An Alternative and Upopular View....

Troon Jambo

Imagine after you spent years building a solid and successful international business you are offered the chance to sell it for over $40M. You are set for life and ready to float around the med reaping the rewards of your efforts. Your daughter, who you love dearly has a love of a wee football team in the city you built your business and invites you long to experience a game. You enjoy yourself and return often as it affords a great family bonding experience. A couple years later your wee girl comes in and is very upset. What might she want or need? Boyfriend trouble, wants a pony, needs a loan for a house? What is it? Mum, can you buy Hearts? They are really in a bad spot...

Ann Budge went in her pocket not for a fly tenner but for several million. She saved the club. She followed a man she greatly trusted in Craig Levein and they got out the championship at the first time of asking. Something The Rangers, Hibs and Dundee United could not accomplish. Not only did we get out but we then went on to qualify for Europe the next season. We then built an outstanding new stand without carrying any debt. We have spent around 2-3 years filling Tynecastle in a way we haven't done in recent history, grown revenue streams to record levels and appear to have a Youth Academy bursting with talent and ready to reap rewards. We have a squad unlike any I have seen in my now 34 years of supporting hearts. We can't claim Romanov years as anything other than fantasy as look where it really led us. Naismith, Souttar, Berra, Smith Washington, Whelan all established international players. Walker, Mulraney, Uche, LaMour and Meshino fans favorites in waiting. Hickey, Irving, Cochrane, McDonald and many others as exciting prospects. We have Austin McPhee as the Assistant Manager who is also the NI Assistant a team who simply struggle to lose. Lastly in Levein we have a true Jambo as manager. Many may recall when he was inducted in the HMFC Hall of Fame as the Dundee Utd Manager at the time. His claim...he loved Utd but Hearts will always be his club.

So where am I headed with this...Things are shite on the pitch right now but I truly accept the fact that we are around the corner from a great run simply because we haven't done the typical...this isn't working and changed things up. Look at the fortunes of those who follow that trend...disaster. Who do people will think can fix it? Who can bring in the players Craig has brought to HMFC? Who will be as vested in Hearts, who will Budge trust as much? More importantly, who will be in for the long haul. Bring in a great young manager and go on a 12 game winning run...he will be at a Championship club in England between game 10 and 13. Results are shite, morale is down but if anyone wants to part with 3 Million pounds and pick the person they trust with Heart of Midlothian FC as the true and unequivocal route of their intentions...please write a check to Mrs. A Budge and see what you come up with. Results say a great deal but after what we have been through...I still believe we are in good shape. Final point, I'll never give up and I'll be a Jambo for life whatever the weekly results may be. Good times are ahead, I feel it.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• GinRummy

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Thomaso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Troon Jambo said:

We can't claim Romanov years as anything other than fantasy as look where it really led us.

So we should just hand back those two Scottish Cups we won in 2006 and 2012 then?

What a load of patronising shite.

The squad was a great one we couldn’t afford and it led us to disaster. We had a couple great results that will never be forgotten but ultimately better to have a few shite ones and retain a healthy club. Patronizing shite? Maybe? I don’t know better than anyone else... but what would you do if it was your money? Who would you hire to lead us? Cameron? McCann? Robbo? Who can actually have a chance of getting us to the next level?

Geoff Kilpatrick
14 minutes ago, Troon Jambo said:

The squad was a great one we couldn’t afford and it led us to disaster. We had a couple great results that will never be forgotten but ultimately better to have a few shite ones and retain a healthy club. Patronizing shite? Maybe? I don’t know better than anyone else... but what would you do if it was your money? Who would you hire to lead us? Cameron? McCann? Robbo? Who can actually have a chance of getting us to the next level?

We couldn't afford the 98 squad either but it is still the greatest day in my Hearts supporting life. People are deluding themselves at the minute thinking we are heading forwards and a sustained period of success is around the corner. So give me the 10 years of Mr Romanov any day of the week.

27 minutes ago, Troon Jambo said:

The whole tone of your post is patronising starting with that little ditty about Budge's daughter through to asking someone to hand her 3 million quid.

If that 3 million is meant to be a budget for a new manager then your deluded for two reasons. 1. We could get a manager 100x better than Levein for that money which you believe we can't. And 2. It would mean paying a manger 60k a week.

If you had to give up 3M of your own hard earned money to help the club and needed a trusted advisor who would you choose? The 3M was just your buy in for a seat at the table, pay off debts and right to make decisions. Still don’t see what’s patronizing? Question remains... what would you have done, what would you do?

Good OP and most certainly a feeling shared by many supporters, its certainly a feeling shared by the hierarchy of the club and that's what really counts. 

Its a shame there are trolls and doomongers on social media trying very hard to maintain some sort of hate campaign but that's the way it is currently. 

The Football club will never please everybody, that much has become clear over the years but in my opinion the club are making the right moves and appealing to the right kind of people for the future. 

6 minutes ago, Troon Jambo said:

If you had to give up 3M of your own hard earned money to help the club and needed a trusted advisor who would you choose? The 3M was just your buy in for a seat at the table, pay off debts and right to make decisions. Still don’t see what’s patronizing? Question remains... what would you have done, what would you do?

I am not sure I agree with everything you said, but the bit about building for the long term resonates. Above all, Ann Budge is a shrewd businesswoman, so she’ll know that sometimes you need a period of stability (possibly seen as stagnation by some) before you can move forward again. While I don’t like the current situation, I don’t think that she is being negligent by leaving CL in place. I think, and hope, it is part of the long term vision. Anyone remember when Fergie was struggling at Man U and, allegedly, one game from the sack? Bet Man U are glad they took a slightly longer term view than the fans were demanding at the time. I am not saying that we will dominate like they did, but sometimes you need to play the long game (no pun intended). I think part of the problem is that if, as I suspect, this is the consolation period and we are expecting a surge soon, it has to be shared with the fans. And in a manner that is not purely “business speak” but put into a sporting context. 

Then again, I may be completely wrong and we are simply struggling and need wholesale changes. But be careful what we wish for.......

Geoff Kilpatrick
22 minutes ago, Troon Jambo said:

1. She didn't "have" to give up anything. She made a choice and the amount of altruism in that choice is debatable.

2. Furthermore, that choice wasn't forthcoming until it was proven that Hearts fans were on board to pay her back.

N.B. This doesn't undermine the appreciation and gratitude that Hearts fans feel towards Ann Budge. Rather, it is knocking down your strawman argument.

If we were winning games the vast majority of fans would be happy. 

Ann is making a mistake keeping Levein on and needs to get rid of him as quickly as possible. By and large everything else she has done has been fantastic. 

46 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

Good OP and most certainly a feeling shared by many supporters, its certainly a feeling shared by the hierarchy of the club and that's what really counts. 

Its a shame there are trolls and doomongers on social media trying very hard to maintain some sort of hate campaign but that's the way it is currently. 

The Football club will never please everybody, that much has become clear over the years but in my opinion the club are making the right moves and appealing to the right kind of people for the future. 

Are you sure you are going to Hearts games? 

34 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Please learn how to use paragraphs.

Oh god no. 

Smith's Right boot. 

Might show up. 

Soon. 

2 hours ago, Troon Jambo said:

Imagine after you spent years building a solid and successful international business you are offered the chance to sell it for over $40M. You are set for life and ready to float around the med reaping the rewards of your efforts. Your daughter, who you love dearly has a love of a wee football team in the city you built your business and invites you long to experience a game. You enjoy yourself and return often as it affords a great family bonding experience. A couple years later your wee girl comes in and is very upset. What might she want or need? Boyfriend trouble, wants a pony, needs a loan for a house? What is it? Mum, can you buy Hearts? They are really in a bad spot...

Ann Budge went in her pocket not for a fly tenner but for several million. She saved the club. She followed a man she greatly trusted in Craig Levein and they got out the championship at the first time of asking. Something The Rangers, Hibs and Dundee United could not accomplish. Not only did we get out but we then went on to qualify for Europe the next season. We then built an outstanding new stand without carrying any debt. We have spent around 2-3 years filling Tynecastle in a way we haven't done in recent history, grown revenue streams to record levels and appear to have a Youth Academy bursting with talent and ready to reap rewards. We have a squad unlike any I have seen in my now 34 years of supporting hearts. We can't claim Romanov years as anything other than fantasy as look where it really led us. Naismith, Souttar, Berra, Smith Washington, Whelan all established international players. Walker, Mulraney, Uche, LaMour and Meshino fans favorites in waiting. Hickey, Irving, Cochrane, McDonald and many others as exciting prospects. We have Austin McPhee as the Assistant Manager who is also the NI Assistant a team who simply struggle to lose. Lastly in Levein we have a true Jambo as manager. Many may recall when he was inducted in the HMFC Hall of Fame as the Dundee Utd Manager at the time. His claim...he loved Utd but Hearts will always be his club.

So where am I headed with this...Things are shite on the pitch right now but I truly accept the fact that we are around the corner from a great run simply because we haven't done the typical...this isn't working and changed things up. Look at the fortunes of those who follow that trend...disaster. Who do people will think can fix it? Who can bring in the players Craig has brought to HMFC? Who will be as vested in Hearts, who will Budge trust as much? More importantly, who will be in for the long haul. Bring in a great young manager and go on a 12 game winning run...he will be at a Championship club in England between game 10 and 13. Results are shite, morale is down but if anyone wants to part with 3 Million pounds and pick the person they trust with Heart of Midlothian FC as the true and unequivocal route of their intentions...please write a check to Mrs. A Budge and see what you come up with. Results say a great deal but after what we have been through...I still believe we are in good shape. Final point, I'll never give up and I'll be a Jambo for life whatever the weekly results may be. Good times are ahead, I feel it.

The dafties on here will not get this. Thanks for writing this as I’m fed up reading tosh from people who have no idea what they’re talking about. Being a jambo is for life - the ups and downs. See the bigger picture not just today. 

Just now, Baxfee said:

The dafties on here will not get this. Thanks for writing this as I’m fed up reading tosh from people who have no idea what they’re talking about. Being a jambo is for life - the ups and downs. See the bigger picture not just today. 

You realise you're now a troll who doesn't watch Hearts.

1 hour ago, Troon Jambo said:

To answer your hypothetical question, If I knew I was going to get my 3 million back through the Foundation of Hearts I'd have done it. Just like she is going to.

Levein was the right choice at that time. Right now as manager, his time is up for me. That doesn't mean I'm not grateful for everything they have both done up to this point.

2 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

The dafties, as you call them, just want results to improve. They see the best way of achieving that as getting rid of a failing manager. 

Their frustration and sometimes OTT posts are understandable. Don’t you agree.

AB saved us with the investment , of which she being paid back with interest . Hearts fans have dug deep and keep doing as well 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We couldn't afford the 98 squad either but it is still the greatest day in my Hearts supporting life. People are deluding themselves at the minute thinking we are heading forwards and a sustained period of success is around the corner. So give me the 10 years of Mr Romanov any day of the week.

Whilst I agree its only with the benefit of hindsight and thing's could have been very different. 

Both points of view are entirely valid 

portobellojambo1
3 hours ago, Troon Jambo said:

So where am I headed with this...Things are shite on the pitch right now but I truly accept the fact that we are around the corner from a great run simply because we haven't done the typical...this isn't working and changed things up. Good times are ahead, I feel it.

I've shortened your post down a good bit and picked out just a few words. I am one of those who, when looking to comment on HMFC, separates Ann Budge and Craig Levein totally. I have total respect for what Ann did for us, because truth is there was no other individual HMFC fan or a group of HMFC fans who were able to produce the lump sum of money we needed to continue existing. That should never be forgotten and we should always be thankful.

She appointed Craig Levein after speaking to him. He recommended the club needed a Director of Football to oversee the football side of the business, and rather than advertise for the best person to do the job she appointed someone who is a personal friend. She didn't advertise to try and bring in a person qualified to do the job. We started off in The Championship but did get out of it at the first go, we did get into Europe and were found out by a team from Malta.

We now move forward to September 2019 to a time where you have to forget about how good a player Craig Levein was for HMFC and whether or not you thought Craig was a decent manager up until he left in 2004. In business sentiment and emotions create a recipe for disaster and going into business with friends and/or family might seem a great idea at the outset but it can and does create problems when a parting of the ways has to be considered for the betterment of the business as a whole.

Our business is football, everything else we do off the field revolves around the business succeeding at football. Like it or not people have been loyal to the club but even as early as last Saturday, versus Hamilton, it was clear, wherever you sat in the stadium, that whatever crowd was announced was a nonsense. There were big gaps of empty seats in the areas populated by ST holders, the club are getting knocked back continually when contacting people about hospitality and it all comes down to one thing. What is being offered on the park has been absolute shit for a lot longer than simply the start of this season.

As an individual you are perfectly entitled to your view that we are around the corner from a great run and good times are ahead. Rather than look into the future and dream I prefer to deal with the here and now, reality and what impact that could have, even though dreams have a place in life. We are sitting 2nd bottom of the league for no other reason than the alphabet and the fact we deserve to be where we are. The frustrating things is I do think we have a good group of players but we are failinig miserably to get the best out of them due to tactics/style which had become redundant back in 2004. Football has moved on and Craig Levein's style doesn't work in 2019. There is a real possibility that when Bidco hand over the majority shareholding to FoH Heart of Midlothian Football Club could be back in the Championship, where the whole venture with Ann started. And I think that would be a great shame and tarnish people's thoughts on her as well.

Edited by portobellojambo1

kingantti1874

the only benefit of being in great financial shape is that it should allow us to win more ****ing football games.  We just need to win football matches and make it fun to go to. shouldn’t be that hard.

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The dafties, as you call them, just want results to improve. They see the best way of achieving that as getting rid of a failing manager. 

Their frustration and sometimes OTT posts are understandable. Don’t you agree.

Of course I want results to improve. However I’ll hang in there and give the team 100% support. I won’t boo them off the park. I also believe we have a squad that could do things. Maybe we will do a reverse of last season - lose games at start then win all the rest? 

Special Agent Dale Cooper
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Top post, as always, pj1

👍🏻

Yup. Nail on head.

For me, it's the fact that we are on a sound financial footing with resources many of our rivals would dream of, that makes our ineptitude on the pitch so frustrating.

Someone eventually must be held responsible for that.

Edited by Special Agent Dale Cooper

Just now, Baxfee said:

Of course I want results to improve. However I’ll hang in there and give the team 100% support. I won’t boo them off the park. I also believe we have a squad that could do things. Maybe we will do a reverse of last season - lose games at start then win all the rest? 

I believe we have a good squad as well. The form has been bad for a long time now. The team deserves to be booed off the park at times and it shows them how unhappy the support is.

Given that we’ve won 2 of out last 18 league games, it’s a huge gamble to just keep rolling the dice every week. It’s fairly obvious a change in manager/coaches is needed and the longer Ann takes to do that the more fans will turn on her. 

We we can be financially stable and forward thinking and have a winning first team. The way some people talk on here you’d think results are secondary. The whole point of a footballl club is ultimately the first team and the support that follows them surely.

12 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I've shortened your post down a good bit and picked out just a few words. I am one of those who, when looking to comment on HMFC, separates Ann Budge and Craig Levein totally. I have total respect for what Ann did for us, because truth is there was no other individual HMFC fan or a group of HMFC fans who were able to produce the lump sum of money we needed to continue existing. That should never be forgotten and we should always be thankful.

She appointed Craig Levein after speaking to him. He recommended the club needed a Director of Football to oversee the football side of the business, and rather than advertise for the best person to do the job she appointed someone who is a personal friend and a business acquaintance in another venture. She didn't advertise to trey and bring in a person qualified to do the job. We started off in The Championship but did get out of it at the first go, we did get into Europe and were found out by a team from Malta.

We now move forward to September 2019 to a time where you have to forget about how good a player Craig Levein was for HMFC and whether or not you thought Craig was a decent manager up until he left in 2004. In business sentiment and emotions create a recipe for disaster and going into business with friends and/or family might seem a great idea at the outset but it can and does create problems when a parting of the ways has to be considered for the betterment of the business as a whole.

Our business is football, everything else we do off the field revolves around the business succeeding at football. Like it or not people have been loyal to the club but even as early as last Saturday, versus Hamilton, it was clear, wherever you sat in the stadium, that whatever crowd was announced was a nonsense. There were big gaps of empty seats in the areas populated by ST holders, the club are getting knocked back continually when contacting people about hospitality and it all comes down to one thing. What is being offered on the park has been absolute shit for a lot longer than simply the start of this season.

As an individual you are perfectly entitled to your view that we are around the corner from a great run and good times are ahead.

Rather than look into the future and dream I prefer to deal with the here and now, reality and what impact that could have, even though dreams have a place in life. We are sitting 2nd bottom of the league for no other reason than the alphabet and the fact we deserve to be where we are. The frustrating things is I do think we have a good group of players but we are failinig miserably to get the best out of them due to tactics/style which had become redundant back in 2004. Football has move on and Craig Levein's style doesn't work in 2019. There is a real possibility that when Bidco hand over the majority shareholding to FoH Heart of Midlothian Football Club could be back in the Championship, where the whole venture with Ann started. And I think that would be a great shame and tarnish people's thoughts on her as well.

Great post.  I keep reading about us having a great squad, but that squad will start to break up pretty damn quickly if players become disillusioned and we stay at the foot of the table.  I’m pretty sure that Whelan and the likes didn’t come up here to play in front of a half full stadium.  They are of course part of the problem, as some of them are underperforming, but they can choose where they want to pursue their football, not so easy for us lifelong fans to change our perspectives.

I go to Tynecastle to watch and support the players.  I go to be entertained.  Crudely put, I shouldn’t have to think about who’s in the dugout or who’s pulling strings upstairs.  It shouldn’t be of any concern to me.  

For our long term strategy (which I’m fully fledged and 100% invested) to become a reality, huge improvements need to made in the short to medium term.  The long term strategy relies on having good players (experienced and developed through the Academy), supporters coming through the turnstiles and of course the off the park initiatives.  The first two won’t be sustainable if we don’t start improving the quality on the pitch very very soon.  It’s like me saying that I want to retire on a £100k a year pension in 20 years time, but not being willing to save for it or make some sacrifices now in the hope that some miracle will just happen.

I was in this camp for a long long time... Support and stabilise the club for long term goals etc

But CLs record is now worse than  cathro . We are truly, truly rotten. He can't just keep getting a free pass by telling us he is waving some magic wand behind the scenes .

Just now, Alan_R said:

I was in this camp for a long long time... Support and stabilise the club for long term goals etc

But CLs record is now worse than  cathro . We are truly, truly rotten. He can't just keep getting a free pass by telling us he is waving some magic wand behind the scenes .

Over the last 38 league games he is 3 points better than Gary Locke. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Over the last 38 league games he is 3 points better than Gary Locke. 

Does that make you happy ?

Just now, Noah Claypole said:

This is what I just don’t get. Nobody is happy. Why are some people on kickback so upset by any criticism of CL’s awful record?

As for the OP, if we get the on field stuff working then nobody will care what Ann does, whether that’s ladies teams, face-painting or banning our more “lively” supporters. 

Just like we all turned a blind eye to Vlads shenanigans when we were winning games. 

Ann has the support of the overwhelming majority of Hearts fans - despite the odd moan - but Levein has allowed her to paint herself into a corner where a simple change of Head Coach will now be a major change involving the entire football operation and the Board. She took her eye off the ball and believed that she could always allow Craig to go back upstairs with zero repercussions (to be fair, I expect she thought she would be congratulating him for his amazing work, rather than facing calls to sack him). 

5 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

No, relegation does not make me happy. 

Edited by Nookie Bear

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

No, relegation does not make me happy. 

We're not getting relegated anytime soon :rofl:

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

This is what I just don’t get. Nobody is happy. Why are some people on kickback so upset by any criticism of CL’s awful record?

I'm happy, I couldn't give a shiny one about his past record, apart from our run in the Cups, I enjoyed that.

He was left in the job and has been correctly lauded by most for the summer transfer activity, so for me the season started 4 games ago. 

I've seen more than enough to know 100% we will start winning and will be shooting up the table.

The past is in the past with all our other garbage seasons, best forgotten, onwards and upwards.

2 hours ago, Troon Jambo said:

Budge will get her money back though and more. She had it to put in and us as fans are paying her £3m back. I think any Hearts fan who had the money would do the same. 

I think everyone appreciates what she's done and she has the business side of the club in a good position, probably the best it's ever been.  

However, the football side is dire at the moment and she deserves some of the stick coming her way for that. Got to take the rough with the smooth when you're in her position. 

6 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

I'm happy, I couldn't give a shiny one about his past record, apart from our run in the Cups, I enjoyed that.

He was left in the job and has been correctly lauded by most for the summer transfer activity, so for me the season started 4 games ago. 

I've seen more than enough to know 100% we will start winning and will be shooting up the table.

The past is in the past with all our other garbage seasons, best forgotten, onwards and upwards.

Genuinely glad someone is happy. Glad you’re not one of these guys who has always backed Levein and would defend him regardless of whether it’s right or wrong to do so.

Those guys are just stubbornly bonkers. 

5 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

we won't .... so long as we do something about it now !

No we won't, you know we won't. Settle.

Brighton Jambo
4 hours ago, Troon Jambo said:

Bizarre self indulgent post.

for the love of god introduce yourself to paragraphs. 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

4 hours ago, Troon Jambo said:

:spoton: :greatpost:

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Genuinely glad someone is happy. Glad you’re not one of these guys who has always backed Levein and would defend him regardless of whether it’s right or wrong to do so.

Those guys are just stubbornly bonkers. 

You’ve only just joined JKB haven’t you? Are you one of those ‘long term reader, but only just started posting’ guys? 🤔

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, fila said:

AB saved us with the investment , of which she being paid back with interest . Hearts fans have dug deep and keep doing as well 

Yup and the fans arent getting their money back!!!

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Bizarre self indulgent post.

for the love of god introduce yourself to paragraphs. 

Friday night though. Can't hold a man responsible for that. 

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

You’ve only just joined JKB haven’t you? Are you one of those ‘long term reader, but only just started posting’ guys? 🤔

Yeah that’s it. Why the wee emoji?