Sagan

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I grew up in Craigshill until I was about 10 …. so maybe😲

Nah, you'd of remembered it mate, trust me. 

Never met so many weirdo's in my life. 

Footballfirst
43 minutes ago, Locky said:

Surely Leonard can't expect the style of 15 year olds who've been encouraged to play the game a certain way as a group from day 1, to be the same as 1st team level where we have a squad of varied ages and backgrounds, who've learned in all different ways. It's simply not possible.

That reminds me about a conversation I had with a parent of a 2001 player a few months ago (the age group that included Hamilton, Sandison, Cochrane, McDonald, Ritchie and Leonard). The parent said that the age group had a great understanding of one another's games having played so often together and, more than anything else, they trusted one another. However when they played with other age groups, that level of trust wasn't there, so the parent (and the player) felt that the team struggled to play to their individual and collective abilities at times.

Edited by Footballfirst

Hickey, 17 years old and a first team established player.

Canf find much on Leonard, but seems to be 17 years old and in a premier league U18 squad.

The issues with style don't seem to have affected Hickey too much.

Man City sniffing around Hickey, who looks to be taking the Tierney/Robertson route to the top.

Leonard has gone from small pond to big pond quickly and hoping he is a big enough fish. Not many young scots have managed it. See Galbraith etc...

The Tierney, Robertson, Weir, Naismith route has a higher success rate. Establish yourself here then move.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Canf find much on Leonard, but seems to be 17 years old and in a premier league U18 squad.

Man City sniffing around Hickey, who looks to be taking the Tierney/Robertson route to the top.

Leonard has gone from small pond to big pond quickly and hoping he is a big enough fish. Not many young scots have managed it. See Galbraith etc...

The Tierney, Robertson, Weir, Naismith route has a higher success rate. Establish yourself here then move.

Exactly. Even someone like Ryan Fraser spent a few years working his way up the leagues with Bournemouth. Scott Allen is a more typical story.

4 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Exactly. 

56 minutes ago, Locky said:

Saw this article yesterday and came to see reaction but there was none, and couldn't be arsed starting a thread. Wee bit of a sensationalist article to spread more unnecessary negativity.

Since 2014, we've made huge attempts to start building from grassroots up, and our youngsters at all age groups seem to be doing very well. The invitationals are showing that. Anyone with half a brain surely knows that the philosophies and styles encouraged towards youngsters from day 1 won't really bear fruit for a few years yet. Sadly I think for the Curries, Baurs etc. the revamp came a wee bit to late. For the Cochranes, MacDonalds etc. They might've even been just a tad late to really reap the benefits, but the next crop or 2 will be where we can really judge the youth facilities and infrastructure.

Surely Leonard can't expect the style of 15 year olds who've been encouraged to play the game a certain way as a group from day 1, to be the same as 1st team level where we have a squad of varied ages and backgrounds, who've learned in all different ways. It's simply not possible.

Excellent post Locky. 

Adam_the_legend
42 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Snap, 

I thought someone would of made a thread about it. 

I get the points made about the laddie just mouthing off now that he's good a better move but we've also got to consider that there might be some truth in what he's said, considering what's happened to the likes of Cochrane and Mcdonald (who i thought looked a different class 2 years ago)

They're not the only 2 youngsters that have shown talent and not progressed either. 

When you add that on to the performances of the 1st team and the unreal amount of injuries we get, You've got to just stand up and go WTF IS GOING ON

Yeh, normally I’d just say he’s a wee laddie mouthing off but if you take his insinuation at face value it is consistent with the absolute dross we’ve been served up over the last few years. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Sagan said:

It should be more than just encouraged though. 

Cochrane looked to be the best thing since sliced sausage age 16. 

He's done next to nothing since. I'm quite glad he's been loaned out now. Maybe he'll progress more at Dunfermline. 

12 months back I would not have heard of it but he seems to need this change 

1 hour ago, Prof said:

The young man is simply stating what most people think. CL is a defensive minded coach whose idea of attack is hoofing the ball aimlessly to a big lumbering carthorse up front, who then promptly blooters the ball into the Gorgie stand.

Not how the U18s or Reserves play though.

Stephane Grappelli
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

No, the academy is fine. He is just a kid who has done  othing in the game yet who had to much to say. Go off and prove something before bumping yer gums. If I remember correctly his dad wasnt happy with Cocrane being in the limelight and not his son. 

Scottish championship player in 5 years nap. 

Unlike Cochrane who's playing in the... oh wait the now.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Still an interesting question about styles of play.

Wonder say how the Aberdeen youngsters find it there. 

Makes you wonder what kind of journalist would fail to ask a follow up question on that...?  As for all the stuff Leonard said, I read it all before virtually verbatim from McGhee "Standard of football is so much higher down here..." Blah blah. It is probably what I would say if a journalist from the city of my previous club came and asked how I was getting on...

38 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Makes you wonder what kind of journalist would fail to ask a follow up question on that...?  As for all the stuff Leonard said, I read it all before virtually verbatim from McGhee "Standard of football is so much higher down here..." Blah blah. It is probably what I would say if a journalist from the city of my previous club came and asked how I was getting on...

Why are you bringing up McGhee? I don't remember him slagging the erse off us on his way out.

Maybe Leonard has the confidence to tell it like it is and you just don't like that. 

Maybe Jack ross had the confidence to tell it like it is and craig levein didn't like that?

I'm seeing some sort of pattern here. 

Don't tell the truth unless it puts us in a good light!

Watch us burn to hell. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

He seems like the sort of modern footballer that Souness detests. 

Thinks they are something before they they have proved anything and start criticising people far superior to them.

He MIGHT have had a point had he played in the first team and had a run of games.

But it seems apparent to anyone with a vague interest in Hearts that all through the age groups to the colts/reserves our young teams play or try to play good attacking football through midfield.

34 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Why are you bringing up McGhee? I don't remember him slagging the erse off us on his way out.

Maybe Leonard has the confidence to tell it like it is and you just don't like that. 

Maybe Jack ross had the confidence to tell it like it is and craig levein didn't like that?

Watch us burn to hell. 

- ??? My "quote" was a paraphrasing of McGhee when he did the same type of interview whilst playing for Middlesbrough U23s...

- I don't even understand your second question. Is it a question?

- Jack Ross? Where did that come from? I never mentioned Jack Ross so what are you talking about? Besides, he has a gagging agreement so who knows what really happened between them

- Only pattern I'm seeing is that you have written utter nonsense...

- Your next 2 sentences also make no sense whatsoever...Congrats on one of the most incoherent rants I've ever seen on here.

Edited by Spellczech

I remember Levein saying that Leonard was a decent footballer BUT didn’t have a designated position . Hearts wanted to develop / work with him, his father wanted him in the first team . 

Brighton Jambo

Nothing to see here, Brighton have invested hugely in their academy system and their training centre is one of the best in the country being superior to most other premier leagues teams including some of the top six teams.   (Note: this investment was made before they got into more premier league not using PL money!)

So it’s completely realistic that Marc Leonard would see that as an improvement and is not a criticism of us at all.  

On a separate point I notice Sagan has started this thread as well as the Romanov era thread.  Does he/she literally scour the internet, and/or the dark recesses of their brain looking for innovative ways to slag the club and manager! 

1 hour ago, Meadows said:

I remember Levein saying that Leonard was a decent footballer BUT didn’t have a designated position . Hearts wanted to develop / work with him, his father wanted him in the first team . 

Wasn't he too young to play in the first team at least competitively? As he was not yet 16 unlike Cochrane

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Wasn't he too young to play in the first team at least competitively? As he was not yet 16 unlike Cochrane

His father sounds pretty "driven" in all respects!

11 hours ago, Sagan said:

Nah, you'd of remembered it mate, trust me. 

Never met so many weirdo's in my life. 

Instead have using of you of used have.

What weird behaviour.

Did Levein not say that he had all the younger age groups playing the same way as the 1st team, so that they would fit right in when the time comes? 

I really hope I've just made that up. 

We_are_the_Hearts
52 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Did Levein not say that he had all the younger age groups playing the same way as the 1st team, so that they would fit right in when the time comes? 

I really hope I've just made that up. 

Depends what agenda CL was feeding that day. The 5 year plan was to. Give him control and Security. The end

Wishing and hoping a wee laddie fails. Dearie me. 

He probably regrets leaving and its trying trying to justify in his own mind doing so.  He’s got a good chance of making it in the game.

Edited by Last Laff

18 hours ago, Locky said:

Saw this article yesterday and came to see reaction but there was none, and couldn't be arsed starting a thread. Wee bit of a sensationalist article to spread more unnecessary negativity.

Since 2014, we've made huge attempts to start building from grassroots up, and our youngsters at all age groups seem to be doing very well. The invitationals are showing that. Anyone with half a brain surely knows that the philosophies and styles encouraged towards youngsters from day 1 won't really bear fruit for a few years yet. Sadly I think for the Curries, Baurs etc. the revamp came a wee bit to late. For the Cochranes, MacDonalds etc. They might've even been just a tad late to really reap the benefits, but the next crop or 2 will be where we can really judge the youth facilities and infrastructure.

Great post.

Also need to consider the purpose of academies, to develop players for the first team. Theyll come through playing a brand of football and looking at developing technique, playing on both feet, playing quick attacking pass and move to develop their skills to they are ready for first team football. Results don't come first when it's development.

Once you hit first team the pressures are unreal and it's a win at all cost mentality as their are paying fans. Do Hamilton etc at u18 park the bus and play long balls? At first team, strategies will be how to best get points as the managers job depends on it. So yes the styles will be different between youth and top level unless you're the best team in the country with resources like Man City, Liverpool, Celtic where there's a gulf 

6 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Honestly not sure , but distinctly remember the not having a position part and his fathers desire to play him or lose him . 

Levein then instructed Roger Arnott to get as much out of Brighton as possible. 

On 05/09/2019 at 18:22, Homme said:

That'll be the 'higher level' Brighton who's bigger, stronger and faster players couldn't beat our youngsters at the recent invitational - a tournament won by Hearts no less. 

If he hadn't said anything to the press, would anyone even have remembered him? 

He will be at Falkirk within two years. 

Was at the Scotland U19's match against Japan yesterday at the Pinatar Arena in San Pedro. He was in midfield and was captain. Done nothing.

allanwilson1970

Strange interview, he has basically played u17, U18s,U18s the last 3 seasons. I don’t see that as progress irrespective if bigger and stronger. Checking google he’s not finished a u18 game this season either, subbed all games. 

He has never been quoted for their u23 team but many younger boys have. 

He was not close to being our best player in our team of 2001’s. Miles behind Cochrane, McDonald and Hamilton. 

You would think best to be humble and just get his head down and work hard and prove Levein wrong, mouthing off after 3 seasons of basically u18s is not a platform for me to be a big mouth. 

On 05/09/2019 at 17:02, Sagan said:

This seems to have gone under the radar.

His comments seem to be suggest that the Academy isn't all it's cracked up to be. 

I thought Levein was doing a brilliant job?

"As a midfielder, it wasn't what I wanted my game based around. I just didn't feel I was involved as much as I could have been within that style of play at Hearts.

"The level at Brighton is also so much higher in every age-group. Coming down, I had to improve on my physical attributes and I had to catch up with the guys who had always done it.

"It took a while to settle into the new environment and routine, but now I feel in the best place I could be. I'm bigger, stronger and faster, so it's all coming together now."

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-style-didn-t-suit-me-marc-leonard-lifts-lid-on-tynecastle-exit-1-4997419

Never heard of the boy

Just now, J80MBO said:

Never heard of the boy

Snap

But let's face it, anything bad that happens will be kept under the radar if at all possible. 

Just look at Jack Ross, who we pumped out for whatever reason. 

Better manager than anyone else at hearts just now, most likely.

WheatfieldWarrior
On 05/09/2019 at 17:37, Tasavallan said:

Hearts have never stood in the way of Academy prospects moving down south: David Gray and Adam King did well for themselves and I am sure Leonard will do the same, courtesy of his moaning mouth father.  

Adam King hasn't done much - he is now with Dundee United, and sitting on the bench for a smaller team in a lower division than the one he left.

23 hours ago, Sagan said:

Watch us burn to hell. 

Are you kidding me?

McGhee told everyone who would listen how middlesborough u23 was a step up from our first team and how he was delighted to be away. 

On 05/09/2019 at 19:43, JamboAndrew said:

Spot on. 

Is it just me or is there an “attitude” about Leonard?

4 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Are you kidding me?

McGhee told everyone who would listen how middlesborough u23 was a step up from our first team and how he was delighted to be away. 

Perhaps he was right but .... he was just not good enough for them ... [NB or for us]

15 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Nothing to see here, Brighton have invested hugely in their academy system and their training centre is one of the best in the country being superior to most other premier leagues teams including some of the top six teams.   (Note: this investment was made before they got into more premier league not using PL money!)

So it’s completely realistic that Marc Leonard would see that as an improvement and is not a criticism of us at all.  

On a separate point I notice Sagan has started this thread as well as the Romanov era thread.  Does he/she literally scour the internet, and/or the dark recesses of their brain looking for innovative ways to slag the club and manager! 

Whilst top notch facilities are great to have, it always comes down to the quality of the coaches and the attitude of the players. And perhaps such facilities instil a sense in the kids that they have already made it?

Sports science notwithstanding, it always comes down to the player and a ball 🙂

WheatfieldWarrior
1 minute ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Are you kidding me?

McGhee told everyone who would listen how Middlesbrough u23 was a step up from our first team and how he was delighted to be away. 

Yep, this is how I remember it, then he had a pop at the Middlesbrough U23s, after he left them and then "his face didn't fit here when Daly didn't select him after Cathro got the boot.

10 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Yep, this is how I remember it, then he had a pop at the Middlesbrough U23s, after he left them and then "his face didn't fit here when Daly didn't select him after Cathro got the boot.

Came across as arrogant beyond his talents

JORDAN McGHEE believes he’ll improve more playing for Middlesbrough’s Under-23 team than he would in the Scottish Premiership.

The Hearts youngster is currently on loan at the Riverside and hopes to land a permanent deal when his contract expires this summer.

Incredibly, Scotland’s U21 skipper is adamant that his game will develop more in Boro’s reserves than it would in our top flight.

McGhee felt he was going stale at Tynecastle and that playing in different positions was hindering his progress.

Now, he’s loving life at the newly-promoted Premier League club and has no regrets about leaving Scotland behind.

Jordan McGhee in action for Hearts last year

McGhee, who will captain our U21’s in their Euro qualifier against Ukraine in Kiev today, said: “The move has been great for me, I’ve settled in really well.

“At Hearts, I was playing at full-back when my position is centre-back.

“At Middlesbrough, I’m getting to play there in a really good league at a club with a fantastic set-up.

“I’m playing against some really good players in the U23’s. I could come up against the likes of Marcus Rashford, for example.

“I’m playing at centre-back every week, the training is excellent and working with the club’s sports scientists is helping me too.

“I think it’s the next level of my career and a step up.

“I could easily have stayed in Scotland with another team on loan this season.

“But I feel I’m learning more, both physically and about the game in general, at Middlesbrough.

“England is the best place to learn.

“I know I could have been playing every week in the Scottish Premiership.

“But I’ve been doing that for the past three years and I feel my career has stagnated a bit, especially being played out of position.

“But going down to England, training with top players every day, has been great. All the staff and management have taken me under their wing.

“I’m convinced it’s the right move for my career. If I can have two or three years’ down here, who knows what will happen?

“Hopefully I can get into the first-team but that’s down to me, isn’t it?”

McGhee has watched the likes of ex-Falkirk players like Stephen Kingsley and Jay Fulton break into Swansea’s first-team squad – and feels he can do the same at ‘Boro.

Scottish striker Jordan Rhodes has helped him make the transition to England and he now wants to get his career motoring after feeling like it had stalled at the Jambos.

McGhee said: “Jordan has helped me a lot, told me about the place, and made it easier for me to adjust.

“I’ve trained with the first-team but speak to a lot of guys in my age group about what our aims are for this season.

“It’s a great set-up, I’m living not far from our training ground which is different to Hearts where I was driving for an hour and a half every day.

“I just felt it was the right move for me, I’m sure of it. I’ve seen the likes of Kingsley getting their Premier League debut and I believe it’s a great opportunity for me.

“It’s all down to me. Middlesbrough have first dibs on me at the end of the season so hopefully it will work out for both parties.

“Seeing Stephen kick on at Swansea, playing in his right position every week, you think: ‘That could be me’.

“At Hearts I was probably at the right club but at the wrong time, with the likes of Alim Ozturk and Igor Rossi ahead of me.

“That’s why I’ve moved on and hopefully it can further my career.

“It’s going to be difficult for me right now to play in Middlesbrough’s first-team because I’m only on loan.

“The thing I really need to work on is a winning mentality. It’s been an eye-opener for me going down there and I just want to be as professional as I possibly can.”

Scotland’s U21 side have endured a difficult Euro qualifying campaign that leaves them with virtualy no chance of reaching the Finals in Poland next year.

McGhee admits Ricky Sbragia’s side have let themselves down in certain games but says it’s not all negative.

He said: “We know we could have done better but I think we’re in good shape for the future. We’ve got a really good squad here.

“We have seven or eight top players who are eligible for the U21’s but are in the full Scotland squad.

“I think it’s important that we try to take the positives like that out of the campaign.”

Edited by RobboM

WheatfieldWarrior
13 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Spot on. 

Is it just me or is there an “attitude” about Leonard?

Joke is on him I guess, I don't think there is a route to the firs team for u23s at these clubs unless you have the ability of a Lampard or Gerrard.

5 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Joke is on him I guess, I don't think there is a route to the firs team for u23s at these clubs unless you have the ability of a Lampard or Gerrard.

Billy Gilmour has went to Chelsea , worked hard and is flirting with the first team , including coming off the bench last week for the first team. 

Just now, Meadows said:

Billy Gilmour has went to Chelsea , worked hard and is flirting with the first team , including coming off the bench last week for the first team. 

Chelsea have a transfer ban which helps though it does seem Frank Lampard is more prepared to play young players. 

On 05/09/2019 at 18:53, Prof said:

The young man is simply stating what most people think. CL is a defensive minded coach whose idea of attack is hoofing the ball aimlessly to a big lumbering carthorse up front, who then promptly blooters the ball into the Gorgie stand.

How many times did Marc play for Levein buddy?

On 06/09/2019 at 05:48, Meadows said:

So despite our football being shite he moved because he wasn’t being played in amongst the shite.

Marc Leonard telling as big whoppers as Boris.

He won’t get far in football as a known bullshitter/liar unlesss he is exceptional which he clearly isn’t 

Marc was still 15 when he was 'frozen out' having said he was leaving. 

So couldn't have played for first team. As I said if he had stuck it he might just have got a game or on bench from Dec 2017 when he turned 16. 

He's decided England was the best route for him.