Topkapi kebab house

Pants Shaton

1 hour ago, Pants Shaton said:

Heart-breaking to see it out of action.

World’s best Doner in my opinion.

Ali Baba at Dalry/Haymarket wins that 

Not long until the German Döner place opens. As long as it's just like they are in Germany, that should wipe the floor with the rest of them. 

43 minutes ago, Plank said:

Effes shut recently too. 

At Tollcross?

That was a great kebab and the place seems to have been there forever.  Sorry to hear it’s gone.

Topkapi used to be a fixture back when I lived in Polwarth. Sad to see it falling on hard times.

In saying that, it's probably partly my fault as I've not had a doner in about twenty years! 

7 hours ago, Pants Shaton said:

Might be good, but not a patch on even a crap kebab House in Berlin.

40 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Topkapi used to be a fixture back when I lived in Polwarth. Sad to see it falling on hard times.

In saying that, it's probably partly my fault as I've not had a doner in about twenty years! 

It's closed because it's in that building that exploded last week

2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

The gas explosion last week?

i got a vegetable pakora last week, went outside and there was no salad in it. went back and got some. they said it wasn't standard practice. never had it without salad unless i asked for none.

22 hours ago, Pants Shaton said:

You cant have had many Doners in that case

3 hours ago, Peebo said:

Yes, the one where someone died.

Peebo?

I thought it was one and the same. 

I was making the point that the place hadn’t ‘fallen on hard times’ as Craig had said. I was trying to tell him the reason for it’s closure.  That was all.

I hope you didn’t think I was being flippant?  I knew that someone had passed.

queensferryjambo

Sure that is in the Guinness book of records.

If it isn't it should be. 100% best kebab on Earth.

6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Peebo?

I thought it was one and the same. 

I was making the point that the place hadn’t ‘fallen on hard times’ as Craig had said. I was trying to tell him the reason for it’s closure.  That was all.

I hope you didn’t think I was being flippant?  I knew that someone had passed.

I didn’t think that at all. I was clarifying that it was the incident you referred to. 

22 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I didn’t think that at all. I was clarifying that it was the incident you referred to. 

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Used to have fantastic chicken kebabs. Went downhill in recent years. Last time I ordered one it arrived with tortilla wraps instead of a pitta bread. What the **** is that all about? Last straw for me that was.

On 14/09/2019 at 14:24, Henry. Henry. said:

Ali Baba at Dalry/Haymarket wins that 

I agree, They are delicious 

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I agree, They are delicious 

I will give them a try, was looking for another decent kebab shop on Saturday and ended up getting Chinese instead.

On 14/09/2019 at 15:27, Normthebarman said:

Not long until the German Döner place opens. As long as it's just like they are in Germany, that should wipe the floor with the rest of them. 

Any idea where this is going to be?

SpruceBringsteen

I mean I've been away for two years, but honestly - Ali Baba was the Ali Bollocks before I left. Get involved.

Edit: Also there was a place in Longstone that did a kebab the size and shape of a rugby ball, took me 3 days to eat. Sensational if it still exists.

Edited by SpruceBringsteen

6 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I mean I've been away for two years, but honestly - Ali Baba was the Ali Bollocks before I left. Get involved.

Edit: Also there was a place in Longstone that did a kebab the size and shape of a rugby ball, took me 3 days to eat. Sensational if it still exists.

Jaflong. The building it was in has been condemned, so it is now closed.

Cant wait for that German one to open. 

Totally off topic but I seen an Innes and GUNN pub opened on lothian road as well. When did that happen? 

44 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Totally off topic but I seen an Innes and GUNN pub opened on lothian road as well. When did that happen? 

It was the beer kitchen, it just changed it’s name. Pretty sure it’s the same owners selling the same stuff.

I’ll be in Munich next Monday eating proper kebabs and drinking proper bier :D

Edited by mutley

49 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Over a year ago.

Was in topkapi during the festival, was very basic. They apparently changed owners a couple of years back.

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think it was called the Beer Kitchen previously. It’s been the I and G place for about a year.

3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Lothian Road.

3 hours ago, Plank said:

Lothian Road. Few doors up from Nandos.

3 hours ago, Simo said:

Not sure exactly where or when but opening on Lothian Road in October apparently. 

Thanks guys, can’t wait on this opening to give it a try.

2 hours ago, mutley said:

It was the beer kitchen, it just changed it’s name. Pretty sure it’s the same owners selling the same stuff.

I’ll be in Munich next Monday eating proper kebabs and drinking proper bier :D

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Over a year ago.

Was in topkapi during the festival, was very basic. They apparently changed owners a couple of years back.

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I think it was called the Beer Kitchen previously. It’s been the I and G place for about a year.

Cheers. Very rarely venture up that way now. Got a voucher for barbaritto and got a lovely big burrito there yesterday and noticed it. 

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Cheers. Very rarely venture up that way now. Got a voucher for barbaritto and got a lovely big burrito there yesterday and noticed it. 

If you don't mind paying for beers such as half a pint for over £5 then it's quite good.

On 14/09/2019 at 15:27, Normthebarman said:

Agreed. Having sampled German kebabs in Hamburg they are better in every way than some of the crap served over here.

22 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

If you don't mind paying for beers such as half a pint for over £5 then it's quite good.

A lot of pints for around a fiver

Their mango pale ale is amazing 

9 minutes ago, Plank said:

Yeh. The doors were closed for a while but they were open a good few days last week.

Was really messy outside last night so they must be doing more work inside again

8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Aye, they previously advertised that they would be opening at the start of September.

I suppose if you miss the Festival then there is no rush 

3 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Expecting some very interesting news about said Kebab house to hit the headlines in the coming days on the back of the fire.

Insurance job? 

Sexton Hardcastle
11 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Insurance job? 

Rather something they had on the premises. The building will go anyway but future business/reputation could be gubbed with this.

Edited by Sexton Hardcastle

20 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Rather something they had on the premises. The building will go anyway but future business/reputation could be gubbed with this.

Breaking Bad style meth lab?

I remember being in the Topkapi with my son when he was about 8, he started banging on the window shouting "Takis"

The man himself was walking past giving him a wave.