September 11 attacks

Morgan

48 minutes ago, Smack said:

I'm with you to the extent that you'd expect the Pentagon to be covered from every angle by CCTV. 

Isn't CCTV streamed? If so, it isn't very secure. Being the Pentagon and that.

Turned up at work, as back shift manager for fit out, my boss was running about, shouting about the event, I asked him if the ceiling had been completed in the bakery area 

Osama bin Laden, rot in hell, you shithouse murdering *******.  

42 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Turned up at work, as back shift manager for fit out, my boss was running about, shouting about the event, I asked him if the ceiling had been completed in the bakery area 

Osama bin Laden, rot in hell, you shithouse murdering *******.  

They got him!

5 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

I've read that article and there's lots of good points. It still doesn't look like a plane crash from a large passenger jet though. 

Even if you accept the hijacker just happened to make a perfect hit without touching the ground it doesn't look like it.

9 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

The Pentagon plane crash still has too many unanswered questions surrounding it for me.

All the CCTV footage surrounding it and still never one image of the plane hitting it and then leaving a not very plane ish mark.....the USGovernment has never satisfied my curiosity about that moment.

I agree with this. You just need to look at the size of the holes that the planes made in the WTC then compare that with the Pentagon. Always found this one difficult to believe. 

However, I watched an interesting documentary last night about the building collapses and it was the only one I’ve seen which provided a real theory as to why the buildings collapsed, and not a conspiracy related theory either. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Isn't CCTV streamed? If so, it isn't very secure. Being the Pentagon and that.

Don't know. They could probably have stretched to laying a few cables though.

Just surprised there weren't more camera angles available. 

I was in Macedonia, assisting in the de-arming of the ethnic Albanians in an attempt to create peace.  It was the afternoon and we were waiting for a press conference to start regarding the operation

When 9/11 went off, and people quickly realised it was a terrorist attack, the tension was palpable. 

Sitting in Advanced Higher Physics, one of the other teachers came in with a TV on a trolley and we just sat open mouthed. 

I distinctly remember saying to my mate beside me after the second plane hit, "This is it. When they find out who did it, they're getting nuked."

20 hours ago, Morgan said:

I’m sure most folk must remember where they were and/or what they were doing, when they heard about these dreadful events.

Just like when Elvis died (if you were around that long ago :lol:), when Princess Diana died, when John Lennon was shot etc. etc.

Where were you? What were you doing?

I’ll start about September 11th 2001 - we were in a police station in Spain.

This needs explaining, young man. 

Shocking stuff about the whooping and cheering. 

I do remember a guy at work announcing to the office about the planes hitting the WTC.

At the time we all seemed to have the idea of a terrible accident with maybe a light plane. It was only by the time I got home to see the footage was on every channel that it became clear it was a WTF moment of a lifetime. 

The days of non smart phones....I quite liked the ignorance to current events those days had. 

2 hours ago, Zico said:

We were still in BST at that time. 

Yip, those timings are 1 hour out.

I finished work at 2pm and I was only in my house a matter of a minute when I watched the second plane hit live on Sky News.

I woke up in Arizona and got in my car to go to work and was on the freeway when the normal comedy morning show I listen to came back from the advertising break and they started explaining what had happened. 25 or so surreal minutes followed, where I just couldn't process what was going on, and looking at other drivers, neither could they. The next surreal feeling hit when I got into my department at the office and no one was in their cubicles. I went to the kitchen and everyone was gathered around a TV. Saw the towers fall. We did barely any work that day and got cut loose early. That night my best friend from childhood and I went up Camelback Mountain in his car and laid on the bonnet looking at the sky and talking. Only military planes flew over, occasionally--no commercial air traffic and this was also disconcerting.

Everything felt so wrong. It's difficult to explain.

Was getting ready for work when this happened, just sat in stunned silence unable to comprehend what I was watching. A very sad day indeed. Got a mate that’s still utterly convinced the US knew something was going to happen. His main 1 is going on about the tomahawk missile that hit Gorbachevs house and pentagon hole being identical in size 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, martoon said:

This needs explaining, young man. 

Shocking stuff about the whooping and cheering. 

Nothing sinister, Mart.  Honest injun.

Our apartment in Marbella was burgled the previous night while we were out on the skite.  The police came immediately and told us to report to the station first thing in the morning.  We did so, but were asked to return that afternoon with a full list of what had been stolen.  Whilst waiting to be seen there was a TV on in the interview room and we heard about the attacks.

The bar with the clapping was in Marbella too but, let me put it this way, it wasn’t exactly full of Spaniards!

was in Szekesferherva, Hungary, training people up to do my job. Had flown from Heathrow the previous day. Had worked a nightshift, so was just getting out of bed and showered when the first plane hit. Was in a restuarent eating a meal when the second hit. Immediately lost my appetite. Its also my eldest son's birthday on September 11th and he was 11 that day. Took a lot of convincing him that his birthday wasn't jinxed.

At school, had lunch went back to my classroom to surf the 'net.

Found BBC site and was glued to it in a :o manner until afternoon classes started.

16 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

The Pentagon plane crash still has too many unanswered questions surrounding it for me.

All the CCTV footage surrounding it and still never one image of the plane hitting it and then leaving a not very plane ish mark.....the US Government has never satisfied my curiosity about that moment.

I don't want to drag this thread into a conspiracy discussion as that has been done to death here over the years, but I will make one post on the subject and this is it.

- The human remains found at the crash site were all DNA analysed, and every passenger on flight 77 was identified.

- There were countless parts of an aircraft found at the crash site and serial numbers on some of those parts were identified as belonging to the Boeing 757 that was American Airlines flight 77.

- Both flight data recorders (the so-called black boxes) from flight 77 were recovered from the crash site.

I hope this helps. The conspiracy folks will dispute what I've posted, but the principle of Occam's Razor applies perfectly in this case.

Driving to Blackford hill to walk my dogs. Simon Mayo show on 5live on the radio mentioned something about a plane hitting the World Trade Tower.

Didn't think too much of it as it had happened a few years earlier when a Cessna had crashed into it.

An hour or so later driving back the news had escalated and home to Sky News and BBC 24.

A Kennedy moment for my generation and a genuinely shocking and numbing time.

20 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Yes as others have said we were still in British Summer Time. 

This video covers the events (and UK times) as they unfolded on the BBC News Channel. 

Below is how the news broke on BBC1. 

Салатные палочки
27 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Yes as others have said we were still in British Summer Time. 

This video covers the events (and UK times) as they unfolded on the BBC News Channel. 

Below is how the news broke on BBC1. 

That footage never ceases to amaze me. 

I was working in the BoS IT centre at the time alongside an IBM IT guy who was on secondment from IBM's IT centre in Boulder Colorado.

He got very early notice of the first plane hitting from his colleagues in Boulder and asked me if I could switch on the TV in the Ops area which I immediately did, so was able to see the full horror of the day unfold.

Coincidentally, his parents stayed in Newark NJ and were due to fly over to Scotland the following day.  It was a trip they never made.

On 12/09/2019 at 05:57, Restonbabe said:

They got him!

Yes, but too late, he and his father had been on their radar for a long time, they did not a lot about it.

7 of us were in Halkidiki.

Been out for a few post breakfast beers and headed back to hotel to get travellers cheques (I'm old) and it was on the TV in the hotel lobby.

Pretty much glued to TV either there or in the pub from then on in.

Flight back seriously delayed, hundreds of folks ranmed into small departure lounge.

On the plane I was sitting beside a Celtic fan, the type that wears the same tap every day on holiday, who spent much the flight back kissing his rosary beads through sheer panic.

I was an apprentice painter and decorator, painting the outside of the wooden houses in Sighthill.

It come over the radio that a plane had hit one of the twin towers... soon after the guys house we were painting come out to talk about it. We then headed in to watch it on his f-ing massive TV.. soon after the second plane hit..