Restrictive covenants

Tommy Brown

A common restrictive covenant is a house builder will put on properties restricting how house owners can use their front driveway.

The will restrict the use of keeping commercial vehicles, caravans, motor homes & boats on their front driveways.

Mainly, this is to keep the estate looking how the want it to look during the selling period. Once they complete and sell off, the convenants stay in place ( or do they?). They are in the title deeds.

In short, in my street (20 years built), neighbours are falling out about these restrictions being broken.

Anyone on here, know of any similar cases, outcomes, actions, court cases, blah blah. IN SCOTLAND.

Asking for a friend:whistling:

Edited by Tommy Brown

46 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Broken all the time and hard to enforce. 

Cheers, is that from known experience.

I think the complainer is being a fud.

If the owner wants to keep his property on his own driveway,. Causing no sight problems, or whatever.

I see no issue.

What is it you've got in the driveway? 

Title deeds are good for a laugh but you don't hear of many people being brought to court in breach of them for a reason.

Apparently I can't graze cattle on my property or grow trees blah blah. Nobody has complained about the sycamore yet. A few complaints about the livestock rooting around but as I said at the time, till death do us part. 

40 minutes ago, Smack said:

What is it you've got in the driveway? 

Title deeds are good for a laugh but you don't hear of many people being brought to court in breach of them for a reason.

Apparently I can't graze cattle on my property or grow trees blah blah. Nobody has complained about the sycamore yet. A few complaints about the livestock rooting around but as I said at the time, till death do us part. 

Caravan, generally kept in storage.

My driveway is set back and about six yards apart. His is also 4' higher.

So, other than not wanting see a caravan in my driveway, he is being a fud. It does no problem in any way to him.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Cheers, is that from known experience.

I think the complainer is being a fud.

If the owner wants to keep his property on his own driveway,. Causing no sight problems, or whatever.

I see no issue.

Lots of experience of people being twats as they have bought expensive houses and then guy next door buys a house and puts his work van on it. 

Tends to to be older retired  people who cause the fuss as they have nothing else to give them a reality check. 

Both cases I know said tradesmen who own company’s have ended up helping people out on the estates and the tide of pressure flips in their direction. 

35 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Caravan, generally kept in storage.

My driveway is set back and about six yards apart. His is also 4' higher.

So, other than not wanting see a caravan in my driveway, he is being a fud. It does no problem in any way to him.

Quite a few people wouldn't want to see a caravan from their own  property.

Is it there all the time, you mentioned it's generally in storage ?

Best resolved amicably as bigger headache could be permanent neighbour fallout.

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Lots of experience of people being twats as they have bought expensive houses and then guy next door buys a house and puts his work van on it. 

Tends to to be older retired  people who cause the fuss as they have nothing else to give them a reality check. 

Both cases I know said tradesmen who own company’s have ended up helping people out on the estates and the tide of pressure flips in their direction. 

Those pesky older retired people should get a reality check.

:rofl:

13 minutes ago, felix said:

Quite a few people wouldn't want to see a caravan from their own  property.

Is it there all the time, you mentioned it's generally in storage ?

Best resolved amicably as bigger headache could be permanent neighbour fallout.

We have tried, used to be best of mates.

It is generally 1 night before we goaway

11 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

So its only there the night before you go ? Otherwise it is in storage ?

Tell him to go bolt that is absolute bawbaggery to have a moan.

I could maybe see if it had been there months on end, even then its a bit arsey.

Edited by Jamboelite

13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Jeezo, he must be an absolute *****.

30 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Could sort of understand if your caravan was a permanent feature. 

Not worth being mates with someone  complaining about the vehicle being left overnight on the odd occasion;  and don't think any legal argument stacks up in this case either.

4 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Ideally pitch it across his driveway then have sex with his wife in it.

Tried that

Edit

She said I was shite

Edited by Tommy Brown

50 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

So its only there the night before you go ? Otherwise it is in storage ?

Tell him to go bolt that is absolute bawbaggery to have a moan.

I could maybe see if it had been there months on end, even then its a bit arsey.

This. 

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Seems really petty from him but tbf people just picking and choosing which parts of covenants is really annoying.

I appreciate that, too. 

My lovely caravan, less than a year old, is someone elese' eyesore.

So, I do feel both ways about it.

He has had his house up for sale since the turn of the year. Having it on the driveway today when he has viewers is a big niggle to him.

55 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I appreciate that, too. 

My lovely caravan, less than a year old, is someone elese' eyesore.

So, I do feel both ways about it.

He has had his house up for sale since the turn of the year. Having it on the driveway today when he has viewers is a big niggle to him.

He's just being a nuisance and it's probably one of those things he's let bubble up inside of him and he now can't let it go.

Occasionally having it there isn't a big deal and imo isn't really the point of the restrictions. It would be to stop you dumping it there year round.

I get annoyed when folk park at the front of our building. They're not marked spaces but they are part of our land and when people park they're restricting our access to the water meters but I usually just don't care. There's one guy who's been working on a house across the street from us though and he's parked there every single day. Annoys me even though I have a space round the back 😂😂 

Humans are petty beings.

3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Ideally pitch it across his driveway then have sex with his wife in it.

Or encourage the neighbour to actually have sex with his wife. Sounds as if he needs it badly.