How Would you Fix Scotland?

CostaJambo

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Unfortunately the pool we have is shit in certain areas.

No top quality young goalkeepers coming through. League 1 dross isn’t International standard. David Marshall is a good keeper but he, like Gordon and McGregor are getting on in years.

The right back position is rancid. Callum Paterson isn’t and never was a right back. Stephen O’Donnell isn’t International standard but he is all there is. “What kin ye dae”. 🤷🏼‍♂️

There are good centerhalfs but they are young, untried and neither McLeish nor Clarke have been willing to take a chance on them. I.E. Souttar, Halkett, Lindsay, need to play these guys. 

Left back is a strong position but Robertson is pish for Scotland for some reason. Maybe it’s because he’s used to playing with better players. 

Midfield is actually good imo but, (and this might upset some folk) I’d rather have Ryan Jack in there than McTominay and sorry but John McGinn’s the main man in there now, he needs to play the role that he plays Villa and other plays should compliment him, not the other way around. 

This is harsh. The “I’ve got a Scottish granny” types aren’t as committed imo, it’s their 2nd choice, they didn’t grow up dreaming of playing for Scotland. They look reluctant to be there as McBurnie said at Sheffield United. 

Hate to say it, bar Leigh Griffiths, there is no one to wear the no.9 jersey. I know the laddies a mind**** but he needs to play.

On the upside, good youngsters coming through. We should play them, whether they are 17 years old or not, play them. Start building for the future now.

Steve Clarke should get loads of time. I think he’s the right man for the job but he can only piss with what has got, but he has to be brave and take risks with certain players.

Don’t play at Hampden. Play at Ibrox or Parkhead. I couldn’t give a feck who’s grounds they are, they are miles better. Drop the prices, get the fans packed in.

A lot of valid points in the post but that one is way off the mark. Jack is not good enough for the squad IMO. 

I'm surprised Cairney wasn't in the squad and thought Griffiths could have had an input on the decision to include him or not. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Nookie Bear

• FruitJuice

• sadj

The first thing I would do is ditch Hampden. There are many reasons for the demise of the national team but IMO it's no coincidence that we've struggled since Hampden was redeveloped. It used to be a place that lifted the national team, it's now a terrible ground that just lifts the opposition.

The SFA had the chance to ditch it, but surprise surprise they've chosen to stay put.

36 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

A lot of valid points in the post but that one is way off the mark. Jack is not good enough for the squad IMO. 

I'm surprised Cairney wasn't in the squad and thought Griffiths could have had an input on the decision to include him or not. 

Jack starts for Rangers week in week out.

Cairney doesn’t want to play for Scotland. Another - “my grandad once had a pint of tenants” types, who shouldn’t even be considered because they aren’t committed and don’t give near their all. We used to have guys who’d die on the pitch for the jersey. 

I think Scottish football is actually in a decent state. The current crop are better than we’ve seen in sometime, they’re still not good enough but a fair few of them are the product of much better academy’s and vastly improved coaching methods. These guys are the start of what I see as some very talented youngsters coming through the ranks at a lot of clubs.

Rangers and Celtic destroyed our youth academy’s with their spending and every one tried to keep up with them... that’s not the case now, most clubs are looking to develop their own talent and tap into the lucrative selling to England market.

There’s a lot of talented Scottish lads down south at big clubs and we only need 7 or 8 of them to become top players and we have a national team with some potential.

we need to weather the storm a bit and keep Clarke in place he will pick players on ability and form not who they play for unlike the last few managers.

The next euros, as depressing as that may sound, is realistically where I think we’ll see a quality national side capable of qualifying.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

The reason you have seen a 7yr old laddie barely able to kick a ball is because he wasn't playing in the street from the age of 4 morning noon and night like my generation did.

Also 100% true. It's a generation thing that playing football using your hands, indoors on the telly has overtaken the actual physical game.

I just disagree that grassroots isn't beneficial as alluded to by some on here. I loved my football days at cubs and boys club levels. But the coaching nowadays is much more aimed at building touch and control. I played RB at 11 aside and pretty much had the role of "Tackle their LM then kick it up the pitch".

Stop playing at Hampden, the large pitch suits the technically more gifted teams and they find spaces easier, move to smaller stadiums and tighter pitches to try and make our game more compact and harder to break down.  Not saying it will work mind you!!

10 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Do we even need to coach at those age levels? When we were a force in world football and qualifying for World Cup finals not sure we coached kids at that age. Just let them play. Yes primary school football existed and was very strong but not sure there was much coaching. That started at secondary school or boys club football. Ie 12/13/14 years old 

Feel a lot of the coaching at lower age groups now is a fear thing. Fear that kids just won’t get into football. 

Coaching has become a fad, a bandwagon many jump on to get their ‘badges’.

Think I read a while ago about the Dutch leaving kids up until a certain age to just play and express then introduce coaching at a relevant age.  

fabienleclerq
16 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Coaching has become a fad, a bandwagon many jump on to get their ‘badges’.

Think I read a while ago about the Dutch leaving kids up until a certain age to just play and express then introduce coaching at a relevant age.  

Good point, we need to make it fun again. 

Samuel Camazzola
35 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Jack starts for Rangers week in week out.

Cairney doesn’t want to play for Scotland. Another - “my grandad once had a pint of tenants” types, who shouldn’t even be considered because they aren’t committed and don’t give near their all. We used to have guys who’d die on the pitch for the jersey. 

Whether he starts for Rangers or not doesn't make him good enough. McLean is far more effective than him too. 

Bit of belief wouldn't go amiss, they were playing well till we scored then basically shat it, Mulgrew lost the big man really badly at the 1st goal as well, really poor from him. 

Stephen Muddie
5 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

That would be because it is one of the devolved responsibilities, like health etc. But don’t let the facts get in the way of you post 😂😂😂😂

Devolved eh. I must've missed the announcement of £5million investment from Holyrood (you got a link, a quick search proved fruitless). Early results indicate it's not even 10% of £5million

https://www.gov.scot/publications/foi-17-01307/

The problem lies in the Celtic, Rangers love in, but those in charge of the Scottish game and wilfully supported by the media won’t allow this to change. Until that changes Scottish Football will continue to be shite. 

Oh and I always laugh when I here foreign players need to adapt to the speed of the Scottish game or other such ludicrous claims. Scottish Football needs to adapt to the way other countries play because this being coupled with the Weegie erse cheeks dominance is never going to allow Scottish Football to move onwards and upwards. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

I'd start by banning playstations .

Deprive kids of all toys except footballs.

Pay teachers to have school teams .

Failing that looking at how nations set up at youth level.

We are slower less physical and technically behind.

Maybe Strachan had a point ?

13 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I'd poison Gregg's sausage rolls and Tennents.

Scotland would be 90% smarter in 3 days.

Oh, you meant football.....

Agree on tenants and sausage roll but you cannae whack a sausage cheese and bean melt.

Sluuuuurrrrppp

2 minutes ago, jake said:

Agree on tenants and sausage roll but you cannae whack a sausage cheese and bean melt.

Sluuuuurrrrppp

MMMMM

I actually want one now.

7 minutes ago, jake said:

Sluuuuurrrrppp

No. The wee rascal suggested it was genetics. All was going swimmingly until someone mentioned Spain.

Then he was sacked.....for talking shite !

Probably !

Montgomery Brewster

I have been saying for the past 25 years that we need to bin the blazers. I’ve lived through Ernie Walkers think tank , Jim farrys version and now Henry McLeishs and Project Brave. All utter pish at delivering. 

On a side note we can forget all about the next World Cup qualifiers. Only the 10 group winners in Europe will go through. The 10 remaining 2nd place teams will be joined by 2 from the nations league. 

Those 12 teams will play off home and away against each other to leave 6 teams. Those 6 teams will then play off against each other. Again home and away.  Leaving 3 teams to join the other 10. 

Grim times . The tache must go !

Dagger Is Back

Massive problem for us as a nation

Our problems

Technology - some kids would rather play FIFA than actually go out with their mates and a ball

Parents - too many snowflakes worried about they’d kids to the point of not letting them out if their sight. I’d argue kids are safer now than ever before with mobile phones a plenty

Parents - lazy parents who take the easy option. Out to throw/kick a ball with the kids or tell them to watch TV/play their Ipad?

Society - in an era of cutbacks, sell off leisure areas, increase leisure charges which discourage kids and families, fail to deliver quality PE to our nursery/school kids and fail to realise the true cost of an unfit population and the benefits of sport in terms of mental health 

Football clubs - your Academies hoover up kids in their thousands. You refuse to allow kids to play football with their schools etc. You over coach them and take the fun out of it for many in your relentless search for that ONE star. The rest? Jettison them because they’re not good enough. You create a false hope and build a dream that for many, is just that

Our football players are just that. I remember reading someone years ago saying that many world class players were actually athletes who could have been successful at a range of different sports 

Give up this campaign, stick with Clarke and let this young generation enjoy sport. Let them play as the great players of our youth and memories played, Dalglish, Johnstone, Baxter, Mackay etc

I know I’m biased but let the kids experience multi sports and benefit from all that that brings. There will be time for the Academies etc to pick them up once they’ve done that 

Above all get back to the basics of being a kid. Walk around your housing estate just now, walk past your local park and green areas. It’s a lovely day today.

How many kids have you seen out being active?

In many cases kids are being failed miserably by major stakeholders 

Rant over

Do whatever Belgium did 20 years ago. We were at a similar level then. There national League is poor with a couple of big club dominating. They did something right, we did nothing.

SpruceBringsteen

See Kosovo (population 1.8 million) have just went top of their group. Seems then all we need is a bit civil war, then to declare UDI.

Or maybe politics has nothing to do with it, unless you're a tragic ****ing imbecile.

15 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

1. Scottish independence so we're a proper country like everywhere else, not the snivelling, bent at the knee, feardie, pretendy, 90-minute nation we currently are 

2. Fork out for a good manager with a long track record, ideally at international level, not just a couple of seasons with Killie

3. Scottish independence

4. Blood youth at international level much, much sooner. I noticed NI were calling's up the likes of Bobby Burns for their friendly. When do we do that with youngsters?

5. Scottish independence

6. Get Barry Hearn back in (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30324888) and do everything he says

7. Scottish independence

8. Play everywhere except Hampden

Absolutely everything above.

2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

I'd poison Gregg's sausage rolls and Tennents.

Scotland would be 90% smarter in 3 days.

Oh, you meant football.....

😂

48 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

That twat featured arsehole Willie Miller said today that Scotland need to get something from Russia then beat the minnows. 

:rofl:

Scotland are a minnow ya feckin baldy, slavering phallus. 

:rofl:classic Jonno 

As a nation we seem to have a defeatist attitude.Wales and Northern Ireland are about the same level as us albeit Wales have Bale but overall these nations are about the same but they seem to play with far more pride and determination with managers that instill and demand that pride which is the very least you should expect when representing your country.

This might be controversial but I would limit the number of players who were not born in Scotland. We talk about other smaller nations who are better than us - Wales and Iceland come to mind - and a commonality there is they have players who were born in the country and have a passion. I know beggars can't be choosers but we seem to have players who only get a game with us because they aren't good enough for England. How many of them grew up dreaming of playing for Scotland and only now claim they do because it will help their pay negotiations at their club. Why do we wait until players are 25 or 26 and are doing well in the Championship before they are identified as Scottish. How many of our players have played for us at other age levels? Anyway that is just one part of a much bigger solution.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Just watched the WSL Manchester Derby almost as many fans at it as were at Hampden last night. 

I don't know what the admission cost was but I'm pretty confident it would have been priced correctly. 

17 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

1. Scottish independence so we're a proper country like everywhere else, not the snivelling, bent at the knee, feardie, pretendy, 90-minute nation we currently are 

2. Fork out for a good manager with a long track record, ideally at international level, not just a couple of seasons with Killie

3. Scottish independence

4. Blood youth at international level much, much sooner. I noticed NI were calling's up the likes of Bobby Burns for their friendly. When do we do that with youngsters?

5. Scottish independence

6. Get Barry Hearn back in (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30324888) and do everything he says

7. Scottish independence

To be fair, you can read some utter pish on here, but you take it to another level . Well done. 

I’d probably do away with any national anthems that refer to being a nation, being brave, or having our own identity too.

The region of Scotland had the chance to fulfil the meaning behind all our previous Scottish national anthems in 2014; without even raising a sword/gun. All we had to do was use a pen... the most mighty of weapons apparently.

Singing about our national identity and our pride in it, or being a country again seems absolutely laughable and hypocritical when statistically the majority of those who sing it, turned down the opportunity to actually do it.

Scotland the BRAVE and Flower of SCOTLAND obviously don’t speak for the majority of those who sing it at Hampden or Murrayfield.

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Should we stop using the term 'The Tartan Army'?

Probably. It means **** all. Change it to:

‘The Self-loathing get-together in checkers’.

2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Give me a T. Give me an S. Give me an L...'

Might as well. All the previous and the current Scottish anthems we use mean nothing. :( 

What are your thoughts on our national anthems?

I’m at the point where I’d rather our national anthem was ‘God Save the Queen’.

At least that way it would be the appropriate song for the majority of those who sing it at football and rugby events.

I could sing ‘Scotland the Brave’ and ‘Flower of Scotland’ as a “rebel” and a “separatist”... then the two songs would actually mean something, sung by those who believe in the meaning.

2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Flower of Scotland is done. 

God Save the Queen is done.

What do you mean “done”?

18 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

3. Scottish independence

5. Scottish independence

7. Scottish independence

I agree with 4 and 6. And independence but cant see how that helps. And 8 actually 

Edited by LeftBack

6 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

done = over, finished, burnt out

Ah... so you mean both anthems should be scrapped? 

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

Why, in your opinion? For both songs I mean.

Too dated. If Scotland ever goes independent then a new anthem is a must. I can’t see the English loving royalty forever... 

1.) Independence. Over and above every other argument for this, I wonder what the impact of this would be - Would more money be available to invest in grass roots? What European Union funds are available to help rebuild things from the ground up? Taking control of our own affairs would allow government funds to be directed towards causes which will benefit the social good - improving youngsters access to sports to reduce childhood obesity for example.

2.) Transparency and democracy. SFA is an old boys club centred around 2 clubs from the same city. For any sort of tangible change to occur we need to move the SFA to Edinburgh, Dundee or Aberdeen. Sell Hampden and move into Murrayfield. Smaller games can be played at Pittodrie, Tynie & Easter road. Physically being out of Glasgow will IMO force the sort of thinking which embraces that the world doesn't begin and end on the Clyde. I also refuse to accept that there isn't intimidation from the locals.

2a.) I want every senior position within the SFA to be electable by the chairmen of the clubs, who action their vote based on internal votes from each clubs season ticket holders. Most democratic way forward I can see. 

3.) Open up the league. We need more than 12 teams in our top league. Its a pathetic and boring number that takes away any interest in the league. Playing Celtic or St Mirren 4 times a season is utterly depressing. Not only this, but having more games against weaker opposition gives managers the chance to blood more kids and really give the national team the numbers it needs. 

4.) Foreign referees. As it suggests, the current batch cannot be trusted and overwhelmingly hail from the greater Glasgow area. Dubious decisions have plagued Scottish football for years largely in favour of 2 teams. Its time to accept there is implicit bias and take steps to remove this from the game. 

None of this will ever happen, because turkeys do not vote for Christmas, and quite frankly, we will need to wait until they run the game into the ground and the SFA financially collapses before we'll finally be rid of these leeches. 

Final point, I have no interest debating the pro's and con's of Indy, at the end of the day, the question is how would you fix Scotland?' In my view that is a viable solution for improving Scottish football and society in general. 

15 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Unfortunately the pool we have is shit in certain areas.

No top quality young goalkeepers coming through. League 1 dross isn’t International standard. David Marshall is a good keeper but he, like Gordon and McGregor are getting on in years.

The right back position is rancid. Callum Paterson isn’t and never was a right back. Stephen O’Donnell isn’t International standard but he is all there is. “What kin ye dae”. 🤷🏼‍♂️

There are good centerhalfs but they are young, untried and neither McLeish nor Clarke have been willing to take a chance on them. I.E. Souttar, Halkett, Lindsay, need to play these guys. 

Left back is a strong position but Robertson is pish for Scotland for some reason. Maybe it’s because he’s used to playing with better players. 

Midfield is actually good imo but, (and this might upset some folk) I’d rather have Ryan Jack in there than McTominay and sorry but John McGinn’s the main man in there now, he needs to play the role that he plays Villa and other plays should compliment him, not the other way around. 

This is harsh. The “I’ve got a Scottish granny” types aren’t as committed imo, it’s their 2nd choice, they didn’t grow up dreaming of playing for Scotland. They look reluctant to be there as McBurnie said at Sheffield United. 

Hate to say it, bar Leigh Griffiths, there is no one to wear the no.9 jersey. I know the laddies a mind**** but he needs to play.

On the upside, good youngsters coming through. We should play them, whether they are 17 years old or not, play them. Start building for the future now.

Steve Clarke should get loads of time. I think he’s the right man for the job but he can only piss with what has got, but he has to be brave and take risks with certain players.

Don’t play at Hampden. Play at Ibrox or Parkhead. I couldn’t give a feck who’s grounds they are, they are miles better. Drop the prices, get the fans packed in.

Spot on

Just now, OTT said:

1.) Independence. Over and above every other argument for this, I wonder what the impact of this would be - Would more money be available to invest in grass roots? What European Union funds are available to help rebuild things from the ground up? Taking control of our own affairs would allow government funds to be directed towards causes which will benefit the social good - improving youngsters access to sports to reduce childhood obesity for example.

2.) Transparency and democracy. SFA is an old boys club centred around 2 clubs from the same city. For any sort of tangible change to occur we need to move the SFA to Edinburgh, Dundee or Aberdeen. Sell Hampden and move into Murrayfield. Smaller games can be played at Pittodrie, Tynie & Easter road. Physically being out of Glasgow will IMO force the sort of thinking which embraces that the world doesn't begin and end on the Clyde. I also refuse to accept that there isn't intimidation from the locals.

2a.) I want every senior position within the SFA to be electable by the chairmen of the clubs, who action their vote based on internal votes from each clubs season ticket holders. Most democratic way forward I can see. 

3.) Open up the league. We need more than 12 teams in our top league. Its a pathetic and boring number that takes away any interest in the league. Playing Celtic or St Mirren 4 times a season is utterly depressing. Not only this, but having more games against weaker opposition gives managers the chance to blood more kids and really give the national team the numbers it needs. 

4.) Foreign referees. As it suggests, the current batch cannot be trusted and overwhelmingly hail from the greater Glasgow area. Dubious decisions have plagued Scottish football for years largely in favour of 2 teams. Its time to accept there is implicit bias and take steps to remove this from the game. 

None of this will ever happen, because turkeys do not vote for Christmas, and quite frankly, we will need to wait until they run the game into the ground and the SFA financially collapses before we'll finally be rid of these leeches. 

Final point, I have no interest debating the pro's and con's of Indy, at the end of the day, the question is how would you fix Scotland?' In my view that is a viable solution for improving Scottish football and society in general. 

This

6 hours ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Anyone over 28 at this moment would be gone until the play off. 

Every time we get emptied early from a group, and this has been over since Kazakhstan if we're honest, we waste game opportunities for the next generation. 

What is the point of picking Mulgrew, Marshall, Naismith etc now? They probably won't be playing at 2020,and they certainly won't be playing in the qualifying for 2022.

Get players together who will be coming through together in time for the 2022 qualifiers and Build something. 

Play them in these meaningless matches. Give them experience. 

We make this mistake every time. Too many players just hanging around squads. What was the point of taking Naismith? 

Chuck them in. Some might sink, some might float. We seems to be the only national team who's afraid of teach our youngsters a lesson. 

This to me is what Bertie Vogts was doing terrible record in friendlies but pretty good in competitive matches or am i talking keek

@Icon of Symmetry what about A new national national anthem with no words so players don’t look like they have no idea of the lyrics because they weren’t born in Scotland and only play for us as they can’t get in their birth nations teams?

Konrad von Carstein
19 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

The Scottish National Party are turning Scotland against each other. On and off the pitch.

You really are a big lubed phallus, eh.

19 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I'm not buying that. I coach 2010s and I have done for nearly 3 years. I've seen laddies at training (7 years old) at the start cant kick a ball properly at all and now they're decent wee dribblers and players. Better they do that now than start at 12,13

Plus my laddies just got selected for the Midlothian development team. I'll be honest, He's not the most skillful in his team, he's not the best shot striker but what he is is composed and has a good wee fitba brain on him. He's 9 and he gets passing into space not necessary to feet. Hes way ahead of 9 year old me who was playing 11 aside, full size pitch and goals. Modern coaching has done that.

Good post; wholeheartedly agree.  Done correctly and positively, coaching will always pretty much trump the 'Just let them play' approach.

18 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

1.For me we need better facilities, some of the pitches etc in this country are a disgrace. 

2. The way the game is refereed here needs to change, we basically encourage thugs over ball players. It works until they reach a certain age then leaves us miles behind. 

3. Players need to be more committed to being athletes. In England the players are tanks, you don't need money to be in good shape 

This in spades; been saying the same thing for yrs.  Way too much intimidation in the sport that puts off more technical players, who are ultimately lost to the game.