Levein Post Match Comments

wanderer

34 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He cuts a forlorn figure and looks a beaten man. I think he is shot to pieces mentally and is not thinking straight anymore.

Recent line ups have been a bit strange as has his match day management.

Needs to step down for the sake of everybody who has an affinity with this great club. He's not doing anybody any favours by stubbornly refusing to admit he's done.

Including himself & his family, as all of this stress must be taking a toll on his health.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• RudiHMFC

• amadjambo

• Boab

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He cuts a forlorn figure and looks a beaten man. I think he is shot to pieces mentally and is not thinking straight anymore.

Recent line ups have been a bit strange as has his match day management.

Needs to step down for the sake of everybody who has an affinity with this great club. He's not doing anybody any favours by stubbornly refusing to admit he's done.

Couldnt put it better. Well said

we were damn lucky to get the 2 draws as well. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

In every interview I've seen, he's put blame on his players but shouldered none of the responsibility himself. In the past, I've walked from a job where the bosses similarly lacked any integrity. 

He might think he's being tough; he's not. He's being cheap and snide. He's got a job he can't do and is too arrogant to accept that. 

17 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We have signed players who cant handle a 16k crowd who grumble now and again.

Don’t agree with that, sorry.

We have a team of players who are playing under a coach who probably knows it’s time up, can’t fix it and is too arrogant to admit it. 

You can see it in their play. They are trying but there is no confidence, no direction. This has to stop now. The players are not idiots. They know it has to stop.

45 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

In every interview I've seen, he's put blame on his players but shouldered none of the responsibility himself. In the past, I've walked from a job where the bosses similarly lacked any integrity. 

He might think he's being tough; he's not. He's being cheap and snide. He's got a job he can't do and is too arrogant to accept that. 

Nailed it. 

Needs to look himself in the mirror and realise this is not the job for him.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 14/09/2019 at 19:29, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Robbo? Bloody hell!

Yes. He would be a safer choice than a Heckingbottom gamble for me. A much better coach than given credit for. Had us playing good football in his brief period in charge, would be highly motivated, is good with young players, is popular within the game, gets on with Budge and knows what's required here, is younger than someone like Steve Clarke with more Scottish management experience. It's a no brainer for a 2 year contract depending on who else is available affordable and interested.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes. He would be a safer choice than a Heckingbottom gamble for me. A much better coach than given credit for. Had us playing good football in his brief period in charge, would be highly motivated, is good with young players, is popular within the game, gets on with Budge and knows what's required here, is younger than someone like Steve Clarke with more Scottish management experience. It's a no brainer for a 2 year contract depending on who else is available affordable and interested.

We need to get away from this notion of GUID HERTZ MAN, simple as that. Much as I love Robbo, his first period in charge was meh and he hasn't exactly set the heather on fire anywhere else.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We need to get away from this notion of GUID HERTZ MAN, simple as that. Much as I love Robbo, his first period in charge was meh and he hasn't exactly set the heather on fire anywhere else.

I'm not going to argue about it unless you come up with some realistic names to compare. We've had good success with guys who know the club - the evidence is in our history. Lots of clubs do. I'm not saying he should be first choice (mine would honestly be Neilson from the Hearts men) but I don't see a lot of better alternatives in the many realistic names posted all over the forum. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm not going to argue about it unless you come up with some realistic names to compare. We've had good success with guys who know the club - the evidence is in our history. Lots of clubs do. I'm not saying he should be first choice (mine would honestly be Neilson from the Hearts men) but I don't see a lot of better alternatives in the many realistic names posted all over the forum. 

Gary Rowett is my choice, as I've said umpteen times.

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

CL is done Clai.r at RB never seen him win a 50/50 ball, he's (CL) lost the plot

Guest ToqueJambo
42 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

First time I've heard the name. Decent clubs managed but how realistic is he given Stoke paid £2m from reading wikipedia? Can only imagine how much his salary expectations are based on that. Aside from that has any English football manager who hasn't played here ever come up here to manage a non OF club and done well? I can't think of any. English football folk tend to be very dismissive and ignorant Scottish football.

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

First time I've heard the name. Decent clubs managed but how realistic is he given Stoke paid £2m from reading wikipedia? Can only imagine how much his salary expectations are based on that. Aside from that has any English football manager who hasn't played here ever come up here to manage a non OF club and done well? I can't think of any. English football folk tend to be very dismissive and ignorant Scottish football.

Given the level Steve Clarke managed at, which was higher than Rowett, I'm happy to ask the question of him. He's had his fingers burnt at Stoke but had an impressive track record beforehand so he needs to restore his reputation.

On 15/09/2019 at 07:02, loveofthegame said:

She is doing it to herself with her blind backing of him. She is a clown too.

Wouldn't describe her as a clown but no question in my mind that she is detracting from the many good things she has achieved by not dealing with what obviously is an untenable situation. CL won't leave voluntarily, we also saw what it took to oust him from the Scotland post but she seems so totally to lack the confidence to move past him that I fear it'll do for the pair of them. I'm frankly amazed he's still there as I write this, it's completely and totally inexcusable.

The players certainly aren’t playing as if they are fighting for the manager. On the contrary, it certainly looks, from performances, that Levein has lost the dressing room. If so, there’s no way back.

The players had better be very careful though. Regardless of how they may feel about the manager and/or coaching staff, if they don’t fight for the jersey on Sunday there will be many that won’t forgive them going forward.

36 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

Wouldn't describe her as a clown but no question in my mind that she is detracting from the many good things she has achieved by not dealing with what obviously is an untenable situation. CL won't leave voluntarily, we also saw what it took to oust him from the Scotland post but she seems so totally to lack the confidence to move past him that I fear it'll do for the pair of them. I'm frankly amazed he's still there as I write this, it's completely and totally inexcusable.

Yes perhaps an overly emotive response waking up yesterday still full of beer. However as you said it’s inexcusable he is still in charge and she is the only one with the power to change that.

1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

The players certainly aren’t playing as if they are fighting for the manager. On the contrary, it certainly looks, from performances, that Levein has lost the dressing room. If so, there’s no way back.

The players had better be very careful though. Regardless of how they may feel about the manager and/or coaching staff, if they don’t fight for the jersey on Sunday there will be many that won’t forgive them going forward.

Their reaction to the first goal was to shrug their shoulders and trudge back to take the kick off.

No angry words, no pointing of accusing fingers and no-one holding their hands up to apologise for their mistake.

That wasn't the sign of a group of players who cared or were right behind their boss

16 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Their reaction to the first goal was to shrug their shoulders and trudge back to take the kick off.

No angry words, no pointing of accusing fingers and no-one holding their hands up to apologise for their mistake.

That wasn't the sign of a group of players who cared or were right behind their boss

I also noticed Meshino trying to gee the players up before kick off after one of our goals. Nobody looked interested. While we are all focussing our anger on Levein right now, the players do shoulder a lot of the responsibility. 

1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

This was something I heard on the grapevine shortly after the Ross County game. There may not be an open rebellion against him in the dressing room but there's little love for him and there's a general dark cloud depressing the mood of the place. It would be disappointing if that's true because, if I've heard it, then I'd hope that Ann Budge has heard it and, if she's heard it and done nothing, then things are bad.

I don't post much on here these days but feel there's two pennorth due. The problem we have is that Levein is too much part of the furniture. You might say that 'he is' the furniture in fact. He runs the whole show, which is fine when all's going well but........

It's hard to see how he can turn things round. He's got a better squad than we've  had for years but we don't win. His selections and chopping and changing don't help either. We've amassed fewer points over the last 10/11 months than anybody else in the league. Something is seriously wrong, but what Ann Budge needs to do is to find someone who can do all the other non first team related stuff, as well as a first team manager. If Levein goes can we assume that AM goes aswell? I'm sad because CL is Hearts to the core and has put so much into the club over the course of his life. We are in a dire mess though and something needs to be done to stop the rot and soon.

His post match comments were laughable. What really annoys me about CL is the arrogance coupled with the damage he is doing to the club’s public face. No humility, no comments about “I got it wrong” especially on Saturday playing Clare at right back. Meshino had more enthusiasm and effort in the short time he was on, than Clare has had all season. After Uche scored following the work of Meshino, he (Meshino) tried to lift the team and was encouraging everyone to bust a gut. Berra in contrast looked knackered, while McPhee wisely kept to his seat and left CL looking a prat. 

2 hours ago, Maroonhio said:

I don't post much on here these days but feel there's two pennorth due. The problem we have is that Levein is too much part of the furniture. You might say that 'he is' the furniture in fact. He runs the whole show, which is fine when all's going well but........

It's hard to see how he can turn things round. He's got a better squad than we've  had for years but we don't win. His selections and chopping and changing don't help either. We've amassed fewer points over the last 10/11 months than anybody else in the league. Something is seriously wrong, but what Ann Budge needs to do is to find someone who can do all the other non first team related stuff, as well as a first team manager. If Levein goes can we assume that AM goes aswell? I'm sad because CL is Hearts to the core and has put so much into the club over the course of his life. We are in a dire mess though and something needs to be done to stop the rot and soon.

One thing that Neilson, Cathro and Levein all had/have in common is endless tinkering. Injuries and suspensions notwithstanding, a complete failure to establish a settled starting line-up or anything even vaguely resembling it. 

annushorribilis III
50 minutes ago, Prof said:

His post match comments were laughable. What really annoys me about CL is the arrogance coupled with the damage he is doing to the club’s public face. No humility, no comments about “I got it wrong” especially on Saturday playing Clare at right back. Meshino had more enthusiasm and effort in the short time he was on, than Clare has had all season. After Uche scored following the work of Meshino, he (Meshino) tried to lift the team and was encouraging everyone to bust a gut. Berra in contrast looked knackered, while McPhee wisely kept to his seat and left CL looking a prat. 

I can't help but think back to the game (at Aberdeen ?) when you could see the Hearts bench in all it's glory. Not one of them with a clue what to do. Sack the lot of them. No leadership on or off the pitch.

15 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

What do you see in him? Seems to have very average record according to Wiki

1 hour ago, leginten said:

One thing that Neilson, Cathro and Levein all had/have in common is endless tinkering. Injuries and suspensions notwithstanding, a complete failure to establish a settled starting line-up or anything even vaguely resembling it. 

The modern game, sadly.

Playing your best XI every week makes form, consistency and better results more likely. Assuming, of course, that the best XI is worth having to start with. Also makes players more physically able to cope with the rigours of Scottish football. 

Perhaps rotation and the 30 mins here, 20 mins there, appearance pattern is why so many modern day players appear to be made of delicate china.

Especially ours. :lol:

Sometimes I think - the fans won’t put up with him, he’ll be forced out soon.

other times I think - he’s so stubborn and has AB wrapped around his finger, that he’s not going anywhere.

1 minute ago, martoon said:

The modern game, sadly.

Playing your best XI every week makes form, consistency and better results more likely. Assuming, of course, that the best XI is worth having to start with. Also makes players more physically able to cope with the rigours of Scottish football. 

Perhaps rotation and the 30 mins here, 20 mins there, appearance pattern is why so many modern day players appear to be made of delicate china.

Especially ours. :lol:

It's often been quoted, and I've no reason to believe otherwise, when Jim McLean won the league (1982?)  he used 14 players. Partly that might have because the players didn't dare confront J McL with anything other than serious injury, (eg broken leg), and also because they didn't want to miss out on something good.

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

It's often been quoted, and I've no reason to believe otherwise, when Jim McLean won the league (1982?)  he used 14 players. Partly that might have because the players didn't dare confront J McL with anything other than serious injury, (eg broken leg), and also because they didn't want to miss out on something good.

I think that's partly true. I think they used around 20 but only 14 made enough appearances for a medal (10+). We were similar in 1986 if...

Did read recently that Aston Villa genuinely did use only 14 players in their 1981 title win. Remarkable in a 42 game league season. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
48 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

What do you see in him? Seems to have very average record according to Wiki

Why do you care?

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

strange response... 

image.png

Whoosh! The point was, given your past haverings, why you have any interest in anyone else's view of a Levein successor.

Anyway, Rowett did very well at Burton and Birmingham under difficult circumstances. He failed at Stoke though so that is why I think the opportunity to work outside England will help both him and us.

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Whoosh! The point was, given your past haverings, why you have any interest in anyone else's view of a Levein successor.

Anyway, Rowett did very well at Burton and Birmingham under difficult circumstances. He failed at Stoke though so that is why I think the opportunity to work outside England will help both him and us.

Whoosh indeed - still makes no sense whatsoever now that you've explained your rationale...I've always shown interest in other people's suggestions of potential managers, even those that are distinctly underwhelming like yours...

image.png.101b56d4c10e4b8fe584c4bd16430b9e.png

Spot the difference...?

image.png.c70cbf0f9f7efff9834ee0cb0d6f73fd.png

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Spellczech said:

Whoosh indeed - still makes no sense whatsoever now that you've explained your rationale...I've always shown interest in other people's suggestions of potential managers, even those that are distinctly underwhelming like yours...

image.png.101b56d4c10e4b8fe584c4bd16430b9e.png

Spot the difference...?

image.png.c70cbf0f9f7efff9834ee0cb0d6f73fd.png

And if your life is based on Wiki cuttings then there is actually no point explaining to you. Maybe Wiki Birmingham City and you might get some context.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

And if your life is based on Wiki cuttings then there is actually no point explaining to you. Maybe Wiki Birmingham City and you might get some context.

Birmingham city 2014-2016 you mean? should I be looking at 5 years ago or 3 years ago?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Birmingham city 2014-2016 you mean? should I be looking at 5 years ago or 3 years ago?

Start from the beginning. It might give you something to do with your life.

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Start from the beginning. It might give you something to do with your life.

Done it already - didn't see any mention of Rowett at all...Not even under the "notable managers" section...

Geoff Kilpatrick

Done it already - didn't see any mention of Rowett at all...Not even under the "notable managers" section...

Good for you.