Broadband/TV Packages

Boris

I've been with VM forever, have broadband, land line (I don't have a phone, but there you go!) and the full house TV package (basically the one that gives you BT Sport free). 

So this is all coming in at about £80 pm, which compared to what I used to pay seems expensive.

Was thinking of maybe switching to BT - deal is £55 pm for their 4k ultra deal.

But also thinking about NowTV as an option?

Haven't really thought about Sky as that seems as expensive.

Anyway, would appreciate any advice, recommendations etc from the JKB community regards pros/cons of their experiences of these various platforms.

Thanks in advance.

I pay £30 per month for phone and 70Mb broadband (with SSE) and £25 a month for Sky HD entertainment package with boxsets + Sky Sports.

Edited by Ray Gin

I'm £21 per month for 75mbps (Vodafone) and £45 x 2 a year for 2 IPTV subscriptions, which if you know, get's me more than anybody needs to be able to watch.

I was paying £115 per month for it all :(

Edited by Armageddon

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I pay £30 per month for phone and 70Mb broadband (with SSE) and £25 a month for Sky HD entertainment package with boxsets + Sky Sports.

Thanks. Broadband decent?

Just now, Armageddon said:

I'm £21 per month for 75mbps (Vodafone) and £45 x 2 a year for 2 IPTV subscriptions.

I was paying £115 per month for it all :(

Thanks. Have Vodafone mobile and they just texted re broadband offer. Any good?

2 minutes ago, Boris said:

Thanks. Broadband decent?

Never had any issues and consistently get over 65Mb (I'm close to the exchange). Plenty fast enough for streaming Netflix etc.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Never had any issues and consistently get over 65Mb (I'm close to the exchange). Plenty fast enough for streaming Netflix etc.

Great, thanks for the info. :thumb:

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Sorry @Armageddon what’s iptv like?

If you get speeds of 70+ its absolutely magic.  It has all the Amazon Prime stuff, Netflix Originals, full Sky plus the box office events and more recent cinema movies.

Just now, Armageddon said:

If you get speeds of 70+ its absolutely magic.  It has all the Amazon Prime stuff, Netflix Originals, full Sky plus the box office events and more recent cinema movies.

Normal BBC etc too?  And sports...?

Just now, Boris said:

Aye, everything.

We watched Rocketman the other night and plan to watch Yesterday tonight, both still in the cinema.

I switched to Vodafone just now, they're starting up in about two weeks. One of the reasons I switched was the 75 speed, but also, upload speed guaranteed to be 25 minimum, which is really high for the UK. Glad to hear you've been having a good time with it, Armageddon. Don't know if I'll get it and be able to review before you make your switch, Boris, but all signs point to it being great, and it was the best deal. I also got a cash back offer using Quidco, of £80--if you'd like a referral link to sign up for that, and then click through to Vodafone via Quidco, I would appreciate it as it'd net me a bonus too.

3 minutes ago, Boris said:

IPTV defo the way to go, I don't even have my tv set up to receive terrestial tv. Everything through IPTV.

Note to self - really need to invest in a thesaurus.

The Real Maroonblood

I was with VM but had to change when I moved house.

VM isn’t available.

I am now with BT and I’m being ripped off.

Sky is a problem as staying in a flat the whole building has to be upgraded.

My contract expires in 3 months time.

Any advice would be welcome.

I’m not tech savvy.

I'm on BT, quality's great,  customer service has been ok too.

I use iptv on their connection, they block it on Saturday afternoons so I pay 2 quid a month for a VPN so they can't detect it. 

You could have a year of iptv and vpn for less than a hundred quid if you pay up front. 

Just now, Irufushi said:

Iptv. 2 subs for around £120 a year for every channel/movies/tv series imaginable.Would never go back to sky . 

I was using iptv a couple of years ago and only recently started up again, the increase in quality and reliability is really noticeable.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I was using iptv a couple of years ago and only recently started up again, the increase in quality and reliability is really noticeable.

Im fairly new to it, think I signed up around February time . It’s great. 👍

So iptv...add the app to your smart tv? Plus a vpn through tv?

Better than kodi as that always seemed to need updates?

Applgies for all the questions, just getting my head around it and trying to work out technical stuff!

Edited by Boris

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

IPTV seems really good, I'm glad you're asking all the questions :lol:

I used to think I was quite tech savvy...now I just don’t fancy spending loads and getting feck all due to user incompetence!

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

Would like to know too as I've not got a clue! Is it a box? Is it an app?

I'm in the process of switching broadband from BT to talk talk but it's going to leave me with freeview channels only. This isn't a big concern as we rarely watch any tv expect Netflix, prime etc. and neither do the kids. But if there was a cheap option to get all channels and it wasn't too complicated I'd probably go for it.

Can anyone provide an idiot's guide to IPTV please?!

I haven’t got a clue as well.

Internet Protocol television is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol networks. This is in contrast to delivery through traditional terrestrial, satellite, and cable television formats. Unlike downloaded media, IPTV offers the ability to stream the source media continuously. As a result, a client media player can begin playing the content almost immediately. This is known as streaming media.

AN EXAMPLE BELOW but check things carefully before any purchase/use

https://www.pekan-tv.com/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=iptv&view=detail&mid=06111D226235AFA35A1F06111D226235AFA35A1F&FORM=VIRE

Edited by CJGJ

Budgie's Boyfriend

Just got a months free trial of iptv on my tablet , everything was working great till I tried to watch the Scotland game the other night , utter garbage ...3 mins behind , froze every 10 seconds ....crap!!!!

BRAVEHEART1874

On 12/09/2019 at 11:08, Smithee said:

Nord vpn is this still good 

1 hour ago, BRAVEHEART1874 said:

Nord vpn is this still good 

I believe so, but they're really expensive. To get it down to 2.50 a month you have to pay for 3 years in advance - pay monthly it's about a tenner a month. 

From a recommendation on here I went with Digibit, they charge 2.50 monthly, or 2 quid with a code. My iptv is through streamkings, they give a code for the reduction if it helps.

On 12/09/2019 at 11:29, BarneyBattles said:

I'm in the process of switching broadband from BT to talk talk but it's going to leave me with freeview channels only. This isn't a big concern as we rarely watch any tv expect Netflix, prime etc. and neither do the kids. But if there was a cheap option to get all channels and it wasn't too complicated I'd probably go for it.

It's telly over the internet. You can get a subscription pretty cheap and watch it on your computer or on tv via a box. 

I've got a box to make it easy for the mrs to use, it looks and acts like Sky so she loves it, but no two ways about it, it was a pain to set up.

For those who aren't tech savvy the best option is a wee android box you can pick up for 40 quid. Most iptv providers have an android app that's easy to install and use and they'll normally help you with teething problems.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and you NEED a vpn subscription too.

Your internet provider can slow down your connection or even block the stream if they detect you, this happens all the time on matchday. 

A VPN is a Virtual Private Network - basically all your data goes through the VPN provider and they forward it on, so your provider can't detect what you're connected to. 

Streamkings IPTV with Digibit VPN works well for me

Edited by Smithee

I have been using Beams IPTV for over 2 years.

It literally has every channel on the planet, including Hearts TV.

Quality is great and it's rarely broken.

I pay roughly 25 quid a quarter.

I don't use a VPN for it

https://beams-tv.com/

Edited by Lovecraft

BigCats TV for me £50 (£60 if you want their on Demand/Netflix thing which has about 20k movies and TV shows.) 

It has a lot of Scottish teams.channels but Hearts and Hibs tv have been blocked this season due to them upgrading their security.

PM me if you want more info.

On 12/09/2019 at 11:29, BarneyBattles said:

I use a zgemma h2s box. Install whooshbuild infinity, contact an IPTV provider and Bob's your uncle. I pay 50 quid for a years subscription.

55 minutes ago, superjack said:

I use a zgemma h2s box. Install whooshbuild infinity, contact an IPTV provider and Bob's your uncle. I pay 50 quid for a years subscription.

I'm on the h9s.

Apparently you can get a streamkings reseller account for 125 quid which gives you 120 months of service to sell on. 

I was thinking of going in with 4 other people and getting a year each for 25 quid, pretty sweet deal!

I was paying £48 just for broadband and telephone so I phoned them up saying i was cancelling.  After much negotiaiton they have reduced it to £26 a month which is a good deal. I could have got cheaper but couldnt be arsed with all the carry on with changing services. 

On 12/09/2019 at 10:53, Armageddon said:

How do you get a that ? IPTV ? 

It might just be me but most of the above posts would as well be in Cantonese . 

Vpn iptv , zgemmabox 🤷🏻‍♂️ ffs if the Germans had this kind of code in WW2 Bletchley Park wouldn’t have stood a ****ing chance . 

4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

How do you get a that ? IPTV ? 

He's on holiday for a week but I'm sure he’ll message you when he sees this... a well known spirit and mixer is the name 😬

John mcCartney

Id like some advice re streaming of La Liga games please people....Im suffering withdrawal symptoms
as the broadcasting rights for this season seem to be fxxxed up (altho there is an announcemount supposed to be imminent re the uk rights).....who or what to subscribe with ?

Virgin Media. Was 80 quid a month fo big Kahuna package.

Phoned them and changed to free t.v. and cheapest internet. They have said 60 is the lowest I can go.

Time to change for me too I think.

On 16/09/2019 at 04:37, jack D and coke said:

You can’t receive PM’s bud...

I couldnt change it. Can you advise me how to change that setting ? Thanks 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I couldnt change it. Can you advise me how to change that setting ? Thanks 

Is your inbox full possibly? Just delete messages I think should fix bud👍🏼

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Is your inbox full possibly? Just delete messages I think should fix bud👍🏼

Ive did that so hopefully that has fixed it

Of any one is thinking of getting with sky I can provide referral link where you get £100 bonus loaded on a prepaid mastercard for signing up.wont spam here so PM

I have TV with sky (needed for the kids channels) also sky mobile is a good perk. £10 for unlimited calls and 10gb data. You can also get the sky sports app on your phone and cast to TV which works out cheaper than the sports package.

But I'm with Plusnet for fibre broadband.

• 3 months later...

Am looking to move away from Sky as my current deal has expired. The three cheapest at the minute seem to be Vodafone, Plusnet and talktalk. I know there was a bit of talk about vodafone, plusnet earlier in this thread, has everybody that has them been happy with the service, speeds etc?