it.

It’s not nonsense that he is a club legend. I don’t think that should even be up of debate.

I think any club legend at any club is afforded some leeway vs others but does it mean he should stay on as a mgr, no. 

I thought he should be given a few games at the start of the season. The results haven’t improved and as such I think he needs to go.  

I am not sure Budge has the stomach to do the right thing.  This is a big test for her.

Edited by McCrae

After The Watershed
5 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

But it I think the board and he also know that, I suspect the reason for a delay in him leaving as manager is his dual role.

I have heard that he offered to step down a few weeks ago but his resignation was turned down as the board wanted time to consider the mgr role and DoF role and any role for CL going forward. 

His performance as DoF, has on the whole been very good (Cathro aside), his work on the youth set up and academy in general,

scouting etc. But the problem Hearts created for ourselves was giving him the manager job. We could have had him failing as DoF but performing as mgr and that would have also been an issue, albeit one that would not have been so immediately noticeable from the outside.

We now face losing him as both the manager and DoF, because of his performances as manager. And it is that issue that means he is still in the mgr role for now.

1. Loses both jobs. Okay, who is on the mgr short list and who is on the DoF short list?  Do we need to identify and appoint the DoF first before the first team mgr? What happens if you do it the other way round and the mgr doesn’t get on with the new DoF?

2. Move CL back to just DoF? Okay, who is on the mgr shortlist? And who on that list would work with CL as DoF? Is there a preferred candidate that wouldn’t work with him as DoF and if so do you move to the next candidate or get rid of CL from the DoF role. But do you now need to appt a new DoF before you hire that mgr etc.

As much as many hearts fans think it is straight forward, the only straight forward bit is CL no longer being manager. But that decision has already been made, it’s what happens next that is holding back the announcement and action of him stepping down as mgr. 

Me, i’d keep him as DoF and approach Robbo. His record has Hearts mgr and as a mgr in general has never been given the credit it deserves. 

I have no real problem with those that chose to protest yesterday. (Other than the idiots that tried to get into the building. I’d have let them all in and then banned them all.)

But will i protest about CL absolutely not, I think the decision has been made by him  anyway, he is a club legend, one of the best players to ever wear the shirt and unfortunately rather than being allowed to step down weeks ago he is having to take the protests on the chin while the club works out what happens next in terms of the bigger picture. Ultimately taking one for the club in the short term.

I don't think it is as complicated as it should be. Roger Arnott runs the academy and Murray is chief scout. Levein has to go completely, we get a manager and see how they feel about a director of football. We then get someone that they can work with or change the role so it doesn't restrict the new manager but takes on other responsibilities they don't want to have.

The only problem I can see is getting Levein to leave without costing us a fortune in the process. Suppose it'll show how much a fan he is. 

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Ann will no doubt think he is a derby win away from salvation but if we lose that one then he is definately a busted flush.

Not really - our recent record at ER is poor. A defeat would not be surprising even with a full squad. It should be the games and results against the St Mirren's and Ross Countys that increase the pressure and lead to action

On reflection, I want him to stay. Injuries are really hampering us. Once we beat hibs we’ll be back up and running.

If we get beat of Hibs then i’ll Need to have another think.

1 minute ago, JamboSpur said:

On reflection, I want him to stay. Injuries are really hampering us. Once we beat hibs we’ll be back up and running.

I think that injury situation will lead Budge's thoughts, rightly or wrongly, to mean the status quo remains.

Naismith, Walker, Souttar, Haring, the goalkeeping situation, Berra's decline - she'll see all that and give Levein the benefit of the doubt

2 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

Seems fair. Should be judged on the Hibs game solely and the 10 months of absolute shit we’ve had to put up with will just be ignored.

I backed CL for long enough but hoped he would go was after the cup final. When that didn't happen I thought that we should at least back him into the new season which I did as far as the Hamilton game when enough was enough. I wasn't there yesterday and didn't know much more than the score until this morning but it seems that even after CL's promises last week 'to fix it' it just got worse yesterday so he's had enough support from me, now it's time for somebody new but having said that I've no idea who 

annushorribilis III
24 minutes ago, Prof said:

In the context of the current dismal showing , yes. Lots of folks seem blinded by what he did as a player 30 years ago while forgetting he simply walked out on the club when it suited him. CL has  been ruthless when it suited him and apparently not when it didn't suit him (his backing of Cathro). Nostalgia aside, he's been in charge for 2 years and his time is up. 

9 minutes ago, The Crack Fox said:

I don't think it is as complicated as it should be. Roger Arnott runs the academy and Murray is chief scout. Levein has to go completely, we get a manager and see how they feel about a director of football. We then get someone that they can work with or change the role so it doesn't restrict the new manager but takes on other responsibilities they don't want to have.

The only problem I can see is getting Levein to leave without costing us a fortune in the process. Suppose it'll show how much a fan he is. 

But can you or should you have the mgr deciding on the DoF? I think it has to be the other way round. Or at least separate, the mgr should not be interfering with a DoF appt. 

14 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I think that injury situation will lead Budge's thoughts, rightly or wrongly, to mean the status quo remains.

Naismith, Walker, Souttar, Haring, the goalkeeping situation, Berra's decline - she'll see all that and give Levein the benefit of the doubt

The problem with that theory is that there is no guarantee that we’ll ever have all of our players available at one time. We need a manager who can work well with what’s available to him.

8 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

In the context of the current dismal showing , yes. Lots of folks seem blinded by what he did as a player 30 years ago while forgetting he simply walked out on the club when it suited him. CL has  been ruthless when it suited him and apparently not when it didn't suit him (his backing of Cathro). Nostalgia aside, he's been in charge for 2 years and his time is up. 

But we’re not disagreeing that he needs to go and as I said I think he knows that and has in fact tried to step down already.

And he didn’t walk out he left to join another club after compensation was agreed and there was a change in ownership underway.  

43 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Good post in the main 👍🏻 Bits i dont agree with but the jist makes a lot of sense to me

28 minutes ago, The Crack Fox said:

So dont give Levein too much control but lets sack him and give a manager too much control including our structure. The set up of DoF works all over the continent why should we go backwards to a system that doesn’t have one. Most managers nowadays will work under a DoF as its how football has evolved and it also allows the club to have a direction and stick to it.

4 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

But we’re not disagreeing that he needs to go and as I said I think he knows that and has in fact tried to step down already.

And he didn’t walk out he left to join another club after compensation was agreed and there was a change in ownership underway.  

How do you know he has tried to step down????

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Good post in the main 👍🏻 Bits i dont agree with but the jist makes a lot of sense to me

So dont give Levein too much control but lets sack him and give a manager too much control including our structure. The set up of DoF works all over the continent why should we go backwards to a system that doesn’t have one. Most managers nowadays will work under a DoF as its how football has evolved and it also allows the club to have a direction and stick to it.

And that’s some direction Levein has us going in! 😏

letsalldothebeattie

I’d be amazed if anyone in and around Tynecastle yesterday in terms of the support want him to stay. Budge & Levein himself want him to stay but surely none of the support do

Craig is a Hearts man and a legend. In his own mind I think he just really wants to try and fix it but he’s out of games and time, unfortunately.

Even folk that have given him a fair crack this season with new players have seen enough now. It’s over. For the good of the club and himself, he needs to move away from the dugout. 

The players have let him down a bit. A lot of the goals we have conceded this season have been amateurish. 

Quite happy for him to stay as DoF. The DoF does not have influence over the first team manager as some are clearly trying to suggest to suit their own means. Any new manager will be allowed to pick & sign his own players, train and set up his own team. I think the majority of managers would be either used to having a DoF or are fine having one.

For me and the more I think about it, Stephen Robinson’s the man we should go and get. He could do wonders with this squad and he plays young guys as well. 

8 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

And that’s some direction Levein has us going in! 😏

Besides the first team everything is going in a good direction. Im sure any new DoF would tweak it but the strategy would remain broadly similar. So take yer smartarse comments elsewhere.  

39 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Add Connor Washington to that injury list, and the Man U goalie.

After The Watershed
17 minutes ago, sadj said:

That's not what I said though is it. Roger Arnott runs the academy, Murray is chief scout, get someone else in to run other functions that would leave the manager to manage the side and decide on the players they want. 

Lots of other clubs do it this way. It's not rocket science

8 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Craig is a Hearts man and a legend. In his own mind I think he just really wants to try and fix it but he’s out of games and time, unfortunately.

Even folk that have given him a fair crack this season with new players have seen enough now. It’s over. For the good of the club and himself, he needs to move away from the dugout. 

The players have let him down a bit. A lot of the goals we have conceded this season have been amateurish. 

Quite happy for him to stay as DoF. The DoF does not have influence over the first team manager as some are clearly trying to suggest to suit their own means. Any new manager will be allowed to pick & sign his own players, train and set up his own team. I think the majority of managers would be either used to having a DoF or are fine having one.

For me and the more I think about it, Stephen Robinson’s the man we should go and get. He could do wonders with this squad and he plays young guys as well. 

This is where I’m at, some people will not be happy but I think he still has a big role to play at the club, just not involved in first team affairs. He seems to have decent contacts and able to attract players to our club and is a director of our club. The coaching side could do with a clean sweep though.