Sagan

This seems to have gone under the radar.

His comments seem to be suggest that the Academy isn't all it's cracked up to be. 

I thought Levein was doing a brilliant job?

"As a midfielder, it wasn't what I wanted my game based around. I just didn't feel I was involved as much as I could have been within that style of play at Hearts.

"The level at Brighton is also so much higher in every age-group. Coming down, I had to improve on my physical attributes and I had to catch up with the guys who had always done it.

"It took a while to settle into the new environment and routine, but now I feel in the best place I could be. I'm bigger, stronger and faster, so it's all coming together now."

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-style-didn-t-suit-me-marc-leonard-lifts-lid-on-tynecastle-exit-1-4997419

Edited by Sagan

No, the academy is fine. He is just a kid who has done  othing in the game yet who had to much to say. Go off and prove something before bumping yer gums. If I remember correctly his dad wasnt happy with Cocrane being in the limelight and not his son. 

Scottish championship player in 5 years nap. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Aye because a teenager kens better right enough. If you believe he left at 16 because he was concerned about the way we play, you’ll believe anything. 

Of course you didn’t leave for the money son, of course you didn’t.

I wouldn't read huge amounts into that, I'm sure anyone who has played football at any level will say there has been times when teams/teammates/coaches they played alongside didn't compliment their style of play. 

Remember Jordan McGhee making similar comments after his spell at Boro. 

18 minutes ago, Sagan said:

His comments seem to be suggest that the Academy isn't all it's cracked up to be. 

"As a midfielder, it wasn't what I wanted my game based around. I just didn't feel I was involved as much as I could have been within that style of play at Hearts.

"The level at Brighton is also so much higher in every age-group. Coming down, I had to improve on my physical attributes and I had to catch up with the guys who had always done it.

"It took a while to settle into the new environment and routine, but now I feel in the best place I could be. I'm bigger, stronger and faster, so it's all coming together now."

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-style-didn-t-suit-me-marc-leonard-lifts-lid-on-tynecastle-exit-1-4997419

Or its already on the DoF thread?

That'll be the 'higher level' Brighton who's bigger, stronger and faster players couldn't beat our youngsters at the recent invitational - a tournament won by Hearts no less. 

If he hadn't said anything to the press, would anyone even have remembered him? 

He will be at Falkirk within two years. 

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

No, the academy is fine. He is just a kid who has done  othing in the game yet who had to much to say. Go off and prove something before bumping yer gums. If I remember correctly his dad wasnt happy with Cocrane being in the limelight and not his son. 

Scottish championship player in 5 years nap. 

Probably true.  A bit like Adam King.

So he wants to play in a different way. I suspect the main change he refers to is moving the ball quickly forward. As a go to option when passing is more risky. Rather than slower passing through. 

I think across the whole world this is what managers and coaches tend to do. Certainly in Scotland. Partly a percentage game. There is though a golden way of playing football now it seems. Though even Man City hit the ball long a fair amount albeit more precise often diagonal balls. They certainly bypass a lot of their players in many of their moves. A lot of their goals just involve 2 or 3 players in the move. 

Good luck to him. He wants to play a certain way. Though funny he joined a club when the first team coach was widely criticised for being very defensive. 

His one error though might have been in timing. There was a chance he could have beaten Scott Robinson to be Hearts youngest player just after he fell out with Hearts as we had a major injury crisis. Game was away to St Johnstone Dec 2017. 

See how his career progresses. Good luck to him and his football principles. 

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

That'll be the 'higher level' Brighton who's bigger, stronger and faster players couldn't beat our youngsters at the recent invitational - a tournament won by Hearts no less. 

If he hadn't said anything to the press, would anyone even have remembered him? 

He will be at Falkirk within two years. 

He's getting picked for the national team and brighton obviously seen something in him. 

Maybe someone would like to "bookmark" that comment. 

Who'd have thought an English Premier League club might have a better academy given the millions of pounds they have? 

I'm shocked by this news.

2 minutes ago, Sagan said:

He's getting picked for the national team and brighton obviously seen something in him. 

Yeah

Jordan McGhee and Callum Elliot played masses of games for Scotland young teams. 

Maybe Leonard might have a chance of being as good as them. 

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Who'd have thought an English Premier League club might have a better academy given the millions of pounds they have? 

Well, they’ve not because our laddies skinned them at the recent invitational. 🤷🏼‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Bookmark it.

Plenty of Hearts youngsters get in these squads so unsure why being at Brighton somehow gives him a better chance.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Who'd have thought that as boy gets older he becomes bigger stronger and faster.....just amazes me that

There is nothing that he could not have done in Edinburgh re his personal conditioning

I wish him well but on the whole he went for the money (with a little bit of aspiration of course)

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

Jordan McGhee and Callum Elliot played masses of games for Scotland young teams. 

Maybe Leonard might have a chance of being as good as them. 

We beat Celtic 4-0 once upon a time. 

Did that make us have a better squad than Celtic?

Not really a fair comparison. 

Devils advocate and all that. 

Sorry, quoted the wrong post. Meant for the post about us beating Brighton's youngsters. 

Edited by Sagan

Just now, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Jounro probably fed him those words to suit the current hot topics.

Pathetic.

It was said on here by some people when he left.

He did say he got on well with everyone at Hearts including Levein.

1 minute ago, Sagan said:

We beat Celtic 4-0 once upon a time. 

Did that make us have a better squad than Celtic?

Not really a fair comparison. 

Devils advocate and all that. 

So what are Marc Leonard's strengths that you think he will make it?

Most players playing for Scotland U19s don't make it. 

Hearts have never stood in the way of Academy prospects moving down south: David Gray and Adam King did well for themselves and I am sure Leonard will do the same, courtesy of his moaning mouth father.  

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So what are Marc Leonard's strengths that you think he will make it?

Most players playing for Scotland U19s don't make it. 

I don't know much about the boy, 

I just think it's harsh to be writing him off based on Callum elliot and the likes. 

Or more likely because people don't like what he had to say. 

Edited by Sagan

4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Who'd have thought that as boy gets older he becomes bigger stronger and faster.....just amazes me that

There is nothing that he could not have done in Edinburgh re his personal conditioning

I wish him well but on the whole he went for the money (with a little bit of aspiration of course)

I'm not disputing any of that and don't recall doing so.

People seem to be expressing that what he's saying also can't possibly be true.

He may very well have moved for the money, I don't know him or his family but it's also entirely possible that he feels the set up down there is better. It wouldn't surprise me given the funds they have. Why wouldn't you move there if the chance came up? We've not exactly produced any graduates who've gon onto anything of note nor do the ones we have seem to get bigger, stronger or faster as they age. The only one who has was Callum Paterson

I am just shocked to hear that a club who receive around 200 million quid per year has a better academy.

Who would have thought.

Edited by i8hibsh

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not disputing any of that and don't recall doing so.

People seem to be expressing that what he's saying also can't possibly be true.

He may very well have moved for the money, I don't know him or his family but it's also entirely possible that he feels the set up down there is better. It wouldn't surprise me given the funds they have. Why wouldn't you move there if the chance came up? We've not exactly produced any graduates who've gon onto anything of note nor do the ones we have seem to get bigger, stronger or faster as they age. The only one who has was Callum Paterson

It is a fair enough move to make.

I think one strength here is the commitment of the top people at the club and that here you are probably more likely to play.

We have Aaron Hickey and Andy Irving looking like first choices in first team just now. 

Maybe why the others have stayed despite interest from England. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Looking forward to seeing him turfed out age 24 with the grand total of 0 first team appearances for Brighton and 4/5 loan moves that makes for depressing/ amusing reading. 

Awful to through Levein under the bus at a time where if he did genuinely have any respect for him he might have refused to answer or given a non-answer. If Brighton are so good, I'm surprised they skipped media training? Welt. 

But on a more serious note, the physical aspect does worry me a lot. Scottish lads in general seem to struggle with the basic professionalism element of being a footballer (that is going to the gym and eating right). Compare and contrast our lads with Chelsea or hell, any team in the top two leagues. Its not an area which is dictated by money. The club shouldn't be allowing lads to physically be 2nd best. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
39 minutes ago, Sagan said:

"bigger stronger and faster" is something i'd hoped Cochrane would be by now, in all honesty. 

Well the players can work extra. Its encouraged 

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Getting a sore neck, winning second balls. Doesn’t say much for the gym at Riccarton.

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Well the players can work extra. Its encouraged 

It should be more than just encouraged though. 

Cochrane looked to be the best thing since sliced sausage age 16. 

He's done next to nothing since. I'm quite glad he's been loaned out now. Maybe he'll progress more at Dunfermline. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Sagan said:

It should be more than just encouraged though. 

Cochrane looked to be the best thing since sliced sausage age 16. 

He's done next to nothing since. I'm quite glad he's been loaned out now. Maybe he'll progress more at Dunfermline. 

You’re right, they should all have individual training routines suited to them. Uche for Instance could do with a little less gym work and more ball work.

A_A wehatethehibs

He speaks as though he has already made it as a player

Shades of Jordan Mcghees Middlesbrough move

Will soon be a Raith player 

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Well, they’ve not because our laddies skinned them at the recent invitational. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I remember years ago as a young teenager player a couple of brothers who were on crystal palaces books. 

They were shite. 

I wasn't even at any level apart from school and was better than them both by a distance. 

England has numbers 60/80 teams @ under/ reserve sides, some good ones will slide through. 

That was a while ago tho. 

47 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Too right.  I attended that tourney and Brighton were fairly pish IIRC.

We won that comfortably.

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I remember years ago as a young teenager player a couple of brothers who were on crystal palaces books. 

They were shite. 

I wasn't even at any level apart from school and was better than them both by a distance. 

England has numbers 60/80 teams @ under/ reserve sides, some good ones will slide through. 

Hardly any of the lads in the English youth academies will play in the Prem. The majority of them will have to go non league or into lower leagues just to get a game and only a few of those guys will ever reach Premier League level.

It’s far too risky for EPL clubs to blood youngsters because money and where they finish is far more important. Frank Lampard, tbf is trying to play youngsters at Chelsea but they’ll end up mid table this season.

25 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

They were shite. 

Aye, but did you play 5's with the jambos kickback crew at craigshill sports centre though?

That's when you know you're good. 

Just now, Ray Gin said:

I for one am stunned that the standard at an English Premiership side is higher than that a Scottish Premiership side.

You must be even more stunned that they couldn't beat us in the the wee muck around cup then. 

The young man is simply stating what most people think. CL is a defensive minded coach whose idea of attack is hoofing the ball aimlessly to a big lumbering carthorse up front, who then promptly blooters the ball into the Gorgie stand.

Saw this article yesterday and came to see reaction but there was none, and couldn't be arsed starting a thread. Wee bit of a sensationalist article to spread more unnecessary negativity.

Since 2014, we've made huge attempts to start building from grassroots up, and our youngsters at all age groups seem to be doing very well. The invitationals are showing that. Anyone with half a brain surely knows that the philosophies and styles encouraged towards youngsters from day 1 won't really bear fruit for a few years yet. Sadly I think for the Curries, Baurs etc. the revamp came a wee bit to late. For the Cochranes, MacDonalds etc. They might've even been just a tad late to really reap the benefits, but the next crop or 2 will be where we can really judge the youth facilities and infrastructure.

Surely Leonard can't expect the style of 15 year olds who've been encouraged to play the game a certain way as a group from day 1, to be the same as 1st team level where we have a squad of varied ages and backgrounds, who've learned in all different ways. It's simply not possible.

11 minutes ago, Locky said:

Saw this article yesterday and came to see reaction but there was none, and couldn't be arsed starting a thread. Wee bit of a sensationalist article to spread more unnecessary negativity.

Since 2014, we've made huge attempts to start building from grassroots up, and our youngsters at all age groups seem to be doing very well. The invitationals are showing that. Anyone with half a brain surely knows that the philosophies and styles encouraged towards youngsters from day 1 won't really bear fruit for a few years yet. Sadly I think for the Curries, Baurs etc. the revamp came a wee bit to late. For the Cochranes, MacDonalds etc. They might've even been just a tad late to really reap the benefits, but the next crop or 2 will be where we can really judge the youth facilities and infrastructure.

Surely Leonard can't expect the style of 15 year olds who've been encouraged to play the game a certain way as a group from day 1, to be the same as 1st team level where we have a squad of varied ages and backgrounds, who've learned in all different ways. It's simply not possible.

Snap, 

I thought someone would of made a thread about it. 

I get the points made about the laddie just mouthing off now that he's good a better move but we've also got to consider that there might be some truth in what he's said, considering what's happened to the likes of Cochrane and Mcdonald (who i thought looked a different class 2 years ago)

They're not the only 2 youngsters that have shown talent and not progressed either. 

When you add that on to the performances of the 1st team and the unreal amount of injuries we get, You've got to just stand up and go WTF IS GOING ON

OP starting the thread hoping it would turn into another Levein bashing thread and trying to claw it back 😂

Levein has enough reasons for the fans to be on his back but this isn’t one of them.

Comments are all very Jordan McGhee esque and we all know how that ended up.

Guest ToqueJambo

Remember the young player who left Hearts at 16/17 or so because of complaints over "style" or something else and went on to much better things, becoming the "one who got away"? No, me neither. A lot of history suggests young players have a much better chance if they stick with us. Adam King was maybe the last to leave at a young age and he's not exactly progressed further than he could have with us.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Aye, but did you play 5's with the jambos kickback crew at craigshill sports centre though?

That's when you know you're good. 

I grew up in Craigshill until I was about 10 …. so maybe😲