Austin interview........Next first team coach......?

Section Q

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Boab said:

Would you have him as DoF ?

I wouldn’t !

If things go pear-shaped over the next three games, he should be out the door with the manager and the other coaches.

I don't know tbh. 

Too many variables. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• innerjambo

• Pasquale for King

• Boab

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

One variable !

It goes south, they walk !

Not if he benefits Hearts in other ways and the new manager wants him As DoF. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not if he benefits Hearts in other ways and the new manager wants him As DoF. 

If being the operative word here.

I’m sure someone will post a list of his attributes. I’m struggling to see the evidence of these right now.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Boab said:

If being the operative word here.

I’m sure someone will post a list of his attributes. I’m struggling to see the evidence of these right now.

Ofc "if" is the operative word, hence why I originally said I don't know, too many varaibles.

Full circle, great times. 

48 minutes ago, Boab said:

One variable !

It goes south, they walk !

I don't like this idea that if something isn't clicking, you just rip everything up. Surely you keep a hold of some of the parts/people if they can do a job? Obviously "if" is the operative word. You are advocating just launching everyone and starting again though. I'd rather we fully explored 'if' before we risk chucking out the baby with the bath water. If things only need a small tweak and a change in responsibilities for key personnel to get us performing better, then I'd sooner that was the route we take first.

36 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I don't like this idea that if something isn't clicking, you just rip everything up. Surely you keep a hold of some of the parts/people if they can do a job? Obviously "if" is the operative word. You are advocating just launching everyone and starting again though. I'd rather we fully explored 'if' before we risk chucking out the baby with the bath water. If things only need a small tweak and a change in responsibilities for key personnel to get us performing better, then I'd sooner that was the route we take first.

I think the present system is not working, tbh. Sure, a new guy comes in and might want to retain the services of, say, AM. 

I’m not convinced however. 

Wishful thinking but a clean break and a different direction in the managerial side would work if the right guy is installed.

Everything else at the club is in place. I think the right guy, with his chosen assistants, could do great things here.

Adam_the_legend
46 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Incredible. Hearts form has been atrocious for almost the entire time AM has been a coach! Very common in football (and business, politics et al) when things aren’t going great you get rid of the management team responsible and bring in a new team with new ideas. Why are Hearts different??

20 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Incredible. Hearts form has been atrocious for almost the entire time AM has been a coach! Very common in football (and business, politics et al) when things aren’t going great you get rid of the management team responsible and bring in a new team with new ideas. Why are Hearts different??

Because there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he is the problem. Maybe he is the only one actually contributing anything positive, but it's breaking down somewhere else? This desperation in modern football to rip everything up and start again every couple of seasons is getting us absolutely nowhere. Personally, I'd much rather await the results of the extensive review in to the football departments that Budge has instigated, and then act on the findings.

Maybe he is a part of the problem? Maybe he brings something to the table but he's in the wrong role? Maybe he is the only one making a positive contribution? For me, the sensible thing to do, is to get the right people doing the right things and working to their strengths. Look at Cathro, he's clearly a very very talented football coach. In hindsight, I wish we'd managed to get him in as a coach rather than a manager. Same could be true of Austin, maybe he's better suited to being a DoF?

I don't think it's "incredible" to prefer that we actually take the time review the staff that we have and tweak the set up (much like a good manager does with his squad) to get the best out of what we have, and replacing those who don't fit the system, than it is to just launch in to a complete rebuild.

The same is true of successful management and coaching teams, you need to make sure you benefit from the talent that is there, and get the best out of each of them. Some will fail, others will succeed and some will be jobbers with fair to middling careers in different roles. Look at this photo from 1997, that's the season before we won the Scottish Cup. At the time did you know what the role was of all the men in the photo? Could you have accurately predicted the career paths and successes and failures of them all? I don't think we can really, not from the stands or in front of TV screens. It's the owners and the board who see what is really going on:

Jj and co.jpg

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

35 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Because there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he is the problem. Maybe he is the only one actually contributing anything positive, but it's breaking down somewhere else? This desperation in modern football to rip everything up and start again every couple of seasons is getting us absolutely nowhere. Personally, I'd much rather await the results of the extensive review in to the football departments that Budge has instigated, and then act on the findings.

Maybe he is a part of the problem? Maybe he brings something to the table but he's in the wrong role? Maybe he is the only one making a positive contribution? For me, the sensible thing to do, is to get the right people doing the right things and working to their strengths. Look at Cathro, he's clearly a very very talented football coach. In hindsight, I wish we'd managed to get him in as a coach rather than a manager. Same could be true of Austin, maybe he's better suited to being a DoF?

I don't think it's "incredible" to prefer that we actually take the time review the staff that we have and tweak the set up (much like a good manager does with his squad) to get the best out of what we have, and replacing those who don't fit the system, than it is to just launch in to a complete rebuild.

The same is true of successful management and coaching teams, you need to make sure you benefit from the talent that is there, and get the best out of each of them. Some will fail, others will succeed and some will be jobbers with fair to middling careers in different roles. Look at this photo from 1997, that's the season before we won the Scottish Cup. At the time did you know what the role was of all the men in the photo? Could you have accurately predicted the career paths and successes and failures of them all? I don't think we can really, not from the stands or in front of TV screens. It's the owners and the board who see what is really going on:

Jj and co.jpg

It’s a very good post, T, but the argument among detractors is that there has been plenty time and opportunity afforded to the present group of coaches, with no great sign that we are moving forwards. 

That’s Cup runs aside of course, which can be deceiving.

CL is at the heart of all this and the sooner he steps aside, the better imo.

Maybe we would then see a different AM for example.

I can’t see it however.

By that, I mean CL leaving completely and AM taking over the manager’s job. Would be interesting to find out though !

I hope not. Granted he’s managed to pull in a few good signings but that’s about it, these daft set pieces which work 1 in 100. He has so much influence as Levein has came out before and said he doesnt take the training till thursday so alot of this falls at MacPhees door. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

You're last sentence is the only thing of sense you've posted in a while, not for the reasons you think, tho. 

Keep going pal, will be the Championship by the time you open your eyes.

22 minutes ago, Boab said:

It’s a very good post, T, but the argument among detractors is that there has been plenty time and opportunity afforded to the present group of coaches, with no great sign that we are moving forwards. 

That’s Cup runs aside of course, which can be deceiving.

CL is at the heart of all this and the sooner he steps aside, the better imo.

Maybe we would then see a different AM for example.

I can’t see it however.

By that, I mean CL leaving completely and AM taking over the manager’s job. Would be interesting to find out though !

It's a great photo too, eh? Two former Hearts managers in that photo, two former assistant Hearts managers, and going by the date it was taken, there's a very good chance that there is another former Hearts coach and manager out on the pitch, playing as captain. There's also two former Livingston managers in the photo, a former Hibs manager and assistant manager, and a former Scotland assistant manager. Two of the men in the photo have lifted the Scottish Cup as managers. A snapshot in time!

Adam_the_legend
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Jj and co.jpg

Your right, that’s how things work in modern football. Not at Hearts though. We’re special. We’ve had a coaching set up which is clearly not fit for purpose (check out our league positions or the last 10 months form table if you need evidence. This team doesn’t just need “tweaks” all the evidence, and there is lots of it, suggests a complete change is required. 

3 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Your right, that’s how things work in modern football. Not at Hearts though. We’re special. We’ve had a coaching set up which is clearly not fit for purpose (check out our league positions or the last 10 months form table if you need evidence. This team doesn’t just need “tweaks” all the evidence, and there is lots of it, suggests a complete change is required. 

Yes, I can't quite see how the jury can still be out on ANY member of our coaching staff.

The evidence is all out on the pitch on matchdays.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Mind when we were supposed to be delighted that McPhee didn’t go to some random job in India :rofl:

Edited by Dusk_Till_Dawn

4 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Jj and co.jpg

Good post.