Steven Naismith

CloustonHMFC

24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

But are happy to see an unfit star player called up? 

Struggling with the logic a bit? 

Is it that you care about the Scotland side more?

I care about our club doing the right thing by our players. If Naismith isn't fit he won't play, if he is fit, hopefully he will play. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff Turn

• Beast Boy

28 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Fair enough then.

So we were right to send him off to the national squad with ongoing injury problems.:sadrobbo:

Of course we were. He will be checked by the medical staff and, if he isn't fit he won't play. We should never stop a player turning up for Scotland duty 

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Of course we were. He will be checked by the medical staff and, if he isn't fit he won't play. We should never stop a player turning up for Scotland duty 

OK, we all have different opinions though. 

8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I care about our club doing the right thing by our players. If Naismith isn't fit he won't play, if he is fit, hopefully he will play. 

Not necessarily. Steve Clarke’s main objective is to get a Scotland win. If he sees playing Naismith as the best way to do that he’ll play him

if that means it sets naismiths recovery back a few weeks, why would Clarke care?

Re you’re last paragraph. He’s not fit and shouldn’t have been called up. 

3 hours ago, Last Laff said:

The national team has got shite and there’s more European competitions for clubs? 

There’s less European competitions now than there used to be.

I take the point about the failure of the national team in the last couple of decades.

3 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I agree with you. I feel a fair bit more apathy towards Scotland these days, but if I was a footballer I’d be crawling over broken glass to represent the country of my birth. Naismith wants in to the hall of fame (50 caps) and I don’t blame him. He’s also probably the best striker available to Clarke. Maybe joint or just behind Griffiths, due to legs/age.

Spot on.

It should always be an honour to play for your country, regardless of anything going on in or outside of football.

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

There’s less European competitions now than there used to be.

I take the point about the failure of the national team in the last couple of decades.

Less competition more a lot more games.

👍

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Less competition more a lot more games.

👍

This is true and, depressingly, because the club sides are also shite, we get to play at the end of feckin June !

4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Spot on.

It should always be an honour to play for your country, regardless of anything going on in or outside of football.

Yep. I can’t remember if it was you who said it, or possibly @jack D and coke, but it’s also something that brings players on massively. Not really referring to guys like Naismith in the twilight of their playing days, but guys like Souttar and Halkett will come on leaps and bounds in ability through playing for Scotland’s international side. Same with European games. Over a decade now since the Scotland squad had Gordon, Pressley, Webster, Hartley and Neilson in it whilst all still Hearts players. They had all played against top European opponents too. We’ve dropped a level from there now, unfortunately. 

Naismith could well pick up an injury whilst away with Scotland, and if he does I’ll be devastated and I won’t hold out as much hope for our season. We absolutely should not deny him the chance to represent his country however, as long as he is fit enough to do it.

10 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Not in the match squad tonight

Good. Not for him, but good news for us. 

Obviously not fit. 

12 subs named

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yep. I can’t remember if it was you who said it, or possibly @jack D and coke, but it’s also something that brings players on massively. Not really referring to guys like Naismith in the twilight of their playing days, but guys like Souttar and Halkett will come on leaps and bounds in ability through playing for Scotland’s international side. Same with European games. Over a decade now since the Scotland squad had Gordon, Pressley, Webster, Hartley and Neilson in it whilst all still Hearts players. They had all played against top European opponents too. We’ve dropped a level from there now, unfortunately. 

Naismith could well pick up an injury whilst away with Scotland, and if he does I’ll be devastated and I won’t hold out as much hope for our season. We absolutely should not deny him the chance to represent his country however, as long as he is fit enough to do it.

Others have probably said it but I genuinely believe it’s brilliant for their development. 

Paul Hartley in particular became a different player after a few caps. His confidence and just general all round play improved enormously. It’s probably a huge boost to realise you can cut it in that company and if not just exactly where you need to be if you want to improve. 

If we’re ever to get some serious cash for players they need to be in the squad too. 

The attitude that they shouldn’t go because Scotland aren’t very good anymore I find utterly bizarre also. 

Wtf that does make Hearts and our Scottish players when they can’t get in the squad or when they do they get taken apart? 

5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The Naismith situation seems to be never-ending. At the end of the day, we can’t wrap him up in cotton wool, imo.

He could get a wee turn for Scotland, get that 50th cap,  come back fine and get injured next week.

Let him have his day, he deserves it.

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Others have probably said it but I genuinely believe it’s brilliant for their development. 

Paul Hartley in particular became a different player after a few caps. His confidence and just general all round play improved enormously. It’s probably a huge boost to realise you can cut it in that company and if not just exactly where you need to be if you want to improve. 

If we’re ever to get some serious cash for players they need to be in the squad too. 

The attitude that they shouldn’t go because Scotland aren’t very good anymore I find utterly bizarre also. 

Wtf that does make Hearts and our Scottish players when they can’t get in the squad or when they do they get taken apart? 

Agree with all of that, mate.

Withdrawn from Scotland squad which clearly shows he was not fit for last weeks match and should never have been on the bench never mind coming of the bench for 15 minutes

I regret to say I trust Clarke's comments re Naismith more than the clubs so if he says he was very close to playing tonight then I'll take that as gospel and look forward to him playing this weekend

If Naisy had his 50 caps, and his place in the Hall of Fame, he would have retired from international football.

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Withdrawn from Scotland squad which clearly shows he was not fit for last weeks match and should never have been on the bench never mind coming of the bench for 15 minutes

I regret to say I trust Clarke's comments re Naismith more than the clubs so if he says he was very close to playing tonight then I'll take that as gospel and look forward to him playing this weekend

Was a stroke of genius that precautionary substitution 6 weeks ago...

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

I thought they said he was sick not injured. Maybe I dreamt it.

Vlad the impaler
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

If Naisy had his 50 caps, and his place in the Hall of Fame, he would have retired from international football.

I hope you’re right and that’s his intentions

WheatfieldWarrior
13 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

I hope you’re right and that’s his intentions

He seemed pretty keen in interviews to try and get Scotland to a major final.

I'd be surprised if he were to bow out at that stage.

25 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

He seemed pretty keen in interviews to try and get Scotland to a major final.

I'd be surprised if he were to bow out at that stage.

He’s fighting a losing battle on that one!

13 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Don't think I’ve ever seen him have a bad game for Scotland. Did he not score two in his last outing?

WheatfieldWarrior
13 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I think I can agree on that one.  

WheatfieldWarrior
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Don't think I’ve ever seen him have a bad game for Scotland. Did he not score two in his last outing?

He did look sharp in that game, but he won't score many from the hotel.

2 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

He did look sharp in that game, but he won't score many from the hotel.

When he’s fit, he’s probably the best striker we have. Griffiths maybe slightly ahead just now due to age, but Naismith has better intelligence on the ball and influences those around him more.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

WheatfieldWarrior
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

When he’s fit, he’s probably the best striker we have. Griffiths maybe slightly ahead just now due to age, but Naismith has better intelligence on the ball and influences those around him more.

I think Naismith's better tbh.  (but then I'm biased). Probably can't afford to leave either of them out.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

It's weird but considering his other attributes beyond his ability and goal scoring - experience, attitude, etc - I think Scotland's most influential player is a Hearts player. I'm including Andy Robertson as there's only so much he can do from RB. Never has so much rested on one player for his club and country!

3 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

I think Naismith's better tbh.  (but then I'm biased). Probably can't afford to leave either of them out.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

It's weird but considering his other attributes beyond his ability and goal scoring - experience, attitude, etc - I think Scotland's most influential player is a Hearts player. I'm including Andy Robertson as there's only so much he can do from RB. Never has so much rested on one player for his club and country!

Probably agree about him being the most “influential”. 

Appreciate it’s moving discussion on a bit but I was asked tonight if I thought SN was being lined up to take over from Levein? 

Stress nobody ITK just a hypothetical discussion. Had to admit it hadn’t struck me before now but given his recent fairy long term contract, might it be he’s been pledged more off field responsibility down the line?

29 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

If we had 11 Naismith’s Scotland might get somewhere!

Edited by Thomaso

31 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Left back even 😋

WheatfieldWarrior
24 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

If we had 11 Naismith’s Scotland might get somewhere!

Might need more than 11 with the injury record.

Let's say 30 to be safe.

9 hours ago, cocobeab said:

Appreciate it’s moving discussion on a bit but I was asked tonight if I thought SN was being lined up to take over from Levein? 

Stress nobody ITK just a hypothetical discussion. Had to admit it hadn’t struck me before now but given his recent fairy long term contract, might it be he’s been pledged more off field responsibility down the line?

I'm sure the plan is to get him more "officially" involved in the managerial side of things (he's an unofficial coach already).

How much more involved and the timing is what we don't know

4 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I'm sure the plan is to get him more "officially" involved in the managerial side of things (he's an unofficial coach already).

👍 thanks. Handled well it might take some of the heat off Levein. I’d like to see him step aside and give like of Naismith the gig with McPhee retaining or perhaps even increasing his input. Austin had the brains and Naismith the character and determination of a winner. Reckon they could do a decent shift together

17 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Levein can’t plan long term at the moment. He needs wins now, hence throwing Naismith on against Hamilton. 

5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Good. The lack of coaches at the club just now is a disgrace. 

1 hour ago, cocobeab said:

👍 thanks. Handled well it might take some of the heat off Levein. I’d like to see him step aside and give like of Naismith the gig with McPhee retaining or perhaps even increasing his input. Austin had the brains and Naismith the character and determination of a winner. Reckon they could do a decent shift together

In not sure giving the first team managerial roles to people with no experience of being a head coach is what we need.  

5 hours ago, cocobeab said:

We're really clutching at straws now because to make these decisions we really need a top quality manager to organise who does what.