Raheem Sterling (NHC)

CostaJambo

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

No he isn't.

You don't think he's a superb player? 

He plays for the best team in England every week, for probably the best manager on the planet atm. He scores a goal every 3 games in one if not the top league in the world. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• CostaJambo

• Nookie Bear

• fabienleclerq

1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

You don't think he's a superb player? 

He plays for the best team in England every week, for probably the best manager on the planet atm. He scores a goal every 3 games in one if not the top league in the world. 

No! Messi is superb, C Ronaldo is superb. Sterling isn't.

Andy Robertson isn't superb either and he plays for the European champions.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

No! Messi is superb, C Ronaldo is superb. Sterling isn't.

Andy Robertson isn't superb either and he plays for the European champions.

So only two players are superb? Robertson has been superb for Liverpool, not many I'd have at lb before him. 

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

So only two players are superb? Robertson has been superb for Liverpool, not many I'd have at lb before him. 

Suarez, Hazard, Neymar, Messi and Ronaldo all superb. 

Sterling very good. You obviously don't agree. I'm sure he gives a shit what we think.

A lot of people seem to be criticising him for things that he's ironed out of his game in the last couple of years.

Yeh, his decision making and finishing used to be really poor but now he's excellent. He still fluffs chances and makes poor decisions but it's not a weakness in his game, he's no worse for it than some of the other players people are saying are streets ahead of him. I watched Ronaldo shank the ball 2 or 3 times last night against Lithuania...he must be rubbish.

9 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Speed, rarely injured and scores a lot. These are the only three attributes to his game mentioned on this thread so far yet several posters consider him brilliant, 2 of them have nothing to do with football really and the other one could probably be said of Uche if he was starting for Man City every week! Still not seeing it. Nothing against the guy, just not understanding why he gets such an easy ride from the English media these days. Bet Messi and Ronaldo are like WTF????

Excellent movement, ability to pick a pass, ability to time a run to perfection, vastly improved finishing since he moved to City and provider of loads of assists for his team mates. 

He's scored 10 goals for England, 8 of which have been in the last year as he's improved immeasurably since moving to City, plus Pep will always pick him for the big games and I'm sure Pep knows a bit more than me and you about football.

He's not as good as Messi & Ronaldo (nobody is), however, he is an excellent, top quality player.

This place is mental. A player scoring 20 odd goals a season, plus a load of assists for the best team in England, but nah, he isn't brilliant 🙈 If his name was Rahemeo, it'd likely be a different story. 

Not sure why people have thrown Messi and Ronaldo into the mix, unless the English commentators mentioned that last night, but those 2 are ahead of every other player in the world. I was reading Ronaldo's international stats, 93 goals in 160 games 😳

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

:rofl:Behave. 

I mean at this current moment in time, obviously! No point having talent if your attitude sucks.

Neymar is a disruptive prima donna who needs to get to playing the kind of football he is capable of.

9 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

I am 51 and quite flabby, probably even fat lol, but I could probably have scored against Kosovo. 

Kosovo would beat Scotland

19 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I mean at this current moment in time, obviously! No point having talent if your attitude sucks.

Neymar is a disruptive prima donna who needs to get to playing the kind of football he is capable of.

Id agree with that, I'd rather have sterling. 

33 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Form wise, certainly. Neymar must be the most hated player in football. 

Big Slim Stylee

An outstanding thread. Surely any football fan with a modicum of knowledge can see he's a phenomenal player who just keeps getting better?

Or maybe not if you're a JKB member. This place is fecking nuts.

Brighton Jambo
13 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Type of player who, once settled into a squad and style of play is an excellent asset. However, he needs excellent players round him who will do the hard work for him. 

Doubt he will ever reproduce his club form for England as he doesn't have the same understanding. 

8 goals and 4 assists in his last 8 England games would suggest he is producing it.

Im not aiming this next point at you but people saying he isn't that good or just think he scores tap in's etc are biased because he is English.  If he was Spanish or French there would be no doubt he is fast becoming on of the most impactful players in Europe.

The improvement in the last two seasons has been astounding.

Playing for the best coach in a team playing the best football in the  country has made him fulfill his earlier potential he had at Liverpool.

Proved a lot of doubters wrong.His reason for leaving Liverpool to improve and win trophies all coming together now.

12 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

OK, I am clearly missing something here (not for the first time). What is it about Sterling's game individually that is so good rather than his team mates making his job easy?

So why do City not just sign any old player if it's so easy for their forwards?

13 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Is he a £50m player as good as the English media make him out to be or a player with poor control and decision making outside the box who can dribble at speed and scores goals by being in the right place at the right time in a team of brilliant suppliers of chances for both club and country? 

Interested if people agree or disagree, maybe I am missing something.

Sinclair on the radio this morning talksport saying he is as good as  messi 

has as improved a lot but to suggest this is beyond a joke 

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

Id agree with that, I'd rather have sterling. 

Certainly a better person than neymar but he isn’t better than neymar nowhere near it 

chester copperpot

I couldn't stand Sterling at Liverpool and was delighted when 'WE' got 50m for him.

He was initially piss poor for City, then they got Pep. Now worth treble that fee.

I reckon Barca or Real Madrid are going to break the bank and try and get him, he's that good now.

Still makes errors but Pep has improved his decision making so much since coaching him. 

Seymour M Hersh
36 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I couldn't stand Sterling at Liverpool and was delighted when 'WE' got 50m for him.

He was initially piss poor for City, then they got Pep. Now worth treble that fee.

I reckon Barca or Real Madrid are going to break the bank and try and get him, he's that good now.

Still makes errors but Pep has improved his decision making so much since coaching him. 

:laugh::thumbsup:

50 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Certainly a better person than neymar but he isn’t better than neymar nowhere near it 

Who would you want in your team? I'm not arguing he has more ability than Neymar, his attitude and application on top of his ability for me means I'd rather him than Neymar. 

52 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Occasionally he can either drift in and out of a game and sometimes his body language looks frustrated because of it but can still flip a game on its head in seconds 

14 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Is he a £50m player as good as the English media make him out to be or a player with poor control and decision making outside the box who can dribble at speed and scores goals by being in the right place at the right time in a team of brilliant suppliers of chances for both club and country? 

Interested if people agree or disagree, maybe I am missing something.

He was rubbish against us. Mind you he was playing alongside Jonjo Shelvey as I recall.

6 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

He was rubbish against us. Mind you he was playing alongside Jonjo Shelvey as I recall.

He was 17 I think. I also recall the Liverpool fans raving about him after. 

Tynecastle Valhalla

Ability wise he’s not even in the top 50 to 100 in the world but in terms of effectiveness right now he is right up there with the best 

his pace is electric, he can dribble and he times his runs very well. His finishing has improved a lot through good coaching. I think any team in the world would take him to be honest - a huge asset for England unfortunately 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It's between him and Sean Clare ^_^

Clare just sneaks it cos he drinks in the Mill on the nights before matches.

He dives less than he used to and is an integral part of a superb Man City team. Still a very unlikeable player. Wish he was Welsh though

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Iirc he got MOTM against us at Tyne didn’t he?

I’d have 

MbappéMessi, Salah, Hazard, Mane, Dybala, Coutinho, Neymar, Son, Reus, Bale before Raheem Sterling. 

:sadrobbo:

I'd have those in bold ahead of him. The others I'd either have Sterling or an even pick.

Edited by Taffin

I’d have 

Mbappé, Messi, Salah, Hazard, Mane, Dybala, Coutinho, Neymar, Son, Reus, Bale before Raheem Sterling. 

:sadrobbo:

And many others vastly overrated 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I'd have those in bold ahead of him. The others I'd either have Sterling or an even pick.

Mane and Salah are lightyears better mate. 

Mane and Salah are lightyears better mate. 

Don't agree. For me they're all much of a muchness, except Salah isn't a team player so I'd have the other two over him...marginally. Sterling will outscore both of them this season though imo.

avhudtheteeshirt
17 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Biggest mistake Southgate made in the whole World Cup was taking Sterling off v Croatia. He should've taken static Kane off. Even when Sterling's not playing well, he's still a nightmare for defenders because he's so ****ing fast, so they can't ignore him. We really shot ourselves in the foot by subbing him that day.

Since then, he's come on leaps and bounds, and will continue to do so as long as Pep's around. But I wouldn't trust him in any one on one and he's still about half a level below the very best. Might well make that gap up in another year or two, though. Much to the chagrin of England's shame: our vile, racist beyond belief tabloid press.

Maybe that should have been the question, is Kane as good as he's made out to be?????

31 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Don't agree. For me they're all much of a muchness, except Salah isn't a team player so I'd have the other two over him...marginally. Sterling will outscore both of them this season though imo.

You’re right about Salah, he’s very greedy. 

Stephen Muddie

Take Sterling out of his environment and put him in Hearts' starting XI you'd quickly see how over-hyped he is IMO.

From the first moment I saw him, against us for Liverpool, I was at a loss to rationalise the hype. Seven years later he appears to be fulfilling the potential, yet for all that I still don't really see what the big fuss is about.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

He’d slot seamlessly into a Barcelona side. Not many players in the world you can say that about.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

• 1 year later...

The boy from downtown Neasden has done well. Much as I hate the British system of Patronage, I see why an MBE was thought appropriate.