Budgement day 2

pointon

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Never heard of Sporting Directors? Lots of clubs have them with the first team a separate dept. Man U, Arsenal, Man C to name three 

OK. What is a "Sporting Director"'s role?. And can you name a club that isn't in one of the top 10 or 20 in the world that has one?

And how exactly would Craig's experience qualify him for the role?

Hearts should not be aa employment agency for one man? Much greater Hearts men have not enjoyed that status.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FruitJuice

• Bazzas right boot

• davemclaren

• shaun.lawson

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

What exactly are we going to do if she doesn’t? I think that’s more pertinent now than another thread saying what’s been said 100’s of times on other threads?

Well by the sounds of it you'll give up and get the white flag up.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Eh....we have been talking about that regularly today 

Sir Gio has ignored the many managers available. I wonder why

2 hours ago, ford donald said:

Was settled fairly by everyone involved,What's your problem with that?

Lennon took them to the cleaners for compensation when in fact he should have been sacked for gross misconduct( bullying and assault).   Dempster suspended him pending an investigation but Petrie shit his breeks and caved in . Result is Hibs are going to be looking for a new manager and a new CEO.

4 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Well by the sounds of it you'll give up and get the white flag up.

And you managed to conclude this from me asking what the plan was if Ann Budge doesn’t sack Levein this week?

Glamorgan Jambo
9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

OK. What is a "Sporting Director"'s role?. And can you name a club that isn't in one of the top 10 or 20 in the world that has one?

And how exactly would Craig's experience qualify him for the role?

Hearts should not be aa employment agency for one man? Much greater Hearts men have not enjoyed that status.

Southampton had a guy called Les Reed in that sort of role for quite a few years although he got fired at the end of last year when the club got taken over. They now have have a guy called Ross Wilson who I'm sure Sevco offered the job to  on more than one occasion. 

As I said on another thread if we make the change I'd suggest that the head coach report to the CEO directly while the Football director oversees the academy, scouting and recruitment, and everything else apart from the first team.

We would need Craig to stay on as football director for the rest of the season before leaving completely next summer. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Sir Gio has ignored the many managers available. I wonder why

I don't know what you mean Mitch. What manager is available.  I started a thread to get some opinions on that.

I'm not ignoring anything buddy 

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

And you managed to conclude this from me asking what the plan was if Ann Budge doesn’t sack Levein this week?

Get a decent management team.

Maybe that's too difficult for some to understand but it has happened before believe it or not

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I don't know what you mean Mitch. What manager is available.  I started a thread to get some opinions on that.

I'm not ignoring anything buddy 

Oh dear and I thought you were stalking my posts lol. Let me look back and have a wee look for you.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, mitch41 said:

Oh dear and I thought you were stalking my posts lol. Let me look back and have a wee look for you.

Eh. No. Touch of paranoia kicking in  :lol:

2 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

She said as much on Day 1 of the job "I don't the first about running a football club so will be relying on Craig".

It's something her dwindling band of Sheeple that think 'Her Majesty' can do absolutely no wrong seem to have forgotten.  Must have very short, or more likely, selective, memories. 

Would you rather she hadn't bothered buying the majority shareholding then ?

I agree that she has depended on CL but I'm sure she will sort this mess out.

What would be your preferred choice of ownership once FOH have gained majority control ?

26 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes. Norwich. In common with dozens of clubs across Europe. 

The Sporting Director is the equivalent of a General Manager in baseball or the NFL. He works with the head coach in overseeing recruitment and developing the youth system/academy. You'll see this more and more in British football, because (1) Nowadays, the manager/head coach's role is almost too big for one person, especially at higher levels (2) No club should stand or fall on one individual. Long term sustainability makes that an incredibly invidious position to be in. 

In an ideal world, if the club plays the same way at all age levels, and if recruitment is based on that, any club with a Sporting Director should move seamlessly onward even as the head coach changes from time to time. But that means the Sporting Director and the head coach have to be on the same page in terms of their footballing ideas. In practice, too often, egos tend to clash; and British managers resent not having 100% power in the transfer market. 

As for Hearts? We effectively binned this model when Levein became manager. I certainly can't think of any other club which has the same DoF and manager. It's ridiculous tbh.

19 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Southampton had a guy called Les Reed in that sort of role for quite a few years although he got fired at the end of last year when the club got taken over.

The new FA Technical Director. Such an inspiring appointment. :rolleyes: 

Quite the career old Les has had. Seems to have constantly fallen on his feet wherever he's gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Reed_(football_manager)

Horatio Caine
47 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

Correct, he was sitting alone watching the match.

He left around 5.40pm.

McCann was sitting in the press box with the other Sportsound people - with a notebook with the teams scribbled down etc, speaking into his mike quite a lot so i presumed he was part of the team covering the match.  I didn't see him anywhere near the Directors Box. As for when he left, I dunno.  I was long gone!!

Clark Griswold
2 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

McCann was sitting in the press box with the other Sportsound people - with a notebook with the teams scribbled down etc, speaking into his mike quite a lot so i presumed he was part of the team covering the match.  I didn't see him anywhere near the Directors Box. As for when he left, I dunno.  I was long gone!!

aye he was, was listening to Sportsound for a bit before the game and him and Michael Stewart were on.

18 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Maybe the person that saw NM in the Director's Box has forgotten that it's moved to the back of the main stand? 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Would it be ridiculous for everyone to get right behind the team and lift them. 

Show just great a support we are. 

Or have I lost the plot. Don't answer  :lol:

I think the fans are and will be right behind the team. But it’s hard to continue if they won’t even put the effort in.

18 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Maybe the person that saw NM in the Director's Box has forgotten that it's moved to the back of the main stand? 

It’s also quite common for McCann to pop into hospitality after being on the radio or tv. Not much in anything if he hung around I don’t think 

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Yes. Norwich. In common with dozens of clubs across Europe. 

The Sporting Director is the equivalent of a General Manager in baseball or the NFL. He works with the head coach in overseeing recruitment and developing the youth system/academy. You'll see this more and more in British football, because (1) Nowadays, the manager/head coach's role is almost too big for one person, especially at higher levels (2) No club should stand or fall on one individual. Long term sustainability makes that an incredibly invidious position to be in. 

In an ideal world, if the club plays the same way at all age levels, and if recruitment is based on that, any club with a Sporting Director should move seamlessly onward even as the head coach changes from time to time. But that means the Sporting Director and the head coach have to be on the same page in terms of their footballing ideas. In practice, too often, egos tend to clash; and British managers resent not having 100% power in the transfer market. 

As for Hearts? We effectively binned this model when Levein became manager. I certainly can't think of any other club which has the same DoF and manager. It's ridiculous tbh.

OK thanks. I am not sure that our record in recruitment in the last 5 years suggests Levein should be a shoe-in for the job of 

Sporting Director. To put it mildly.

No problem with a new structure but Levein has to  go not just because of his record but his power and influence would restrict the choice of new head coach/manager. 

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

OK thanks. I am not sure that our record in recruitment in the last 5 years suggests Levein should be a shoe-in for the job of 

No problem with a new structure but Levein has to  go not just because of his record but his power and influence would restrict the choice of new head coach/manager. 

Exactly right.

I don't know how often the Hearts board meet but in the circumstances of the poor performances of our first team and the fans response directed at Craig Levein to be sacked a board meetting should be held no later than today.

Going by 4 different polls that i have seen 90% plus want him sacked as manager. After the worst run of league runs i can remember i'd suggest the board do not ignore the feelings of the fans.

Mid Calder Jambo
4 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I don't know how often the Hearts board meet but in the circumstances of the poor performances of our first team and the fans response directed at Craig Levein to be sacked a board meetting should be held no later than today.

Going by 4 different polls that i have seen 90% plus want him sacked as manager. After the worst run of league runs i can remember i'd suggest the board do not ignore the feelings of the fans.

Could not have said it better myself.

5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Unfortunately I don't think there is any intention at the club to fire Levein and MacPhee.  We will get a few better results in the next few games and the swing in fans sentiment of the last few days will go back the other way.

After Budge described Levein as disorganised he fired back at her with his comments about only managers being able to criticise managers.  She then fell into line and capitulated with the Levein great job interview.

11 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I’m sure with your influence they are working towards a solution as we type. 😎

Dagger Is Back

ABs part 1 statement was on 2 August. Part 2 would follow shortly. And she's got a cheek to call CL disorganised?

Joking apart, I wonder what is causing the delay?

2 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

ABs part 1 statement was on 2 August. Part 2 would follow shortly. And she's got a cheek to call CL disorganised?

Joking apart, I wonder what is causing the delay?

She’s oot wi Fabio Capello.....maybe asking him to jot a few things doon !

Is all this homework your own, Ms Budge ??

Guest ToqueJambo
On 02/09/2019 at 00:55, sadj said:

People wanting Neilson are for the most part people who rely on stats in arguments 😉 naaa in all seriousness if you do look at the stats Robbie without the Championship Season is only a couple of percentage points above CL. RN’s football the last few months was not great to watch. Its boom or bust with it. Maybe he has learned a bit since then but I think its a backward step. 

One thing Robbie has proven in all his jobs so far (including MK initially) is that he can get players pulling together and playing for him and picking up results very quickly. I think that suggests he's a very good man manager and maybe a better coach than he's given credit for.

45 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

One thing Robbie has proven in all his jobs so far (including MK initially) is that he can get players pulling together and playing for him and picking up results very quickly. I think that suggests he's a very good man manager and maybe a better coach than he's given credit for.

Certainly better than who we currently have that’s for damn sure.

Guest ToqueJambo

The question is will Budgement Day 2 live up to or even better its predecessor? Will it be Terminator 2, The Godfather II or Empire Strikes Back? Or will it be Caddyshack II, Speed II or Son of the Mask?

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The question is will Budgement Day 2 live up to or even better its predecessor? Will it be Terminator 2, The Godfather II or Empire Strikes Back? Or will it be Caddyshack II, Speed II or Son of the Mask?

How dare you!!! 

Sandra Bullock makes every film good. 

The Shed Floodlight
2 hours ago, Masonic said:

would take neilson back or JJ

Neilson won the vermin the cup.  Short memories some of you lot have... the fact he won them the cup wouldn't bother budge with her cosy relationship with the vermin

Guest ToqueJambo
On 03/09/2019 at 02:07, Francis Albert said:

Dundee Utd have a Sporting Director. Seems to be doing a decent job. Although he's just appointed his son head of the academy! Imagine that with us. Dougie Freedman is Sporting Director at Palace and Thomas Flogel is a Sporting Director in Austria. I think it's kind of like a DoF really, or at least the same types who become sporting directors are probably also in line to be DoFs.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, The Shed Floodlight said:

Neilson won the vermin the cup.  Short memories some of you lot have... the fact he won them the cup wouldn't bother budge with her cosy relationship with the vermin

It was a cracking header from that corner right enough.

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It was a cracking header from that corner right enough.

Almost up there with his other famous strike and that tackle....

24 minutes ago, The Shed Floodlight said:

😂😂😂🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Guest ToqueJambo
38 minutes ago, sadj said:

Almost up there with his other famous strike and that tackle....

The way he jumped from his sofa right through the telly into the game to score for Hibs is one of my best ever Robbie Neilson memories.

36 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

😂😂😂🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

You're not blaming him for the second half in the first game or the approach we had in the replay? They wouldn't have won it if we had just kept going for them.  Patterson was trying to get forward in the replay and was told to stay back.  

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

You're not blaming him for the second half in the first game or the approach we had in the replay? They wouldn't have won it if we had just kept going for them.  Patterson was trying to get forward in the replay and was told to stay back.  

Did Tony Mowbray win us the cup in 2006. Did he ****, we (including Robbie Neilson at two key moments funnily enough) did it ourselves.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Did Tony Mowbray win us the cup in 2006. Did he ****, we (including Robbie Neilson at two key moments funnily enough) did it ourselves.

A more positive approach at 2-0 up and they were out.  In the replay we played the whole game like the second 45 minutes at home.  You dont blame his approach in both of these examples for not knocking them out?  In a way we are still like that.  Very rarely do we go ahead and then try and kill teams off.  

1 hour ago, The Shed Floodlight said:

What nonsense.

What absolute nonsense.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

A more positive approach at 2-0 up and they were out.  In the replay we played the whole game like the second 45 minutes at home.  You dont blame his approach in both of these examples for not knocking them out?  In a way we are still like that.  Very rarely do we go ahead and then try and kill teams off.  

We lost that first game because we had a team of walking wounded by the end, starting with when Stubbs told Bartley to knobble Djoum as soon as possible in the 2nd half, which he did. They also got to Nicolson - again deliberately - and put him out the game for a while. Pallardo also had a knock. We couldn't make all the subs we needed to do because of the enforced subs due to injuries earlier. There's also the small fact of losing our top scorer and best player on the eve of the game. Even then Hibs needed a very jammy goal to tie it. Ridiculous to judge Neilson on that game.

Man Utd fans: "We hate Alex Ferguson! He won City the league by losing 6-1 to them, at home!"

Strange how that's not their view. I guess that's because they don't live in some teeny, tiny, parochial beyond belief world.

20 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Man Utd fans: "We hate Alex Ferguson! He won City the league by losing 6-1 to them, at home!"

Strange how that's not their view. I guess that's because they don't live in some teeny, tiny, parochial beyond belief world.

Being pissed off with drawing and losing the way we did to hibs, and that having an influence on them getting something that had evaded them, isn't parochial in my eyes.  Isn't being parochial towards your rivals what it's about? Maybe it doesn't mean as much to you as it does to some of us.  Not a dig at not being phm, just seems you see our rivalry differently.  A league game is completely different to being 2-0 up in the cup at home to your rivals.  

2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Being pissed off with drawing and losing the way we did to hibs, and that having an influence on them getting something that had evaded them, isn't parochial in my eyes.  Isn't being parochial towards your rivals what it's about? Maybe it doesn't mean as much to you as it does to some of us.  Not a dig at not being phm, just seems you see our rivalry differently.  A league game is completely different to being 2-0 up in the cup at home to your rivals.  

Explain the attitude of Man Utd fans given what I mentioned above please. Ferguson lost 6-1 - at home! - to their city rivals, who hadn't won the league since 1968. They lost the title on goal difference because of that defeat... and choked an 8 point lead away late in the season, partly because of being doubled by City and playing incredibly defensively that night.

So why don't United fans hate him?

Edited by shaun.lawson

52 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

He has to accept responsibility for losing that tie. Not for Hibs winning the cup though. Hibs had a far bigger part in it than us.