prisoner officers re opening

dryJTlaw

AngleParkMenace

Wrong end of the street for it to be a match day success. Unless they’re thinking completely out the box I can’t see it lasting unfortunately 

4 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Is this being run by the Club?

Heard on Sunday that Hearts were indeed backing this and it will only be open on matchdays. Hopefully another successful venture. 

6 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Heard on Sunday that Hearts were indeed backing this and it will only be open on matchdays. Hopefully another successful venture. 

I doubt it is, but if we were backing it, surely it would only work as an away pub ?

11 hours ago, AngleParkMenace said:

Wrong end of the street for it to be a match day success. Unless they’re thinking completely out the box I can’t see it lasting unfortunately 

Always busy before and after matches.

It will be when games aren't on that will be the problem.  Been to a few functions there and it is a cracking place for a party. 

2 hours ago, ericb said:

I doubt it is, but if we were backing it, surely it would only work as an away pub ?

Just passing on second info from taxi chat with a regular. Logistics baffle me, too, but that’s what I was told. We’ll see, but I’ve had snippets from the same guy before and most are right. 

Position the barrier correctly and away fans can be directed away from club. 

Edited by Shaggy2

Hope it has been refurbished a bit. 

Bit like a social club/community hall. 

Slow to get served as well standing in a queue one behind the other. 😏

highlandjambo3
10 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Surly this will clash with the 1874 bar on match days will it not?  Unless the bar is rammed etc.... supply and demand and all that.  Also, only opened on match days so, once a fortnight for 8-9 months if the year, don’t see how that would succeed.

portobellojambo1

Posted something in the Shed a couple of weeks back about this. It isn't reopening as The Prison Officers Club. I was told, by a former member of staff, the license has been purchased by the two brothers who have The Scotsman Lounge in Cockburn Street and at the time I posted they hadn't made a decision on whether it would function simply as a pub or be run as a social club or function suite.

6 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Just passing on second info from taxi chat with a regular. Logistics baffle me, too, but that’s what I was told. We’ll see, but I’ve had snippets from the same guy before and most are right. 

Position the barrier correctly and away fans can be directed away from club. 

Where would the barriers go exactly??

13 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Where would the barriers go exactly??

Where does it go now? I believe the police have a barrier of some kind that separates fans at cat A games and prevents away fans from accessing McLeod Street, directing them to Russell Road. We’re only talking six games that this would be an issue so I’m sure it could be resolved using what, 30 yards of additional crush barriers?

It seems to be widely accepted it is reopening, so I’m sure this has been discussed.

Edited by Shaggy2

43 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Where does it go now? I believe the police have a barrier of some kind that separates fans at cat A games and prevents away fans from accessing McLeod Street, directing them to Russell Road. We’re only talking six games that this would be an issue so I’m sure it could be resolved using what, 30 yards of additional crush barriers?

It seems to be widely accepted it is reopening, so I’m sure this has been discussed.

What Hearts fans in one side of crush barriers and Celtic fans on the other?? 🙈

4 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

What Hearts fans in one side of crush barriers and Celtic fans on the other?? 🙈

Nae need to call me out on this, it’s not up to me to police that or offer suggestions as to how to. As I said in my first contribution, I only repeated on here what I was told in my cab. Could all be BS, but it seems there’s definitely something happening so it’s PROBABLY at least partly true.

The only time I ever saw bother with this was Motherwell. Their wee neds tried to get in and were chased away. Then our wee neds had a barney with them further up the street.

23 hours ago, Section Q said:

So what's in the name then? The name always put me off....!!

The Prison officers club was originally located at the roundabout in Longstone opposite the bus garage and had been a popular place for many years, particularly prison officers given its proximity to the jail and the Housing estate which was filled mostly with the officers who worked nearby. The prison service decided it was hell bent on closing all the prison officers clubs in Scotland, this being the last one. Despite a hard fought campaign (even getting a letter from Buckingham palace saying there was no reason to close) they were forced to find a new location and moved to its current address in McLeod street. Despite being busy on match day and for functions, the club was too quiet most of the time as it was too far away from the old place and all the regular crowd diverged and went to varying different pubs. So that's how it ended up the way it did.  Not to mention a lot of infighting at the new place and money going missing, it was never going to last long. So basically a family friendly club was broken up and a community split because the prison service decided they wanted it gone, just because.

Hope that clears that up for you. 

I don't know whether there is any truth in the club being involved, but it would appear not.

Anyway, as a business opportunity it could have worked if we'd opened it up as the "Away End" only opening on match days, purposely targeting visiting supporters. We'd be as well taking the money that the Roseburn takes in on an away game. Would maybe even attract more fans of the smaller clubs if marketed properly. The only obvious concern would be the six times a season visitors who'd want to trash it.

24 minutes ago, main said:

The Prison officers club was originally located at the roundabout in Longstone opposite the bus garage and had been a popular place for many years, particularly prison officers given its proximity to the jail and the Housing estate which was filled mostly with the officers who worked nearby. The prison service decided it was hell bent on closing all the prison officers clubs in Scotland, this being the last one. Despite a hard fought campaign (even getting a letter from Buckingham palace saying there was no reason to close) they were forced to find a new location and moved to its current address in McLeod street. Despite being busy on match day and for functions, the club was too quiet most of the time as it was too far away from the old place and all the regular crowd diverged and went to varying different pubs. So that's how it ended up the way it did.  Not to mention a lot of infighting at the new place and money going missing, it was never going to last long. So basically a family friendly club was broken up and a community split because the prison service decided they wanted it gone, just because.

I imagine they wanted to sell the land for housing or similar. 

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I imagine they wanted to sell the land for housing or similar. 

Possibly although I don't think they can replace the actual club itself with housing as its almost right on the burn so would have been pointless.  

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, main said:

You’re spot on with this information.

jambos are go!

The club was originally situated at Stenhouse  in the lane that runs along the Water of Leith  from Stenhouse  to the Longstone  Inn. Think it moved to the bigger premises at the Bus Station in the 1970s

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

The club was originally situated at Stenhouse  in the lane that runs along the Water of Leith  from Stenhouse  to the Longstone  Inn. Think it moved to the bigger premises at the Bus Station in the 1970s

Correct.

1 hour ago, main said:

I believe one night there was only one person in their cell.

On 10/09/2019 at 01:48, Last Laff said:

Return of the pool team? Shandon has robbed the best players from OC and Diane’s anyways. 

Is Dianes still open? I heard that it was to close.

Not played there in almost 30 years :eek:

4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

No. Irish bar called Malone's now.

Perth to Paisley

Would really like an independent coffee section where you could buy espresso (with grappa or similar) 

Anyone who asked for coffee with milk or extra water would be immediately barred.

When I become First Minister one of my first actions will be to ban Coffee chains.

49 minutes ago, Marvin said:

2 of its pool tables survived and are now in Eastside in George Street 

If scottish football, in fact just Scotland in general wasn't so backwards it could be a bar for home and away fans to mingle, except hibs, celtic and probably rangers too as that would be asking for trouble, but everyone else why not?. Been to many Newcastle pubs where the fans drink together and never seen any trouble. If you can't have a pint and chat football with someone just because they support a different team you're a fud.

All roads lead to Gorgie

It is such a drab looking building from the outside. It needs doing up to get enough people in outside of match days even then the proper pubs in Gorgie are more of a draw for me. 

On 10/09/2019 at 13:11, portobellojambo1 said:

Posted something in the Shed a couple of weeks back about this. It isn't reopening as The Prison Officers Club. I was told, by a former member of staff, the license has been purchased by the two brothers who have The Scotsman Lounge in Cockburn Street and at the time I posted they hadn't made a decision on whether it would function simply as a pub or be run as a social club or function suite.

Boys own Kilted Pig 

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

Boys own Kilted Pig 

Think someone on the other thread said they have both places pal, and then someone else at work said so also.. At that stage I honestly didn't know they had either.