*****New Craig Levein Poll 31/08*****

Whatever

*****New Craig Levein Poll 31/08*****  

1,302 members have voted

1. 1. Should craig Levein....

• Remain in position as head coach and director of football
    • Leave/be removed from his role as head coach but remain at the club as Director of football
    • Leave/be removed from his role as director of football but remain at the club as head coach
    • Leave/be removed from the club completely

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Dont think it's about the 1st 4 games tbh the record over the past year has been woeful. 

Maybe some see it that way but we've got half a new team. New seasons mean a clean slate for me and the start hasn't been nearly as bad as some are making out. RossCounty and Hamilton very disappointing, Aberdeen and Motherwell encouraging.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

• 1874robbo

• Jambo-Fox

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Maybe some see it that way but we've got half a new team. New seasons mean a clean slate for me and the start hasn't been nearly as bad as some are making out. RossCounty and Hamilton very disappointing, Aberdeen and Motherwell encouraging.

A defeat ...encouraging ffs.

I know it's you craig...

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

A few seem to be hoping we won't. Imagine planning a protest after 4 games of a new season. Absolute lunatics.

Imagine thinking the problem is just the first four games of the season. Mental.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Apart from a quarter of an hour after Naismith came on, we were honking against Aberdeen. And anyone who thought we looked great, rather than bang average against a team playing shit, n the motherwell game wasnt paying attention.

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

What about the four league cup group games, Motherwell away was good and is used to show we can improve. 

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, sadj said:

5pm til 10pm? Not a chance people will stay for 5hours. Win lose or draw. There was about 10shouting after Ross County and Hamilton and they pretty much left with the rest of the crowd from what people said. 

What time does the 1874 bar close after the game? It really shouldn’t have got to this stage, even his biggest defenders are now of the opinion he should be relieved of the managers job.

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

A few seem to be hoping we won't. Imagine planning a protest after 4 games of a new season. Absolute lunatics.

It’s 9 games. It’s also clear to the majority that although the players change the results don’t and he needs to go. I’ve no idea about those who organised it as I’m not in that group. People are frustrated  and need to vent it.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s 9 games. It’s also clear to the majority that although the players change the results don’t and he needs to go. I’ve no idea about those who organised it as I’m not in that group. People are frustrated  and need to vent it.

You can be absolutely sure if we had 5 strong wins in the cup ties  the same posters who kid on they’re not part of our season would be using those games to back their side of the debate.

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You can be absolutely sure if we had 5 strong wins in the cup ties  the same posters who kid on they’re not part of our season would be using those games to back their side of the debate.

Indeed, as they use the Motherwell game to show improvement.

scott herbertson

My option isn't there.

Get a new manager in and Levein remains a Director, perhaps overseeing the academy and general development, but has no involvement in the recruitment or management of the first team.

11 hours ago, HighTimes said:

Imagine thinking the problem is just the first four games of the season. Mental.

Exactly!!! Some people have short memories.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Exactly!!! Some people have short memories.

Every season is different, is the new mantra.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

What about the four league cup group games, Motherwell away was good and is used to show we can improve. 

The league cup games were all about qualifying, like any early round cup game. I don't remember being worried about our season when we scraped past Auchinleck or the many other times we've scraped through in early rounds against smaller teams we *should* be gubbing.

Good you mention Motherwell. They skooshed the league cup group games, scoring for fun. We then put them out easily. So they mean very little in the grand scheme of things. Qualifying, getting players match fit for the league start and avoiding injuries is surely what matters?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Remember when we finished 7th one season then got to within 7 minutes of the league title the next one with the same manager and most of the same players? 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

This is the cycle we’re stuck in.

”See where we are after 12 games.”

”Let’s assess it at Christmas.”

”The end of the season is the time for decisions.”

On repeat.

It’ll be 2049 when someone with the authority finally thinks ‘hey, this is dogshit.’

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Remember when we finished 7th one season then got to within 7 minutes of the league title the next one with the same manager and most of the same players? 

:rofl: Jesus, there’s no hope with you man

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Would seventh be ok this season, on the off chance we might win the league next year?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This is the cycle we’re stuck in.

”See where we are after 12 games.”

”Let’s assess it at Christmas.”

”The end of the season is the time for decisions.”

On repeat.

It’ll be 2049 when someone with the authority finally thinks ‘hey, this is dogshit.’

What makes you think that?

Budge (and Levein) acted decisively and ruthlessly when they decided Locke and some of the layers should go.

When it was clear Cathro was not capable of turning things around, they acted quickly and again ruthlessly considering how close Levein and Cathro were.

There's no reason at all to think if it becomes clear we can't turn this around under Levein and co that Budge won't act quickly. 

I think the major difference with fans is some think he can't turn it around and some think he can or are at least willing to give him more than 4 league games.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, GinRummy said:

Would seventh be ok this season, on the off chance we might win the league next year?

You make no sense. The point is how we did last season doesn't at all indicate what this season will be like. Not only that but in the season I'm talking about (I'm guessing you didn't experience it) we started much worse than this year and still almost won the league.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:rofl: Jesus, there’s no hope with you man

I'm being serious. When did seasons start running into each other? This is a new thing.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Budge (and Levein) acted decisively and ruthlessly when they decided Locke and some of the layers should go.

When it was clear Cathro was not capable of turning things around, they acted quickly and again ruthlessly considering how close Levein and Cathro were.

There's no reason at all to think if it becomes clear we can't turn this around under Levein and co that Budge won't act quickly. 

I think the major difference with fans is some think he can't turn it around and some think he can or are at least willing to give him more than 4 league games.

Tbh you’re losing any semblance of credibility by only considering league games. We’ve played 9 games. The league cup is one of only 2 trophies we have an outside chance of winning. Those games are vital. _

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, GinRummy said:

Tbh you’re losing any semblance of credibility by only considering league games. We’ve played 9 games. The league cup is one of only 2 trophies we have an outside chance of winning. Those games are vital. _

See my previous post. Motherwell were brilliant in those LC games and we beat them easily. 

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You make no sense. The point is how we did last season doesn't at all indicate what this season will be like. Not only that but in the season I'm talking about (I'm guessing you didn't experience it) we started much worse than this year and still almost won the league.

I was 15 and at Dens Park. I understand past performance isn’t always an accurate indication of future returns as well. The point you’re not getting is quite often it is and 9 games is a decent number to form an opinion on how we are playing and are likely to continue to play. 

Edited by GinRummy

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The league cup games were all about qualifying, like any early round cup game. I don't remember being worried about our season when we scraped past Auchinleck or the many other times we've scraped through in early rounds against smaller teams we *should* be gubbing.

Good you mention Motherwell. They skooshed the league cup group games, scoring for fun. We then put them out easily. So they mean very little in the grand scheme of things. Qualifying, getting players match fit for the league start and avoiding injuries is surely what matters?

Easily? We were clinging on at the end because we didn’t score the few good chances we created. 

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Glad you mentioned that, the manager is still using the same tactics.

You said earlier every season is different and the manager shouldn’t be judged on it?Changed your mind to defend Levein.

If you remember we had one big difference, in 1985-6 we had a wee guy called John Colquhoun who made a world of difference in how we played. I’m pretty sure that 9 competitive games later we weren't sitting 2nd bottom either. 

Do you think Levein should still be manager?

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, GinRummy said:

I was 15 and at Dens Park. I understand past performance isn’t always an accurate indication of future returns as well. The point you’re not getting is quite often it is and 9 games is a decent number to form an opinion on how we are playing and re likely to continue to play. 

If you think so. Others might look at those LC games and see us trying a few combinations of players, including some youngsters, looking at different formations, and working out what gaps we still needed to fill recruitment wise, while also obviously trying to qualify - which we did easily by the way. If you think those games mean more then that's up to you. 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

See my previous post. Motherwell were brilliant in those LC games and we beat them easily. 

We played very well at Motherwell.  Playing well once in 9 games is not good enough. Of course under the current circumstances people aren’t going to ignore last seasons awful form because the way we are playing, with a better group of players, is just as poor.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Nonsense, Levein didn’t want Cathro to go, the board made that decision against his wishes.

Pasquale for King
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

If you think so. Others might look at those LC games and see us trying a few combinations of players, including some youngsters, looking at different formations, and working out what gaps we still needed to fill recruitment wise, while also obviously trying to qualify - which we did easily by the way. If you think those games mean more then that's up to you. 

We played 442 every game.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We played very well at Motherwell.  Playing well once in 9 games is not good enough. Of course under the current circumstances people aren’t going to ignore last seasons awful form because the way we are playing, with a better group of players, is just as poor.

Best squad he’s ever had, worst results.

Johnny Sandiego

I do wonder what it will take for the clock to get re-set so to speak, and the pressure comes off Levein.

Currently im firmly in the Levein to be replaced as manager, and actually dont mind if he stays as DOF or not. But i have been wondering if that opinion would change should we win our next 4 games.

Will we ever get back to a place with Levein in charge, where if we lose there are no calls for him to be sacked, or are we now too far down the line?

I personally just want to win football matches, regardless of whos in charge, but get the feeling that others are that fed up with Levein that even a solid run of form for the next 10-12 games wouldnt be enough. I can totally understand that opinion though and not suggesting that anyone is right or wrong.

Edited by Johnny Sandiego
Spelling

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Easily? We were clinging on at the end because we didn’t score the few good chances we created. 

Glad you mentioned that, the manager is still using the same tactics.

You said earlier every season is different and the manager shouldn’t be judged on it?Changed your mind to defend Levein.

If you remember we had one big difference, in 1985-6 we had a wee guy called John Colquhoun who made a world of difference in how we played. I’m pretty sure that 9 competitive games later we weren't sitting 2nd bottom either. 

Do you think Levein should still be manager?

What are you on about? You said the past season is an indicator of this one. Experience should tell you that's not how football works. I've been consistent in that I think injuries ruined last season and I think Levein deserves a chance to turn it around in his last year of his contract. I also think our recruitment has been outstanding this summer and again that's down to Levein. I'm not a big Levein fan - didn't want him to get the head coach job and didn't especially enjoy his previous time in charge - I just think he deserves a chance to turn things around as he was unlucky last season after the start we had. I don't have a time limit but I'll know if I want him out when I want him out. Haven't got there yet but am close. I'll let you know.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Come on eh? Easily? You make some ok points and then say that. There was nothing easy about our qualification was there? We struggled against teams we shouldn’t struggle against. Be honest man.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nonsense, Levein didn’t want Cathro to go, the board made that decision against his wishes.

Right so Levein's not the dictator we're told he is? Getting confused now. So where's the worry that he won't be sacked if form doesn't improve? Clearly if we're still bottom in 3 weeks or so he'll be sacked.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Come on eh? Easily? You make some ok points and then say that. There was nothing easy about our qualification was there? We struggled against teams we shouldn’t struggle against. Be honest man.

I was never worried for one second we wouldn't qualify.

I was never worried for one second we wouldn't qualify.

I think that shows your positive, optimistic outlook rather than convincing displays on the pitch. You’re a glass half full kinda guy.

On 10/09/2019 at 17:36, ToqueJambo said:

I predict a few loonies as this guarantees we'll win on Saturday. Did they learn nothing from the plane stunt?

Winning on Saturday won’t change the opinion of most that want Levein replaced.

Going on a run of wins that pushes us up to 3rd in the league and towards a trip to Hampden is required.

28 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think the flaw in your argument there is the fact Levein done the firing.

you think he’ll fire himself?

Budge won’t pull that trigger as she leans far too heavily on Levein.

name someone else within the club who could be her go to person to get shot of Levein.

He is here until he decides it’s time.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I think the flaw in your argument there is the fact Levein done the firing.

you think he’ll fire himself?

Budge won’t pull that trigger as she leans far too heavily on Levein.

name someone else within the club who could be her go to person to get shot of Levein.

He is here until he decides it’s time.

Well he didn't appoint himself so he probably won't fire himself. Whoever appointed him will do that. Personally I think it'll be a "mutual parting of the ways" if it comes to that and I think he will step back into a DoF type role at least for a transition period.

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Winning on Saturday won’t change the opinion of most that want Levein replaced.

Going on a run of wins that pushes us up to 3rd in the league and towards a trip to Hampden is required.

I agree, some have wanted him out from day 1. We're already one game away from Hampden so here's hoping.

Well he didn't appoint himself so he probably won't fire himself. Whoever appointed him will do that. Personally I think it'll be a "mutual parting of the ways" if it comes to that and I think he will step back into a DoF type role at least for a transition period.

I hope you’re right.

who said he didn’t appoint himself though?

none of us were privy to discussions at board level when he was appointed.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, 1874robbo said:

I hope you’re right.

who said he didn’t appoint himself though?

none of us were privy to discussions at board level when he was appointed.

He didn't apply. Budge asked (or told) him.

He didn't apply. Budge asked (or told) him.

I have no way to say that did or didn’t happen.

and unless you were there neither do you.

for all we know he maybe did offer to do the job before he was asked?

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I have no way to say that did or didn’t happen.

and unless you were there neither do you.

for all we know he maybe did offer to do the job before he was asked?

She said the board asked him. Kind of like when your boss asks you to work Saturday. He's not really *asking*. He's also on record as saying he didn't really want to be a manager again. That's why I didn't want him to get the job and I still think it's motivation that's the problem now. Players want to play for someone who really wants to succeed themselves as a manager, eg Robbie Neilson got way more from his players than I think Levein does.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

She said the board asked him. Kind of like when your boss asks you to work Saturday. He's not really *asking*. He's also on record as saying he didn't really want to be a manager again. That's why I didn't want him to get the job and I still think it's motivation that's the problem now. Players want to play for someone who really wants to succeed themselves as a manager, eg Robbie Neilson got way more from his players than I think Levein does.

Yeh you could be right mate.

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

But not in the first league game.

Indeed so what was the point of not trying that formation? We were crap until we changed it when Naismith came on though. 

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Right so Levein's not the dictator we're told he is? Getting confused now. So where's the worry that he won't be sacked if form doesn't improve? Clearly if we're still bottom in 3 weeks or so he'll be sacked.

The worry stems from the fact he’s still in the job, but I hope you’re right in that the board will sack him.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm being serious. When did seasons start running into each other? This is a new thing.

Managers do not get, and have never had, a clean slate in summer. It’s not year zero. Levein has a track record and it’s absolutely dismal. We’ve started this season poorly and much as you’d like to, you cannot just erase what’s gone before.

In the same way that you wouldn’t erase the cup final if he’d won it. Which he didn’t.

If we see no improvement by end of of October I will change my vote from 1st to 2nd option. We need to see real progress now that the deadwood has been cut and this is unequivocally CL's team.