Why is Belgium so good? Maybe this .....

itsnomarooned

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Most coaches in elite leagues want defenders (and goalkeepers for that matter) to be ball players. The physical defensive stuff is secondary and to many of them, irrelevant.

Do you mean elite leagues as in elite european leagues or elite scottish leagues (at youth levels/ academies)?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Do you mean elite leagues as in elite european leagues or elite scottish leagues (at youth levels/ academies)?

Elite European leagues 

51 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

And big malky’s in the building too. Another dinosaur

Does anyone know what Mackay has done un the last year? 

Having come from nowhere, Belgium are World Champions in hockey too btw. Thanks to similar ideas at youth level. In football, they, the Dutch, Germany and France will always be trendsetters at younger levels I think. All four nations have a holistic approach; all four come up with new ideas regularly; all four have an approach based on intelligence and thinking which we'll never match.

19 hours ago, Craig_ said:

A few interesting nuggets in there. Firstly, this idea which seems to be permeating Scottish football that kids are overcoached is nonsense. Secondly, in Anderlecht they appear to have a team who're onside with the idea of developing the national game, whereas we've got the OF.

There are aspects of this which sound similar to what Hearts are doing at younger levels (smaller games, more ball-time etc), so hopefully it'll pay dividends in years to come.

One stand out for me and this is down to over coaching is- Any player with skill is berated at Scottish youth football for trying to dribble and when they lose the ball are berated by coaches.

Theres one lad I know great dribbler always gets shouted at if he beats a player and is told to pass. Luckily sometime the wee guy give the coach a rubber ear and beat two or three players and sets up or scores a goal. He finds himself on the bench a lot due to not following the instructions. That’s typical of why we produce no skilful players. Most kids these days only play organised games and during these games or training any skill is coached out of them as they need to fit the hit and chase style. That’s why we are pish in a nut shell. 

Edited by spirt of 98

18 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Michael O'Neill had one win in his first 18 games with N.Ireland. So sticking with Steve Clarke would be one thing. 

Nah Steve Clark is 5hite, pumped off Belguim so already I'm wanting rid.

(Joe King)

The consistent failing in international games has been not being able to keep the ball. 

Both England and Kosovo at times last night kept the ball either through safety first or quick confident passing. 

It's the way forward. Again we don't seem to be able to fully commit to comprehensive change with a clear vision. 

49 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I understand the thinking that brains should be encouraged over brawn, but as a fan I do still like to see the physical side of the game.

There are plenty of GIFs on here celebrating robust challenges by Hearts players in derbies. And remember Blackie's hard but completely fair challenge on Griffiths in the 2012 final - the game was won and lost at that moment, before a goal had even been scored.  

Like this? 

giphy.gif

:sweeet: