New Manager

Bauld

3 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Somehow, I don't think David Wagner will be walking out on Schalke to join Hearts any time soon, Martin.

The idea itself is good though. Hearts should be looking across Europe. Both Wagner and Daniel Farke's previous job was as coach of Dortmund's second team. The kind of figure Hearts could maybe hope to entice would be, as Angelo Alessio was for so long, an assistant at present - not someone with managerial success in a good European league. Nor someone who's had any success in England's top two divisions.

With regard to the latter: any club in the English Championship is more attractive to just about any manager than anything in Scotland outside Celtic and Rangers. Even Sunderland or Ipswich are more attractive than non-OF gigs in Scotland. That's just how it is. It's not just a question of money, but of the SPL being a moribund, dead league which time forgot. As Hearts are the third biggest club, few managers are going to be hailed across Europe if they finish 3rd - but it's essentially impossible to do any better.

But if a talented, visionary coach want to cut his teeth in management, that's a different story. As for some of the names I've seen mentioned: Hughton's waiting for a top Championship job. He's way way higher than we can attract. So is Alex Neil. So, contrary to what so many insist, is Michael O'Neill. McInnes is not about to leave Aberdeen to join a similarly sized, less successful club. Garry Monk's just become Sheffield Wednesday boss. Warnock? Is it April 1?

Rowett? Possibly, given how badly he failed at Stoke, so he needs a route back in from somewhere. Robinson? How many wanted him before yesterday's game? Is this some game of "let's see who's 3rd in the league... oooh, it's Motherwell, let's get Stephen Robinson"?

To me, it's either look in English League 1 for a rough diamond at a demonstrably small club who can't go much further - or much better, look abroad. I don't want another jaded Scot reared in this pub league who thinks it's about being "hard tae beat" and waves the white flag the moment Hearts enter Glasgow.

Dortmund reserve coach at the moment I’m sure is none other than mike tullberg 

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• FruitJuice

• Martin_T

• JamboSpur

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MacPhee as DoF is sensible. He knows the business side very well (look at his own football business being a big success) and he has good contacts.

The links with Man City etc are hardly down to Levein.

3 minutes ago, hmfc2011 said:

Dortmund reserve coach at the moment I’m sure is none other than mike tullberg 

Jan Siewert who I was referring to in the quoted post, not David Wagner as @shaun.lawson made a tit of himself with his condescending reply, was the previous coach of Borussia Dortmund II and is currently available after being sacked by Huddersfield.

His record as a manager at senior level is very poor though, although arguably Jürgen Klopp couldn't have saved Huddersfield given what he inherited.

4 minutes ago, kila said:

MacPhee as DoF is sensible. He knows the business side very well (look at his own football business being a big success) and he has good contacts.

The links with Man City etc are hardly down to Levein.

I honestly don't see what people see in MacPhee. He's been first team coach since late 2016, under both Cathro and Levein. Presumably he has major input into team selection and tactics, yet results have been mediocre to awful throughout his tenure.

Hampden Demolition

Someone with no connection to Hearts or Scottish football would be my preference. We need fresh ideas, not the same dinosaur tactics that we usually see in the SPFL.

Really not sure who should be the new manager, think we need to go outside of Scotland. Only Robinson of Motherwell or Holt (although I think Martindale is the key figure) of Livingston seem to be over performing. Nobody exciting is emerging from the Championship.

I would genuinely keep Levien as DOF and head of academy and MacPhee as analyst and coach. Everyone else associated with the first team can go.

MacPhee, Daly, Foxy and Gallacher all have to go with Levein.

The youth system has not produced good results from its £4m investment so everyone there should be scrutinised too.  The fitness of the players has been a disaster so that's another area to look at.

Opportunity to look at everything after Levein and MacPhee go.

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, Coco said:

The youth system has not produced good results from its £4m investment so everyone there should be scrutinised too.  The fitness of the players has been a disaster so that's another area to look at.

Our youth academy?

Aaron Hickey, Andrew Irvine, Harry Cochrane, Marcus Godinho, Jamie Brandon, Anthony McDonald, Aidan Keena, Rory Currie and the other 10+ who played 2 seasons ago

You have got to be kidding. These guys contributed to the first team and will do again in the future I'm sure. 

Problems with the youth system is something you can never say about Hearts

Edited by rudi must stay

31 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Robinson for me.

At least everyone of his players knew their job, we’re fit enough to press us for 90 mins, defended and attacked in numbers. I’d take him.

The entire coaching set up needs cleared out including McPhee. He was the one who brought in all the huddies back in January 2016 and has escaped any flak for it. 

For or me I would go for Robbo with Gary Naysmith as assistant. Robbo has far more experience now than when he was here before and actually plays some really good football with Inverness. Suspect he would walk down the road to take the job. Levein should have been emptied after Livi last season, it’s now becoming ludicrous and the silence from Budge is deafening. She’s not interested in the football side of the club one bit. On top of that she hasn’t a clue about it so god knows who we could end up with. 

7 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Our youth academy?

Aaron Hickey, Andrew Irvine, Harry Cochrane, Marcus Godinho, Jamie Brandon, Anthony McDonald, Aidan Keena, Rory Currie and the other 10+ who played 2 seasons ago

You have got to be kidding. These guys contributed to the first team and will do again in the future I'm sure. 

Agreed. Im Gobsmacked by those who don't recognise our teenage talent.

38 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I honestly don't see what people see in MacPhee. He's been first team coach since late 2016, under both Cathro and Levein. Presumably he has major input into team selection and tactics, yet results have been mediocre to awful throughout his tenure.

As a DoF MacPhee would be occupied with the business side not football tactics etc. 

15 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Wouldn’t be averse to Robinson. They worked and pressed really well. Although we gave them 3 goals as per. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’d still like us to appoint Danny Cowley,  and while he’s consolidating Lincoln in League 1 before he gets them promoted next season, I think it’s a possibility. 

Huddersfield would be a bit cheesed off though!!!

12 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Our youth academy?

Aaron Hickey is the only one of those guaranteed a future at a bigger club than Hearts.

46 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Jan Siewert is currently available after being sacked by Huddersfield.

His record as a manager at senior level is very poor 

Hence my 'fatal error'.

Why are you recommending someone who failed first terribly, then catastrophically, at both senior sides he managed - and who regarding Huddersfield, clearly didn't do any due diligence?

Edited by shaun.lawson

17 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Our youth academy?

Levein has spent £4m and has no transfer income or first choice first team players to show for it.  This is the sixth season he's been running the club!

I'd take the Paterson, Walker, Holt, Nicholson group over the players mentioned above.

Just now, S Form said:

Sounds good - can you start tomorrow?

No way. I plan to let others do the coaching and rock up maybe Friday to pick the team. Poorly.

4 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Somehow, I don't think David Wagner will be walking out on Schalke to join Hearts any time soon, Martin.

The idea itself is good though. Hearts should be looking across Europe. Both Wagner and Daniel Farke's previous job was as coach of Dortmund's second team. The kind of figure Hearts could maybe hope to entice would be, as Angelo Alessio was for so long, an assistant at present - not someone with managerial success in a good European league. Nor someone who's had any success in England's top two divisions.

With regard to the latter: any club in the English Championship is more attractive to just about any manager than anything in Scotland outside Celtic and Rangers. Even Sunderland or Ipswich are more attractive than non-OF gigs in Scotland. That's just how it is. It's not just a question of money, but of the SPL being a moribund, dead league which time forgot. As Hearts are the third biggest club, few managers are going to be hailed across Europe if they finish 3rd - but it's essentially impossible to do any better.

But if a talented, visionary coach want to cut his teeth in management, that's a different story. As for some of the names I've seen mentioned: Hughton's waiting for a top Championship job. He's way way higher than we can attract. So is Alex Neil. So, contrary to what so many insist, is Michael O'Neill. McInnes is not about to leave Aberdeen to join a similarly sized, less successful club. Garry Monk's just become Sheffield Wednesday boss. Warnock? Is it April 1?

Rowett? Possibly, given how badly he failed at Stoke, so he needs a route back in from somewhere. Robinson? How many wanted him before yesterday's game? Is this some game of "let's see who's 3rd in the league... oooh, it's Motherwell, let's get Stephen Robinson"?

To me, it's either look in English League 1 for a rough diamond at a demonstrably small club who can't go much further - or much better, look abroad. I don't want another jaded Scot reared in this pub league who thinks it's about being "hard tae beat" and waves the white flag the moment Hearts enter Glasgow.

Edit - I see the poster has already confirmed he was meaning Siewert. 

Edited by Barasa

rudi must stay
34 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Aaron Hickey is the only one of those guaranteed a future at a bigger club than Hearts.

What's wrong with playing regularly for Hearts..

Godinho did, Brandon has played quite a few games. Cochrane and McDonald have a future (perhaps next season)

The job of the academy is to produce first teams players, it's done that for many many years 

16 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

If it's Naismith/Daly/MacPhee I'll lose my ****ing shit. Heart of Midlothian football club are NOT some tinpot outfit giving someone their break. Finding an established manager to work with this squad, with our budget, should be like shooting fish in a barrel. If it means no more DoF, so be it. 

Edit: if it's A PROPUR HERTZ MAN LIKESAY, I'll firebomb Tynecastle. There is not one - not ****ing one - good enough. 

We need a Japanese speaking coach apparently.....😁.

41 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Hence my 'fatal error'.

Why are you recommending someone who failed first terribly, then catastrophically, at both senior sides he managed - and who regarding Huddersfield, clearly didn't do any due diligence?

Regardless of whether Siewert is or isn't a good shout, your reply to Martin was patronising and unnecessary. 

41 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Hence my 'fatal error'.

Selective quoting, the hallmark of the message board trumpet.

I suggested he might be worth looking at on the premise that he comes from a similar background to Farke and Wagner as a former manager of Borussia Dortmund II, but who's stock is comparatively lower due to taking on a hopeless situation at Huddersfield.

Do managers operate under the same rules as players, i.e. can they be signed outside transfer windows?

And how is Pat Fenlon getting on these days?

Edited by upgotheheads

8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

What's wrong with playing regularly for Hearts..

Godinho did, Brandon has played quite a few games. Cochrane and McDonald have a future (perhaps next season)

The job of the academy is to produce first teams players, it's done that for many many years 

In which case Hickey is the only graduate who doesn't look likely to be playing at a lower level than Hearts by the time he's 24!!!

Irving has shown signs of potential this season, but ultimately Motherwell are kicking our backside in terms of youth development at present.

We need to break the bank for a new manager. The average wage at hearts was around £110k a year IIRC so I’m assuming our manager is on between 100 and 200k a year. We have a squad that with a million pound a year manager we could easily get Europe every year. It pays for itself. 

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Watched a bit training in recent weeks. Think he is part of the problem. Training games consist of working at a very rigid, strict system with hardly any freedom.

Went ballistic at Clare once for daring to break the line when he wanted to burst forward. Seems certain players have to keep in line with where the ball is and only move where it goes.

You could see it yesterday. Irving passes but never advances beyond his marker. How the **** are you going to create space or give support to the (yet again) isolated lone striker?   It’s a pile of pish our strategy. 

16 hours ago, Bauld said:

I don't think we are anymore.

Budge wants a family friendly atmosphere.

Protests in the stands and in the streets will force her hand.

There is no way that AB will be doing anything in the near future. I want to be wrong on this but the fact she publicly stated CL is doing a "great job" says it all for me. She will be undermining herself and her credibility if she acts and as a business woman, she won't want that. IMO he will be given until the Winter break. 

This is just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong. I want them all out too, for a long time. 

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Watched a bit training in recent weeks. Think he is part of the problem. Training games consist of working at a very rigid, strict system with hardly any freedom.

Went ballistic at Clare once for daring to break the line when he wanted to burst forward. Seems certain players have to keep in line with where the ball is and only move where it goes.

You could see it yesterday. Irving passes but never advances beyond his marker. How the **** are you going to create space or give support to the (yet again) isolated lone striker?   It’s a pile of pish our strategy. 

So is Macphee, the guy who has only played semi professional/amateur football, taking most of the training sessions then? Was Craig Levein there too? 

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

No youth player is guaranteed a future anywhere.

3 minutes ago, WageThief said:

No youth player is guaranteed a future anywhere.

Unless Hickey sustains a career ending injury he will be playing at English Championship level at the bare minimum.

This is as clear as it was in the cases of Berra, Gordon and Paterson.

16 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

If it's Naismith/Daly/MacPhee I'll lose my ****ing shit. Heart of Midlothian football club are NOT some tinpot outfit giving someone their break. Finding an established manager to work with this squad, with our budget, should be like shooting fish in a barrel. If it means no more DoF, so be it. 

Edit: if it's A PROPUR HERTZ MAN LIKESAY, I'll firebomb Tynecastle. There is not one - not ****ing one - good enough. 

:lol:

Agree with every word, and I would happily hold your jacket while you light the flame. 

rudi must stay
26 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

In which case Hickey is the only graduate who doesn't look likely to be playing at a lower level than Hearts by the time he's 24!!!

Irving has shown signs of potential this season, but ultimately Motherwell are kicking our backside in terms of youth development at present.

Motherwell will sign anyone with a squad of a million

Not a surprise they've got more young players than us

Central Belt 1874
20 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

This was the exact discussion I had at the game yesterday. It was clear as day Irving wasnt allowed to play forward passes or make movement going forward. Brutal stuff. Felt Djoum played the exact same for the majority of his time when he was here. No bursting runs into the box, no taking on players. 

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

If it ends up being someone currently employed by the club then I might cry. 

Daly ::troll::

Honestly, no idea who I'd take. Most are already under contract. Like the idea of risking a Bundesliga manager as mentioned earlier.

20 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

So is Macphee, the guy who has only played semi professional/amateur football, taking most of the training sessions then? Was Craig Levein there too? 

He is there. While you let your coaches do alot of the work it’s him who (I assume) sets the agenda for them to work with the players at. He rarely interjects or picks anything up though.

He’s either happy with it or letting the coaches do their thing on their own accord.  

5 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

This was the exact discussion I had at the game yesterday. It was clear as day Irving wasnt allowed to play forward passes or make movement going forward. Brutal stuff. Felt Djoum played the exact same for the majority of his time when he was here. No bursting runs into the box, no taking on players. 

Yip. There was an example right on half time. Irving played it out left to Hickey, he starts to get closed down but no one has came across or moved forward into the big space between where Irving held his position and Uche up top. It’s recurring though. 

How week after week our professional people in charge can watch that and not think there’s something not right?  Or even pick it up during the game? They sit on their arses and reference the super computer. Get a few stats punched in to see what solution comes up.😳🙃

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

He is there. While you let your coaches do alot of the work it’s him who (I assume) sets the agenda for them to work with the players at. He rarely interjects or picks anything up though.

He’s either happy with it or letting the coaches do their thing on their own accord.  

That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Most people here are calling for CL's head, and rightly so. He should have been gone long ago. But based on this, the coaches are equally culpable. Massive responsibility is given to those who have little experience and therefore have no idea what they are doing - this is clear by the way we are playing every week. 

I therefore propose that we broaden the scope and while continuing to call for CL's head, the coaches have to be part of that package. AM, JD etc have been and are the problem just as much as CL. How people can even consider to think AM as the next head coach is baffling.

2 hours ago, Coco said:

I agree with your first paragraph, but the second is nonsense, we have some cracking youngsters coming through. 

A clear out is needed, with someone who is able to bring in their own team being brought in! 

11 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Unless Hickey sustains a career ending injury he will be playing at English Championship level at the bare minimum.

This is as clear as it was in the cases of Berra, Gordon and Paterson.

Yeah Hickey is certainly talented.  None of them are guaranteed anything though.  Berra and Paterson are good examples as they made it largely through application rather than supreme talent.

Hickey, Irving, Cochrane, McDonald are all good enough to make it at Hearts (and beyond) but one will probably go the way of Neil Janycyk. 

I doubt Michael Smith was a stand-out at youth level.

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

No way. I plan to let others do the coaching and rock up maybe Friday to pick the team. Poorly.

I see you’ve been on a coaching course at Largs. Even better.

People talking about looking abroad, given the success of a number of relatively unknown coaches who've made an impact down south, is a good shout. 

I really liked the way that Freedman came across, but that ship has sailed. 

But Scott Gemmil is another young(ish) coach with bright ideas, who's studied other clubs & knows all the Scots young players. 

Don't know what his contract situation with the SFA is though.

30 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

People talking about looking abroad, given the success of a number of relatively unknown coaches who've made an impact down south, is a good shout. 

I really liked the way that Freedman came across, but that ship has sailed. 

But Scott Gemmil is another young(ish) coach with bright ideas, who's studied other clubs & knows all the Scots young players. 

Don't know what his contract situation with the SFA is though.

Gemmil may be a shout actually.

End of day, we don't have a say or a clue!!! Who the hell knows whatll happen.

Appoint Locke n Naysmith til end of season by which time Clarke has been hounded out of Scotland job, then hoover him up!!!

Seymour M Hersh
18 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I am as angry as you are.

However, my first choice is quite simple - Gary Rowett. Go get him now and allow him to bring in his own staff.

Why him? 

Seymour M Hersh

I think Sol Campbell would be worth talking to. Personally I want nobody connected to the Scottish game and ideally would look at a reserve coach in the German top division. The Germans seem to be producing coaches that have their teams playing football that people want to see.