BBC Sport Scotland

Cost of the Game 2019/20: No Scottish Premiership tickets below £20

By Scott Mullen & Stephen Couse

BBC Sport Scotland

• 57 minutes ago
  • From the sectionScottish
Sharethis page
Index graphic

Football fans cannot buy a ticket for a Scottish Premiership game for less than £20, a BBC Scotland study has found.

That is just one of the findings from a new survey that collates the price of season tickets, match tickets, programmes, merchandise and food costs across the SPFL divisions this term.

Each of the 42 senior clubs - except Rangers - was asked to provide prices and among the other key findings, it emerged that:

• The cheapest adult Premiership season ticket is £240
  • The most expensive ticket so far is £52 for an Old Firm game at Ibrox
  • Nine clubs offer free season tickets to kids
  • Dumbarton charge the most for a pie
  • Motherwell & Queen's Park charge the most for a cup of tea
  •  

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster insisted that every club in Scotland is "continuing to make every effort to make football as affordable as possible".

He added: "Our game continues to go from strength to strength. Average attendances have increased across all four divisions, the League Cup and Challenge Cup for the last five years in a row.

"One in 47 people in Scotland attend an SPFL match each weekend, which means it remains by far the best attended league per head of the population anywhere in Europe.

"This underlines the value and enjoyment supporters get from Scottish football."

Scottish Premiership

Unsurprisingly, Scotland's top league leads the way in terms of the most expensive clubs to follow.

A season ticket at champions Celtic will cost you up to £674, while the cheapest adult ticket is £456 - an increase of 58.8% from five years ago during Ronny Deila's reign.

Figures obtained from the Rangers website show fans of the Ibrox club could pay anything from £372 to £724 for a season pass.

The cheapest season book in the top-flight can be found at St Mirren, with their entry level ticket coming in at £240, with Ross County just £10 more expensive.

In terms of the most expensive single ticket, that can be found at Ibrox at £52 for a top-category game, with Celtic yet to confirm their price. Hearts and Motherwell offer the cheapest on-the-day brief at £20.

Clubs including St Johnstone, St Mirren and Motherwell offer free season tickets for children when an adult ticket is bought. The cheapest outright kids ticket for the campaign is £5 to watch Ross County.

Away from tickets, fans of top-flight clubs are counting the cost of supporting their sides. The cheapest replica jersey for an adult is Livingston at £39.99, while junior fans of the West Lothian club will pay £29.99 for a top, also the lowest in the division.

That compares to the £60 for a Rangers top or £58 price tag attached to Celtic, with kids jerseys for both coming in at £45.

Livingston also come in top in terms of match-day programme - which is completely free online. For a paper copy, St Johnstone at £2 is the most affordable.

Scottish Championship

While a tier lower, there is one group of supporters who are still playing Premiership prices - Dundee fans. A season ticket at Dens costs at least £340, with eight top-flight clubs charging less.

In fact, Dundee also charge more than any Championship rival for a match-day ticket as well as commanding the biggest single ticket price at £26 along with city rivals United.

Four Championship clubs offer free children's' season tickets - Morton, Inverness CT, Partick Thistle and Queen of the South - while Morton also give free admission to under 12s without a season book. Dundee also redeem themselves here, charging just £1 for a kids season ticket and £2 on the gate.

Dearest strip? You can find that at Somerset Park, with adult Ayr fans paying £49.99 for a replica jersey. A kids strip across the league is not available for less than £35.

A pie and a cup of tea at Inverness will cost you a hefty £4.60 in total, more than double the £2 you would part with at Queen of the South.

Scottish League One

In League One, the price of a season ticket drops below the £200-mark at three clubs - Forfar Athletic, Stranraer and Peterhead - with the latter the cheapest at just £175 for the full term.

Forfar come in cheapest for a single match ticket at £14, while Falkirk, Peterhead, Stranraer and Dumbarton all offer free ticket deals for kids whether on a single match basis or across the season.

However, any adult wanting to follow Dumbarton is having to dig deep compared to other fans in the division. They have the dearest cheapest season ticket at £240, the joint third-highest single ticket at £16, joint second most-expensive programme at £2.50 and the highest priced pie in Scotland at £2.80.

To put it differently, it costs only marginally more to buy a slice of pizza and a drink at Serie A giants Juventus at 5.50 euros (£4.92) than a pie and a tea at Dumbarton. Granted, there are different economies of scale at play between the two...

The most expensive season ticket in the division comes at Falkirk at £320. They also have the dearest on-the-day ticket (£20), programme (£3 along with Clyde), tea (£1.80) and away ticket price (£18).

Fashion comes at a high price in Peterhead with £49 needed for a jersey, while Raith Rovers charge £55 for a full kit for children.

Scottish League Two

In the bottom tier, seven of the 10 clubs offer some form of free ticket to children, with Cove Rangers' £80 for a season ticket the dearest in League Two.

For adults, the price of a season ticket does drop from the division above, with Elgin City's £150 the cheapest in the division for a season ticket. However, while perhaps not a fair comparison given the focus on fans in German football, that is still £20 more than what it could cost you to watch Bayern Munich for a campaign.

Queen's Park have the dearest tickets across the board at £200 for a season ticket and single day ticket at £15 along with Brechin City.

While a programme at Hampden may be free, you can pay £3 for one at Edinburgh City.

And a Stirling Albion fan looking to buy their child a top? It will cost you £40.

Fans' love of game endures amid nonsense - analysis

Tom English, chief sports writer, BBC Scotland

When it comes to the support of the national team there is a growing weariness and a deep-set apathy among the Scotland fans. Crowds are falling as dejection rises. That's what happens when failure becomes the norm. The Scottish FA has a major problem on its hands.

According to Neil Doncaster, the chief executive of the SPFL, attendances at club matches across Scotland are in decent health. He talks about the average attendances increasing across all divisions over the last five seasons. He says that the SPFL, per head of population, remains the best attended league in Europe.

There is no doubting the love of the game in Scotland. It endures through all sorts of nonsense. Accelerating ticket prices and anti-social kick-off times are accepted. It would be fascinating to see an overall satisfaction rating among football fans for their match-day experience but the fact remains that they still turn out in numbers even when barriers are put in their way.

A number of issues jump out of this survey. Dundee charge more for a season ticket than eight Premiership clubs. Do they not know what division they're playing in? Are they in denial about relegation? Ayr United charge £49.99 for a men's replica jersey? Do the smelling salts cost extra? No strip from a Championship club is available for less than £35. That's fine if you belong to Morton, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Partick Thistle or Queen of the South where kids get free season tickets. Brilliant. Good on them. But the rest?

At £240, St Mirren offer the cheapest season ticket in the Premiership. Fair value, you might say. But here's the thing. Attendances at professional rugby matches have now surpassed most football club attendances in Scotland.

Last Friday, the international rugby team drew more than 50,000 to Murrayfield for a friendly with Georgia while the SFA struggled to half-fill Hampden for the visit of Russia before recording a crowd of just 25,000 for Belgium on Monday night.

In Glasgow, the Warriors charge £215 for their cheapest season ticket and their crowds have risen to such an extent in recent seasons that their 7,500-capacity stadium is now regularly sold out. There is talk of them adding extra temporary stands to meet demand. Too often the place is too small. This from a club that six or seven years ago was bringing in 2,000 fans per game if they were lucky.

Football will always be the national obsession - and plenty of clubs are busting every sinew to do the right thing by their supporters - but if you polled a thousand football fans from around the country and asked them if they felt they were getting value for money the answers would be interesting. They love their team, but their support should never be taken for granted.

Neil Dungcatcher - “Our game continues to go from strength to strength....”

Really? In which alternative world does this clown live in?

The national team is utter guff, the gap between Rantic and the rest is widening again and there is little money coming in via TV or sponsorship. 

scott herbertson

So despite numerous threads complaining about our walk up prices compared to everyone else, when compared, we're the cheapest......

Not saying it's not too much for ALL clubs, it is. Also recognise the cheap prices are for the duff seats, but at least we do offer some cheaper seats for those for whom price is an issue, compared to our rivals

If Doncaster would get some decent money in to the league, and we could manage to distribute it more evenly, then the ticket price could be dropped. As it is, we truffle in Europe against teams from countries with more money than us. Dropping the prices would increase the gap.

8 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

So despite numerous threads complaining about our walk up prices compared to everyone else, when compared, we're the cheapest......

Not saying it's not too much for ALL clubs, it is. Also recognise the cheap prices are for the duff seats, but at least we do offer some cheaper seats for those for whom price is an issue, compared to our rivals

Not exactly, Scott. The jump from Bronze to the higher bands is where the criticism comes in. And having 4 Cat A games, where the Bronze goes up by 50%.

Also, it’s £21 not the £20 stated.

The criticism is justified as far as i’m concerned.

1 minute ago, Boab said:

Not exactly, Scott. The jump from Bronze to the higher bands is where the criticism comes in. And having 4 Cat A games, where the Bronze goes up by 50%.

But you can easily buy the cheapest seats and sit in the most expensive. At least for now. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

But you can easily buy the cheapest seats and sit in the most expensive. At least for now. 

Of course you can !

I won’t be sitting in Lower H this Saturday !

😉

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Of course you can !

I won’t be sitting in Lower H this Saturday !

😉

Whats the number of the grass-line again? 🙄

The fact that Doncaster thinks that all is rosy tells us everything we need to know about the capability of those running the game in this country.

42 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

If Doncaster would get some decent money in to the league, and we could manage to distribute it more evenly, then the ticket price could be dropped. As it is, we truffle in Europe against teams from countries with more money than us. Dropping the prices would increase the gap.

I don't think clubs would drop prices, even if we suddenly had a TV bonanza tbh

The EPL still charges outrageous sums for tickets does it not?

It would be also worth showing clubs who pay the "living wage" - paying people properly must have some form of impact on cost. 

19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

So, despite folk moaning about ticket prices attendances are on the rise...

:interehjrling:

Attendances at other clubs rising means the square root of **** all when Hearts supporters are discussing the ticket prices at Tynecastle.

Because some are critical of those prices, we’re moaning because attendances are up at Parkhead and Ibrox ?

Cool !

17 minutes ago, Boab said:

Attendances at other clubs rising means the square root of **** all when Hearts supporters are discussing the ticket prices at Tynecastle.

Because some are critical of those prices, we’re moaning because attendances are up at Parkhead and Ibrox ?

Cool !

So it's just a Hearts issue? If we reduce prices we'll be turning folk away? I think not!

Here's a wee nugget, see when we are winning no one gives a **** about ticket prices.

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

So it's just a Hearts issue? If we reduce prices we'll be turning folk away? I think not!

Here's a wee nugget, see when we are winning no one gives a **** about ticket prices.

It is only a Hearts issue for me. If the hooped demons’ prices for STs has went up 58% but their attendances have went up then that’s their business.

Paying £32 for the cheapest seat for a game against Aberdeen for example, is way too expensive for many walk up fans.

I’ll criticise ticket prices whether we are winning or not. If someone can prove that this season’s prices are not a factor in a drop in attendances, i’ll hold my hands up !

We’re not playing well right now. Those prices will deter some who might have went along even if things are not great on the park. I’m convinced of that.

Nelly Terraces
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

A friend of mine wanted to take his son to the Ross County game. Total cost would have been £37. Understandably he didn't bother.

Value for money? I think not.

11 minutes ago, Boab said:

It is only a Hearts issue for me. If the hooped demons’ prices for STs has went up 58% but their attendances have went up then that’s their business.

Paying £32 for the cheapest seat for a game against Aberdeen for example, is way too expensive for many walk up fans.

I’ll criticise ticket prices whether we are winning or not. If someone can prove that this season’s prices are not a factor in a drop in attendances, i’ll hold my hands up !

We’re not playing well right now. Those prices will deter some who might have went along even if things are not great on the park. I’m convinced of that.

£32 was not the cheapest ticket against Aberdeen.

They don't even have our prices correct. £21 is the cheapest and £38 the dearest.

Let's not forget the £1.50 admin charge for those that can't buy from the ticket office.

7 minutes ago, Boab said:

Was ?

Is !

If it’s not £32, what is it then ?

Category A: Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibernian and Rangers

Platinum Gold Silver Bronze
Adult £38 £34 £33 £32
O65/Student £32 £25 £23 £22
U18 £25 £20 £20 £20
U16 £18 £15 £15

£15

U13 £17 £14 £14

£14

Category B: Ross County, Hamilton Academical, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, St Mirren, Livingston, St Johnstone.

Adult £34 £29 £23 £21
O65/Student £25 £21 £18 £16
U18 £20 £15 £15 £15
U16 £15 £8 £8 £8
U13 £12 £5 £5 £5

6 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

Probably but it's not helping matters.

I think it’s seen as more of an issue when we are not playing well but I doubt dropping prices would increase attendances significantly. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This is a national problem that Doncaster is ignoring. Its odd though, attendances do seem to be rising generally.

The mood of any such survey is of course linked to the mood of a set of supporters, naturally we are going to feel perturbed at the moment.

Cost of the away ticket is the big issue for me, this needs to be addressed el rapido, we are of course a culprit

13 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Category A: Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibernian and Rangers

Adult £38 £34 £33 £32
O65/Student £32 £25 £23 £22
U18 £25 £20 £20 £20
U16 £18 £15 £15

£15

U13 £17 £14 £14

£14

Category B: Ross County, Hamilton Academical, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, St Mirren, Livingston, St Johnstone.

Adult £34 £29 £23 £21
O65/Student £25 £21 £18 £16
U18 £20 £15 £15 £15
U16 £15 £8 £8 £8
U13 £12 £5 £5 £5

I stand corrected then, I'm sure someone said there were cheaper tickets in the pervious thread but I look like I was wrong.

Still, there is no evidence that ticket prices are keeping fans away. Just like there is no evidence that dropping prices sees a significant uptake in attendance.

Folk have moaned about ticket prices for years. Still, it didn't seem to affect us negatively in 2005 and 2006 when we had a waiting list for season tickets. Nor did it seem to affect us at the start of last season when we were top of the league.

15 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

Probably but it's not helping matters.

Fantasy to think we'd get much more through the gates to watch the football currently being served up at Tynecastle if the prices were cheaper.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

I stand corrected then, I'm sure someone said there were cheaper tickets in the pervious thread but I look like I was wrong.

Still, there is no evidence that ticket prices are keeping fans away. Just like there is no evidence that dropping prices sees a significant uptake in attendance.

Folk have moaned about ticket prices for years. Still, it didn't seem to affect us negatively in 2005 and 2006 when we had a waiting list for season tickets. Nor did it seem to affect us at the start of last season when we were top of the league.

Inflation and a lack of corresponding wage increases through the effects of a decade of austerity will be pricing some people out of attending for sure. Hopefully none of these people voted for the party that has imposed it. Would leave them looking a little hypocritical should they complain.

22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think it’s seen as more of an issue when we are not playing well but I doubt dropping prices would increase attendances significantly. 

In response to that, Dave, there was criticism of our current pricing before a ball was kicked.

We’ve been on this roundabout before of course. There is, I concede, no great evidence that we would put significant numbers onto attendances if the prices were reduced. 

I just think they are way too high for watching a game of football in Scotland.

If we were playing better, or in a better position in the League, that view wouldn’t change.

20 minutes ago, Boab said:

In response to that, Dave, there was criticism of our current pricing before a ball was kicked.

We’ve been on this roundabout before of course. There is, I concede, no great evidence that we would put significant numbers onto attendances if the prices were reduced. 

I just think they are way too high for watching a game of football in Scotland.

If we were playing better, or in a better position in the League, that view wouldn’t change.

Fair enough. 👍👍

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

This is a national problem that Doncaster is ignoring. Its odd though, attendances do seem to be rising generally.

The mood of any such survey is of course linked to the mood of a set of supporters, naturally we are going to feel perturbed at the moment.

Cost of the away ticket is the big issue for me, this needs to be addressed el rapido, we are of course a culprit

This for me, years ago we had deal with Motherwell that season ticket holders of both clubs got in the away end for a tenner.  Whilst I wouldn't expect it to be a tenner, I think £20 for an away game coupled with additional travel expenses would be sensible.  I'd like to see Hearts speak to other clubs about coming to a reciprocal agreement along these lines.  Whilst we'd make slightly less money from the away fans at Tynecastle, Hearts fans who travel would benefit from it.

scott herbertson
5 hours ago, Boab said:

3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

A friend of mine wanted to take his son to the Ross County game. Total cost would have been £37. Understandably he didn't bother.

Value for money? I think not.

I don't disagree with either post. My point was that at the entry level we are cheaper, which is good.

However, the product is crap (in fact recently that's too nice a way of putting it) and currently not worth even that.

Also there is a steep price hike for the better seats and I do think that will put some people off. it's probably not enough people, when we are playing as bad as we are now, to justify a price reduction in terms of the price vs overall revenue equation. But it is another factor in putting people off coming, and longer term we will lose people that way.

I doubt very much  I'd be making the 2 hours bus journey each way on Saturday if I didn't already have a season ticket.

joondalupjambo

Students now a fiver for a Motherwell ticket?  How do they get it so cheap? You could be under 18 and unemployed and have to pay three times that I think. Also on etickets looks like it is across the ground and not just in the lower sections.  Is that right?   

If it is I am thinking is this not another own goal.  A mature student for example with savings, married with another full wage coming into the house rocks up with their student card and pays a fiver.  

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

People on this very thread have said that the prices have resulted in they or friends deciding not to buy tickets, including the one by Nelly Terraces above. What more evidence do you want?

The Natural Order

The fact about the cost of tickets is that fans will never be happy. If the price is high they moan but if clubs dropped the price they'd have less income and would have to cut player budgets to suit so guess what, the same fans would be greetin because their club signes lesser players.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

People on this very thread have said that the prices have resulted in they or friends deciding not to buy tickets, including the one by Nelly Terraces above. What more evidence do you want?

They'll be back once we start winning 👍

4 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Students now a fiver for a Motherwell ticket?  How do they get it so cheap? You could be under 18 and unemployed and have to pay three times that I think. Also on etickets looks like it is across the ground and not just in the lower sections.  Is that right?   

If it is I am thinking is this not another own goal.  A mature student for example with savings, married with another full wage coming into the house rocks up with their student card and pays a fiver.  

Because it is a promotion to coincide with the start of the uni term. The aim is to attract people who will then pay more later in the season. The fact people complain about cost of tickets affecting attendances but others complain when they offer cut price promotions shows the club can't win.

I'll offer the same challenge that I offer each time this subject comes up. Is anyone arguing for Hearts to cut prices willing to also say they are happy for Hearts to be less competitive on the park as a result due to lost income?

(I know I'll get the armchair experts telling me that it is possible to cut prices but increase income due to crowds going up, despite all the evidence that this isn't true. I suggest those folkspend their time instead calculating how many unicorns they are going to be able to buy with the money they save on tickets when the club cuts prices.)

joondalupjambo
8 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Because it is a promotion to coincide with the start of the uni term. The aim is to attract people who will then pay more later in the season. The fact people complain about cost of tickets affecting attendances but others complain when they offer cut price promotions shows the club can't win.

I'll offer the same challenge that I offer each time this subject comes up. Is anyone arguing for Hearts to cut prices willing to also say they are happy for Hearts to be less competitive on the park as a result due to lost income?

(I know I'll get the armchair experts telling me that it is possible to cut prices but increase income due to crowds going up, despite all the evidence that this isn't true. I suggest those folkspend their time instead calculating how many unicorns they are going to be able to buy with the money they save on tickets when the club cuts prices.)

Ah ok that explains the timing.  Half of me still thinks the offer, for three games I think is a bit unfair on others like the young and the unenemlloyed but the other half sees and understands why it could make sense.

I get all the other points you highlight and understand the arguements that everyone raises but my point here was simply a narrower one about some better off students versus low paid or unemployed being left out of any offer.  A fiver seems very, very cheap especially for three times and not a one off.  Even poorer students can afford that surely.  A tenner might have been a fairer figure.

My cynical side says we are sufferring from drops in attendance over recent weeks so why not look at a fast and cheap way to put more bums on seats to fill the ground for a few weeks until results hopefully improve.  That is what being old does to you, makes you a bit cynical😃 However let's go with your answer because it does sound a bit more logical given the time of year.

8 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Totally agree with this. Until we get more money through TV and sponsorship, there’s no way we can drop the price of tickets, unfortunately.

Over to you Doncaster...

Stephen Muddie
10 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

The young and the unemployed are probably Hearts fans already (If they're not, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a u-12 ST for us still £55?) Many students won't be. There are 10,000 international students at Edinburgh University alone. 

With unemployment at reported record lows (aye right), doing deals for unemployed folk would be a waste of marketing budget.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

20 hours ago, Boab said:

Agree. I live in the west coast, in my 30's with a family and a decent job. I travel through as and when I can to Tynecastle. I used to have season tickets but gave up due to work commitments. I paid £56 plus a booking fee for 2 tickets to watch the Ross County game I honestly decided I won't be paying that amount to travel through and watch the shit on display. If it was cheaper I would go through more often. I'll still go to the odd away game closer to home but for me it's 2 factors.

One, our style of play and to me entertainment factor as although I go to see us win I want to watch an enjoyable match.

Two, the sheer cost for 90 minutes of my life. Its far too expensive for what it is giving me back. I may just be going getting older now but Tynecastle has lost its magic to justify the price tag for the odd game.