How Would you Fix Scotland?

CostaJambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Get Craig Levein back in.

Last Scotland manager to win his first 2 competitive home matches. 

True story 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Nookie Bear

• FruitJuice

• sadj

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, sadj said:

@Icon of Symmetry what about A new national national anthem with no words so players don’t look like they have no idea of the lyrics because they weren’t born in Scotland and only play for us as they can’t get in their birth nations teams?

On the radio David Currie suggested that they were giving it laldy. BBC at its finest 

Stephen Muddie

This qualification campaign was a great opportunity for bold moves in player selection, what with the playing (hopefully beating) Finland for a crack at another to qualify. There was always more chance of Scotland qualifying via Nations League IMO, might as well have blooded those on the fringes or even promising youths so that by the time those matches come about,we have a larger, more experienced pool.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

rudi must stay
22 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

So no Hearts game this week-end and no doubt some of our football obsessed posters will be at a loose end...

Hoping for at least a few sensible posts from people who actually understand football and some reasonable football debate before the thread descends into a Levein oot one.

Leaving aside the Scotland team's recent past and moving forward, how would you fix it? Does any Jambo really care?

For me:

1. Keep Clarke, I am not convinced anyone could do any better and I am sure he sees the Scotland gig as a positive one and is desperate to succeed..

2. This would be difficult as the OF have their own agenda but if possible get someone who actually has some respect in the Scottish game to work with the clubs to develop a basic common playing style for the youngsters. Alex Ferguson would be ideal as he doesn't come with any Old Firm baggage and all clubs would listen to him but I doubt he would want to get involved at this stage of his life. Forget about dinosaurs like Strachan etc.

3. Choose passion over club, i.e. start blooding players who want to play for Scotland rather than guys playing in England who are more bothered about their next big money move or OF players who will call off from friendlies for fear of getting injured.

4. Wipe out this Euro campaign (including the Nations League qualifier) and just start working towards the next World Cup.

Starts from the infrastructure. Bring in coaches that can develop a style of play and technical ability that can improve our younger players, results may not be instant but they would happen in the future, all you see from Scotland teams is the long ball. I'd also ditch the reserve league for the top teams, allow them to get to the Championship like in Spain, would this help our national team, I think so yes, less meaningless games and young players not developing. Those two things would help us tremendously 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

On the radio David Currie suggested that they were giving it laldy. BBC at its finest 

They might if done i put it on tv in the background and spent the two hours doing chest. Its something that was very noticeable in the past however so the point stands

For the rest of the Qualifiers, I’d just got 3-4-3, gung ho and try to outscore the opposition. If we’re going to do glorious failure, we may as well do it in the Kevin Keegan style and lose every game 7-6. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also so reason behind that as well. We need to win and we also have no right backs. We may aswell sack a back four and play Fraser as a RwB/RM. 

I’m thinking

Marshall 

Souttar Halkett Mulgrew

Fraser McGinn McGregor Robertson 

Christie                     Forrest

Griffiths

Subs: McLaughlin, McKenna, Lindsay, Tierney, Taylor, Armstrong, McLean, Snodgrass, Naismith, Paterson

I’d chuck into that squad, David Turnbull, Mickey Johnstone, Allan Campbell, Lewis Ferguson and Jake Hastie just to get them involved. I’d definitely cap David Turnbull and Mickey Johnstone out of them tbh. 

Ever since the dot com era struck. Kids dont go out and play anymore. They rather be inside play fifa and talk drivel to some kid over in Ghana or Portugal than go knock on his mates door and ask if he's coming out for a kick about.

The internet has killed off national team football.

Kids are not that interested in playing football these days.

Fortnite, Minecraft and fifa is the new thing. 

eSports is the new international competition

1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

Ever since the dot com era struck. Kids dont go out and play anymore. They rather be inside play fifa and talk drivel to some kid over in Ghana or Portugal than go knock on his mates door and ask if he's coming out for a kick about.

Yet the the team we have has EPL standard players in it, one of them rated at £50m. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

Presume that no other European countries have these toys in that case. :rolleyes:

What the internet revolution exposes is how shite player development in Scotland was before these days. Players learned their skills in spite of coaching not because of coaching.

16 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

Gordon Strachan made a speech at a kids tournament I attended about two years ago completely rubbishing the concept of performance schools. There isn't a coherent plan.

What was his alternative idea?

47 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

Gordon Strachan made a speech at a kids tournament I attended about two years ago completely rubbishing the concept of performance schools. There isn't a coherent plan.

Strachan is an irrelevance these days. Like those guys who sit on Soccer Saturday talking in blokey cliches about a bygone era. 

Seymour M Hersh

Scottish football is chronic. In quality and style and ridiculously over priced. But fear not dear readers the SPFL, GFA, TV and MSM have their two horse race back so all is well. 

Icon is right (😮). Too many people picking faults in the system but not prepared to put in the graft to change it. 

When Levein was Scotland manager he spoke in a way that showed he had his eye on the development of ALL of Scottish football. Whilst we could argue over his ability to do so, at least he could see that bigger picture and was prepared to put the time in (and not just do media work for laughs and easy money)

29 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Stop playing altogether.

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

If Belgium don't rattle in five I will be surprised. 

When they do I will laugh my cock off. 

I don't give a shit about Scotland and have total contempt for the corrupt rulers of the game with their tinpot, ersecheek mentality. That's all they care about.  

The only football team I care about are the Hearts.

Whats the punishment for a no-show?

0-3 defeat?

An option? 🤔

9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I don't give a shit about Scotland and have total contempt for the corrupt rulers of the game with their tinpot, ersecheek mentality. That's all they care about.  

You sum it up perfectly with your point about the corrupt rulers.

It feels more like SFA FC than our national side. 

Until that lot go, I couldn't give a shyte about Scotland losing. 

Even this morning, petrie is in the paper that UEFA haven't embarrassed them with their punishment for rangers.  

Edited by FruitJuice

portobellojambo1
On 06/09/2019 at 23:20, CostaJambo said:

So no Hearts game this week-end and no doubt some of our football obsessed posters will be at a loose end...

Hoping for at least a few sensible posts from people who actually understand football and some reasonable football debate before the thread descends into a Levein oot one.

Leaving aside the Scotland team's recent past and moving forward, how would you fix it? Does any Jambo really care?

For me:

1. Keep Clarke, I am not convinced anyone could do any better and I am sure he sees the Scotland gig as a positive one and is desperate to succeed..

2. This would be difficult as the OF have their own agenda but if possible get someone who actually has some respect in the Scottish game to work with the clubs to develop a basic common playing style for the youngsters. Alex Ferguson would be ideal as he doesn't come with any Old Firm baggage and all clubs would listen to him but I doubt he would want to get involved at this stage of his life. Forget about dinosaurs like Strachan etc.

3. Choose passion over club, i.e. start blooding players who want to play for Scotland rather than guys playing in England who are more bothered about their next big money move or OF players who will call off from friendlies for fear of getting injured.

4. Wipe out this Euro campaign (including the Nations League qualifier) and just start working towards the next World Cup.

1. I think maybe Clarke is learning that many of the things a manager can implement at club level cannot be reproduced at international level. As a club manager you can buy players and have time to mould them into a way of playing, as in one month you are probably with them more than an international manager sees his players in one year.

2. In terms of agenda the OF breed into their players that in football if you want to be successful you have to win. And they approach games in that manner, play on the attack and look to wear other teams down. In Europe rather than continue to play like that they often look to defend, which doesn't work for them. Scotland needs to be like the OF in football terms, i.e. line up with the intention of winning, home or away. I think the Scottish mentality was evident on Friday night, the players spoken to after the game mentioned it, the punters in the studios mentioned it, we went 1-0 up and thought job done, sat off and lost. If attacking the opposition succeeds for the first 20 minutes, just think how much more successful it would be if you adopted that approach for the full 90 minutes. The OF do have a stranglehold on Scottish club football but that stranglehold doesn't mean managers at other clubs or the international manager are barred from getting a similar winning mentality into the players at their disposal. Football is a sport, when played by folk on a public park at the weekend, a bit fun. At club and international level it is a business/profession, and like in any other profession only the best succeed and are remembered. It is absolutely fine to let youngsters of primary school age just go out and enjoy playing the game, learn the fun side first. But when it come down to the business side you then need to have people in place who know how to get the winning mentality into their heads and coach them accordingly. The OF are there to be run down for many reasons, but wanting to win shouldn't be used against them.

3. Passion is only effective in football if the player who is deemed to be passionate also has ability. Just because someone says they want to play at international level doesn't mean they should be picked. Not picking OF players, not picking players looking to play at a higher level in England doesn't make sense. If you want to be successful you have to pick your best players and get them as a combined force playing in a way that works and creates success.

4. I really can't comment on the European qualifiers as it doesn't make sense to me in all honesty. The Nations League thing has just complicated matters worse. I had it in my mind that we already had a game coming up at some point against Finland, to qualify for the European Championships. Until I listened to what was being said before the game on Friday, where it became apparent that based on how teams are performing in these qualifiers we actually have no clue who that qualifying game could be against. All it does is suggest that the Nations League was nothing more than a money making exercise for the governing body. If we do have a chance of getting through in a play off game then  it would make sense to focus on that one off game and use the present qualifying group, or what remains of it, to build for that and future competitions.

Edited by portobellojambo1

On 06/09/2019 at 23:24, kingantti1874 said:

Get rid of those in charge of setting the shape of football at youth level and get rid of every coach  every coach at youth level who picks 6,7,8,9 year old based on size and speed . Brainless - the lot of them

The mentality is beyond a joke kids should be playing for fun some of these clowns running clubs are so desperate for success 

Look at the Spanish team ten years ago they had about 6 or 7 players under five feet eight

We need foreign blood in to overhaul everything it’s actually getting worse year in year 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

What was his alternative idea?

It was along the lines of 'get the kids off their x-stations and out playing'. 

9 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

It was along the lines of 'get the kids off their x-stations and out playing'. 

Ah... nothing particularly groundbreaking or helpful then. :( 

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

Na! We need to commission a think tank to coming up with a report on how to improve the national side and our domestic game.

I'm amazed they haven't done this years ago...

15 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Think Tank : Let the OF hoover up talent but let them have colt teams in the league. 

Here’s a radical idea. How about the powers that be do a better job of promoting our league and teams, and get us better TV and sponsorship money, that way we can offer better wages than League 1 in England, and keep hold of our good young players longer.

34 minutes ago, sadj said:

Think Tank : Let the OF hoover up talent but let them have colt teams in the league. 

Will be for Glasgow’s benefit so more of a Tink Tank

49 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I was jokingly referring to the ernie Walker report  or was it hendry's mcleish?  Or the malky Mackay progress report.  Is he still with the SFA? 

35 minutes ago, sadj said:

It's fookin pathetic.  They've been promising progress for 30 years.  Look at the state of our game because of the old firm, and still they pander to them.

Not just the football authorities.  Look at the streets of Glasgow over the last couple of weeks.  If those two didn't exist, the trouble at the weekend wouldn't have happened.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Strachan is an irrelevance these days. Like those guys who sit on Soccer Saturday talking in blokey cliches about a bygone era. 

I never said he was relevant. The point I was making is that the SFA had a long-term plan then appointed a manager who didn't support it.

12 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

I never said he was relevant. The point I was making is that the SFA had a long-term plan then appointed a manager who didn't support it.

No, I know, and I wasn’t disagreeing with you 👍🏻

18 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Scotland is a part of Glasgow.

Glasgow ought to be a part of Scotland, Imo.

Glasgow is a top class city.

On the whole it's a place Scotland can be proud of.

2 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

It's fookin pathetic.  They've been promising progress for 30 years.  Look at the state of our game because of the old firm, and still they pander to them.

Not just the football authorities.  Look at the streets of Glasgow over the last couple of weeks.  If those two didn't exist, the trouble at the weekend wouldn't have happened.

The trouble between protestant and catholic unionism v republicanism  was here long before Celtic and definitely before the rangers.

Both teams are focal points .

I'm not sure you can blame the old firm for a poor Scotland team .

Our relative success in years gone by was down to the quality of players available.

We had players of real pedigree.

And even they failed to get passed the tournament group stages.

On 07/09/2019 at 00:07, shaun.lawson said:

Scotland can't be fixed. It can never be fixed until the Old Firm, who dominate every single thing in Scottish football despite both clubs having contempt for Scotland, leave: either for England or a European Super League.

Never-ending Old Firm dominance on the pitch results in Old Firm-friendly referees, Old Firm-friendly administrators, Old Firm-friendly journalists, and Old Firm-friendly managers. All of whom are raised in the same backwards beyond system and perpetuate it, seemingly forevermore. A backwards beyond belief system which still treats Celtic and Rangers as incredibly important when self-evidently, they no longer are. A backwards beyond belief system which is exposed every single week by leagues across Europe which, unlike in the past, people can watch at the click of a button.

The national team can't be fixed until it's prioritised. It will never be prioritised as long as the Old Firm remain. Only Celtic and Rangers matter to almost everyone who's anyone in the Scottish game. Their impact is to be the jailers of Scottish football: holding it prisoner to their resources, their needs and their bigotry. If another club builds a good young side, the players are bought by the Old Firm and left on the bench, while their new club complains about "lack of competition". No other club can sustainably grow and become a challenger because of a prize money and revenue system which again, prioritises the Glasgow two at everyone else's expense. And as Celtic and Rangers go backwards on the pitch, so does everyone else. On and on and on it goes.

Gate receipt sharing? The Old Firm would never accept it. Summer football? Ditto. A larger league? Same again. Championship playoffs? Ibid. Two bald men fighting over a comb in a constant race to the bottom in which the victims are everyone else. But nothing will ever, ever be done about it. The national team's practically been allowed to die, it's been so bad for so long - yet its failure for more than a generation has resulted in the square root of sweet FA being done to change things.  

Scotland got away with much of this in the past because football wasn't global in the way it is now; because there were fewer national teams while the USSR and the former Yugoslavia were still intact; and as more or less the founders of the sport, it had a historic advantage over most other nations for a long, long time. Yet other nations modernised. Other nations brought in new coaching methods. Scotland just stayed the same ("get your foot in! Be hard to beat! Hoof it up the park! When in doubt, hoof it out!")... and the one good thing it kept doing, producing great managers, has stopped as well.

And of course, kids no longer playing football in the streets and de-industrialisation have more than played their part as well. It's playstation, the internet, mobile phones and junk food instead. As a result of all this, there's nothing left. The baw's burst. The game's a bogey.

Shaun,

You're often accused of long winded verbose posts on here. For me at least, not this time. That is an excellent and concise (though depressing!) account of exactly where we are. Very well put sir.

I remember a buzz of anticipation around the national team when growing up. Nowadays it's all apathy and despair. I think we have the best available candidate in the post of national team manager.  But that's not the whole story. The whole game is rotten to the core from head to toe with the toxic Old Firm and their near complete control of everyone involved in running it mostly to blame.

55 minutes ago, jake said:

Glasgow is a top class city.

On the whole it's a place Scotland can be proud of.

The trouble between protestant and catholic unionism v republicanism  was here long before Celtic and definitely before the rangers.

Both teams are focal points .

I'm not sure you can blame the old firm for a poor Scotland team .

Our relative success in years gone by was down to the quality of players available.

We had players of real pedigree.

And even they failed to get passed the tournament group stages.

Aye, it was there decades ago.  The old firm fans are what's helping to fuel it now.  I think older fans would tell you, that before the trouble in Nothern Ireland, it was nowhere near what it is in our game now.  I was referring to our governing bodies not putting any real effort into eradicating from the old firm and how that keeps things like the carry on over the last couple of weekends going.  I wasn't blaming it for us not having a good national side, but a primary example of the sfa etc pandering to them.  

Give me examples if it being as prevalent in the 50's etc compared to the last few decades?

chester copperpot

There is no solution I am afraid. I say that with such a heavy heart.

Whenever I suggest things to change  I almost get laughed down at because I didnt play pro for numerous amounts of years. 

The problem is the people who make the decisions would have to put themselves out of a job for things to get better and that just ain't happening.

Some of the stuff I have heard living through here and working where I do is totally harrowing.

The Scottish NT isn't the be all or end all through here (which it totally should be) it's all about not upsetting 2 sets of fans. 

Wait it out!! until the bad behaviours have been 'bred out' the Scottish psyche. And our footballers become serious sportsmen, take better care of themselves and spend longer on the training ground.   

41 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Aye, it was there decades ago.  The old firm fans are what's helping to fuel it now.  I think older fans would tell you, that before the trouble in Nothern Ireland, it was nowhere near what it is in our game now.  I was referring to our governing bodies not putting any real effort into eradicating from the old firm and how that keeps things like the carry on over the last couple of weekends going.  I wasn't blaming it for us not having a good national side, but a primary example of the sfa etc pandering to them.  

Give me examples if it being as prevalent in the 50's etc compared to the last few decades?

In every decade that preceded Souness Rangers had a policy of not signing Catholics is a glaring one.

If you are referring to trouble between the two supports any older poster on here will tell you today's old firm supports are nowhere near as bad.

Before the 50s you had the razor gang Billy boys.

Both clubs from the start identified with protestant v catholic a problem already well established.

It would be pretty difficult for any FA to ignore the vast majority of its punters.

Like it or not they command at least 3/4

the paying customer and probably more for tv.

Rodger Mellie
7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Spot on.

5 minutes ago, jake said:

In every decade that preceded Souness Rangers had a policy of not signing Catholics is a glaring one.

If you are referring to trouble between the two supports any older poster on here will tell you today's old firm supports are nowhere near as bad.

Before the 50s you had the razor gang Billy boys.

Both clubs from the start identified with protestant v catholic a problem already well established.

It would be pretty difficult for any FA to ignore the vast majority of its punters.

Like it or not they command at least 3/4

the paying customer and probably more for tv.

If the main concern is the punters, it's completely pointless expecting anything to really get done about it.

On 07/09/2019 at 00:07, shaun.lawson said:

Scotland can't be fixed. It can never be fixed until the Old Firm, who dominate every single thing in Scottish football despite both clubs having contempt for Scotland, leave: either for England or a European Super League.

Never-ending Old Firm dominance on the pitch results in Old Firm-friendly referees, Old Firm-friendly administrators, Old Firm-friendly journalists, and Old Firm-friendly managers. All of whom are raised in the same backwards beyond system and perpetuate it, seemingly forevermore. A backwards beyond belief system which still treats Celtic and Rangers as incredibly important when self-evidently, they no longer are. A backwards beyond belief system which is exposed every single week by leagues across Europe which, unlike in the past, people can watch at the click of a button.

The national team can't be fixed until it's prioritised. It will never be prioritised as long as the Old Firm remain. Only Celtic and Rangers matter to almost everyone who's anyone in the Scottish game. Their impact is to be the jailers of Scottish football: holding it prisoner to their resources, their needs and their bigotry. If another club builds a good young side, the players are bought by the Old Firm and left on the bench, while their new club complains about "lack of competition". No other club can sustainably grow and become a challenger because of a prize money and revenue system which again, prioritises the Glasgow two at everyone else's expense. And as Celtic and Rangers go backwards on the pitch, so does everyone else. On and on and on it goes.

Gate receipt sharing? The Old Firm would never accept it. Summer football? Ditto. A larger league? Same again. Championship playoffs? Ibid. Two bald men fighting over a comb in a constant race to the bottom in which the victims are everyone else. But nothing will ever, ever be done about it. The national team's practically been allowed to die, it's been so bad for so long - yet its failure for more than a generation has resulted in the square root of sweet FA being done to change things.  

Scotland got away with much of this in the past because football wasn't global in the way it is now; because there were fewer national teams while the USSR and the former Yugoslavia were still intact; and as more or less the founders of the sport, it had a historic advantage over most other nations for a long, long time. Yet other nations modernised. Other nations brought in new coaching methods. Scotland just stayed the same ("get your foot in! Be hard to beat! Hoof it up the park! When in doubt, hoof it out!")... and the one good thing it kept doing, producing great managers, has stopped as well.

And of course, kids no longer playing football in the streets and de-industrialisation have more than played their part as well. It's playstation, the internet, mobile phones and junk food instead. As a result of all this, there's nothing left. The baw's burst. The game's a bogey.

I missed this post until someone else quoted it. 

If the old firm leave, they still remain in the country and even more focus will be on them as they play similar opponents across Europe. Forget the rest of us playing in some parochial wee league, fighting to be “Champions of the Rest” - we would be feeder clubs for the even wealthier old firm, just as we were moving away from those times due to good financial management by the likes of us, hibs, Aberdeen and Killie. 

Anyway, just my tuppence worth as I never get the argument that the old firm leaving would really benefit us. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If the old firm leave, they still remain in the country and even more focus will be on them as they play similar opponents across Europe. Forget the rest of us playing in some parochial wee league, fighting to be “Champions of the Rest” - we would be feeder clubs for the even wealthier old firm, just as we were moving away from those times due to good financial management by the likes of us, hibs, Aberdeen and Killie. 

Anyway, just my tuppence worth as I never get the argument that the old firm leaving would really benefit us. 

Not existing is the only real answer.  We nearly got halfway there.

Just now, FruitJuice said:

Not existing is the only real answer.  We nearly got halfway there.

Definitely. 

Or...something radical like fairer distribution of money by UEFA but that will never happen because they want a European League. 

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I say this repeatedly. The OF ditching the Scottish leagues system for a richer cross borders league would make things even worse, not better. Amazed more people can’t get their heads around this. They would need to re-locate physically.

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Definitely. 

Or...something radical like fairer distribution of money by UEFA but that will never happen because they want a European League. 

Not just that.  If the old firm had to share more of the money, they wouldn't be able to pay the living wage.  Imagine taking something as virtuous as that away from them.  Especially the peoples club Celtic.  You want them to completely flog their morals?  

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I say this repeatedly. The OF ditching the Scottish leagues system for a richer cross borders league would make things even worse, not better. Amazed more people can’t get their heads around this. They would need to re-locate physically.

Can we just pick up Glasgow and chuck it across the water or over the border? 🤔

Just now, sadj said:

Can we just pick up Glasgow and chuck it across the water or over the border? 🤔

Grab an end and we'll give it a bash.  

2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Not just that.  If the old firm had to share more of the money, they wouldn't be able to pay the living wage.  Imagine taking something as virtuous as that away from them.  Especially the peoples club Celtic.  You want them to completely flog their morals?  

Of course, why should they share their money? Would we?

There is billions of £££ sloshing around football and it is up to UEFA and FIFA to distribute it more fairly. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

There is billions of £££ sloshing around football and it is up to UEFA and FIFA to distribute it more fairly. 

I know.  Was just having a dig at them not paying the living wage.  Celtic especially.  You know where you are with rangers.  With Celtic being the self acclaimed most left wing club in the world, you expect better.

Not saying paying the living wage is solely a left wing principle, but you'd think they'd back up their mouths.

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think the European representatives of the league should pay a levy on earnings from the group stages onwards.

There just isn't enough money in the SPFL for other teams to earn enough to compete with Celtic and Rangers. We've already had over 20 years of the same, the game isn't exactly helping sell itself because of the gulf between the Old Firm and the rest of us.