September 11 attacks

Morgan

I’m sure most folk must remember where they were and/or what they were doing, when they heard about these dreadful events.

Just like when Elvis died (if you were around that long ago :lol:), when Princess Diana died, when John Lennon was shot etc. etc.

Where were you? What were you doing?

I’ll start about September 11th 2001 - we were in a police station in Spain.

Remember being told at work. Then seeing replay of second plane hitting tower on tv. 

And one member of the public coming in for a duty interview about 3.30pm oblivious to it. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Салатные палочки

I was in work.  Took a phone call from a woman about 1pm who told me about the attack on the WTC.  I'll admit, at the time I had no idea what the WTC was.  I had heard of the Twin Towers but had no idea where they were.  I hung up and told a guy Billy who sat next to me and he genuinely thought the world was going to end.   

Started work early that day to do a service call on the security system in the old Asda in Chesser Avenue.

Then popped into my folks house on the way back home to check all was OK as they were on holiday, I had just pulled up when the radio said something was going on.........got into the house and put Sky on and watched the events unfold from the very beginning till the end of the day.

Sawdust Caesar

I also was at work, a colleagues husband phoned and told her about it. Another colleague happened to have a mug with the twin towers on it, he said (in bad taste) "Maybe I should rub one of these off". This was before we heard that a second plane had hit the other tower. When I got home that night I just watched the news all night until I went to bed, the first time I've done that.

It was my second day of work at Standard Life Investments after leaving school. I was in Belgium on the previous Saturday watching Scotland. Quite an eventful few days!

been here before

I was hiding out in Central Park like this...

0cb102e4e4590a51c39602c60f3826e1.jpg.52a22ea748413fb64c63694bae53ec07.jpg

...just waiting from the call frim George Bush to bring them toppling down.

In all honesty I cant remember. I do recall bumping into a pal of mine in Morningside and him mentioning something about a plane crash then seeing it unfold on the telly once I got home.

Sitting having a morning coffee in the den in my house in Osoyoos before a golf game, watching the news when it showed the first plane heading to and hitting the tower then watched as they reported a possible second one coming and the ultimate collision. I was really shocked because a few years before we had flown from Toronto to Newark it was early morning and it was a fantastic sight of the Towers just peeking up through the blanket of white clouds.

Watched what I could before the life priority of being on time for the game took over.

Brighton Jambo

I was on a bus from Faro to Seville.  My mate texted talking about it but as he was a drama queen we just ignored it.  Then my mum texted to say not to fly out of Madrid the next day (as was planned) and she is the least drama queen person ever so we knew it must be bad.

we got to Sevilla and got a hotel with a TV (we were inter-railing) and sat all day watching it unfold.

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

Servicing a back boiler fire in Craigmillar.

on my knees gobsmacked watching it all unfold. It took me ages to do the job as well😂

That post is riddled with sexual innuendos. 

I heard about the first plane hitting the tower on the radio, and immediately thought about when a B-25 hit the Empire State Building in 1945 due to bad weather.

I assumed it was a similar situation, but then turned on the TV to see sunny skies in New York. I said to the wife, "This was no accident", and about two minutes later saw the second plane hit the other building. Knowing that hundreds of people were dying violent deaths before my eyes was a terrible feeling.

After a while you could see people jumping from the upper floors. It was the most awful thing I've witnessed, and that includes seeing a DC-8 crash near Toronto in 1970, killing everyone on board.

Had a half day. 

Got home just after 1pm and was met by my Father-in-Law, who was baby sitting my Daughter, in the hallway and he said...”The US has been attacked!”...

I’m thinking a war has started until I went through to watch the tv and realised the horror that was unfolding. 

Just a bit dramatic from the Father-in-Law but nonetheless still shocking and tragic.  

Салатные палочки
48 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I heard about the first plane hitting the tower on the radio, and immediately thought about when a B-25 hit the Empire State Building in 1945 due to bad weather.

I assumed it was a similar situation, but then turned on the TV to see sunny skies in New York. I said to the wife, "This was no accident", and about two minutes later saw the second plane hit the other building. Knowing that hundreds of people were dying violent deaths before my eyes was a terrible feeling.

After a while you could see people jumping from the upper floors. It was the most awful thing I've witnessed, and that includes seeing a DC-8 crash near Toronto in 1970, killing everyone on board.

You witnessed that?  I've read about that one before. 

Was playing golf at Carrick Knowe With JmcB from Manchester Hearts. 

The first Plane was breaking news as we made our way to Luckies, spent the rest of the day glued to the TV , as did the majority in the Pub ! 

Big Slim Stylee

Sitting in our house in LA. Had BBC America on with the sound down. Wondered why they kept showing this picture of a tower with a large hole in it. 

Then as it dawned on me, I watched the second one hit......

It was surreal. Still is. My brother, who's a journo, had left his job working for a wire service based in the Towers a couple months earlier.

I graduated the day before. I spent the 11th in a hungover stupor waiting for my train from Birmingham back to Edinburgh. At New St I overheard a woman going on about the FBI and the CIA and my friend and I were taking the mickey out of her. I only found out what had happened when I called my mum on the way north. 

13 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

You witnessed that?  I've read about that one before. 

Yes. It flew very close to my house and came down about three miles away.  There is now a memorial park at the site of the crash.

From September 10th, the Scotsman newspaper was going to be given out free to all pupils in our high school every day. 

The scheme never made it to September 12th.

I was on the bus home hime from school when we heard the news. Got home and didnt move from the TV all night. 

We went to a bar later on that evening. It was slightly off the beaten track and the large TV was showing re-run after re-run of the plane hitting the tower. Each time it hit, the bar clientele were whooping and clapping with joy. We were absolutely sickened by this, and left pronto.

Had played golf that morning. Back then I traded the financial markets. Before I left that morning, as always, I checked the markets. The FTSE 100 was up over 90 points. When I got back in it was down almost 300 points. WTF had caused that to happen? Switched on the TV and saw it and eventually it sank in that what I was witnessing was exactly why the market crashed that day.  Absolutely surreal.

On a sad note personally, my mother, who was dying of cancer at the time and was living with us, saw all this unfold on TV and because of all the images she had seen, became convinced she had actually been in New York when it all happened (she had advanced stage dementia as well). From then till she died 4 months later she refused to believe that she hadn't actually been there.

I was at work which was for an American company at the time (based in Scotland). Had 3 flags outside, USA, U.J. and the Saltire. 

The boss said that the USA was under attack & the twin towers have collapsed. He then locked all the doors and put some of the lads on door security as he thought American companies would be targeted.  

I had never heard of the “twin towers” at the time and wondered WTF he was on about. 

Seemed like a scene out of “the office” at the time & I thought it was all bit OTT. 

Then he got a TV out of the IT department & switched it on & everyone was horrified. We got to go home early. 

Felt like the Paris attacks hit home more. Probably due to the fact I was a kid when 9/11 happened and that it was so close to home.

Personally remember being amazed at what was happening, as if it was a movie. Don't think death even went through my mind as it happened

59 minutes ago, Morgan said:

We went to a bar later on that evening. It was slightly off the beaten track and the large TV was showing re-run after re-run of the plane hitting the tower. Each time it hit, the bar clientele were whooping and clapping with joy. We were absolutely sickened by this, and left pronto.

Where were you drinking? Saudi Arabia?

Worked for a US company based in Edinburgh at the time.  Watched the 2nd plane hit live on the tv in a meeting room while the Americans in the office were visibly traumatised.  Our HQ was a few blocks away and they had friends and family in the WTC.  Horrible, horrible day, only to go home and find out that my gran had died having been diagnosed with cancer only a fortnight before.

Was going to a meeting at 2pm and one of the boys said to me that a plane had hit the WTC. Thought it was a Cessna or something and didn’t think too much of it. Halfway through the meeting, one of the girls (who was seeing my then boss) was on her phone and running in and out of the meeting crying and that’s when I twigged something was up. My boss was in NYC selling one of our hedge funds and was due at the WTC at 10am. Fortunately he was in a building on Wall Street and saw the whole thing unfold. Spoke to some of the traders after our meeting who were on the phone to brokers in the WTC when the lines went dead. Grim afternoon and think most folk left early. 

Edited by Zico

26 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Where were you drinking? Saudi Arabia?

Like I said in my OP, Jeff, we were in Spain. Southern Spain.

My sister who lived in North Arlington New Jersey was able to see some of the action, she was quite traumatised at the time, her son worked in an office in the City, not at all affected. It was only after we finished our golf game and sat down to watch tv a few hours later we realised how serious it really was, I suspect a little isolation of affect had kic ked in.

Was at work and the guy I sat next to was on the phone to his bursds (who also worked in the same room but was at home).    She must have told him about it and he relayed it on to us.    I can still remember the brief few words about a plane and the WTC and it immediately sounded so unusual that it was instantly obvious that this was going to be a big story,   but of course it could never have been imagined just how big it turned out to be.     Went home early and watched the news coverage all evening and night in a surreal fascination at it's enormity,   which ended up feeling a bit voyeuristic when you consider that the feeling of fascination isn't that far removed from entertainment.     There was an element of guilt at that.

How many of the people posting done as I did and watched hours of plays and replays of the whole thing, and immediately thought this is a fake just like those moon landings. I am firmly in the I did not column.

In Abu Dhabi.  Just got back to my apartment, switched on the TV as the second plane hit the tower.

Was at Glasgow Airport waiting to go to Spain on Holiday.  The airport staff started to switch off Tvs in the airports but you could see the pilots and cabin crew watching and in awe what was happening.

One flight which was diverted back to Glasgow en route to UK was offloading and passengers were being harassed by tv crew asking what they thought about what was going on - they didn't know as they just were told there was an ATC issue in NYC.

We got to Spain ok but the flights after us were all cancelled or folks were only allowed to bring on a plastic bag with their keys and wallets.

Spent the week in Spain trying to get info what was going on.

Funnily enough I was in NYC in August 2001 through work.  We were working during the week in Somerset NJ (shithole) but me and the boss spent time in NYC at the weekends.  He suggested we go up the twin towers but I was shit scared of heights so declined,  Just a month later they were no more.

Unbelievable and profoundly shocking event and unfortunately another one that has been taken over by the hairy scarys with their conspiracy theories.

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It was about 2pm in the UK 

Yep, it sure was.  After the 2nd plane went in, our boss frogmarched us to the pub for a stiff drink.

Was on a bus home from college when some wacky women was talking to herself about it. Didn't think anything of it til I got in the house. Mum watching QVC. Got the channel changed to sky news and it remained on that channel all day. 

I was in New York in May 2001, 4 months before. We were at the WTC area as the tour bus went there and got photos looking up. Will always remember that day and today's date as it's my sister's birthday!

I was in Dundee. I was working for the Garage Door Company and I was on a job. 19 years old. My colleagues heard from a guy in the office about the first plane hitting. We switched the radio on to hear the rest of it unfolding on our way back to Edinburgh. 

I actually didn't even know what the twin towers were but kept that to myself coz didn't want to sound like a thicko! :lol:

I actually had a thought to myself this morning re 9/11.      The time elapsed from 9/11 to now is longer than the time between me leaving school and 9/11.     

9/11 over half my working life ago.    It doesn't seem anywhere near that.      Dens Park 1986 was just after I left school and that seems like a whole lifetime ago.

Dagger Is Back

To my embarrassment I can't remember where I was when I first heard about the attacks. I remember watching the news at home and the scenes are etched on my memory. I think we all wondered what next?

What I do remember is about a year later when our son was 3 and a half. I was driving past the old flats at Sighthill and from the back of the car he said house fall down Daddy. Near stopped me in my tracks.

The Pentagon plane crash still has too many unanswered questions surrounding it for me.

All the CCTV footage surrounding it and still never one image of the plane hitting it and then leaving a not very plane ish mark.....the USGovernment has never satisfied my curiosity about that moment.

Matthew Le Tissier

Had just turned 11 year old. Was doing my home work in the living room and just kept hearing America from the tv. Asked my mum if my auntie would have been caught up in this (lived in LA at the time) thankfully she wasn’t. Finished up my homework went out to play football with my mates. Was the 1st none sporting thing I can remember us all properly talking about as a group

SpruceBringsteen

Said this before, but see if it was Dode Bush? What difference to anyone's life would it make? Like if he said "aye, it was me" - guess what? Nothing would change. Aliens actually visited? Nothing would change. Kennedy shot by whoever? Nothing would change. If every single conspiracy theory on the planet was proven correct, it'd still be the same people in charge, with zero repercussions. Factually. That is what it'd be.

Just don't get it, likes.

5 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

The Pentagon plane crash still has too many unanswered questions surrounding it for me.

All the CCTV footage surrounding it and still never one image of the plane hitting it and then leaving a not very plane ish mark.....the USGovernment has never satisfied my curiosity about that moment.

I'm with you to the extent that you'd expect the Pentagon to be covered from every angle by CCTV.