Scholes

vegas-voss

1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

He could do a job. 

Easily one of the best CM's ever to play the game.

Proper world class footballer.

Yep, a truly brilliant player. His ability to disguise what he was actually up to was amazing, his touch, vision, precision and football brain were first rate and he was a proper snarly wee ******* too. I love him!

One of those ridiculously naturally gifted players that didn't need to try by all accounts. Apparently kept himself to himself but was pretty much first off the training pitch every day.

But a joy to watch. Watching players like him and zidane always reminded me why I could never call myself a footballer.

That point would be more accurate if Man Utd we’re playing against retired/semi retired players every week.

That said, he was one of the best midfielders I’ve ever seen.

5 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

This game was live on sky sports i see. Probably paid more for it, gave it more air time and more analysis than they do Scottish football. 

Probably because it was of higher level

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The best five midfielders I’ve seen in my lifetime?

Scholes

Zidane

Pirlo

Iniesta

Xavi

In no particular order.

Couldn’t argue with that tbh. I’d say the same. 

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Scholes

Zidane

Pirlo

Iniesta

Xavi

In no particular order.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Couldn’t argue with that tbh. I’d say the same. 

I’d maybe agree too... but only after Morgs said “in no particular order”! Not having Scholes before Zidane, despite how good he was and despite ZZ modestly playing him up. 😄

Big Slim Stylee
14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Scholes

Zidane

Pirlo

Iniesta

Xavi

In no particular order.

And it’s interesting that Zidane, Xavi and Iniesta have all said Paul Scholes was a player they really admired. High praise indeed.

Edited by Big Slim Stylee
Autocorrect said Zinfandel 😀😀😀

Just now, Big Slim Stylee said:

And it’s interesting that Zinfandel, Xavi and Iniesta have all said Paul Scholes was a player they really admired. High praise indeed.

Wee pink-faced ginger lad with nae chin, he was never going to be appreciated as much with Giggs and Beckham strutting about on the same pitch... or Ronaldo for that matter. Fashionable players grab the limelight and the workers (even the top ones) can be overlooked in their presence. It’s testament to how unbelievably good Zidane was, that he is rightly recognised as the best of his era, despite being a big balding guy with bushy eyebrows and a funny nose. Scholes was a fantastic player, but Zidane was head and shoulders above imo.

14 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I’d maybe agree too... but only after Morgs said “in no particular order”! Not having Scholes before Zidane, despite how good he was and despite ZZ modestly playing him up. 😄

Thinking about it, in my lifetime that would be the list plus maybe Rivaldo and Nedved.

In @Morgan ‘s, Platini, Gullit, Matthaus??

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Thinking about it, in my lifetime that would be the list plus maybe Rivaldo and Nedved.

Zidane

then in no particular order:

Pirlo

Iniesta

Figo

Scholes

Nedved

for me, I think... give it five minutes though, and that list will have changed again! :lol:

(apart from ZZ as #1)

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’ve just come back on to add Platini!

Well done, you beat me to it! :clap: :

And of course, John McGinn.

::troll::

4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Zidane

Pirlo

Iniesta

Figo

Scholes

Nedved

for me, I think... give it five minutes though, and that list will have changed again! :lol:

(apart from ZZ as #1)

Yes, probably Zizou at numero uno for me too.

I shook the great man’s hand back in 2008.

My wife fainted.

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes, probably Zizou at numero uno for me too.

I shook the great man’s hand back in 2008.

My wife fainted.

:wow:

Fainted? I’d have probably stickied up my jockies.

He kept his head down and made his gaffer wewy pwoud.

In return he was bestowed with a full career and unimaginable wealth.

Just do what Fergie told you and don't be a wido or you got emptied.

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Zidane

Pirlo

Iniesta

Figo

Scholes

Nedved

(apart from ZZ as #1)

Interesting that most people greatest player lists are strikers and midfielders. 

This is in no way a go at you IoS. Your post is just a good example.

For me I think the Maldini's, Nesta's of this world never get the credit they are due when it comes to truly great players.

Players like Beckenbauer and Sammer redefined the role of a defender in how they played. And players like Hidegkuti invented new roles. The false 9 in this case.

I tire of the Messi and Ronaldo debate, as both have had great teams set up to suport them for large chunks of their careers. And a lot seems to be judged on how many goals they score. I don't think they have really changed the game though, unlike some.of the real greats. But then that's just my opinion.

And, if you're judged on goals as a great player, no one ever mentions people like Fernando Peyroteo.  

All subjective, I know. But there's my piece on defenders and players that left real legacies.

2 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Interesting that most people greatest player lists are strikers and midfielders. 

This is in no way a go at you IoS. Your post is just a good example.

For me I think the Maldini's, Nesta's of this world never get the credit they are due when it comes to truly great players.

Players like Beckenbauer and Sammer redefined the role of a defender in how they played. And players like Hidegkuti invented new roles. The false 9 in this case.

I tire of the Messi and Ronaldo debate, as both have had great teams set up to suport them for large chunks of their careers. And a lot seems to be judged on how many goals they score. I don't think they have really changed the game though, unlike some.of the real greats. But then that's just my opinion.

And, if you're judged on goals as a great player, no one ever mentions people like Fernando Peyroteo.  

All subjective, I know. But there's my piece on defenders and players that left real legacies.

No mate. I agree with you to be honest. But the post of mine that you quoted was part of a debate about best midfielders of our lifetimes. 👍

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Scholes

Zidane

Pirlo

Iniesta

Xavi

In no particular order.

100% agree.

50 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

No mate. I agree with you to be honest. But the post of mine that you quoted was part of a debate about best midfielders of our lifetimes. 👍

Darn. That'll teach me to read back before posting.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Class but couldn’t time a tackle very well 😂😂

His tackling was brutal at times. 

Missed by days. Missed by that much it wasn't even classed as a tackle by anyone, just a player flying past another. 

Great wee player, not flashy, just very good. Don't even know how, but we was brilliant almost every game. 

Only England would have a player like that and move him wide left to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard. Anyone else would build the team around Scholes - fantastic player. Best English player of my lifetime, by miles. 

8 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Class but couldn’t time a tackle very well 😂😂

This is very true but then look at the others he's being compared to - which of them were ferocious, effective tacklers?

3 hours ago, AW1 said:

Probably my favourite ever player bar Cristiano Ronaldo. His technique was something special. 

He's probably my favourite player of the last 25 years. I know there have been more skilful, more outrageously talented players, players who've scored more and won more but his style just spoke to me. Everything he did was cunning, sending his opposing number the wrong way, throwing feints and coming up with options no one else on the pitch had seen.

Also just a wee guy who never forgot he was an Oldham fan. Superb. 

2 minutes ago, kirkierobroy said:

The de Bruyne of his day - infuriating to see him ripping into a Scotland team because he looked like one of us.

:laugh: 👍

Салатные палочки

One of my favourite players of all time. Just a great midfielder. I remember being at Old Trafford once and seeing Giggs, Beckham and Scholes warming up in front of us. Imagine those options from thd bench. 

Broke my heart at Hampden in '99 though. 

rudi must stay
4 hours ago, kirkierobroy said:

The de Bruyne of his day - infuriating to see him ripping into a Scotland team because he looked like one of us.

In some ways. But I reckon Scholes could keep the tempo for 90 minutes. De Bruyne will appear and create in matches. This video and many others on the same channel back that up. They are all worth watching

http://youtu.be/pPVdVFm0qgY

Think that these best midfielder lists are very much dependant on how old you are, I’m creeping towards 40 so surprised not to see the likes of Clarence Seedorf, Frank Rijkard or Lothar Matthias mentioned

20 hours ago, Morgan said:

Scholes

Zidane

Pirlo

Iniesta

Xavi

In no particular order.

Utter PISH!

Gary Mackay

Neil MacFarlane

Derek Ferguson

Palazuelos

Callum Tapping

In no particular order.

Piss all over your midfield.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Utter PISH!

Gary Mackay

Neil MacFarlane

Derek Ferguson

Palazuelos

Callum Tapping

In no particular order.

:tongue::tongue:

rudi must stay
On 13/09/2019 at 08:50, Pans Jambo said:

Utter PISH!

Gary Mackay

Neil MacFarlane

Derek Ferguson

Palazuelos

Callum Tapping

In no particular order.

Palazuelos

The great JBK myth. He was ****

Samuel Camazzola
On 12/09/2019 at 12:28, Icon of Symmetry said:

Zidane

Pirlo

Iniesta

Figo

Scholes

Nedved

(apart from ZZ as #1)

Think I'd need to Redondo to that list along with Xavi who was previously mentioned.