Scotland v Russia

FWJ

15 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Games build confidence, he didn’t fit into the hoof way of thinking and Russia had him for toast.

Same, he won’t though, I think Scotland is a high priority of Naismith. 

It's  legacy.  It should.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagan

• Lovecraft

• iantjambo

• RobNox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been all over the world watching Scotland over the last 20 years and love the trips (probably more than the actual games tbh) but these last couple of years I have not been to many games for various reasons, nothing to do with how pish we are as we are always pish barring a few nearly campaigns. What’s telling is though theses days is that every nation we come up against are almost all more physically built compared to our players, technically better as well, why is that? The Russians are huge, compared to our team, I know the populations of theirs dwarfs ours, but we don’t seem to have that team of giants that’s required who can also play a bit, we have guys like mcgreggor and Christie who are very good players but not physically able to compete against the likes of the Russian lads. Anyway I’m starting to talk pish so will finish there 😁

3 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

I have been all over the world watching Scotland over the last 20 years and love the trips (probably more than the actual games tbh) but these last couple of years I have not been to many games for various reasons, nothing to do with how pish we are as we are always pish barring a few nearly campaigns. What’s telling is though theses days is that every nation we come up against are almost all more physically built compared to our players, technically better as well, why is that? The Russians are huge, compared to our team, I know the populations of theirs dwarfs ours, but we don’t seem to have that team of giants that’s required who can also play a bit, we have guys like mcgreggor and Christie who are very good players but not physically able to compete against the likes of the Russian lads. Anyway I’m starting to talk pish so will finish there 😁

Basically you agree with Strachan. Genetics. 😉

Bazzas right boot

The decline of our national and club game has been gradual for 20 years now. 

Our governing body has done nothing to help or reverse it, in fact I'd argue many of the things they do are actually counter productive. 

Almost every other country has Improved in sum shape or form or had a decent spell. 

We have been in a 20 year decline and our governing body is responsible. 

It's a staggering decline played out in full view, yet nothing changes. 

That's at club and international level. 

It's just boring now, fundamental change has been needed for over a decade now. 

Instead, we'll moan, hope and if it goes pear shaped we'll replace the manager in about a year or so again. 

4 minutes ago, farin said:

I didn’t even watch the game, just can’t raise the enthusiasm over the national team anymore. 

Why would you then jump into a Scotland match thread?  To check the score of the game you didn’t want to watch? I don’t even know how that makes sense :lol: 

Just now, Smack said:

Well if that’s what he said then possibly yes, we are clueless at times when in possession, it’s been creeping in more and more over the last ten to twenty years, we are a team of miniatures who can’t play as team 😂. How far as a nation we have fallen is ridiculous compared to the ones we would class as minnows 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Smack said:

The final nail in that ginger coffin.

He was toast after that comment.

Just home.

A very Scottish performance. Hard work with some false hope, a scattering of silly defending and a just not enough in the final third.

Wait....did I just describe Hearts as well?

1 hour ago, VALDOS' said:

Couldn't agree more, genuinely the teams in my sons age group are full of big hoofers, if the thick ***** running half the teams realised the little lads will by pass them in 5 or 6 years. 

We've actually had idiot parents complain that we are not playing our strongest team lol. 

Strongest being how much they can bench-press?

52 minutes ago, farin said:

I didn’t “jump” onto anything, I’m reading the match thread & replying to a post. It’s called participation 😎 

Fair enough mate, no idea why you would want to participate in something you’ve no interest in but your call. 

53 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Why would you then jump into a Scotland match thread?  To check the score of the game you didn’t want to watch? I don’t even know how that makes sense :lol: 

The guy checked out the score and came onto here to post how he felt about the national team. 

It makes sense because nobody really cares anymore about Scotland. 

I used to but can't be arsed anymore. Just focus on Hearts now because that never leaves you. 

Sad to say but the national team do. 

We are an embarrassment. 

Look at Belgium ffs. Made massive steps yet we go backwards. 

Stephen Muddie
7 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The guy checked out the score and came onto here to post how he felt about the national team. 

It makes sense because nobody really cares anymore about Scotland. 

I used to but can't be arsed anymore. Just focus on Hearts now because that never leaves you. 

Sad to say but the national team do. 

We are an embarrassment. 

Look at Belgium ffs. Made massive steps yet we go backwards. 

https://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-1120_en.htm

The Future's Maroon
5 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Never mind - the babysitter usually gets some action in all the videos I’ve seen 

Correct!! 

4 hours ago, Sagan said:

This is like watching hearts against ross county

You have to be at it?!

dont  think anyone else has said it it yet....

Levein oot

Edited by The Future's Maroon

Riddley Walker
8 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Eh, because they were born in England and brought up in England.

It's actually quite a simple concept.

It's an even simpler concept that if one of your parents is Scottish, then you are half Scottish, regardless of where you are born.

10 hours ago, RobNox said:

To distinguish themselves from women,  it's a show of masculinity, an exclusive male only club that women can't join.

suppose, lol.

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The decline of our national and club game has been gradual for 20 years now. 

Our governing body has done nothing to help or reverse it, in fact I'd argue many of the things they do are actually counter productive. 

Almost every other country has Improved in sum shape or form or had a decent spell. 

We have been in a 20 year decline and our governing body is responsible. 

It's a staggering decline played out in full view, yet nothing changes. 

That's at club and international level. 

It's just boring now, fundamental change has been needed for over a decade now. 

Instead, we'll moan, hope and if it goes pear shaped we'll replace the manager in about a year or so again. 

Correct, sacking the manager is the key to success, works every time.

Forget forward planning and building a strategy and a stable platform to build from, we want it and we want it now is the way to go. 

Patience has no place in Scottish Football. 

9 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

I don't get this?

Are you suggesting 8m EUR of investment in a few stadiums is the key? The total amount invested wouldn't even find half of our new stand.

Apologies if I'm missing something. It's an interesting read but it doesn't sound all that revolutionary.

3 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Forget forward planning and building a strategy and a stable platform to build from, we want it and we want it now is the way to go. 

It does at Hearts to be fair. We have had a failing manager for 3 seasons now. That's a very long time in football.

1 hour ago, farin said:

When you look at the crowds it seems a lot of fans feel like this tbh, apathy sets in its easy not to go. Maybe if we managed to qualify for something peoples interest would increase though. 

Im auld enough to remember world cup qualifications back in the 70s, 80s and 90s, we have gone so far back in football terms is beyond belief. 

"We are so far behind due too our belief that we are better than we are. There are a half dozen Div 2 english league teams  capable  of holding there own in our premier league that is fact believe me. Who wins most youth tournaments in europe and also senior tournaments. Spain France and Germany why arent we sending our coaches to these countries to learn what they are doing to there youth systems that we are not . Also why is it we employ  a cheap or novice type coach to improve our youth surely experienced managers out of work or employ a foreign coach who has been involved in a top european countries youth development and send him around our clubs to give our youth coaches the successful work needed to improve our youth"

Shamelessly stolen the above from Paul Sturrock's Facebook page.

This the words of an ex-manager in SPL and a good track record in lower leagues down south.

Would have love him as a Hearts boss, he is a bit of a Jambo in his youth.

50 minutes ago, farin said:

I was at hampden when 95 thousand of us seen the likes of jardine,McGrain,Bremner,Dalglish,Law & Jordan beat Czechoslovakia to put us into the 74 WC in Germany. What a night that was. 😄👍🏻 

👍

14 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Strongest being how much they can bench-press?

LOL, probably yes in the parents heads.... But strongest physically, they probably have a couple of kilos more body weight and an extra few inches in height. 

2 hours ago, farin said:

I was at hampden when 95 thousand of us seen the likes of jardine,McGrain,Bremner,Dalglish,Law & Jordan beat Czechoslovakia to put us into the 74 WC in Germany. What a night that was. 😄👍🏻 

I was there as well that night.

Nights like that at Hampden were unbelievable.

Standing there on the terracing hardly able to move.

Decent teams used to come there and they were intimidated by the Hampden Roar.

Now its half full at some games its more like a whimper than a roar.

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Saying its looking like Bulgaria for the Nations League semi play off (Norway or Serbia in final). 

Bulgaria just gifted England a goal.

They'll probably still stick a few past Scotland though.

Hearts should look at what is happening to Scotland to realise that fans (excluding tartan trumpets for whom its not about the football more dressing up), can only be taken for granted for so long before apathy sets in.

Samuel Camazzola

On the small nation subject, cracking result for Kosovo to win 2-1 v Czech Republic. They've only had their UEFA membership for a couple of years and missed out on having a host of established players in their ranks (Xhaka brothers, Januzaj, Shaquiri). 

Samuel Camazzola
57 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Off topic, but I see that Miko is playing left-back for Lithuania  against Ukraine. Losing 2-0 at H/T.

On the Hearts link theme, the Bulgarian manager Balakov scored for Stuttgart when they beat us in Germany in 2000.

Coburg Hearts
3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

On the Hearts link theme, the Bulgarian manager Balakov scored for Stuttgart when they beat us in Germany in 2000.

That is a much better spot than my one. :thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

That is a much better spot than my one. :thumbsup:

He was a pretty distinctive figure in his playing days with his curly mop of hair. 

Visited a Slavia Prague fans’ forum following the Czech Republic’s loss to Kosovo today. Provided a detailed analysis which highlighted all the faults with their national team and gave them tactical pointers for improvements. 

I’m not Czech and I don’t live in the Czech Republic but I have visited a few time years ago so felt it was my duty to get involved. 👍🏻

7 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Visited a Slavia Prague fans’ forum following the Czech Republic’s loss to Kosovo today. Provided a detailed analysis which highlighted all the faults with their national team and gave them tactical pointers for improvements. 

I’m not Czech and I don’t live in the Czech Republic but I have visited a few time years ago so felt it was my duty to get involved. 👍🏻

😂

12 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Ah, don't forget, we've got Malky Mackay as Performance Director, so the long term future is in good hands.

8 hours ago, farin said:

Yeah, back then we could beat the Czech Republic and Slovakia combined!  I think we also qualified for the 1978 WC at their expense.  In between those world cups, they were the European Champions in 1976.

7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Saying its looking like Bulgaria for the Nations League semi play off (Norway or Serbia in final). 

Bulgaria took  a pumping off England, I'd fancy our chances against them.  I reckon Serbia would be too good for us though.

YouLetYourClubDie

Russia have a population of 144 mil we have 5. Is it any surprise they are better than us? If we were the size of England we would have PL players in every position. Scottish football is better than most countries our size. 

Edited by YouLetYourClubDie

2 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Russia have a population of 144 mil we have 5. Is it any surprise they are better than us? If we were the size of England we would have PL players in every position. Scottish football is better than most countries our size. 

Croatia has a population of 4m, they have outperformed both Russia and Scotland pretty much since they became an independent nation again.  I think they have only missed out on one major finals in that time and, of course, made the WC final last time around.  Currently ranked 7th by FIFA.

Uruguay has a population of 3m, ranked 5th by FIFA.  Denmark population 6m ranked 13.  Even Belgium ranked #1 only has 11m population, just over double ours. Wales, Northern Ireland and ROI also ranked above us with smaller populations, as is Iceland with a population of c 350k.

I know there will be a lot of countries our size or bigger who are doing worse than us, but there are plenty of examples out there to show that we should not be excusing our largely abject showing over 2 decades purely on the basis of the size of our nation.

YouLetYourClubDie
1 minute ago, RobNox said:

Croatia has a population of 4m, they have outperformed both Russia and Scotland pretty much since they became an independent nation again.  I think they have only missed out on one major finals in that time and, of course, made the WC final last time around.  Currently ranked 7th by FIFA.

Uruguay has a population of 3m, ranked 5th by FIFA.  Denmark population 6m ranked 13.  Even Belgium ranked #1 only has 11m population, just over double ours. Wales, Northern Ireland and ROI also ranked above us with smaller populations, as is Iceland with a population of c 350k.

I know there will be a lot of countries our size or bigger who are doing worse than us, but there are plenty of examples out there to show that we should not be excusing our largely abject showing over 2 decades purely on the basis of the size of our nation.

You have just picked all the best small nations for their size in the world. I could list you a load more who are similar or worse than us for the same population. 

If you compared Scotland to a region of England of 5 million I can tell you that we would have more players in the EPL/Championship than them. 

17 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Better than Denmark? Denmark took Croatia to penalties in the World Cup last 16 and are regular qualifiers for major tournaments.

Better than Slovakia? Slovakia reached the last 16 in 2010 by knocking out World Champions Italy and reached Euro 2016.

Better than Norway? Norway thrashed Scotland when they last met in an important match and unlike Scotland, have reached the World Cup knockout stages. In their case, by beating World Champions Brazil after Scotland had lost to them.

Better than Costa Rica? We all know what happened when they met at the World Cup... since when, Costa Rica have come within a penalty shootout of making the World Cup semi-finals.

Better than Ireland? Ireland have reached a World Cup quarter-final, had two other last 16 finishes, and have made both the last two European Championships, beating Italy and going toe to toe with hosts France last time out... despite a player pool that is considerably worse than Scotland's.

Scotland have a population of 5.4m. Croatia have a population of 4.1m and Uruguay have a population of 3.4m. Population size cannot be an excuse given what those two nations have achieved.

Meanwhile, the population of Wales - who reached the European Championship semi-finals in 2016 - is 3.1m. The population of Northern Ireland, who reached the Euro last 16 and World Cup playoffs, and in their history, have qualified for the World Cup three times and even been quarter-finalists, is 1.9m. And the population of Iceland, Euro 2016 quarter-finalists and who held Argentina at the World Cup, is 340,000.

Scotland's record: no knockout stages reached ever, no qualifications for anything since 1998 (by purest coincidence, the same year the SPL was set up) and not even a playoff since 2004 is a disgrace and an embarrassment. The perspective you've attempted to provide only underscores how indefensible that record is.

41 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

You have just picked all the best small nations for their size in the world. I could list you a load more who are similar or worse than us for the same population. 

If you compared Scotland to a region of England of 5 million I can tell you that we would have more players in the EPL/Championship than them. 

I know that, and I did acknowledge that in my final paragraph.

My point wasn't so much a dig at your OP, but more the fact that we shouldn't simply use our small population as an excuse for under performing on the international stage for 20 years, when there are loads of examples of comparable or smaller sizes nations who have achieved more than us.

We should be looking at those nations and asking how come they can get to major finals when we can't, as opposed to excusing our failures because there are bigger nations than us who've done just as badly.

3 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Lost 12 games, won five, and drawn two. He’s become craven with fear. 

Karel Orel out! 

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

13 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Lost 12 games, won five, and drawn two. He’s become craven with fear. 

Karel Orel out! 

I had to use google translate but the jist i got was he is a serial loser and that psychological issue is why they are losing games to teams like Kosovo.