Iconic pictures through the years

iantjambo

28 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Not a single fatty in the photie!

A contemporary snap would look very different. Where did we go wrong?

Well... Rations would do that. 

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Cade

• luckyBatistuta

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3fingersreid
13 hours ago, John Findlay said:

We transferred a lot of those injured Welsh guardsman and sailors from the Intrepid to the hospital ship Uganda.

Only time I really got angry during the Falkland's war.

If I remember correctly , the Scots Guards got off the Sir Galahad despite being told not to ,whereas the Welsh Guards stayed on board.

It was certainly an avoidable tragedy.

On 27/09/2019 at 14:23, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Fair enough. I think of it as pay back for Hillsborough, South African policy, the miners strike. Like I say, zero sympathy. 

Nobody deserves to be killed or injured by terrorists. That is a sick comment.

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Work and walking instead of driving was also a big help. No computers, lots of lifting and carrying, married women walking down the street for the groceries every day. Housewives scrubbing, hanging out clothes, on their knees polishing floors.  Part time jobs for many housewives and of course during the war as you say rationing.

20 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Work and walking instead of driving was also a big help. No computers, lots of lifting and carrying, married women walking down the street for the groceries every day. Housewives scrubbing, hanging out clothes, on their knees polishing floors.  Part time jobs for many housewives and of course during the war as you say rationing.

Also, kids getting of their arses to go out and play.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

1 hour ago, superjack said:

Also, kids getting of their arses to go out and play.

Both of these^^

12 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Not a single fatty in the photie!

A contemporary snap would look very different. Where did we go wrong?

It's difficult to get fat on a diet that consisted of limited amounts of tatties, brussel sprouts, and tinned corned beef. 

18 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's difficult to get fat on a diet that consisted of limited amounts of tatties, brussel sprouts, and tinned corned beef. 

I could live on that. Throw in some cabby, mustard and broom sause. Yummie!

Bridge of Djoum
7 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

If I remember correctly , the Scots Guards got off the Sir Galahad despite being told not to ,whereas the Welsh Guards stayed on board.

It was certainly an avoidable tragedy.

Indeed.

My brother was a Marine and was on the Galahad when their commanding officer told them to get off the ship. They quickly did but the Welsh Guards opted to stay onboard. 

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, Crete said:

Nobody deserves to be killed or injured by terrorists. That is a sick comment.

He's just craving attention. Probably feels pretty stupid now but rather than admit it he'd rather just make it worse. 

1 hour ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Indeed.

My brother was a Marine and was on the Galahad when their commanding officer told them to get off the ship. They quickly did but the Welsh Guards opted to stay onboard. 

Why did they stay onboard?

10 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

From what I understand it was some mix up between the officer responsible for receiving ships and men and another party. There was some question if it was safe to land there because of the access to Argentine attack, and the decision was made to land which was the wrong one to make and the Guardsmen suffered for it. You  Tube has a couple of good documentaries on the whole thing.

3fingersreid
14 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Ordered to by the senior officers , just obeyed orders 

John Gentleman
21 hours ago, ri Alban said:

18 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’ll soon be coming back.

If this Asian swine flu keeps spreading, you might well be right. The quantity of pigs slaughtered in SE Asia adds up to a fair chunk of the world's protein. 

2 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

If this Asian swine flu keeps spreading, you might well be right. The quantity of pigs slaughtered in SE Asia adds up to a fair chunk of the world's protein. 

I suppose we'll have plenty of fish, quite soon.

22 hours ago, Boris said:

Can't remember if I've already posted this one

Related image

Where was that taken Boris? Looks like either Ailsa Craig or Bass Rock in the background but I take it it's on some Med beach somewhere?

52 minutes ago, JWL said:

Where was that taken Boris? Looks like either Ailsa Craig or Bass Rock in the background but I take it it's on some Med beach somewhere?

Dirleton! That’s the Bass Rock.

Ive got this blown up and framed in my living room.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Weeks_in_September

Edited by Boris

Maroon Sailor
On 03/10/2019 at 20:39, John Findlay said:

I stood on the Seacat deck of HMS Intrepid and watched this happen. HMS Antelope in San Carlos water. Uxb going off whilst attempt is being made to defuse it. One bomb expert dead the other lost an arm I believe.

My brother in law was on the Antelope then. He managed to get off but his mate died instantly when something onboard that wasn't secured for action properly (State 1) killed him when the bomb exploded.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
On 03/10/2019 at 20:57, John Findlay said:

We transferred a lot of those injured Welsh guardsman and sailors from the Intrepid to the hospital ship Uganda.

Only time I really got angry during the Falkland's war.

Massive mistake keeping the Welsh Guards onboard  the Sir Galahad at Fitzroy. Sir Tristram got hit as well.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Massive mistake keeping the Welsh Guards onboard  the Sir Galahad at Fitzroy. Sir Tristram got hit as well.

Simon Weston was onboard the Sir Galahad when it got hit.

As it neared the edge of the Solar system and close to the end of it's battery life, Voyager 1 was pointed back towards Earth to take one final picture.

Every human being that has ever lived is contained within that tiny blue dot in the middle of the highlighted circle

voyager pale blue dot.jpg

Many years later, the Cassini probe orbiting Saturn took a similar shot of it's home planet:

You are here (12july2013).jpg

Edited by Cade

9 hours ago, Cade said:

As it neared the edge of the Solar system and close to the end of it's battery life, Voyager 1 was pointed back towards Earth to take one final picture.

Every human being that has ever lived is contained within that tiny blue dot in the middle of the highlighted circle

Hey, my aunt is currently living in the Gliese 674 system! We don't all live here on Earth you know.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Heartbreaking 😢

I'm guessing at what that picture is but, if my guess is right, it is indeed heartbreaking.

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm guessing at what that picture is but, if my guess is right, it is indeed heartbreaking.

I assumed it was Dunblane, recognises the teacher.

19 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

14 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I assumed it was Dunblane, recognises the teacher.

It is indeed the picture of the Dunblane children and their teacher :(

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

It is indeed the picture of the Dunblane children and their teacher :(

Gut-wrenching beyond words.

Cory McNamara
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

A journalist called Reid Blackburn was killed in that car.

Tragic way to go. This was avoidable.