Steven Naismith

CloustonHMFC

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

The reality is , he should retire from international football . Pissing into the wind is he’s hoping for one last chance at a major tournament.

His strength of character to not give up on playing with Scotland at a big tournament should be an asset to Hearts.  Also, who'd begrudge the fella his 50th cap.  

I suspect he'll chuck it if Scotland don't make the finals and he manages to hit the 50 mark.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff Turn

• Beast Boy

12 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

BTW he has been at Oriam all day training. The article is a complete SHYTER of a story. Daily Ranger at its best. He's not injured.

Why is he at the Oriam and not with the Scotland squad? I’m not saying he’s injured, I was passing on the article I read but I’m curious as to why he’s not training with the squad then.

Absolute Scenes
Just now, DarioHMFC said:

Why is he at the Oriam and not with the Scotland squad? I’m not saying he’s injured, I was passing on the article I read but I’m curious as to why he’s not training with the squad then.

Scotland squad are staying and training at the Oriam

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

Scotland squad are staying and training at the Oriam

That strikes me as odd, they don’t normally but cheers for the info 👍

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Fourth or fifth choice? He was first choice before he got injured last year. Surely even the change of manager won’t change that. Who would be in front of him and why?

Forrest, McBurnie, Fraser. Forrest because he’s got a good record for Scotland (and to appease the great unwashed)- the latter two make more sense than Naismith in terms of building for the future and club records. 

Do do you think Naismith impressed Clarke last Saturday? 

Edited by JCR

2 minutes ago, JCR said:

Forrest, McBurnie, Fraser. Forrest because he’s got a good record for Scotland (and to appease the great unwashed)- the latter two make more sense than Naismith in terms of building for the future and club records. 

Realistically the only one of them Naismith is competing for a place with is McBurnie and he’s hardly done much to deserve a place. Naismith has pretty much always played up front for Scotland and I can’t see that changing. 

6 minutes ago, JCR said:

2 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Realistically the only one of them Naismith is competing for a place with is McBurnie and he’s hardly done much to deserve a place. Naismith has pretty much always played up front for Scotland and I can’t see that changing. 

This

However the building for the future part is fair enough. No chance Clarke will base his decision on the weekend. I think we will see a slight change to the squad as soon as we get pumped out of qualification unless he uses the games to prep for the nations league. Likes of mulgrew , naismith etc may well drop out then.

22 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

They have done for at least a year and I’m sure much longer. I moved back to Scotland a year ago and all Scotland camps have been there since. 

He’ll be around the hearts staff and squad just as much as he normally is albeit only in an off the training pitch sense. If he’s got a niggle he’s got the hearts sport scientists and the Scotland sport scientists working out of the same room I’d imagine. 

He was fit for Saturday. What better way to get him from able to play a half to able to play a full 90 than with intense training and games under his belt. I’d rather he was playing at the top level instead of with lower level reserves where he’s much more likely to get injured. 

Absolute Scenes
32 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

No bother mate, my mate works there. they were staying at the hotel that's opposite the training part

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

They have fine since Strachan left I think, he didn’t like the place. In the article about Naismith there’s another about Snodgrass, he slates the place they used to stay (Mar Hall) and says Oriam is a much better place, more akin to Premiership standards.

47 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

The reality is , he should retire from international football . Pissing into the wind is he’s hoping for one last chance at a major tournament.

I don’t think any player should even retire from International football. The highest honour ever can be being picked to play for your Country, surely? 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Dayman said:

They have done for at least a year and I’m sure much longer. I moved back to Scotland a year ago and all Scotland camps have been there since. 

He’ll be around the hearts staff and squad just as much as he normally is albeit only in an off the training pitch sense. If he’s got a niggle he’s got the hearts sport scientists and the Scotland sport scientists working out of the same room I’d imagine. 

He was fit for Saturday. What better way to get him from able to play a half to able to play a full 90 than with intense training and games under his belt. I’d rather he was playing at the top level instead of with lower level reserves where he’s much more likely to get injured. 

He said he felt his hamstring tighten in the morning so was only able to play a short time, maybe I’d he hadn’t been thrown in against Ross County when he wasn’t fit he might be nearly fully fit by now. He still shouldn’t have been involved in this squad though considering he’s only played 80 minutes of football in the last month and isn’t fit.

MarkDevriesScores4

Is anyone surprised by this in the slightest?

Naismith declared himself not fit enough to start on Saturday but magically all better on Monday. 

He has barely kicked a ball in 6 months, the club should have said he stays and gets treatment so he can do the job he is paid to do rather than a vanity jolly to get a fiftieth cap.

other clubs pull players when they’re not 100% but not hearts. Naismith tells Levein what is happening rather than the other way around.

if he’s not fit for club, he’s not fit for country. 

Clarke said about Leigh Griffiths, and I quote “I feel we should just give him a little more time to settle into the role again at Celtic and get himself fully fit and firing.” So what about Naismith? Does the same not apply?

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

As I've already said, the club should have insisted he withdraw because he is not fit. He wan't fit on Saturday, he wasn't fit when selected. He isn't fit now.

Other players withdraw at the slightest sign of a niggle. Are their clubs more important than Hearts?

Again, are you ok with him going with Scotland?

The club can't just insist that he withdraws though. If there is a problem he must first be assessed by the national teams medical staff and a decision is made from there. 

If we simply insist he doesn't go the national team can stop him playing the next club match.

People are far to quick to post without first checking the actual facts. Annoying. 

Berra than you

He was on sportsound last night talking about being involved with Scotland again. Unless he got injured getting out his bed I suspect the story is made up and it's more likely he is just on a reduced schedule due to his age.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Naismith declared himself not fit enough to start on Saturday but magically all better on Monday. 

He has barely kicked a ball in 6 months, the club should have said he stays and gets treatment so he can do the job he is paid to do rather than a vanity jolly to get a fiftieth cap.

other clubs pull players when they’re not 100% but not hearts. Naismith tells Levein what is happening rather than the other way around.

Clarke said about Leigh Griffiths, and I quote “I feel we should just give him a little more time to settle into the role again at Celtic and get himself fully fit and firing.” So what about Naismith? Does the same not apply?

****ing joke to be honest.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

The club can't just insist that he withdraws though. If there is a problem he must first be assessed by the national teams medical staff and a decision is made from there. 

If we simply insist he doesn't go the national team can stop him playing the next club match.

People are far to quick to post without first checking the actual facts. Annoying. 

We did it with Hickey, as the training is at Oriam it’s not far to send them is it? Did you know that? Annoying.

He was not fit on Saturday

There is no chance he would not have come on for Henderson had he been fit

Now I understand he is trying to ease himself back but  at some point he will break out in a full sprint and challenge and with the injury he has it will go unless fully healed

I wanted him to have 2 weeks training as best he can under medical supervision and playing no games to give him the best chance to start on the 15th

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

****ing joke to be honest.

Naismith doesn’t have mental health issues as far as I know, though he probably hasn’t read this thread yet.  

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Naismith doesn’t have mental health issues as far as I know, though he probably hasn’t read this thread yet.  

He is a Rangers man though 🤔. I’m not sure if moving from the hotel he’s currently living in out to Oriam would trouble the poor we soul too much, getting back to normal is what’s helping him recover apparently. He’s also fitter than Naismith is and probably more likely to contribute to these two huge qualifiers.

Edited by Pasquale for King

MarkDevriesScores4
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It’s not about his mental health according to Clarke. It’s about him being “fit and firing”. Naismith has had less game time and certainly isn’t fit and firing.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

He was not fit on Saturday

There is no chance he would not have come on for Henderson had he been fit

Now I understand he is trying to ease himself back but  at some point he will break out in a full sprint and challenge and with the injury he has it will go unless fully healed

I wanted him to have 2 weeks training as best he can under medical supervision and playing no games to give him the best chance to start on the 15th

Agreed, starting on the 15th would be 24 hours too late though 😜.

2 hours ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Should never have gone.

Only fit for ten minutes on the Saturday but reports to Scotland training fully fit on the Monday.

Another blunder from the club.

This all day long.

Absolute farce him going with the squad in the first place.

Not fit for club, not fit for country.

The club and the player should have a long hard look at themselves.

Ridiculous decision to let him go.

He has played virtually no football for months on end.

Why should we get him back possibly injured for months because he wants to play for Scotland

We have given him a 4 year contract and we pay his bloody wages.

He plays 10 mins on Saturday and just toddles off with Scotland.

Beyond belief actually.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, DarioHMFC said:

Souttar crashed his car on a jaunt out last year in his Scotland gear near Drumbrae. For a year anyway I think 

1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I must have missed that, can you explain?

I’m sure you’re smart enough to do without an explanation. Maybe an overreaction but with age against him and recurring issues it’s not inconceivable that he will miss games more often. I really hope I’m wrong as it’s obvious he’s our most talented player. 

34 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Exactly.

He was actually In the starting 11 on Saturday morning and was fine all week at training according to Levein.

His injury just happened to flare up again later the same day and he manages 10 mins but then he joins up with Scotland on Monday.

Absolute joke tbh.

MarkDevriesScores4

It’s fair to say that regardless of what happens on his Scotland jolly, hearts cannot rely on Naismith and we certainly can not structure a team around him. We’re going to have to accept that our 4 year signing will play small bit parts and should be looked at as a bonus in the 10-15 games he’s semi fit each season.

1 hour ago, EH11 said:

His strength of character to not give up on playing with Scotland at a big tournament should be an asset to Hearts.  Also, who'd begrudge the fella his 50th cap.  

I suspect he'll chuck it if Scotland don't make the finals and he manages to hit the 50 mark.

So its ok to play for Scotland when clearly not fit and back to his club possibly fecked for a longer spell.

part_time_jambo
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

If you are selected you need to report.

Otherwise can be barred for playing for club next match.

And when did Scotland ever enforce that? I wish they would though.

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I only want him to do a 2 minute cameo, get his 50th cap then retire from international football tbh...

I'll second that.

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He’s a senior player who declared himself fit to play for Scotland. It’s his body, if he knew there was something wrong, he should have refused to go. 

Again, how is that the club’s fault?

We pay his wages don't you get that

His first duty is to his club

Why should he feck off with Scotland when he is clearly not fit to play more than 10 mins

Happy he plays for Scotland and comes back with his hamstring totally fecked and out for months possibly.

MarkDevriesScores4
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Personally I’m delighted we have Scotland’s first choice striker on our books.

Yeah. Great paying wages to a guy who can’t play for us but can be fit for his country. Delighted 

1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

We pay his wages don't you get that

His first duty is to his club

Why should he feck off with Scotland when he is clearly not fit to play more than 10 mins

Happy he plays for Scotland and comes back with his hamstring totally fecked and out for months possibly.

Do you think Steve Clarke would have picked him if he didn’t say he was fit? 

And you’d be happy he comes back with his hammy totally fecked? 

Weirdo. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Yeah. Great paying wages to a guy who can’t play for us but can be fit for his country. Delighted 

Why can’t he play for us? The Hamilton game came too early. If it was Hamilton this weekend instead of Scotland he’d be playing for us.

This all has a very Aaron Hughes feel about it.

Naismith is unfortunately too injury prone to play for both scotland and hearts.  If he is only able to be fit for a certain amount of games a season then he should retire from international duty and respect the 4 year contract he's signed with us.

I love scotland but Hearts should be his priority now.

Edit - I realise the irony of Longshanks saying he loves scotland :lol:

Edited by Longshanks

MarkDevriesScores4
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Why can’t he play for us? The Hamilton game came too early. If it was Hamilton this weekend instead of Scotland he’d be playing for us.

Why can’t he play for us? That’s a very good question. Maybe you should ask Craig Levein. I suspect the answer will be he had a hamstring injury on Saturday that was fixed in 48hrs.

Steve clarke saying that Naismith didn't train today but should be fine for the game. 

How can you be fine for a game when you can't even train? 

Mental.

MarkDevriesScores4
1 minute ago, Sagan said:

Steve clarke saying that Naismith didn't train today but should be fine for the game. 

How can you be fine for a game when you can't even train? 

Mental.

Sounds like Levein 😂

6 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Do you think Steve Clarke would have picked him if he didn’t say he was fit? 

And you’d be happy he comes back with his hammy totally fecked? 

Weirdo. 

No I meant would YOU be happy for him to come back injured obviously. 

Don't call me a weirdo pal when you don't even know me. 

1 minute ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Sounds like Levein 😂

I get the feeling that the boy is just desperate for his 50th cap. 

He'll no doubt get flung on and come back injured for another 4 months. 

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

No I meant would YOU be happy for him to come back injured obviously. 

Don't call me a weirdo pal when you don't even know me. 

:rofl:

MarkDevriesScores4
Just now, Sagan said:

I get the feeling that the boy is just desperate for his 50th cap. 

He'll no doubt get flung on and come back injured for another 4 months. 

Sounds like he’s already injured 😂. He’ll get flung on 89th minute then we’ll see him around January 

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

He was fit enough to play but possibly not for 90 minutes. 

Yes. 

Presumably he wasn’t fit enough to last 60 minutes since Meshino came on instead.