Roy Keane/Gary Neville Interview (NHMFC)

Armageddon

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

He never said who it was.  Thanks.

Was Knox with him at st Mirren as well? 

No just Aberdeen. Ferguson said the above was about training, Knox told him to leave it to him, but in a match I think he was always about observation. He got rid of Beckham because he told him v Arsenal he didnt track back, he showed him on video and Beckham still disagreed, then he sold him.

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

No just Aberdeen. Ferguson said the above was about training, Knox told him to leave it to him, but in a match I think he was always about observation. He got rid of Beckham because he told him v Arsenal he didnt track back, he showed him on video and Beckham still disagreed, then he sold him.

I mind him saying that if there is anything or anyone holding you back, get rid of it or them.  He did show no mercy.  I think he's a fascinating character.  Love hearing him talk about leadership

rudi must stay

I mind him saying that if there is anything or anyone holding you back, get rid of it or them.  He did show no mercy.  I think he's a fascinating character.  Love hearing him talk about leadership

Ye or challenging you as a leader, he says that idea cost him a few titles and trophies but didn't regret it

Roy Keane is my all time favourite football player. Everything you want in your team, and everything you don't want to come up against. Its a proper shit cliche but they actually don't make them like him anymore.

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Ye or challenging you as a leader, he says that idea cost him a few titles and trophies but didn't regret it

He did say he was baffled by beckham going to LA.  Did he not say in the past that his biggest mistake player wise was getting rid of Jaap Stam too soon.

27 years at Manchester United is some feat.  

2 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Roy Keane is my all time favourite football player. Everything you want in your team, and everything you don't want to come up against. Its a proper shit cliche but they actually don't make them like him anymore.

I wonder why he hasn't cracked the management game? You think he won't make it as a manager now? Said he doesn't mind being an assistant at international level but couldn't do it at club level.  Said he only done it at Nottingham forest because of O'Neil 

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

He did say he was baffled by beckham going to LA.  Did he not say in the past that his biggest mistake player wise was getting rid of Jaap Stam too soon.

27 years at Manchester United is some feat.  

Stam is the one he is referring to IMO

That is what is interesting about Ferguson, he is very humble and says after Beckham left Real he expected him to go back to Man Utd. 

Shows the man's work ethic absolutely. Workaholic

42 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I wonder why he hasn't cracked the management game? You think he won't make it as a manager now? Said he doesn't mind being an assistant at international level but couldn't do it at club level.  Said he only done it at Nottingham forest because of O'Neil 

I don't think the way he would drive a team on the pitch is what you need as a manager. I doubt he has the patience with players. I don't really know.

2 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

I don't think the way he would drive a team on the pitch is what you need as a manager. I doubt he has the patience with players. I don't really know.

I think his not suffering fools gladly means he loses patience rather than try to inspire then and maybe just not a good coach.  

rudi must stay
6 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

He has similarities with Di Canio, a humongous and unstoppable ego. I wouldn't think many players would want to play for that

I remember reading an interview a few years ago, and a former player was talking about how Keane was trying to ‘do a Fergie’ in the dressing room at Sunderland, or wherever. Apparently he was trying to scream at the players and intimidate them. Saha apparently sat there with his headphones on and completely blanked him as he raved away like a lunatic in the background. 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I remember reading an interview a few years ago, and a former player was talking about how Keane was trying to ‘do a Fergie’ in the dressing room at Sunderland, or wherever. Apparently he was trying to scream at the players and intimidate them. Saha apparently sat there with his headphones on and completely blanked him as he raved away like a lunatic in the background. 

He says in his book he had a tactics board he'd kick down so the players would get a laugh. I suppose he wouldn't say the above, there certainly don't seem to be many laughs with 'Keano'

3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

From the world cup situation with Ireland, fergie etc,  it's never his fault.  

From the world cup situation with Ireland, fergie etc,  it's never his fault.  

Ireland did so well in that World Cup without him too. If he’d not been such a bellend, who knows how much further they might have gone.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

Not as hard as he makes out though.

He done a dodgy tackle on someone in the second viera game, Martin keown run up to him and he shiit himself.  He had a look of pure fear in his eyes.

Ha ha. No chance. 

Two key games stick out that other players bottled it v Keane. David's '99. Keane knew he was missing the final (harshly) but totally ragdolled David's despite Juve going  two up. 

Vieira at Highbury. Vieira and Lauren tried to noise up Neville in the tunnel. Keane got wind of it from the changing rooms, confronted Vieira and dominated the game again. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Ha ha. No chance. 

Two key games stick out that other players bottled it v Keane. David's '99. Keane knew he was missing the final (harshly) but totally ragdolled David's despite Juve going  two up. 

Vieira at Highbury. Vieira and Lauren tried to noise up Neville in the tunnel. Keane got wind of it from the changing rooms, confronted Vieira and dominated the game again. 

That's the game, but there was an incident where it kicked off near the touchline and he looked like he bottled it from keown.  My money is on keown winning that fight.  Though I didn't know about his boxing past  

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

Not watched it yet, but Keane has previously come across as someone with the IQ of a peanut and similar tactical knowledge. I’d also question his “bravery” as he always liked to get the sneaky ones in, or the ones like Haaland (sp). He never seemed so brave face to face. 

The one on Haaland was always coming after what Haaland and Wetherall got up to at Leeds when Keane suffered the long term injury. 

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

He's a terrible manager because he's an odious piece of shit. He even ****ed Ireland up merely as assistant. That should be impossible for an assistant to pull off, but he did it. A bitter, twisted thug - celebrated throughout British football for his thuggery.

"I'd waited long enough. I ****ing hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you ^^^^. And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries".

Delightful. Those who laud Keane for "telling it like it is" are the same kind of people who vote for the likes of Trump for "telling it like it is".

13 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

He's a terrible manager because he's an odious piece of shit. He even ****ed Ireland up merely as assistant. That should be impossible for an assistant to pull off, but he did it. A bitter, twisted thug - celebrated throughout British football for his thuggery.

"I'd waited long enough. I ****ing hit him hard. The ball was there (I think). Take that you ^^^^. And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries".

Delightful. Those who laud Keane for "telling it like it is" are the same kind of people who vote for the likes of Trump for "telling it like it is".

Graeme Souness is a serious football man and rarely cracks a smile doing his pundit gig. However, he comes across as approachable and someone you can extend a discussion with and debate points with.

Keane comes across as too stern, almost a bit weird.  You sense others around him are uncomfortable when doing the World Cup, Euros etc... punditry alongside him. 

21 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

Not as hard as he makes out though.

He done a dodgy tackle on someone in the second viera game, Martin keown run up to him and he shiit himself.  He had a look of pure fear in his eyes.

In one of the games Vieira and Keown tried to double team and out of nowhere this defender sprints 40 yards and pushes Roy out the way and goes head to head with Vieira and then gives Keown it too the defender I'll let u guess but a feckin nutter nonetheless 😂

40 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

In one of the games Vieira and Keown tried to double team and out of nowhere this defender sprints 40 yards and pushes Roy out the way and goes head to head with Vieira and then gives Keown it too the defender I'll let u guess but a feckin nutter nonetheless 😂

Three guesses?

42 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Vidic? 

13 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

He's a terrible manager because he's an odious piece of shit. He even ****ed Ireland up merely as assistant.

Keane did a remarkable job at Sunderland and even his stint at Ipswich doesn't look that bad now.

How did he mess up Ireland?

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

Keane did a remarkable job at Sunderland and even his stint at Ipswich doesn't look that bad now.

He made the point that, the backers that were paying his and o'Neil's wages had stopped doing so and that's why the ifa were wanting rid of them.  He admitted he was on a very good deal with Ireland.

8 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

He made the point that, the backers that were paying his and o'Neil's wages had stopped doing so and that's why the ifa were wanting rid of them.  He admitted he was on a very good deal with Ireland.

I know, I've watched it. Not sure how that means he "****ed Ireland up".

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I’ll say stam

Edited by 1874robbo

1 minute ago, Darren said:

I know, I've watched it. Not sure how that means he "****ed Ireland up".

I dont think he did. Just pointing out that's why they got rid of them, not because they fecked them up.  As he said, qualification and a play off.  

rudi must stay
40 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Potentially more interesting imo than Keane there was the snippets from Neville. Guy talks sense about everything for me. 

He seems a clever man yes. Great attitude, Phil seems the same. Both are real do-ers who have made something of themselves but are pretty down to earth. Pretty much optimising what Sir Alex Ferguson was after

Really enjoyed that. Thought they both came across really well. Had a bit of a problem with Keane's attitude about SAF when the latter was really ill but in hindsight all he was doing was being true to himself. I get the impression that Keane will not ever compromise on his most important principles and that's what makes him different. Great viewing and thanks to the OP for sharing.

8 hours ago, Darren said:

His stint at Ipswich was a disaster. He was given money there. No other manager was. Sunderland? Fair enough, albeit he spent epic amounts.

As for Ireland... 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/09/10/leaked-message-roy-keanes-foul-mouthed-argument-harry-arter/

Ireland are not a country which can afford to go around alienating several players. Keane did there what he did to McCarthy as well. He never learns a blind thing.

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

His stint at Ipswich was a disaster. He was given money there. No other manager was. Sunderland? Fair enough, albeit he spent epic amounts.

As for Ireland... 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/09/10/leaked-message-roy-keanes-foul-mouthed-argument-harry-arter/

Ireland are not a country which can afford to go around alienating several players. Keane did there what he did to McCarthy as well. He never learns a blind thing.

A 50% success rate and he's a terrible manager? A lot of them going around, then.

I'm still not sure how Keane having a barney with a few players and promptly departing two months later has "****ed Ireland up". They're unbeaten and top of their group in the Euro 2020 qualifiers.

8 minutes ago, Darren said:

A 50% success rate and he's a terrible manager? A lot of them going around, then.

I'm still not sure how Keane having a barney with a few players and promptly departing two months later has "****ed Ireland up". They're unbeaten and top of their group in the Euro 2020 qualifiers.

****ed them up so they spent a year embarrassing themselves on the pitch, turning off the fans and looking like the worst Ireland side since the 1960s. Then exit MON and Keane; re-enter McCarthy's practical common sense and crucially, empathy with his players... and hence, their revival. 

On 09/09/2019 at 22:03, shaun.lawson said:

Wouldnt mind someone doing that to Morelos or Brown, mind. 

On the manager thing, I recall another manager saying that Keane fails as a boss because he doesn’t have the patience to build and develop a squad and just wants everything to click right away. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Wouldnt mind someone doing that to Morelos or Brown, mind. 

On the manager thing, I recall another manager saying that Keane fails as a boss because he doesn’t have the patience to build and develop a squad and just wants everything to click right away. 

He's way, way, way too intense for his own good. 

****ed them up so they spent a year embarrassing themselves on the pitch, turning off the fans and looking like the worst Ireland side since the 1960s. Then exit MON and Keane; re-enter McCarthy's practical common sense and crucially, empathy with his players... and hence, their revival. 

You'll have to wait until the end of the qualifying campaign to say revival.  They got to the finals of a tournament and a play off.  I'd love the Scotland team to be the worst in decades if we get that far.  

They've recovered very quickly from being ****ed up.

Keane's obviously a nasty piece of work but he's done all right in management. 

It will be interesting to see how he gets on in another post.

26 minutes ago, Darren said:

They've recovered very quickly from being ****ed up.

Keane's obviously a nasty piece of work but he's done all right in management. 

It will be interesting to see how he gets on in another post.

He said that he wants to get back into management with a suitable club.  I wonder were that'll be? No chance of a top flight English club and he wont vote as low as league one.  That means a championship side or abroad.  It won't be abroad due to him liking family life and I'm not sure which championship club will want him after Ipswich.  Maybe look at Scotland as a way back in? 

I'm not sure he find getting back into management easy 

Interesting to hear Jonathan Walters side of the 'story' that Keano is putting about.  I reckon my money would be on Walters if it ever came to a square go between him and Keane.  

10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don't like Keane as a person but do think he'd have been a very successful manager in the 90's early 2000's but football has changed so much and the nando eating instagram footballers of today just won't respond well to the kind of demands Keane would want from his players, it would be the same for Ferguson if he was starting out in todays game.

On 09/09/2019 at 13:57, Cruyff Turn said:

Same. I’d love Roy Keane as manager here. He sets the bar too high at times but that’s what could be needed. 

I was never ever a Man Utd fan but if I was ever to choose the greatest captain of any team in my lifetime, it would be Roy Keane,  the type of man you’d want beside you in the trenches.

Could hear others equally taking the pish out of Keane's managerial career. How many trophies Roy? 

Always interesting to hear and a lot to offer. Just unlikely to find anything in football.