Raheem Sterling (NHC)

CostaJambo

Is he a £50m player as good as the English media make him out to be or a player with poor control and decision making outside the box who can dribble at speed and scores goals by being in the right place at the right time in a team of brilliant suppliers of chances for both club and country? 

Interested if people agree or disagree, maybe I am missing something.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• CostaJambo

• Nookie Bear

• fabienleclerq

Type of player who, once settled into a squad and style of play is an excellent asset. However, he needs excellent players round him who will do the hard work for him. 

Doubt he will ever reproduce his club form for England as he doesn't have the same understanding. 

Fozzyonthefence

He often looks like he can’t strike a ball properly but his speed and team mates, especially at Man City, tend to make him look good.  Composure in front of goal still very suspect, but not quite as bad as it used to be.

He was rank rotten in Euro's in 16, has improved since then but proper defenders deal with him which is partly why Man City in the CL usually get found out and England rarely beat top tier countries. 

14 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Worth well more than £50m in today’s market and still young enough to improve. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

He's brilliant. You'd never get him for £50m. Maybe £150m

Absolutely.

Superb player, he really is.

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

I’m confused? What are we agreeing or disagreeing on? 

Whether he is as good as the English media make him out to be or not basically.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Whether he is as good as the English media make him out to be or not basically.

The English media, the red tops anyhow, have been very tough on Sterling, racist pricks that they are.

Sterling’s a great player. If Harry Maguire is worth 80million, Raheem Sterling’s worth treble that. 

54 goals in 102 games with City in his last 3 seasons including this so far, plus probably 30-40 assists, easily. And he’s only 24. 

OK, I am clearly missing something here (not for the first time). What is it about Sterling's game individually that is so good rather than his team mates making his job easy?

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

He's brilliant. You'd never get him for £50m. Maybe £150m

Is the correct answer. Just look at his astonishing goals and assists stats. When he's on he floats with the ball at speed, he is very rarely injured and he's a real team player. 

10 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

OK, I am clearly missing something here (not for the first time). What is it about Sterling's game individually that is so good rather than his team mates making his job easy?

Maybe a bit of truth in that. Certainly wouldn’t look as good without David Silva, Bernardo Silva, De Bruyne and Aguero laying them on a plate for him. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Maybe a bit of truth in that. Certainly wouldn’t look as good without David Silva, Bernardo Silva, De Bruyne and Aguero laying them on a plate for him. 

Would Silva, De Bruyne or Aguero look as good without Sterling alongside them, making the runs and providing options and space?

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Would Silva, De Bruyne or Aguero look as good without Sterling alongside them, making the runs and providing options and space?

Yes. 

Biggest mistake Southgate made in the whole World Cup was taking Sterling off v Croatia. He should've taken static Kane off. Even when Sterling's not playing well, he's still a nightmare for defenders because he's so ****ing fast, so they can't ignore him. We really shot ourselves in the foot by subbing him that day.

Since then, he's come on leaps and bounds, and will continue to do so as long as Pep's around. But I wouldn't trust him in any one on one and he's still about half a level below the very best. Might well make that gap up in another year or two, though. Much to the chagrin of England's shame: our vile, racist beyond belief tabloid press.

Edited by shaun.lawson

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Sorry mate, I am really labouring the point here, but all I see in Sterling is someone who is coached relentlessly to sneak in at the back post and get on to a cross ball swept along the 6 yard box at pace. I don't think you need to be brilliant to do that and nor would I pay £ 50m for it (probably nearer £100m today). I accept he is great at finishing that type of chance but I don't see what else he brings to a team as I think his control and decision making are both poor so was just wondering if people agreed or maybe he is good at other things that I hadn't picked up on.

He’s twice the player he was for Liverpool since Pep has coached him. That’s the difference between a coach and a manager. I’d imagine Kane and Sterling are the first names on the England team sheet.

Jordan Henderson on the other hand wouldn’t be guaranteed a game for Scotland utter dugshite!

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Yes. 

Of course, and Sterling would look good without those guys, no?

De Bruyne was nowhere near his current reputation when he signed for Man City, I had no idea who Bernardo Silva was tbh, but Pep built a team where 11 top players brought out the best in each other - and that includes Sterling. 

Easy, really (when you have a bit of cash 😁)

11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Of course, and Sterling would look good without those guys, no?

De Bruyne was nowhere near his current reputation when he signed for Man City, I had no idea who Bernardo Silva was tbh, but Pep built a team where 11 top players brought out the best in each other - and that includes Sterling. 

Easy, really (when you have a bit of cash 😁)

Sterling’s not as good as those guys, he could be though, he’s still young. He doesn’t possess their level of ability when it comes to passing and decision making. He still makes poor decisions when he has too much time to think.

He has attributes which suit City, his pace and running with the ball, but they could replace him with others and still be as good or better. I wouldn’t say the same for the others mentioned as you’d be hard pressed to find better.

He’s a great player, I wouldn’t put him in the top bracket of players but nonetheless a great player who flourishes in City’s side under Pep and will continue to get better.

Edited by Cruyff Turn

Speed, rarely injured and scores a lot. These are the only three attributes to his game mentioned on this thread so far yet several posters consider him brilliant, 2 of them have nothing to do with football really and the other one could probably be said of Uche if he was starting for Man City every week! Still not seeing it. Nothing against the guy, just not understanding why he gets such an easy ride from the English media these days. Bet Messi and Ronaldo are like WTF????

chuck berrys hairline
21 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

He’s twice the player he was for Liverpool since Pep has coached him. That’s the difference between a coach and a manager. I’d imagine Kane and Sterling are the first names on the England team sheet.

Jordan Henderson on the other hand wouldn’t be guaranteed a game for Scotland utter dugshite!

Henderson was the best player on the pitch at tynie when we played them. If he's dogshxxx then what are our players ?? 🤫😂

Bazzas right boot

Really good wide player. 

Pace, direct, scores goals at a high level. 

He's not in the top bracket of players but he's very good and he's incredibly effective. 

19 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Speed, rarely injured and scores a lot. These are the only three attributes to his game mentioned on this thread so far yet several posters consider him brilliant, 2 of them have nothing to do with football really and the other one could probably be said of Uche if he was starting for Man City every week! Still not seeing it. Nothing against the guy, just not understanding why he gets such an easy ride from the English media these days. Bet Messi and Ronaldo are like WTF????

3 assists and a goal in a 5-3 win. I think it’s safe to say he offers a lot more to the team.

Not in the class of Messi or Ronaldo but perhaps as valuable to his teams as those two.

48 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If he played for us he'd be dug shite and would be booed on and off the pitch!

5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

3 assists and a goal in a 5-3 win. I think it’s safe to say he offers a lot more to the team.

Not in the class of Messi or Ronaldo but perhaps as valuable to his teams as those two.

I am 51 and quite flabby, probably even fat lol, but I could probably have scored against Kosovo. 

8 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

I am 51 and quite flabby, probably even fat lol, but I could probably have scored against Kosovo. 

Really, can you give Craig Levein a call then.

5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Really, can you give Craig Levein a call then.

Not quite sure the level of service to our forwards would be on a par with what the England midfield offers, maybe just me. 

Pasquale for King

Fantastic player, probably frustrating to watch or play with as he does still miss sitters or not pass when he should. Pep has had a good effect on him and will continue to do so. A little bit more work with his left foot wouldn’t go amiss. Seems like a good kid and a decent role model too, hated by the press for some reason.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Not quite sure the level of service to our forwards would be on a par with what the England midfield offers, maybe just me. 

We would play him at Right Wing back so it wouldn’t be an issue 🙈

He's a top player, is it because he's English some don't buy it? "cc oached to be in the right place at the right time" I wish that was an easy skill to teach. The boys been superb last couple of seasons. 

As for Champions league winning Henderson, he's captain of the best team to watch in the world atm. He plays his role pretty perfectly as well. 

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, Rudy T said:

You just announced to the world you know nothing about football. Congratulations. 

Seymour M Hersh

Mattaface was banging on about him being better than Neymar now and a future Balon Dor winner. Personally I disagree with both his statements. I also doubt, had he stayed, that he'd get a game up front for Liverpool just now. Who of Mane, Salah and Firmino would he replace? Although Klopp would also have improved him out of all recognition from the Rodgers version (as Pep has done). 

42 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Mattaface was banging on about him being better than Neymar now and a future Balon Dor winner. Personally I disagree with both his statements. I also doubt, had he stayed, that he'd get a game up front for Liverpool just now. Who of Mane, Salah and Firmino would he replace? Although Klopp would also have improved him out of all recognition from the Rodgers version (as Pep has done). 

To be fair you would have to be incredible to replace those 3.I don't see anybody better to fit into the way Liverpool play.

55 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

You just announced to the world you know nothing about football. Congratulations. 

C’mon then Pep jnr give us your insights...

2 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

He's a top player, is it because he's English some don't buy it? "cc oached to be in the right place at the right time" I wish that was an easy skill to teach. The boys been superb last couple of seasons. 

As for Champions league winning Henderson, he's captain of the best team to watch in the world atm. He plays his role pretty perfectly as well. 

The post below confirms the answer to your first question

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

No he isn't.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

He is better than Neymar right now because he is a disinterested, selfish, shambles. 

It’s well documented that the English media don’t like him and will at any opportunity have a dig, definitely racist undertones to the coverage of him.

I think he is a fantastic player, instead of hitting the wing and passing back as most modern day wingers do he tries to take players on and I think modern day defenders don’t know how to deal with that. Finishing is hit and miss but an area he has improved massively on as his stats reflect 

29 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The post below confirms the answer to your first question

Kane is better, as was Linekar, Barnes, Gazza, Hoddle, Beardsley, and Fowler. Real good players.

Sterling isn't bad, but he's not superb. Rather have Barry up front if I was English.

Edited by ri Alban