Good Naismith interview in EEN

Pants Shaton

References the Hearts fans booing our 0-0 against Livingston after we’d won about 9 on the bounce.

Hearts fans really are the best and worst football fans.

Deluded as I am - still think we’ll have a good season.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• GorgieFifeLife

• We_are_the_Hearts

• Robbo-Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I havent read the article but the booing of recent games has been well earned, perhaps they need to perform to avoid the booing.

It isnt high expectations to beat Ross County and Hamilton at home.

2 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Does anyone think it helps the players..? 

Perhaps its more about telling the owner the fans have had enough even if she hasnt.

Deluded? Who knows Pants, maybes aye, maybes naw. For me though, Levein is done. A dead man walking. It’s just a matter of when not if for me. I’m done with him. Feels like every day now is just another day wasted, another day where we could be working with a new exciting boss in charge, with a renewed excitement in the stands. Until it happens though, I find myself becoming a little more apathetic each and every day. 

Re Naismith, he’s probably right. We can be a bunch of moaning barstewards, but hey ho, we SHOULD have high expectations. For years and years we were considered ‘the best of the rest’ (which was shite in itself imo) but we were. That’s the very bare minimum we should expect from Heart it Midlothian, and we’ve been let down now for too long. 

Awww diddums did the big bad fans upset them? They can **** right off. We are at the stage where we can't even win at Tynecastle. Sorry, I mean Budge's Tynecastle.

August Landmesser

Encouraging to hear that the players are determined to fix things, and that the pressure on CL can act as motivation for them. Our dressing room does have a few strong characters in it these days, so (on paper at least) it seems like the will is there to improve.

Two weeks to work on getting it right for 'well.

He’s right of course. He should have said what he really thinks about our support at times as well because he’d be right about that too. 

Not sure he is being critical of the fans, merely highlighting the expectations that are there.

The interesting point for me was when he mentions whilst Levein leads there is so much more that goes on through the week with the coaches and experienced players.  I might be reading too much into that statement but it feels like Daly, Fox, McPhee, Naismith, Berra etc. are leading things day to day. Whilst its good to have players of that experience I would suggest a strong manager with a strong vision on how the team should play would garner better results. Sounds like there is too many chiefs and we look confused on the park as a result.

4 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

I don't think it does, but would clapping them off help either? 

Naismith certainly isn't complaining about getting booed. He's a pro, he knows the levels have dropped, he knows what is expected here and he knows the booing won't stop unless performances and results improve. Simple stuff really. 

1 minute ago, bistokid said:

Not sure he is being critical of the fans, merely highlighting the expectations that are there.

The interesting point for me was when he mentions whilst Levein leads there is so much more that goes on through the week with the coaches and experienced players.  I might be reading too much into that statement but it feels like Daly, Fox, McPhee, Naismith, Berra etc. are leading things day to day. Whilst its good to have players of that experience I would suggest a strong manager with a strong vision on how the team should play would garner better results. Sounds like there is too many chiefs and we look confused on the park as a result.

Levein is too busy helping Budge select a paint colour for the new innovation centre.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Awww diddums did the big bad fans upset them? They can **** right off. We are at the stage where we can't even win at Tynecastle. Sorry, I mean Budge's Tynecastle.

You’ve renamed Tynecastle ‘Budges Tynecastle’. In your own head, you’ve renamed it 🤣🤣🤣 Have a day off ffs, you’re becoming a parody of yersel 🙄

We_are_the_Hearts
7 minutes ago, communist said:

I don't think it does, but would clapping them off help either? 

Naismith certainly isn't complaining about getting booed. He's a pro, he knows the levels have dropped, he knows what is expected here and he knows the booing won't stop unless performances and results improve. Simple stuff really. 

Exactly, hopefully the rest of the snowflakes take note. A good honest interview unlike the patronizing, stubborn garbage on offer from the Director/Director of Football/First team Coach/Academy adviser....................................... 

Edited by We_are_the_Hearts

Captain Price
12 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Budges Tynecastle :lol:

GorgieFifeLife

More talking. We have had 3 years of continual spouting about performances from players and management and little action. Levein is done and should have been sacked yesterday. If Budge doesn't sack him this week she is done.

13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Levein is too busy helping Budge select a paint colour for the new innovation centre.

They only have 2 options IMO.

Steven Naismith today spoke out on mounting pressure at Hearts and delivered a brutally honest assessment of why his team are underperforming.

Insisting players are behind under-fire manager Craig Levein, Naismith said fans’ demands are here to stay so every individual must look himself in the mirror if the underachievement is to stop.

The Scotland forward gave a candid interview to the Evening News as he prepared for international duty against Russia and Belgium. With his club joint-bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership after four matches, he urged everyone to take collective responsibility for the malaise after just four league wins in 2019.

Levein endured most of the criticism at the end of Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Hamilton Academical at Tynecastle Park. Supporters unhappy with results and performances for months vented their pent-up anger. However, Naismith offered a more in-depth view and explained that players feel responsible for the manager’s abuse.

“The manager is the guy who takes the flak because he is the guy doing the press and leading the team. However, we have a right good squad in there which is underachieving so far this season. That is the bottom line. It’s a collective,” said the striker. “Every one of us need to have a look and get better. We now have this international break, which lets us reset a bit. It lets us take in what happened on Saturday, take in how the crowd were at the end of the game, and understand what’s required at Hearts.

“The pressure isn’t going away. We won our first nine games last season and then played Livi at home. We were drawing 0-0 at half-time and got booed off. That pressure is here because that’s the level expected. As a collective, we need to understand that’s it and thrive on it. That’s something I learned in my Rangers days - you need to win every game. I enjoy that pressure. We need to start to grasp it.”

Naismith said Levein still retains players’ backing. “We are 100 per cent behind him. We stand behind him and he leads us. Throughout the week, there is so much more that happens with the coaches and experienced players, so it really is a collective which must be better.

“To be honest, overall Saturday wasn’t good enough. We were miles off where we need to be. Defensively, the whole team were shocking. That’s not something associated with a team like us. Since I’ve been here, the defensive side has been the most consistent. Saturday was miles away from being good enough as a team. Defensively we were too soft, they were taking second balls and we were naive at times. Then you don’t manage the game well enough.

“You get the lead and try to push on. Hamilton get a goal which, in our eyes, is shocking. When we take the lead the second time, we should manage the game and play the right way. Don’t give away any chances, don’t play risky passes.

“It’s just choice of pass. Do we need to shoot from outside the box at 2-1 up? Then they go up the park and hit the bar. That can’t happen. That’s where we need to learn quick. Aberdeen was the same. We get into the lead and then don’t manage the game well enough. That’s a problem.”

Just what we all knew anyway.

Edited by upgotheheads

I don’t think Naismith is complaining - Hearts fans are miserable, loyal ****ers.

The fact that Naismith signed for us, indicates to me that a guy who has operated at the very top of the game has respect  for the management team.

29 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

10 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Steven Naismith today spoke out on mounting pressure at Hearts and delivered a brutally honest assessment of why his team are underperforming.

Insisting players are behind under-fire manager Craig Levein, Naismith said fans’ demands are here to stay so every individual must look himself in the mirror if the underachievement is to stop.

The Scotland forward gave a candid interview to the Evening News as he prepared for international duty against Russia and Belgium. With his club joint-bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership after four matches, he urged everyone to take collective responsibility for the malaise after just four league wins in 2019.

Levein endured most of the criticism at the end of Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Hamilton Academical at Tynecastle Park. Supporters unhappy with results and performances for months vented their pent-up anger. However, Naismith offered a more in-depth view and explained that players feel responsible for the manager’s abuse.

“The manager is the guy who takes the flak because he is the guy doing the press and leading the team. However, we have a right good squad in there which is underachieving so far this season. That is the bottom line. It’s a collective,” said the striker. “Every one of us need to have a look and get better. We now have this international break, which lets us reset a bit. It lets us take in what happened on Saturday, take in how the crowd were at the end of the game, and understand what’s required at Hearts.

“The pressure isn’t going away. We won our first nine games last season and then played Livi at home. We were drawing 0-0 at half-time and got booed off. That pressure is here because that’s the level expected. As a collective, we need to understand that’s it and thrive on it. That’s something I learned in my Rangers days - you need to win every game. I enjoy that pressure. We need to start to grasp it.”

Naismith said Levein still retains players’ backing. “We are 100 per cent behind him. We stand behind him and he leads us. Throughout the week, there is so much more that happens with the coaches and experienced players, so it really is a collective which must be better.

“To be honest, overall Saturday wasn’t good enough. We were miles off where we need to be. Defensively, the whole team were shocking. That’s not something associated with a team like us. Since I’ve been here, the defensive side has been the most consistent. Saturday was miles away from being good enough as a team. Defensively we were too soft, they were taking second balls and we were naive at times. Then you don’t manage the game well enough.

“You get the lead and try to push on. Hamilton get a goal which, in our eyes, is shocking. When we take the lead the second time, we should manage the game and play the right way. Don’t give away any chances, don’t play risky passes.

“It’s just choice of pass. Do we need to shoot from outside the box at 2-1 up? Then they go up the park and hit the bar. That can’t happen. That’s where we need to learn quick. Aberdeen was the same. We get into the lead and then don’t manage the game well enough. That’s a problem.”

Just what we all knew anyway.

Nailed it as usual i8. Excellent research goes in to your posts!!

kingantti1874
39 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

do you think the reaction would be any different at rangers or celtic? It would be a lot worse.. fans are absolutely right to show displeasure

Tynecastlesmychurch

I like Naismith. And I respect his opinion. But to be honest I just don't care anymore. I'm fed up of the excuses. I'm fed up of constantly looking for even the smallest slightest positives in order to try and defend Levein. We need top 4 we need a crack at European football next season. As a fan base I think we're desperate for it. And the longer we wait to replace Craig the harder top 4 and Europe is going to be. 

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Naismith will fancy it if there is a vacancy.

Has he the formal qualifications required these days ?

As an aside just back in Cairns from first grandchild's first birthday family get together in Melbourne...

and sunny all long weekend !

Onup

TW

The Treasurer
49 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

You're slipping there i8, you almost forgot to put in a pointless, irrelevant jibe about Mrs Budge.

Glad you remembered in time

49 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It's not Budge's

HillmanHearts

Honest assessment from Naismith.

Hopefully the other players get it too.

We do however really need results more than statements at this stage ( 4 wins in 2019 FFS ! )

Goes without saying but It would be a great help to get him playing more -  and off course to get some sensible starting selections from management.

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Pants Shaton said:

References the Hearts fans booing our 0-0 against Livingston after we’d won about 9 on the bounce.

Hearts fans really are the best and worst football fans.

Deluded as I am - still think we’ll have a good season.

I agree to a certain extent.

Do we, as a support, have unrealistic expectations?

Quite possibly at times.

But expecting more than 2 points from homes games against Hamilton and Ross County and expecting more than four wins it 9 months is certainly not asking for too much, especially with the squad we have

Fed up with articles every week about how the players understand it's not been good enough.

I know they have to say something, and that they are being asked the question, but I'm not interested anymore.

Just now, Bunny Munro said:

Fed up with articles every week about how the players understand it's not been good enough.

I know they have to say something, and that they are being asked the question, but I'm not interested anymore.

Let’s see them do some talking on the pitch for a change!!!!!

40 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

I don’t think Naismith is complaining - Hearts fans are miserable, loyal ****ers.

The fact that Naismith signed for us, indicates to me that a guy who has operated at the very top of the game has respect  for the management team.

So there is no issue with the management? Or there is an issue with Naismiths judgement? 

We don’t need more honest assessments. We need change. He done a similar piece last season as well, funnily enough he referenced the Livi game in that as well. Levein is in Cathro land now, his tenure is toxic and without change an all ready hard to please crowd will be unbearable. Every stray pass, goal conceded, point dropped etc etc will be met with hostility. No player wants to play in that environment. Levein has to go. 

It’s good for Naismith to speak up but how much longer do we need to wait on certain players to ‘step up’?

In one sequence of play we see Mulraney jump out a tackle and Clare not fancy the joust in the air at the other end which then led to the goal. 

These things happen too often with Hearts now and it seems the management don’t reinforce the basics. If they are and the players aren’t responding, then they need dropped or emptied in time. 

1 hour ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

More talking. We have had 3 years of continual spouting about performances from players and management and little action. Levein is done and should have been sacked yesterday. If Budge doesn't sack him this week she is done.

She is done???😯😯😯😯 what a pile of garbage

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s good for Naismith to speak up but how much longer do we need to wait on certain players to ‘step up’?

In one sequence of play we see Mulraney jump out a tackle and Clare not fancy the joust in the air at the other end which then led to the goal. 

These things happen too often with Hearts now and it seems the management don’t reinforce the basics. If they are and the players aren’t responding, then they need dropped or emptied in time. 

2 impact players who would be better from the bench. Then you have White who can't last 90 mins, Hickey and Irving who also can't, 3 bang average keepers and it's not a surprise to see why we are struggling. We have become a SOFT team and teams look forward to playing us.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

Perhaps its more about telling the owner the fans have had enough even if she hasnt.

What? At 0-0 at home to Livingston sitting top of the league?

GorgieFifeLife
5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

She is done???😯😯😯😯 what a pile of garbage

If she doesn't act on Levein she will be as culpable as him and will lose the fans.

2 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

If she doesn't act on Levein she will be as culpable as him and will lose the fans.

And in your weird world, who is going to sack our owner??

6 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

Any manager who plays one upfront at home to Hamilton deserves to be booed in my opinion.

As Clueless as this journalist 

6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

What? At 0-0 at home to Livingston sitting top of the league?

Or 1-0 up, you’re controlling the game, Building from the back and the same fans moaning about hoofball are booing and shouting “get it up the ****ing park Hertz” 🤦‍♂️

GorgieFifeLife
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I didn't say anything about her being sacked.  I said she would be done in the eyes of fans because if she cant do what is required then her support from fans will disappear.  Now toddle off to your weird world.

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

Encouraging to hear that the players are determined to fix things, and that the pressure on CL can act as motivation for them. Our dressing room does have a few strong characters in it these days, so (on paper at least) it seems like the will is there to improve.

Two weeks to work on getting it right for 'well.

They looked really determined on Saturday against Hamilton 🙄

They knew that was a huge game for Levein and they were ****** awful. 

The Future's Maroon
25 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Didn’t read it. Find it hard to accept he wasn’t fit enough on Saturday but fit as a fiddle on the Monday.

If you read the other article with him about the Scotland games he clearly explains why he didn’t start on Saturday 👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Or 1-0 up, you’re controlling the game, Building from the back and the same fans moaning about hoofball are booing and shouting “get it up the ****ing park Hertz” 🤦‍♂️

It would be fantastic, highly unlikely, but fantastic, if we all got right behind them this next batch of games and stop feeling sorry ourselves.

The club is riddled with what seems self pity, accusations and counter accusations. We need leaders, we need inspiration, we need fighting spirit channelled from pitch to stand and stand to pitch.

**** it, lets get behind the useless *****

Just now, Sir Gio said:

It would be fantastic, highly unlikely, but fantastic, if we all got right behind them this next batch of games and stop feeling sorry ourselves.

The club is riddled with what seems self pity, accusations and counter accusations. We need leaders, we need inspiration, we need fighting spirit channelled from pitch to stand and stand to pitch.

**** it, lets get behind the useless *****

Won’t catch on - but it absolutely should.

It should have been ten

1 hour ago, Pants Shaton said:

13 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Spot on! 

18 minutes ago, XB52 said:

:qqb006: