• Bazzas right boot

• Sagan

• Boab

8 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Periera

Smith Souttar Berra Hickey

Naismith Whelan Haring Walker 

Washington Ikpeazu

Naismith needs to be more central imo. Either up front or centre attacking mid.

i think when everyone is fit we have an ideal squad for 3-5-2. With Smith, halkett and souttar the 3. Would allow for width with wing backs (probably Hickey and  Mulraney) with Halkett being mobile enough to push up when we are attacking. 

I would also also try and stick to one formation. Chopping and changing means players don’t look like they know what they’re doing at times.

Edited by GinRummy

16 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

2) The club’s turnover has more than doubled in the last five years. That can give us a fantastic advantage over other clubs in the coming seasons.

More than doubled?  Is this actually true?

7 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

More than doubled?  Is this actually true?

Yes, to the best of my memory. Give me a few minutes and I’ll look out some links...

https://www.scribd.com/doc/241784500/Hearts-Annual-Accounts-2013

£7.342m - 2013?

Couldn’t find a figure for 2018. Think we are up at about c£15m though, no?

I realise turnover isn’t the absolute measure of success, but doubling it in five/six years certainly doesn’t suggest a business in decline.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Someone more learned than me will know more on the subject but wasn’t the 7.5m turnover figure artificially low due to what the club was going through that year?

I’d always  (perhaps wrongly) thought of our turnover from around that period as being circa £10 million.

* Still very impressive to get it up to £15 million this year 👏🏻

3 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Someone more learned than me will know more on the subject but wasn’t the 7.5m turnover figure artificially low due to what the club was going through that year?

I’d always  (perhaps wrongly) thought of our turnover from around that period as being circa £10 million.

* Still very impressive to get it up to £15 million this year 👏🏻

I’m very far from learned in such matters myself. I just search and read, and try to understand the bits that I can. I think those accounts showed turnover that was down on the year previous though.

The period between 2012 and 2014 was a lot of highs and lows though, so things might look artificially good or bad compared to reality due things like the cup win, the rallying call, the administration and the relegation. 

The Cat

Smith

Souttar

Halkett

Hickey

Mulraney

Whelan

Damour

Walker

Naismith

Washington

This would be my team if (and it’s a huge if) we get everyone fit. 

12 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I’m very far from learned in such matters myself. I just search and read, and try to understand the bits that I can. I think those accounts showed turnover that was down on the year previous though.

The period between 2012 and 2014 was a lot of highs and lows though, so things might look artificially good or bad compared to reality due things like the cup win, the rallying call, the administration and the relegation. 

Although the 17/18 accounts showed turnover at £12.1m, I think this may be the article you were referring to.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2019/01/07/Finance/Heart-of-Midlothian.aspx

2 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

Although the 17/18 accounts showed turnover at £12.1m, I think this may be the article you were referring to.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2019/01/07/Finance/Heart-of-Midlothian.aspx

Thanks 👍

Yeah that might have been it. This part seems to suggest I got the figures/dates wrong, but points towards a doubling of our turnover nonetheless:

“Since I came in we have budgeted every year to make a small profit -- and we have achieved that. As a sign of how far we have come in the last few years, turnover was £6.5 million when I took over and this year we are looking to do not much shy of £14 million. We are in a very good place"

Jig how can you add a centre back pairing of soapy and halkett, was not impressed at all defensively with Halkett v Hamilton, Steve Clarke obviously felt same.

I thought the youth development system was full of untried and unproven people and that the return on the £4m investment was very poor so far.  But I spotted Donald Park at the airport with the other youth coaches the other day and realised that we have at least one person who has produced some good young players in his career.

MarkDevriesScores4

A positive for me (some may not agree) is the progression Jake Mulraney has made and continues to get better game by game. I rate the lad and if he can get a bit more control of his speed on the ball, he’ll give defenders a headache time and time again.

23 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We have a decent squad. Now we need a better manager to make them play as a team.

Who, exactly?

All roads lead to Gorgie

The positive for me is we now have plenty seasoned pros who will surely have enough professional pride in them to drag our performaces up. If they don't want to do that for Levein surely they will try harder for their team mates. 

On 07/09/2019 at 15:50, GinRummy said:

I think white will turn out out to be a very shrewd signing.

Walker will score goals.

Hickey and Irving will be key players.

Washington will be a quality addition when not played up top on his own.

whelan is class.

halkett will be a hearts captain of the future, 

100%.

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Read the OP ffs. 🙄

to be fair, he's never said any positive before on here so why would he start now.

4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

to be fair, he's never said any positive before on here so why would he start now.

It’s just tedious though, isn’t it? The point in your thread is to talk about something else, other than the same Levein and Budge whining that infects every other thread. You said it in your OP. In it slithers though... another thread straight down the shitter.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

It’s just tedious though, isn’t it? The point in your thread is to talk about something else, other than the same Levein and Budge whining that infects every other thread. You said it in your OP. In it slithers though... another thread straight down the shitter.

Completely agree. Though backs up my view that some people revel in misery and being able to moan about something.

10 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Thanks 👍

Yeah that might have been it. This part seems to suggest I got the figures/dates wrong, but points towards a doubling of our turnover nonetheless:

“Since I came in we have budgeted every year to make a small profit -- and we have achieved that. As a sign of how far we have come in the last few years, turnover was £6.5 million when I took over and this year we are looking to do not much shy of £14 million. We are in a very good place"

Turnover has certainly increased which is great, we have taken some things in house which helps on that front. Hospitality is now in house.

11 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Completely agree. Though backs up my view that some people revel in misery and being able to moan about something.

Some folk love to wallow in misery.

10 hours ago, graygo said:

Turnover has certainly increased which is great, we have taken some things in house which helps on that front. Hospitality is now in house.

Definitely. Some things taken in house, but also a few things expanded and improved. £1m increase in non-football revenue? Absolutely incredible. No sign of things reversing any time soon either. 

I think the positives are well written.  Decent looking squad, a rapidly improving academy structure, solid financial base with increased revenue for club via new stand etc.  The negative is a manager with outdated ideas.  

11 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The age of cynicism.

For me the day out of going to the football. Go with the old man to the pub, walk along Dalry to Gorgie and see the fans making their way Into the stadium & catching up with mates. Seeing the famous on the park. Pub after to whinge about referees. 

I love it. I'm gutted when we're beaten, but as a jambo I'm more than used to it. 😂

Two seasons in my life we've looked like we could win the league and been relegated once. 

I'll take everything with a pinch of salt aslong as I have my team to watch. 😁

Edited by Blacky87

14 hours ago, Prof said:

Positive! Joint bottom of the SPFL and you think that’s good.

It would be difficult to be positive if we were bottom of League 2, admittedly.

Lots to be positive about. 

The club is financially secure.

Some good young players coming in. 

We have the best squad of players we've had for many years.

Reached a semi final and a final (which we were very unlucky to lose) last year. 

Still in the cup this year.

We have a good manager who will come good with a little luck (which he's not had).

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Darren said:

It would be difficult to be positive if we were bottom of League 2, admittedly.

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Spoleto said:

Lots to be positive about. 

The club is financially secure.

Some good young players coming in. 

We have the best squad of players we've had for many years.

Reached a semi final and a final (which we were very unlucky to lose) last year. 

Still in the cup this year.

We have a good manager who will come good with a little luck (which he's not had).

Started off reasonable and I agree with most of it. Buy went a bit crazy on the last one.

He's had plenty of luck. For example, look at last seasons cup draw and he's also managed to get a job that he can't get sacked from. Look at the results he's dished out and hardly a peep of criticism from the board.

Results, style and performance of the team show he's not a good manager. Even with the luck he's had.

At least the Hearts in my dreams were pretty good last night. We beat Motherwell 3-0 then Hibs 3-1 at ER. 

I hate that alarm clock. 

WheatfieldWarrior
4 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Started off reasonable and I agree with most of it. Buy went a bit crazy on the last one.

He's had plenty of luck. For example, look at last seasons cup draw and he's also managed to get a job that he can't get sacked from. Look at the results he's dished out and hardly a peep of criticism from the board.

Results, style and performance of the team show he's not a good manager. Even with the luck he's had.

I would have taken Hibs, Rangers, Aberdeen and Celtic in the cup over having most of the best players injured for nearly a whole year now.  On balance I don't think we have been lucky - far from it in fact. The results with the first XI fit at the start of last season were excellent.

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, martoon said:

At least the Hearts in my dreams were pretty good last night. We beat Motherwell 3-0 then Hibs 5-1 at ER. 

I hate that alarm clock. 

Better like this :)

Francis Albert

For me the only possible answer to the OP is "things can only get better" as far as performances and results are concerned, but of course that is a hope rather than solid expectation.

As for the turnover … that is positive if  it is reflected in increased net revenue or profit. On that we shall see but if on-field performance and results do not improve I think we may be disappointed on that score too. 

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

For me the only possible answer to the OP is "things can only get better" as far as performances and results are concerned, but of course that is a hope rather than solid expectation.

As for the turnover … that is positive if  it is reflected in increased net revenue or profit. On that we shall see but if on-field performance and results do not improve I think we may be disappointed on that score too. 

We would be doing ourselves damage if we tried to run at a significant profit. Break even or small profit is the way to go in football. Also, there is no way our turnover will be significantly down on last years’.

Guest ToqueJambo

Good squad

Very good first team with everyone fit

Good owner

Great youth system, Hickey and Irving being the latest examples

Great stadium with no uncertainty around it anymore

FoH

Still in both cups

We're only 4 games in

Steven Naismith

Not Hibs

No real deadwood left in the squad

We surely can't play any worse than Ross County and Hamilton

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Good squad

Very good first team with everyone fit

Good owner

Great youth system, Hickey and Irving being the latest examples

Great stadium with no uncertainty around it anymore

FoH

Still in both cups

We're only 4 games in

Steven Naismith

Not Hibs

No real deadwood left in the squad

We surely can't play any worse than Ross County and Hamilton

:spoton:

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

We would be doing ourselves damage if we tried to run at a significant profit. Break even or small profit is the way to go in football. Also, there is no way our turnover will be significantly down on last years’.

Yes. I meant that the non-football activities need to not just increase turnover but operate profitably for the benefit of the football side of the business. If they simply increase turnover but break even then they  are not helping  the football side of the business which for me is what matters. In the 60s the social club increased turnover but lost money and proved a drain on the football side. I am not saying history will repeat itself just that increased turnover in itself does not equate to success. 

Edited by Francis Albert

We_are_the_Hearts

One man (fastly becoming a stubborn woman as well) stopping all the positives. We are shite to watch, the match day experience at Tynie is shite, our results are shite. 

Edited by We_are_the_Hearts

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

One man (fastly becoming a stubborn woman as well) stopping all the positives. We are shite to watch, the match day experience at Tynie is shite, our results are shite. 

And you think that's cheerful and  positive? 

We_are_the_Hearts
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

And you think that's cheerful and  positive? 

There is nothing to be cheerful or positive about while Levein remains in charge. He is a dinosaur, a stubborn one at that. As Roman Romanov once said, "Killing the club every day". Performances are getting worse, results are getting worse, crowds are down, fan divide and frustration getting worse, match day experience even worse.

jamboinglasgow
14 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

You must be fun at parties.

27 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes. I meant that the non-football activities need to not just increase turnover but operate profitably for the benefit of the football side of the business. If they simply increase turnover but break even then they  are not helping  the football side of the business which for me is what matters. In the 60s the social club increased turnover but lost money and proved a drain on the football side. I am not saying history will repeat itself just that increased turnover in itself does not equate to success. 

We appear to be arguing the same point here, so I’ll stop. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were driving at. You want to maximise the money you turnover as a club and put the most you can in to ensuring the quality of the first team, without damaging your continuity or risking your future and infrastructure.