Roy Keane/Gary Neville Interview (NHMFC)

Armageddon

Watched this at the weekend.  Always find this kind of thing interesting.

I think deep down there is love between Keane and Fergie.  Respect certainly.

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Keane with no prospect in future of management, reverting to shock jock for work?

I think it's a case he just speaks the truth from his perspective.  I'd take him at us in half a second.

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Keane with no prospect in future of management, reverting to shock jock for work?

It seemed kinda genuine to me.

I absolutely despised him as a player but I have to say I don't mind him now.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I think it's a case he just speaks the truth from his perspective.  I'd take him at us in half a second.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

It seemed kinda genuine to me.

I absolutely despised him as a player but I have to say I don't mind him now.

Havent watched it myself. Noticed he was on ITV on Saturday again, no politics with him that's for sure

I would want to hear Fergies account of the 'video' and the 'statement' however.

You gotta love Fergie though, a leader who done things on his terms.  The fact he is still called the 'gaffer' by everyone who worked under him says it all to me.

Watched the whole thing at the weekend.  It was brilliant.  I liked how he even joked about himself with the another one on the list line.  I heard John Walters say the other day that he laid into him for crying on TV about losing his brother.  A bit much that.  

Not as hard as he makes out though.

He done a dodgy tackle on someone in the second viera game, Martin keown run up to him and he shiit himself.  He had a look of pure fear in his eyes.

34 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Same. I’d love Roy Keane as manager here. He sets the bar too high at times but that’s what could be needed. 

I was never ever a Man Utd fan but if I was ever to choose the greatest captain of any team in my lifetime, it would be Roy Keane,  the type of man you’d want beside you in the trenches.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Keane would be a great player on your team, probably won games before kick off and must be the worst to play against 

Not watched it yet, but Keane has previously come across as someone with the IQ of a peanut and similar tactical knowledge. I’d also question his “bravery” as he always liked to get the sneaky ones in, or the ones like Haaland (sp). He never seemed so brave face to face. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

He done a dodgy tackle on someone in the second viera game, Martin keown run up to him and he shiit himself.  He had a look of pure fear in his eyes.

Tbf, Martin Keon has all the characteristics of a serial killer. 

Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I wish I could find the footage.  He committed the tackle at the edge of the pitch.  You're right about keown 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, benny said:

Think Ferguson has a lot of skeletons in the cupboard.

The part about his son and brother was class.

The thing with Ferguson is he was like a robot decision making IMO, he didn't make them on a wim and he was usually right. You can't argue Keane was past his best when they got rid of him, Ferguson got rid of him: fair enough.  

As for his family: maybe they were good at their jobs, you'd need to be working for Ferguson.

Keane is like a dog chasing a bone

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Same. I’d love Roy Keane as manager here. He sets the bar too high at times but that’s what could be needed. 

I was never ever a Man Utd fan but if I was ever to choose the greatest captain of any team in my lifetime, it would be Roy Keane,  the type of man you’d want beside you in the trenches.

100%

Imagine the boot up the arse the players would get.

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

The thing with Ferguson is he was like a robot decision making IMO, he didn't make them on a wim and he was usually right. You can't argue Keane was past his best when they got rid of him, Ferguson got rid of him: fair enough.  

As for his family: maybe they were good at their jobs, you'd need to be working for Ferguson.

Keane is like a dog chasing a bone

Was there not some dodgy agent stuff one of his sons was in a while ago?  

2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

100%

Imagine the boot up the arse the players would get.

He'd probably boot the fans up the arse as well.  One boo and he would be straight in the stands.

2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Sure it involved Sam allardyce?

1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

He'd probably boot the fans up the arse as well.  One boo and he would be straight in the stands.

Good.. Loads of the fans need a boot up the arse too.

😉

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

Ferguson slammed the documentary as a disgrace, unbalanced. And banned the BBC for years

The stuff with the old owners and their race horses is more interesting. He had a very cushy deal with them which as Keane said and challenged him on was not in the interests of the club..

Just now, 1874robbo said:

I vaguely remember Sam being involved.

Do they not have enough money.  They forget it's our money they are taking. 

Just now, 1874robbo said:

Yeah, he was heavily involved in agent scam stuff.

Alex Ferguson will have made a giant pile of money through Man Utd players.

Keane could definitely look after himself tbf.

he was quite an accomplished boxer I’m sure.

Just now, rudi must stay said:

Ferguson slammed the documentary as a disgrace, unbalanced. And banned the BBC for years

The stuff with the old owners and their race horses is more interesting. He had a very cushy deal with them which as Keane said and challenged him on was not in the interests of the club..

Yeah, didn't he essentially steal the horse or something?

Watched the whole thing at the weekend.  It was brilliant.  I liked how he even joked about himself with the another one on the list line.  I heard John Walters say the other day that he laid into him for crying on TV about losing his brother.  A bit much that.  

The Walter comments were well out of order. 

Just now, rudi must stay said:

I watched an interview with fergie after the Keane one.  The one with the American business students and was thinking about that.  Was it the Magner family he was up against?  I think he lost the case, and wasn't it a million he was after?

rudi must stay
Just now, Lovecraft said:

Yeah, didn't he essentially steal the horse or something?

It's interesting stuff if you look into it, he owned horses with them. And Keane was bang on mentioning it, but as I said by that time he was rubbish, so they promptly released him. Would have been interesting if he was still a good player

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The Walter comments were well out of order. 

There's playing up to the image, which he admitted in the interview, but that's getting carried away with being himself.

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I watched an interview with fergie after the Keane one.  The one with the American business students and was thinking about that.  Was it the Magner family he was up against?  I think he lost the case, and wasn't it a million he was after?

Read an article there. Keane warned him to back off in a dispute with them. In a dispute with the owners over a race horses though, as the OP says skeletons..

the dispute with John magnier with the horse was to do with royalties from putting it out to stud if I remember right?

it was a great Horse!

Rock of Gibraltar 

I'm not claiming to be Roy Keane (haha) but I had a massive fall out with a guy in a specific field that everybody claimed was the best that ever lived, this claim comes from people who only see what he does for a short period, but I was in that close circle who lived it - the guy was great at what he done and great at getting the best performance out of you ... but ultimately a prick of the highest order, a fraud, a bully, a racist, a thief and a user - I've always filed Fergie under that same type of figure.  I became brave as a senior figure in the group and he ended up dropping me - biggest scandal for a long long time as I was his strongest in the group.

Edited by Armageddon

rudi must stay
14 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I'm not claiming to be Roy Keane (haha) but I had a massive fall out with a guy in a specific field that everybody claimed was the best that ever lived, this claim comes from people who only see what he does for a short period, but I was in that close circle who lived it - the guy was great at what he done and great at getting the best performance out of you ... but ultimately a prick of the highest order, a fraud, a bully, a racist, a thief and a user - I've always filed Fergie under that same type of figure.  I became brave as a senior figure in the group and he ended up dropping me - biggest scandal for a long long time as I was his strongest in the group.

I also had a boss who was successful, 95% approval from the customers, it was a restaurant. But the same as you mention, he was a total fraud and the worst guy I've met in my life, he could turn the charm on as well, but the figures made him look good. I also think of Ferguson in the same way, and the more I read about him the more I think that. 

rudi must stay
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Keane and Neville, a couple of pricks.

The disrespect both show the man asking the questions certainly doesn't impress

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

It's interesting stuff if you look into it, he owned horses with them. And Keane was bang on mentioning it, but as I said by that time he was rubbish, so they promptly released him. Would have been interesting if he was still a good player

Keane knew he was not good enough.

It was the way they went about getting rid of him that caused the fallout.

The watching of the Middlesbrough game and his comments being used as an excuse to get rid of him that way.

The club has no money to pay him off was a joke as well.

Guest ToqueJambo

Keane going down the Michael Stewart approach to punditry I see. I'm not a huge fan of Keane, Ferguson (despite being the best manager Hearts almost had) or Ronaldo but Ferguson generally knew what he was doing and players generally loved him for it, see video below.

He had an uncanny ability to know when a player's time was up. While Keane moved to Celtic and bombed completely scurrying back south with his tail between his legs, Ferguson just got on with winning even more league and CL titles for Man Utd. For Keane to suggest Ferguson didn't have the club's best interests at heart is bizarre. And his admission he didn't let bygones be bygones just for one minute to check in with him when Ferguson was ill recently doesn't reflect well on Keane.

Keane makes out that he was abandoned by man utd. They paid up his deal(£3m) and then gave him a testimonial at the end of the season. Takes issue with a lot of things that he had no problem with when he wrote his first book. He’s going down the route of becoming a parody. Which his 2nd book backs up.   

The 3 years after he left consisted off 3 leagues and a champs league. I just think he’s never accepted that he wasnt needed

Great player tho.  3 year period from 99-02 when he was in the top 3 players in the world

rudi must stay
42 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Keane going down the Michael Stewart approach to punditry I see. I'm not a huge fan of Keane, Ferguson (despite being the best manager Hearts almost had) or Ronaldo but Ferguson generally knew what he was doing and players generally loved him for it, see video below.

He had an uncanny ability to know when a player's time was up. While Keane moved to Celtic and bombed completely scurrying back south with his tail between his legs, Ferguson just got on with winning even more league and CL titles for Man Utd. For Keane to suggest Ferguson didn't have the club's best interests at heart is bizarre. And his admission he didn't let bygones be bygones just for one minute to check in with him when Ferguson was ill recently doesn't reflect well on Keane.

Yes that was in poor taste. Ferguson did and would get rid of anyone and the likes of Neville, Cantona and Giggs, were bright enough to realise that and as you say just got on with it. Keane possibly thought shouting and balling would keep him at Man Utd and it didn't, Rio Ferdinand had the same situation and dealt with it far better. Ferguson as he said was all about observation from day 1, for any budding managers his book is an essential read :thumbsup:

Ferguson was a great manager but lets not pretend he did not use that power to give jobs to family and friends as well as 'assisting' his sons managerial career whether or not that was good for Manchester United

When you are successful people turn away from the truth failing to question when they should and when the odd person did question he was not averse to using that power to damage careers especially in the press

PS his pub in Paisley was crap

Edited by CJGJ

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Ferguson was a great manager but lets not pretend he did not use that power to give jobs to family and friends as well as 'assisting' his sons managerial career whether or not that was good for Manchester United

When you are successful people turn away from the truth failing to question when they should and when the odd person did question he was not averse to using that power to damage careers especially in the press

PS his pub in Paisley was crap

To be fair Man Utd won the league both seasons his son played for them so it didn't exactly hurt the team! Folk are always going to throw around the nepotism charge whenever that happens though. 

Ferguson knew how to handle players and Keane sounds a little bitter, imo. Probably from the fact Fergie could deal with him.

One massive character getting the better of another. Was never going to end with coffee and French fancies. 

Theres no doubt though what a player and winner Keane was. That’s why Fergie signed him.

Played the same way whether it was Liverpool or Luton he was against. 

56 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Yes that was in poor taste. Ferguson did and would get rid of anyone and the likes of Neville, Cantona and Giggs, were bright enough to realise that and as you say just got on with it. Keane possibly thought shouting and balling would keep him at Man Utd and it didn't, Rio Ferdinand had the same situation and dealt with it far better. Ferguson as he said was all about observation from day 1, for any budding managers his book is an essential read :thumbsup:

In one of the interviews I watched the other night, Ferguson said it was a coach at Aberdeen who suggested that, rather than be on the park coaching all the time, he should step back and observe more. Said it was the best thing he done.  

rudi must stay
6 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

In one of the interviews I watched the other night, Ferguson said it was a coach at Aberdeen who suggested that, rather than be on the park coaching all the time, he should step back and observe more. Said it was the best thing he done.  

Archie Knox