How Would you Fix Scotland?

CostaJambo

So no Hearts game this week-end and no doubt some of our football obsessed posters will be at a loose end...

Hoping for at least a few sensible posts from people who actually understand football and some reasonable football debate before the thread descends into a Levein oot one.

Leaving aside the Scotland team's recent past and moving forward, how would you fix it? Does any Jambo really care?

For me:

1. Keep Clarke, I am not convinced anyone could do any better and I am sure he sees the Scotland gig as a positive one and is desperate to succeed..

2. This would be difficult as the OF have their own agenda but if possible get someone who actually has some respect in the Scottish game to work with the clubs to develop a basic common playing style for the youngsters. Alex Ferguson would be ideal as he doesn't come with any Old Firm baggage and all clubs would listen to him but I doubt he would want to get involved at this stage of his life. Forget about dinosaurs like Strachan etc.

3. Choose passion over club, i.e. start blooding players who want to play for Scotland rather than guys playing in England who are more bothered about their next big money move or OF players who will call off from friendlies for fear of getting injured.

4. Wipe out this Euro campaign (including the Nations League qualifier) and just start working towards the next World Cup.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Nookie Bear

• FruitJuice

• sadj

kingantti1874

Get rid of those in charge of setting the shape of football at youth level and get rid of every coach  every coach at youth level who picks 6,7,8,9 year old based on size and speed . Brainless - the lot of them

When the players said..we dropped off...when the pundits said....we dropped off....and then, cherry on the cake, the manager says....we froze after we scored, 

tells me the wrong people are in the jobs that matter.

I found myself saying, during the game, and when listening to the interviews...” well, don’t ****ing drop off then ! Press ! “

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Get rid of those in charge of setting the shape of football at youth level and get rid of every coach  every coach at youth level who picks 6,7,8,9 year old based on size and speed . Brainless - the lot of them

Fair enough, I agree with you, but how do you achieve that? Is it feasible to expect guys who only coach 6, 7, 8, 9 year olds so their boy gets a game to change this or does it need a strong push and consistent training guidelines to convince them that their kids will become better players in the long run if they buy into a national programme?

6 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Fair enough, I agree with you, but how do you achieve that? Is it feasible to expect guys who only coach 6, 7, 8, 9 year olds so their boy gets a game to change this or does it need a strong push and consistent training guidelines to convince them that their kids will become better players in the long run if they buy into a national programme?

Do we even need to coach at those age levels? When we were a force in world football and qualifying for World Cup finals not sure we coached kids at that age. Just let them play. Yes primary school football existed and was very strong but not sure there was much coaching. That started at secondary school or boys club football. Ie 12/13/14 years old 

Feel a lot of the coaching at lower age groups now is a fear thing. Fear that kids just won’t get into football. 

Actually put into practice the good things that countries like Belgium,  Holland, Croatia  and Switzerland do. I suspect we send a delegation on a junket to stay in a nice hotel and give them beer money rather than a notepad and pen...

Edited by Spellczech

Scotland can't be fixed. It can never be fixed until the Old Firm, who dominate every single thing in Scottish football despite both clubs having contempt for Scotland, leave: either for England or a European Super League.

Never-ending Old Firm dominance on the pitch results in Old Firm-friendly referees, Old Firm-friendly administrators, Old Firm-friendly journalists, and Old Firm-friendly managers. All of whom are raised in the same backwards beyond system and perpetuate it, seemingly forevermore. A backwards beyond belief system which still treats Celtic and Rangers as incredibly important when self-evidently, they no longer are. A backwards beyond belief system which is exposed every single week by leagues across Europe which, unlike in the past, people can watch at the click of a button.

The national team can't be fixed until it's prioritised. It will never be prioritised as long as the Old Firm remain. Only Celtic and Rangers matter to almost everyone who's anyone in the Scottish game. Their impact is to be the jailers of Scottish football: holding it prisoner to their resources, their needs and their bigotry. If another club builds a good young side, the players are bought by the Old Firm and left on the bench, while their new club complains about "lack of competition". No other club can sustainably grow and become a challenger because of a prize money and revenue system which again, prioritises the Glasgow two at everyone else's expense. And as Celtic and Rangers go backwards on the pitch, so does everyone else. On and on and on it goes.

Gate receipt sharing? The Old Firm would never accept it. Summer football? Ditto. A larger league? Same again. Championship playoffs? Ibid. Two bald men fighting over a comb in a constant race to the bottom in which the victims are everyone else. But nothing will ever, ever be done about it. The national team's practically been allowed to die, it's been so bad for so long - yet its failure for more than a generation has resulted in the square root of sweet FA being done to change things.  

Scotland got away with much of this in the past because football wasn't global in the way it is now; because there were fewer national teams while the USSR and the former Yugoslavia were still intact; and as more or less the founders of the sport, it had a historic advantage over most other nations for a long, long time. Yet other nations modernised. Other nations brought in new coaching methods. Scotland just stayed the same ("get your foot in! Be hard to beat! Hoof it up the park! When in doubt, hoof it out!")... and the one good thing it kept doing, producing great managers, has stopped as well.

And of course, kids no longer playing football in the streets and de-industrialisation have more than played their part as well. It's playstation, the internet, mobile phones and junk food instead. As a result of all this, there's nothing left. The baw's burst. The game's a bogey.

Edited by shaun.lawson

4 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Just liquidate us. 

Then Scotland can come back as The Scotland, and start again as bottom seeds in qualifying.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Just now, Gorgieboy7 said:

Play in a stadium which is full and suits our game.

Actually a good point. There's no reason at all why Scotland should play all competitive matches in Glasgow. 

Unfortunately the pool we have is shit in certain areas.

No top quality young goalkeepers coming through. League 1 dross isn’t International standard. David Marshall is a good keeper but he, like Gordon and McGregor are getting on in years.

The right back position is rancid. Callum Paterson isn’t and never was a right back. Stephen O’Donnell isn’t International standard but he is all there is. “What kin ye dae”. 🤷🏼‍♂️

There are good centerhalfs but they are young, untried and neither McLeish nor Clarke have been willing to take a chance on them. I.E. Souttar, Halkett, Lindsay, need to play these guys. 

Left back is a strong position but Robertson is pish for Scotland for some reason. Maybe it’s because he’s used to playing with better players. 

Midfield is actually good imo but, (and this might upset some folk) I’d rather have Ryan Jack in there than McTominay and sorry but John McGinn’s the main man in there now, he needs to play the role that he plays Villa and other plays should compliment him, not the other way around. 

This is harsh. The “I’ve got a Scottish granny” types aren’t as committed imo, it’s their 2nd choice, they didn’t grow up dreaming of playing for Scotland. They look reluctant to be there as McBurnie said at Sheffield United. 

Hate to say it, bar Leigh Griffiths, there is no one to wear the no.9 jersey. I know the laddies a mind**** but he needs to play.

On the upside, good youngsters coming through. We should play them, whether they are 17 years old or not, play them. Start building for the future now.

Steve Clarke should get loads of time. I think he’s the right man for the job but he can only piss with what has got, but he has to be brave and take risks with certain players.

Don’t play at Hampden. Play at Ibrox or Parkhead. I couldn’t give a feck who’s grounds they are, they are miles better. Drop the prices, get the fans packed in.

Guest ToqueJambo

1. Scottish independence so we're a proper country like everywhere else, not the snivelling, bent at the knee, feardie, pretendy, 90-minute nation we currently are 

2. Fork out for a good manager with a long track record, ideally at international level, not just a couple of seasons with Killie

3. Scottish independence

4. Blood youth at international level much, much sooner. I noticed NI were calling's up the likes of Bobby Burns for their friendly. When do we do that with youngsters?

5. Scottish independence

6. Get Barry Hearn back in (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30324888) and do everything he says

7. Scottish independence

8. Play everywhere except Hampden

Edited by ToqueJambo

Stephen Muddie
20 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The Scottish National Party are turning Scotland against each other. On and off the pitch.

:what:

Honestly... I don't even know how you're still here. Every single post is a troll attempt. You not tired?

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

1. Scottish independence so we're a proper country like everywhere else, not the snivelling, bent at the knee, feardie, pretendy, 90-minute nation we currently are 

2. Fork out for a good manager with a long track record, ideally at international level, not just a couple of seasons with Killie

3. Scottish independence

4. Blood youth at international level much, much sooner. I noticed NI were calling's up the likes of Bobby Burns for their friendly. When do we do that with youngsters?

5. Scottish independence

6. Get Barry Hearn back in (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30324888) and do everything he says

7. Scottish independence

On point 4, we do that to try and stop the Mexican neighbours poaching them, although they never try and poach people from "unionist" areas for some reason....(anyway, they are welcome to James McClean).

48 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Scotland can't be fixed. It can never be fixed until the Old Firm, who dominate every single thing in Scottish football despite both clubs having contempt for Scotland, leave: either for England or a European Super League.

Never-ending Old Firm dominance on the pitch results in Old Firm-friendly referees, Old Firm-friendly administrators, Old Firm-friendly journalists, and Old Firm-friendly managers. All of whom are raised in the same backwards beyond system and perpetuate it, seemingly forevermore. A backwards beyond belief system which still treats Celtic and Rangers as incredibly important when self-evidently, they no longer are. A backwards beyond belief system which is exposed every single week by leagues across Europe which, unlike in the past, people can watch at the click of a button.

The national team can't be fixed until it's prioritised. It will never be prioritised as long as the Old Firm remain. Only Celtic and Rangers matter to almost everyone who's anyone in the Scottish game. Their impact is to be the jailers of Scottish football: holding it prisoner to their resources, their needs and their bigotry. If another club builds a good young side, the players are bought by the Old Firm and left on the bench, while their new club complains about "lack of competition". No other club can sustainably grow and become a challenger because of a prize money and revenue system which again, prioritises the Glasgow two at everyone else's expense. And as Celtic and Rangers go backwards on the pitch, so does everyone else. On and on and on it goes.

Gate receipt sharing? The Old Firm would never accept it. Summer football? Ditto. A larger league? Same again. Championship playoffs? Ibid. Two bald men fighting over a comb in a constant race to the bottom in which the victims are everyone else. But nothing will ever, ever be done about it. The national team's practically been allowed to die, it's been so bad for so long - yet its failure for more than a generation has resulted in the square root of sweet FA being done to change things.  

Scotland got away with much of this in the past because football wasn't global in the way it is now; because there were fewer national teams while the USSR and the former Yugoslavia were still intact; and as more or less the founders of the sport, it had a historic advantage over most other nations for a long, long time. Yet other nations modernised. Other nations brought in new coaching methods. Scotland just stayed the same ("get your foot in! Be hard to beat! Hoof it up the park! When in doubt, hoof it out!")... and the one good thing it kept doing, producing great managers, has stopped as well.

And of course, kids no longer playing football in the streets and de-industrialisation have more than played their part as well. It's playstation, the internet, mobile phones and junk food instead. As a result of all this, there's nothing left. The baw's burst. The game's a bogey.

That’s a good post and pretty much sums us up. 

31 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Actually a good point. There's no reason at all why Scotland should play all competitive matches in Glasgow. 

Where should they have played that game against Russia bearing in mind the crowd was over 30,000?

Edit: Sorry, you did say "all" matches.

Edited by graygo

Teach our players from a young age that if they want to pass to another player, there is actually a possibility that one of the opposition players might want to get to the ball first. Some of the passing tonight was woeful, and that seems a common characteristic with Scottish football.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Do we even need to coach at those age levels? When we were a force in world football and qualifying for World Cup finals not sure we coached kids at that age. Just let them play. Yes primary school football existed and was very strong but not sure there was much coaching. That started at secondary school or boys club football. Ie 12/13/14 years old 

Feel a lot of the coaching at lower age groups now is a fear thing. Fear that kids just won’t get into football. 

I'm not buying that. I coach 2010s and I have done for nearly 3 years. I've seen laddies at training (7 years old) at the start cant kick a ball properly at all and now they're decent wee dribblers and players. Better they do that now than start at 12,13

Plus my laddies just got selected for the Midlothian development team. I'll be honest, He's not the most skillful in his team, he's not the best shot striker but what he is is composed and has a good wee fitba brain on him. He's 9 and he gets passing into space not necessary to feet. Hes way ahead of 9 year old me who was playing 11 aside, full size pitch and goals. Modern coaching has done that.

If Robertson becomes a truly world class player, he will be the first for generations imo.  Players like Law, Baxter and McNeil were regarded as such outside Scotland.

I doubt if there are more than 3 players in the side today I would even recognise.

Easy to blame technology entertainment these days but they do have the internet in Belgium for example.

I fully agree that the total domination of Celtic and rangers now completely stifles our game.

fabienleclerq

1.For me we need better facilities, some of the pitches etc in this country are a disgrace. 

2. The way the game is refereed here needs to change, we basically encourage thugs over ball players. It works until they reach a certain age then leaves us miles behind. 

3. Players need to be more committed to being athletes. In England the players are tanks, you don't need money to be in good shape 

I don't think we are that far away, but we do lack a Colin Hendry type leader at the back and a striker. I would have selected Griffiths and played him as he's the only proven striker we have. McBurnie is an inflated £20m prospect that was out his depth tonight. 

Everything is Shit or Briliiant. Expectation levels are insane and basic football knowledge is non existent. 

The atmosphere at games is negative and the players get the blame now for not performing. 

Far to much pressure is heaped on young shoulders and as soon as a decent young player arrives the expectation is we have a world beater on our hands and qualification is just around the corner. The atmosphere at that game last night was horrendous. 

It's little wonder the players freeze and looked totally distraught after the game and probably don't enjoy playing in that environment. Very English like until Southgate has rocked up and got the laddies in and just let's them enjoy themselves. 

Scottish mentality is still in the dark ages still desperate for hatred and negativity. 

Where do you start??

Banning all disinterested, lazy OF players would be the very least.

Berti Vogts saw the institutionalised problems with the Scottish game and tried to find a remedy that may have worked if given enough time in the job.

The entire culture of Scottish football needs to change, and that means a total re-structuring of the domestic situation from the very grass-roots level all the way through a new pyramid right to the top league.

We all know why this won't ever be allowed to happen.

As long as the Old Firm get all the money, all the press attention, all the preferential refereeing and a totally free hand to act in any way they please, the game of football in Scotland and by extension the fate of the national team will continue to wither on the vine.

We can't seem to coach young strikers at any club. When was the last time the national side had a proven goalscorer? Please spare me the Kenny Miller answers.

5 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

That would be because it is one of the devolved responsibilities, like health etc. But don’t let the facts get in the way of you post 😂😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I genuinely wouldn’t miss it.

No one would really. The modern game is moving past international football, not needed. 

6 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

:what:

Honestly... I don't even know how you're still here. Every single post is a troll attempt. You not tired?

The country is bitter and divided. Look at a country like Wales. Fully united and their sporting teams reflect this. I don't see the rise of Scottish Nationalism around 20 years ago about the time we got shite at the 2 main sports football and rugby as a coincidence.

How would Independence fix the national team?

Genuine question, because Wales and N Ireland do alright for their size. 

And saying Scotland is somehow a snivelling, bent at knee, wee nation doesn’t cut it for me because that is never something anyone could accuse Scottish sports people as being. 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

3. Scottish independence

5. Scottish independence

7. Scottish independence

Create a British National team. It works at the Olympics. 

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, tcjambo said:

Create a British National team. It works at the Olympics. 

How many Olympic gold medals has the British national football team won?

Special Agent Dale Cooper

We have better players, playing consistently well at a higher level than the recent past.

I think it's a mindset, the players looked terrified on the pitch last night. Going 1-0 up so early should have been a morale booster but we went inside our collective shell and lost all composure. It even felt like the crowd were counting down the minutes until we conceded. Whether it's fear of failure or something more ingrained in the national mindset I'm not sure.

But how you change that is anyone's guess. More Vitamin D would be a good start.

7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Nailed it. 

I’d add in the failing to accept our new standing or proper expectations for the side as well. We have this weird perception of ourselves as contenders and it clouds our judgement on good and bad. Being beat at home to a side as good as Russia, is it all that bad considering where we sit within the international land scape? We have this sort of weird arrogance as I’ve the game owes us something because in 1972 we had the makings of a great side. 

Scottish football needs knocked down and rebuilt, from scratch, right across the board. 

7 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I'm not buying that. I coach 2010s and I have done for nearly 3 years. I've seen laddies at training (7 years old) at the start cant kick a ball properly at all and now they're decent wee dribblers and players. Better they do that now than start at 12,13

Plus my laddies just got selected for the Midlothian development team. I'll be honest, He's not the most skillful in his team, he's not the best shot striker but what he is is composed and has a good wee fitba brain on him. He's 9 and he gets passing into space not necessary to feet. Hes way ahead of 9 year old me who was playing 11 aside, full size pitch and goals. Modern coaching has done that.

The reason you have seen a 7yr old laddie barely able to kick a ball is because he wasn't playing in the street from the age of 4 morning noon and night like my generation did.

8 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

👏👏 Loads won't like it but you're spot on

9 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Bin international football, totally pointless for us. 

9 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I genuinely wouldn’t miss it.

:spoton:

brunoatemyhamster

Anyone over 28 at this moment would be gone until the play off. 

Every time we get emptied early from a group, and this has been over since Kazakhstan if we're honest, we waste game opportunities for the next generation. 

What is the point of picking Mulgrew, Marshall, Naismith etc now? They probably won't be playing at 2020,and they certainly won't be playing in the qualifying for 2022.

Get players together who will be coming through together in time for the 2022 qualifiers and Build something. 

Play them in these meaningless matches. Give them experience. 

We make this mistake every time. Too many players just hanging around squads. What was the point of taking Naismith? 

Chuck them in. Some might sink, some might float. We seems to be the only national team who's afraid of teach our youngsters a lesson. 

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

kingantti1874
9 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

how do they achieve it in other countries?  There is one thing I’m aware of, in some system countries boys are split down inside the age groups by quarter of the year to prevent boys who are born on the 1st of jan having an enormous advantage over boys born on the 30th of December.

In NZ rugby boys are matched off by physicality so that the smaller boys don’t get put off before they’ve a chance to catch up. The former was a recommended made to the SFA which they decided not to adopt.. 

the whole system is run by clowns